PDA

View Full Version : Stuffy nose/can't breathe. Symptom or just allergy?

cjra
June 19th 06, 03:05 PM
In the 1st and 2nd trimester I had a constant stuffed up nose. FInally
went away. Every one said that was typical pregnancy symptom.

Last week (37w) it came back in full force. Though I've suffered
allergies in other places I've lived, I'm still not entirely sure what
allergies I suffer locally. I've not had any major allergic reactions
to the local flora - at least not the sneezing watery eyes kind I'd
normally get, so it's not so obvious.

Could also be the a/c - normally we wouldn't be using it, as it does
dry out my sinuses, but with every day being over 95F for weeks now and
humidity being high, and the pg, we've been using it a lot more.

So anyone get sinus issues at the end of pg or is this just
run-of-the-mill allergy stuff?

June 19th 06, 07:34 PM
cjra wrote:
> In the 1st and 2nd trimester I had a constant stuffed up nose. FInally
> went away. Every one said that was typical pregnancy symptom.
>
> Last week (37w) it came back in full force. Though I've suffered
> allergies in other places I've lived, I'm still not entirely sure what
> allergies I suffer locally. I've not had any major allergic reactions
> to the local flora - at least not the sneezing watery eyes kind I'd
> normally get, so it's not so obvious.
>
> Could also be the a/c - normally we wouldn't be using it, as it does
> dry out my sinuses, but with every day being over 95F for weeks now and
> humidity being high, and the pg, we've been using it a lot more.
>
> So anyone get sinus issues at the end of pg or is this just
> run-of-the-mill allergy stuff?

I'd guess allergies or (I hope not) the beginnings of a cold.
Just got back from the pediatrician with #1 son. I was positive he had
strep
as it has been going around the area. Nope. Just a wicked virus,
according to the NP
it's been so bad the last few weeks it was like flu season.
I hope, hope, hope that it's just a reaction to the moderate mold in
the air and not
illness.
The only sure fire way to know if it is allergies is to take an
antihistamine. Benadryl is cat b but
I'm guessing you don't want to take drugs just to get some information.

Karen (lives in the same city as you do)

cjra
June 19th 06, 07:57 PM
wrote:

> I'd guess allergies or (I hope not) the beginnings of a cold.
> Just got back from the pediatrician with #1 son. I was positive he had
> strep
> as it has been going around the area. Nope. Just a wicked virus,
> according to the NP
> it's been so bad the last few weeks it was like flu season.
> I hope, hope, hope that it's just a reaction to the moderate mold in
> the air and not
> illness.
> The only sure fire way to know if it is allergies is to take an
> antihistamine. Benadryl is cat b but
> I'm guessing you don't want to take drugs just to get some information.
>
> Karen (lives in the same city as you do)

Really?

Yeah, there has been a slight increase in flu-like illness locally, but
nothing too substantial yet (it's what I review every day ;-))

Hope your son gets better soon!

My nose has cleared up for now, so allergies may be the culprit.

June 19th 06, 09:18 PM
cjra wrote:
> wrote:
>

> > I'd guess allergies or (I hope not) the beginnings of a cold.
> > Just got back from the pediatrician with #1 son. I was positive he had
> > strep
> > as it has been going around the area. Nope. Just a wicked virus,
> > according to the NP
> > it's been so bad the last few weeks it was like flu season.
> > I hope, hope, hope that it's just a reaction to the moderate mold in
> > the air and not
> > illness.
> > The only sure fire way to know if it is allergies is to take an
> > antihistamine. Benadryl is cat b but
> > I'm guessing you don't want to take drugs just to get some information.
> >
> > Karen (lives in the same city as you do)
>
> Really?

Yup. Out in Wilson County.

> Yeah, there has been a slight increase in flu-like illness locally, but
> nothing too substantial yet (it's what I review every day ;-))
>
> Hope your son gets better soon!

He'll be fine. He's already feeling a little better I think, of course
that is AFTER the $20 co-pay.
Now we'll have to see how the other 6 fare. As long as the 1 month old
doesn't catch it (exclusively breastfed so unlikely) then we will be
fine. First time meeting the NP at this practice. I liked her. Too bad
that we will be switching to a local FP as soon as she starts taking
new patients again but driving an hour to the pediatrician is
ridiculous. I'm a little picky and just going to the nearest available
doc doesn't always work out well.

> My nose has cleared up for now, so allergies may be the culprit.

Maybe the rain helped it out a little. Glad you are feeling better. No
woman needs any added discomforts during her last few weeks.

cjra
June 19th 06, 09:29 PM
wrote:
> cjra wrote:

> > > Karen (lives in the same city as you do)
> >
> > Really?
>
> Yup. Out in Wilson County.
>

> > Yeah, there has been a slight increase in flu-like illness locally, but
> > nothing too substantial yet (it's what I review every day ;-))
> >
> > Hope your son gets better soon!
>
> He'll be fine. He's already feeling a little better I think, of course
> that is AFTER the $20 co-pay.
> Now we'll have to see how the other 6 fare. As long as the 1 month old
> doesn't catch it (exclusively breastfed so unlikely) then we will be
> fine. First time meeting the NP at this practice. I liked her. Too bad
> that we will be switching to a local FP as soon as she starts taking
> new patients again but driving an hour to the pediatrician is
> ridiculous. I'm a little picky and just going to the nearest available
> doc doesn't always work out well.

Oh yuck, driving an hour would stink. I can't complain then. There are
a few pedis near me (downtown SA), but the one everyone recommended is
up in Medical and I really liked him so that's where we'll go. It's
only 30 mins though, so I should be happy!

> > My nose has cleared up for now, so allergies may be the culprit.
>
> Maybe the rain helped it out a little. Glad you are feeling better. No
> woman needs any added discomforts during her last few weeks.

Thanks :) It's probably allergies, as now I've been inside all day.

June 19th 06, 10:39 PM
> Oh yuck, driving an hour would stink. I can't complain then. There are
> a few pedis near me (downtown SA), but the one everyone recommended is
> up in Medical and I really liked him so that's where we'll go. It's
> only 30 mins though, so I should be happy!

Lantry?

30 minutes isn't bad at all. I DREAM of 30 minutes to the doc. :-)
I like living out in the country but sometimes it is a real PIA.

cjra
June 19th 06, 10:43 PM
wrote:
> > Oh yuck, driving an hour would stink. I can't complain then. There are
> > a few pedis near me (downtown SA), but the one everyone recommended is
> > up in Medical and I really liked him so that's where we'll go. It's
> > only 30 mins though, so I should be happy!
> >

> Lantry?

Ozer.

> 30 minutes isn't bad at all. I DREAM of 30 minutes to the doc. :-)
> I like living out in the country but sometimes it is a real PIA.

I hate driving - I live downtown for a reason! My dream is to be able
to walk everywhere. Unfortunately my office moved from downtown to SE
Military so now I have to drive all of 15 mins, but I miss walking.
Does beat the 1 hr commute I used to do though.

June 19th 06, 11:00 PM
> I hate driving - I live downtown for a reason! My dream is to be able
> to walk everywhere. Unfortunately my office moved from downtown to SE
> Military so now I have to drive all of 15 mins, but I miss walking.
> Does beat the 1 hr commute I used to do though.

Thankfully I like driving (the gas is killer though) Growing up on the
East Coast conditioned me for that.
Dh works on Soledad, it takes him about 35-40 minutes to get to work.
It was over an hour in CT, so we're content. The mileage is more but
the traffic is almost non
existant. Part of the reason we are out here and not north of SA is we
did not want to deal
with all the congestion. It's insane up there!

Are you down at the infectious disease center?

cjra
June 19th 06, 11:07 PM
wrote:
> > I hate driving - I live downtown for a reason! My dream is to be able
> > to walk everywhere. Unfortunately my office moved from downtown to SE
> > Military so now I have to drive all of 15 mins, but I miss walking.
> > Does beat the 1 hr commute I used to do though.
>
> Thankfully I like driving (the gas is killer though) Growing up on the
> East Coast conditioned me for that.
> Dh works on Soledad, it takes him about 35-40 minutes to get to work.
> It was over an hour in CT, so we're content. The mileage is more but
> the traffic is almost non
> existant. Part of the reason we are out here and not north of SA is we
> did not want to deal
> with all the congestion. It's insane up there!

Yeah, traffic on the north side is ridiculous.

> Are you down at the infectious disease center?

Not TCID, but I work in public health.

June 19th 06, 11:38 PM
cjra wrote:
> wrote:
> > > I hate driving - I live downtown for a reason! My dream is to be able
> > > to walk everywhere. Unfortunately my office moved from downtown to SE
> > > Military so now I have to drive all of 15 mins, but I miss walking.
> > > Does beat the 1 hr commute I used to do though.
> >
> > Thankfully I like driving (the gas is killer though) Growing up on the
> > East Coast conditioned me for that.
> > Dh works on Soledad, it takes him about 35-40 minutes to get to work.
> > It was over an hour in CT, so we're content. The mileage is more but
> > the traffic is almost non
> > existant. Part of the reason we are out here and not north of SA is we
> > did not want to deal
> > with all the congestion. It's insane up there!
>
> Yeah, traffic on the north side is ridiculous.
>
> > Are you down at the infectious disease center?
>
> Not TCID, but I work in public health.

let me know if you need anything after bubs comes.
I know you are almost as new to SA as I am.
I'm a SAHM and like I said, I don't mind driving around.

My private email is:

k m o m t o 7 @ i s p. c o m (without the spaces)

carlye
June 20th 06, 03:16 PM
cjra wrote:
> So anyone get sinus issues at the end of pg or is this just
> run-of-the-mill allergy stuff?

Hopefully you won't have my experience, but I had a sinus infection for
five months this pregnancy. Lasted from close to the end of the first
trimester all the way into the third. It was absolutely miserable. On
the positive side, I was on 7 different courses of antibiotics, plus
various nasal sprays, and DS still turned out perfect!

I hope you get better soon.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04