PDA

View Full Version : Born at 32 weeks & doing great!

Alana
June 18th 06, 03:00 AM
Hi dear moms out there,

Just wanted to let you all know that through the hyperemesis,
subchorionic bleeding, complete placenta previa, 5cm+ cyst in right
ovary, bleeds with hospital stays, and final admittance to hospital to
wait out my body (which only ended up being about a week exactly before
final hemmorhage with placental abruption that nearly killed both baby
& I), that we are both now doing FANTASTIC!

Born only at 32w4days, Isabelle is a champion at the Level 2 NICU.
She's now 5lbs3.6oz and 35 weeks today! Mastering the art of oral
feeding is her current goal, as well as maintaining her weight gain.
She's up to 3 feedings a day now (1 bottle- required in the beginning
by the NICU, 2 breast) and doing GREAT! The lactation consultant says
she is the best she's seen, and that I am also- which is very kind &
encouraging. I suppose it helps that I breastfed my son for a year & a
half and went through EVERY breastfeeding issue with him already.

I pump ALL of the time, okay- not all, but it feels like it often.
We're maintaining our supply well, and now that the breastfeeding
started this week, it's improved more so. Isabelle has only ever had
breastmilk in her life, first through the NG tube (nasal gastric) and
now with her PO feedings (orally). So just an encouragement- you CAN
do it!!! :) Hang in there.

Cheers,
Alana

PK
June 18th 06, 04:05 AM
Alana wrote:
> Hi dear moms out there,
>
> Just wanted to let you all know that through the hyperemesis,
> subchorionic bleeding, complete placenta previa, 5cm+ cyst in right
> ovary, bleeds with hospital stays, and final admittance to hospital to
> wait out my body (which only ended up being about a week exactly before
> final hemmorhage with placental abruption that nearly killed both baby
> & I), that we are both now doing FANTASTIC!

Many Congratulations ! She sounds like a strong little girl. Good Luck
and I hope you both settle down quickly.

PK

Missy
June 18th 06, 09:46 AM
Alana wrote:
> Hi dear moms out there,
>
> Just wanted to let you all know that through the hyperemesis,
> subchorionic bleeding, complete placenta previa, 5cm+ cyst in right
> ovary, bleeds with hospital stays, and final admittance to hospital to
> wait out my body (which only ended up being about a week exactly before
> final hemmorhage with placental abruption that nearly killed both baby
> & I), that we are both now doing FANTASTIC!
>
> Cheers,
> Alana

Congratulations! You've been through so much. I'm so happy that things
are looking as positive as possible. You're doing a great job! How
are you feeling? Is your body healing OK? I hope so.

-- Missy
Baby Boo edd December 25th

Anne Rogers
June 18th 06, 10:33 AM
I'm glad things are going well, but what a silly NICU policy to insist on
one bottlefeeding, can you not exert your parental rights and not let them
do it.

I've no experience in feeding preemies, but I had a low birth weight 37
weeker, and since then I've had a normal baby, with the small one, his suck
was so week that had I given him anything else to suck it would have been a
disaster, in fact even a dummy at 4 weeks old was a really bad move (don't
tell me they've given her a pacifier too...).

Remember, you are the parent, they can't do anything without your consent. I
would find out why they want her to have a bottle and find out your own
information about why she shouldn't (in all my recollection for preemies you
want to breastfeed, it's avoid all artificial nipples).

Good on you for al the pumping.

Anne

sharalyns
June 19th 06, 03:43 PM
Alana wrote:
> Hi dear moms out there,
>
> Just wanted to let you all know that through the hyperemesis,
> subchorionic bleeding, complete placenta previa, 5cm+ cyst in right
> ovary, bleeds with hospital stays, and final admittance to hospital to
> wait out my body (which only ended up being about a week exactly before
> final hemmorhage with placental abruption that nearly killed both baby
> & I), that we are both now doing FANTASTIC!
>
> Born only at 32w4days, Isabelle is a champion at the Level 2 NICU.
> She's now 5lbs3.6oz and 35 weeks today! Mastering the art of oral
> feeding is her current goal, as well as maintaining her weight gain.
> She's up to 3 feedings a day now (1 bottle- required in the beginning
> by the NICU, 2 breast) and doing GREAT! The lactation consultant says
> she is the best she's seen, and that I am also- which is very kind &
> encouraging. I suppose it helps that I breastfed my son for a year & a
> half and went through EVERY breastfeeding issue with him already.
>
> I pump ALL of the time, okay- not all, but it feels like it often.
> We're maintaining our supply well, and now that the breastfeeding
> started this week, it's improved more so. Isabelle has only ever had
> breastmilk in her life, first through the NG tube (nasal gastric) and
> now with her PO feedings (orally). So just an encouragement- you CAN
> do it!!! :) Hang in there.
>
> Cheers,
> Alana

Yay! Congrats--sounds lovely!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander (9/21/01)

Joybelle
June 22nd 06, 07:40 PM
"Alana" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I pump ALL of the time, okay- not all, but it feels like it often.
> We're maintaining our supply well, and now that the breastfeeding
> started this week, it's improved more so. Isabelle has only ever had
> breastmilk in her life, first through the NG tube (nasal gastric) and
> now with her PO feedings (orally). So just an encouragement- you CAN
> do it!!! :) Hang in there.

Alana,
That's Awesome! I'm glad little Isabelle is doing so well, and it sounds
like things are going well for you, too. Thanks for the update!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01