PDA

View Full Version : Nesting or obsessing?

xkatx
June 16th 06, 09:49 PM
So, I've decided to clean out closets and storage boxes.
A month or so ago, I went through DS's closet and pulled out all the clothes
that he's grown out of and hauled over about 4 boxes of jackets, pants,
shirts, snow suits, shoes and boots to someone I know that's a single mom
with 2 young boys. Figured she'd get use of them a lot faster than I ever
will.
Now, I'm going through the infant clothes I have from DS and giving those
all away. I posted on the local freecycle for a bunch of newborn-12m size
baby clothes that I never put DD in, as it's very boyish clothes - mostly
all blue or dark green, and very clearly boy outfits and items.
I'm going to finish rounding up the very boy clothes 12m and smaller and
pass those on to someone else who could get use of them, then go through the
12m+ stuff from DS and give them to my girl friend who's baby was born same
day as DD. I was kind of stuck on if I should see if this friend wanted
them or another friend who has a baby boy 5 weeks younger than DD, but then
I decided to go to DD's twin bday friend, as I figure this friend's been my
best friend since we were in junior high, we had babies on the exact same
day and she's not as well off as the other friend is. I asked her and she
could definitely use clothes, and I remember she had ALWAYS commented on how
DS was dressed and all that ;)
Then... I'm going to go through DD's closet. I realize this next one is
going to be totally opposite for seasons and clothes than DD is, and we do
not plan to have any more in the near or distant future. Round up all the
clothes that I have stored away that DD never ever wore and pass those on as
well. I have, seriously, about 20 boxes (the boxes you get with a case of
Papmers diapers) PACKED of baby girl clothes under 12m that DD has grown out
of. Packing it away originally, I realized that a lot of the clothes DD
didn't even wear :(

So that brings me to question 1.
The boy stuff is going, as we do not plan to use it. (Yes, I am hoping that
the u/s tech was right, and we don't end up with Surprise! It's a boy! But
both DH and I have the same feeling of a girl, and have all along anyways)
The girl's items, however, is making me think too hard and sweat too much
over it all.
In YOUR opinion, for those who have children already and even those who are
expecting their first, how much should I keep as far as clothes go? I don't
believe 92948 sleepers are necessary all in 3m size. I also don't believe
ANY baby needs 839 pairs of socks or 1.9 million undershirts of the same
size. I want to sort through and keep a reasonable and useable amount of
clothing for this next baby.
How many sleepers should I keep?
How many pairs of socks?
How many dresses?
How many outfits?
How many shirts and pairs of pants?
How many undershirts?

(This is, of course, meaning of each size...)

Obviously saying keep 10 sleepers total isn't going to happen, but 10
sleepers for 3m size, 10 sleepers 6m size, etc., might be fine. What do you
think? I think I have no idea, but with maybe some input and guidance on
what you would keep or what you currently have might help me go through
everything and pick out X amount of my fav items of each and in each size...

Now... Question 2... I almost feel like I'm nesting all over again, yet I
remember clearly when I stopped half way up the stairs with a basket of
laundry and realized by noon I had done about 5 loads of laundry, done all
the dishes, swept, mopped and vacuumed all the floors, dusted top to bottom,
cleaned the car out completely and rearranged the expecting baby's clothes
in order of color in the closet and said, "OMG... I'm nesting?!?!" and DD
was born 2 days later.
I'm nowhere near that point of being anywhere close to EDD, so is there
nesting in the middle of a pregnancy? Would it be called becoming obsessed
with something? Is this normal? I'm using the excuse of getting rid of the
boy clothes as someone else could start stashing away clothes for their baby
that they're expecting, and I'm using the excuse of planning to go through
DD's stuff as that summer is coming, DD is a summer baby, and since her
clothes are all suitable for a baby born any time now, someone could get use
of them right away.

Welches
June 16th 06, 10:08 PM
"xkatx" > wrote in message

> So that brings me to question 1.
> The boy stuff is going, as we do not plan to use it. (Yes, I am hoping
> that the u/s tech was right, and we don't end up with Surprise! It's a
> boy! But both DH and I have the same feeling of a girl, and have all along
> anyways)
In your previous post you thought it was a boy ;-P

> The girl's items, however, is making me think too hard and sweat too much
> over it all.
> In YOUR opinion, for those who have children already and even those who
> are expecting their first, how much should I keep as far as clothes go? I
> don't believe 92948 sleepers are necessary all in 3m size. I also don't
> believe ANY baby needs 839 pairs of socks or 1.9 million undershirts of
> the same size. I want to sort through and keep a reasonable and useable
> amount of clothing for this next baby.
> How many sleepers should I keep?
> How many pairs of socks?
> How many dresses?
> How many outfits?
> How many shirts and pairs of pants?
> How many undershirts?

In 0-3/3-6m: I'd say about 7 sleepers and about 2 dresses/outfits, but I
kept them in sleepers most of the time at that stage. (until with #2 and #1
objected that she was going out in pj) and 7 vests. Depending on the weather
you may need tights for dresses, otherwise keep a few socks.
After that I'd keep about 3 sleepers, 2 dresses, 7 outfits, 7 undershirts.

I think that would be my basic allowance, banking on getting one or two
extra stuff either as presents, or just to have something that's just
theirs. I hate baby socks so use them as little as I can.

> (This is, of course, meaning of each size...)
>
> Obviously saying keep 10 sleepers total isn't going to happen, but 10
> sleepers for 3m size, 10 sleepers 6m size, etc., might be fine. What do
> you think? I think I have no idea, but with maybe some input and guidance
> on what you would keep or what you currently have might help me go through
> everything and pick out X amount of my fav items of each and in each
> size...
>
> Now... Question 2... I almost feel like I'm nesting all over again, yet I
> remember clearly when I stopped half way up the stairs with a basket of
> laundry and realized by noon I had done about 5 loads of laundry, done all
> the dishes, swept, mopped and vacuumed all the floors, dusted top to
> bottom, cleaned the car out completely and rearranged the expecting baby's
> clothes in order of color in the closet and said, "OMG... I'm nesting?!?!"
> and DD was born 2 days later.
> I'm nowhere near that point of being anywhere close to EDD, so is there
> nesting in the middle of a pregnancy? Would it be called becoming
> obsessed with something? Is this normal? I'm using the excuse of getting
> rid of the boy clothes as someone else could start stashing away clothes
> for their baby that they're expecting, and I'm using the excuse of
> planning to go through DD's stuff as that summer is coming, DD is a summer
> baby, and since her clothes are all suitable for a baby born any time now,
> someone could get use of them right away.
I found that knowing the sex made me feel that I needed to get all the girl
stuff ready. I knew about the same time as you, and I remember trying to get
dh to get the stuff down the loft for me and him pointing out I was only
half way through.
Debbie

Ericka Kammerer
June 16th 06, 10:30 PM
xkatx wrote:

> In YOUR opinion, for those who have children already and even those who are
> expecting their first, how much should I keep as far as clothes go?

It's hard to say. You don't really *need* much at
all, especially if you're doing laundry regularly. If you
end up with a spitty baby, you'll need more. Practically,
though, the limit is what fits nicely in the dresser (or
wherever else you're putting the baby clothes).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Jamie Clark
June 16th 06, 11:10 PM
Welches wrote:
> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>
>> So that brings me to question 1.
>> The boy stuff is going, as we do not plan to use it. (Yes, I am
>> hoping that the u/s tech was right, and we don't end up with
>> Surprise! It's a boy! But both DH and I have the same feeling of a
>> girl, and have all along anyways)
> In your previous post you thought it was a boy ;-P
>
>> The girl's items, however, is making me think too hard and sweat too
>> much over it all.
>> In YOUR opinion, for those who have children already and even those
>> who are expecting their first, how much should I keep as far as
>> clothes go? I don't believe 92948 sleepers are necessary all in 3m
>> size. I also don't believe ANY baby needs 839 pairs of socks or 1.9
>> million undershirts of the same size. I want to sort through and
>> keep a reasonable and useable amount of clothing for this next baby.
>> How many sleepers should I keep?
>> How many pairs of socks?
>> How many dresses?
>> How many outfits?
>> How many shirts and pairs of pants?
>> How many undershirts?
>>
> In 0-3/3-6m: I'd say about 7 sleepers and about 2 dresses/outfits,
> but I kept them in sleepers most of the time at that stage. (until
> with #2 and #1 objected that she was going out in pj) and 7 vests.
> Depending on the weather you may need tights for dresses, otherwise
> keep a few socks. After that I'd keep about 3 sleepers, 2 dresses, 7
> outfits, 7
> undershirts.

See, I'm one of those really practical people, who doesn't really do the
whole frilly thing, especially with babies. Pink is fine, but I hate
dresses on babies that cannot walk. So most dresses under 12 month size
would be pitched in my book. There are plenty of cute sleeper type outfits,
or pants/onesies/jacket outfits that are plenty pink and girly enough, but
just not dresses. For a babe in arms, dresses just hike up and show the
diaper, and for a crawling baby, they just get caught under their knees and
slow them down. But once their walking -- bring them on! I love dresses at
that point!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

C Thompson
June 16th 06, 11:42 PM
> In YOUR opinion, for those who have children already and even those who
> are expecting their first, how much should I keep as far as clothes go? I
> don't believe 92948 sleepers are necessary all in 3m size. I also don't
> believe ANY baby needs 839 pairs of socks or 1.9 million undershirts of
> the same size. I want to sort through and keep a reasonable and useable
> amount of clothing for this next baby.
> How many sleepers should I keep?
> How many pairs of socks?
> How many dresses?
> How many outfits?
> How many shirts and pairs of pants?
> How many undershirts?

With #1 I had TOOOOOOOOOOO many clothes and stuff and so much was wasted. So
with #2 I tried to keep with the one week rule. One week of sleepers, one
week of daytime outfits, and twice that number for onesies, socks and or
t-shirts. My two were always blow out poopers, and really bad spitters, so
we sometimes went through more than one sleeper, or one outfit in a day and
with a week's worth I knew there were extras tucked away. I also always had
a few pairs of warm ups or cotton pants handy regardless of the season just
in case the evening was cool.

I also had a good stock of large bibs, not those little useless drool bibs
they were so small that they didn't serve much purpose. I used the bigger
ones most of the time and my sister made some for me out of fingertip towels
that were my absolute favorite since they were very absorbant and easily
washable.

> I'm nowhere near that point of being anywhere close to EDD, so is there
> nesting in the middle of a pregnancy? Would it be called becoming
> obsessed with something? Is this normal?

With #1 I nested almost the entire pregnancy. I was constantly cleaning,
painting, rearranging, organizing, I hope to G*d it was normal cause
otherwise there are some issues I need to go back and discuss.

Cindi

I'm using the excuse of getting rid of the
> boy clothes as someone else could start stashing away clothes for their
> baby that they're expecting, and I'm using the excuse of planning to go
> through DD's stuff as that summer is coming, DD is a summer baby, and
> since her clothes are all suitable for a baby born any time now, someone
> could get use of them right away.

Denise~*
June 17th 06, 12:26 AM
Welches wrote:

> In your previous post you thought it was a boy ;-P

read again, they were hoping it would be a boy. :-)

> So, we both said we were hoping for a boy. :D I made DH
> open the folded paper and it says, "It's a girl!! :)"

lucy-lu
June 17th 06, 10:18 AM
xkatx wrote:

> I'm nowhere near that point of being anywhere close to EDD, so is there
> nesting in the middle of a pregnancy? Would it be called becoming obsessed
> with something? Is this normal?

I hope so :) I had a big nesting period at 6 months pg where I was
obsessively trying to get everything done - I decorated, shopped, washed
all the baby stuff.... Fortunately now, all I do is the normal housework
- I'm doing that a bit obsessively though as I don't want to risk coming
back from the hospital to any mess :))

Welches
June 17th 06, 10:42 AM
"Denise~*" > wrote in message
> Welches wrote:
>
>> In your previous post you thought it was a boy ;-P
>
> read again, they were hoping it would be a boy. :-)

The post "Ultrasound today" ended with
"Any guesses on what this one could be? I am thinking boy, although I've
had
very opposite symptoms and such with boys than I did with the girl. This
time, it seems to be mixed symptoms, but I'm going to throw out that it's a
boy anyways"
I'm only teasing really. I only remembered because I read that thread
followed by this thread! I'll stop nit-picjing now.
Sorry
Debbie

Welches
June 17th 06, 10:44 AM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
. ..
> Welches wrote:
>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>
> See, I'm one of those really practical people, who doesn't really do the
> whole frilly thing, especially with babies. Pink is fine, but I hate
> dresses on babies that cannot walk. So most dresses under 12 month size
> would be pitched in my book. There are plenty of cute sleeper type
> outfits, or pants/onesies/jacket outfits that are plenty pink and girly
> enough, but just not dresses. For a babe in arms, dresses just hike up
> and show the diaper, and for a crawling baby, they just get caught under
> their knees and slow them down. But once their walking -- bring them on!
> I love dresses at that point!

Dresses are nice if it's very hot, and I was thinking for special occasions
really. (you know when Great-Aunt comes...)
Personally I like dungarees on small ones (with poppers up the legs) but
neither of mine like trousers. Sigh.
Debbie

lucy-lu
June 17th 06, 10:46 AM
Welches wrote:

> Dresses are nice if it's very hot, and I was thinking for special occasions
> really. (you know when Great-Aunt comes...)
> Personally I like dungarees on small ones (with poppers up the legs) but
> neither of mine like trousers. Sigh.
> Debbie

Aww, dungarees are gorgeous :)) My SIL gave me a few pairs as she
doesn't like denim on babies, but I love it on both sexes, I think it's
really cute :)

Lucy

Jamie Clark
June 17th 06, 04:04 PM
Welches wrote:
> "Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Welches wrote:
>>> "xkatx" > wrote in message
>>
>> See, I'm one of those really practical people, who doesn't really do
>> the whole frilly thing, especially with babies. Pink is fine, but I
>> hate dresses on babies that cannot walk. So most dresses under 12
>> month size would be pitched in my book. There are plenty of cute
>> sleeper type outfits, or pants/onesies/jacket outfits that are
>> plenty pink and girly enough, but just not dresses. For a babe in
>> arms, dresses just hike up and show the diaper, and for a crawling
>> baby, they just get caught under their knees and slow them down. But once
>> their walking -- bring them on! I love dresses at that
>> point!
> Dresses are nice if it's very hot, and I was thinking for special
> occasions really. (you know when Great-Aunt comes...)
> Personally I like dungarees on small ones (with poppers up the legs)
> but neither of mine like trousers. Sigh.
> Debbie

When it's really hot here, I'd put my infants in either just onesies, or
those little sun suits, that looks like a short dress, but has a onesie snap
underneath.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CSUT60/qid=1150556563/br=1-3/ref=br_lf_ba_3//002-6078165-2623259?v=glance&s=baby&n=14187171

But anything longer than that is just going to get in the way, in my
opinion.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Jamie Clark
June 17th 06, 04:07 PM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Welches wrote:
>>>
>> Dresses are nice if it's very hot, and I was thinking for special
>> occasions really. (you know when Great-Aunt comes...)
>> Personally I like dungarees on small ones (with poppers up the legs)
>> but neither of mine like trousers. Sigh.
>> Debbie
>>

> Aww, dungarees are gorgeous :)) My SIL gave me a few pairs as she
> doesn't like denim on babies, but I love it on both sexes, I think
> it's really cute :)
>
> Lucy

Count me in as one who doesn't like denim on babies either. Holding up a
pair of jeans, they are really cute and tiny, but then you put them on baby
and they are so stiff and restrictive. They just aren't comfortable or
practical. I have seen a few pairs where the actual denim fabric wasn't the
normal kind that you'd see on a pair of jeans for an adult, but rather a
much thinner variety, and those work okay, but standard denim material is
far to heavy and bulky, especially when it's doubled up for the seams, etc.
The kid can barely move their legs! Again, once they are slightly older and
walking, it's better, but watching them try to bend their little
knees...it's pitiful! I like soft elastic waist pants that babies can crawl
and creep in, and then be put to sleep in.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Denise~*
June 17th 06, 05:53 PM
Welches wrote:
> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>
>>Welches wrote:
>>

>>>In your previous post you thought it was a boy ;-P
>>
>>read again, they were hoping it would be a boy. :-)
>>

> The post "Ultrasound today" ended with
> "Any guesses on what this one could be? I am thinking boy, although I've
> had
> very opposite symptoms and such with boys than I did with the girl. This
> time, it seems to be mixed symptoms, but I'm going to throw out that it's a
> boy anyways"
> I'm only teasing really. I only remembered because I read that thread
> followed by this thread! I'll stop nit-picjing now.
> Sorry
> Debbie

I was just giving you a hard time (ie; teasing) I was hoping the smilie
wouda given me away. :-)