PDA

View Full Version : becoming a mother for the first time

ruthie
June 21st 06, 10:05 AM
IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE OF FUTURE MUMS-TO-BE

Are you about to become a mum for the first time? If you want to share
your feelings about this unique experience, then the University of
Plymout, UK wants to hear from you.
Ruth Darvill, a student in the Faculty of Health and Social Work, is
doing a research study about women. She is looking into the way that
women think about themselves during the time that they are pregnant for
the first time, from the positive pregnancy test through to the first
few months of the baby's life.

The results will be used to try and make sure that the right kind of
support can be offered to women during this important period of their
lives. Ruth says her professional interest stems from personal
experience, "As a mum of four, I've always been fascinated by the
process that women go through when they become a mother for the first
time and from my experience, I feel not enough attention is paid to the
emotional aspects of childbearing. Because so little has been done, I
want to help create a clear understanding of the experience of first
time mothers and their needs.

If you are over the age of 16 and you are pregnant for the first time,
Ruth would love to hear from you. You will need to be fluent in
English to fill out the simple questionnaire during your pregnancy and
again, eight to twelve weeks after the birth. The questionnaire can be
filled in online at:

www.research.plymouth.ac.uk/healthpsych/childbearing

The study has full ethical approval from the local ethics committee.
This study may make a difference to mothers in the future.....all it
takes is twenty minutes of your time.
ENDS

Notes to Editors

Please direct all media enquiries to PR Officer, Karen Mason on 01752
233788

www.plymouth.ac.uk