PDA

View Full Version : need to vent- jerky people who ram shopping carts into very pregnant women

JJ
June 22nd 06, 02:24 AM
I'm not sure why I'm so upset about this- maybe just since I'm 37 weeks
and can hardly walk from sciatica/ back pain etc......but I've been
tearful and furious all evening. Earlier today I went out alone with
DD (almost 2) even though I've been having a hard time getting around.
I was leaving a store, and out of the corner of my eye saw some guy
coming up behind me with a TV loaded on a cart. I was carrying DD and
moving as quickly as I could through the parking lot, and tried to get
out of his way but didn't move fast enough and he rammed me in the
ankle (yes...the one that has been numb and tingling from sciatica) and
then just muttered 'sorry' and kept going. He really almost knocked
me down, and I was in too much pain and too shocked to say anything.
He turned out to be parked next to me, so when I caught up to him
apologized. I seriously wanted to go rip his head off, but didn't
want to make a scene or bad example in front of DD so I said nothing at
all and just left. What do you do when something like that happens in
front of your kids? I mean, I'm sure it was an accident, but I wanted
nothing more than to ram him and his stupid TV with my (much bigger)
car. (Is being 37 weeks in 100 degree heat a valid defense against
assault?) , or at the least tell him off. And now I'm sitting here
with a big bruise and scab, in pain, and PO'd.

JJ

xkatx
June 22nd 06, 02:48 AM
"JJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm not sure why I'm so upset about this- maybe just since I'm 37 weeks
> and can hardly walk from sciatica/ back pain etc......but I've been
> tearful and furious all evening. Earlier today I went out alone with
> DD (almost 2) even though I've been having a hard time getting around.
> I was leaving a store, and out of the corner of my eye saw some guy
> coming up behind me with a TV loaded on a cart. I was carrying DD and
> moving as quickly as I could through the parking lot, and tried to get
> out of his way but didn't move fast enough and he rammed me in the
> ankle (yes...the one that has been numb and tingling from sciatica) and
> then just muttered 'sorry' and kept going. He really almost knocked
> me down, and I was in too much pain and too shocked to say anything.
> He turned out to be parked next to me, so when I caught up to him
> apologized. I seriously wanted to go rip his head off, but didn't
> want to make a scene or bad example in front of DD so I said nothing at
> all and just left. What do you do when something like that happens in
> front of your kids? I mean, I'm sure it was an accident, but I wanted
> nothing more than to ram him and his stupid TV with my (much bigger)
> car. (Is being 37 weeks in 100 degree heat a valid defense against
> assault?) , or at the least tell him off. And now I'm sitting here
> with a big bruise and scab, in pain, and PO'd.
>
> JJ

Friendliness.

I actually was shopping with the kids earlier today. We had already all
piled back in the car to go home - looong and crappy day running from the
Walmart to the London Drugs all the way across the parking lot and street,
all because stupid Walmart said it was my USB device that was hooped, NOT
their photo machine. So, back and forth, back and forth, was a horrible,
long afternoon...
So, we're in the car, just turning out of the rows of parking stalls to get
on the road part in the parking lot to go home, and this stupid broad is
walking - far, far away from the marked crosswalk, with 2 kids - a boy and a
girl. She steps right off the curb as I'm turning left, and I know she did
it to be a bi*ch, so I step lightly on the brake (at this point, I'm going
slower than walking pace) and then she stops and the boy stops beside her.
I look at her, make eye contact and she stood there, gave me the impression
they were staying put and I could go, as I was in the middle of the lanes
and they were nowhere near the actual crosswalk. Then, the girl, she just
keeps walking, maybe 5 or so yards down from the broad and the boy (I
figured the boy was around 11 or 12ish) I again slowed down even more, as at
this point, I'm basically beside her as she just wanders as she pleases,
looking into space on the ground, and the woman shouts to her to stop (I'm
basically stopped now, as if I had kept on going the slower-than-walking
pace I was going, and she kept walking like a zombie, she probably would
have walked right into my door or something. Meanwhile, I'm still across
both lanes of traffic, luckily there wasn't much traffic at the moment, and
the girl stops. Again, eye contact with the girl, and she stays there a
moment, so I again proceeded to attempt to get out of the darn parking lot.
Then as I pass, the woman says, "That fu*king bi*ch wasn't even looking" so,
of course, since at this point no cars are behind me, and it was a
craptastic day, I slam on the brake, slam the car in reverse and peel
backwards to the row directly behind me where she's walking. I have windows
still down, and I say, "I'm the fu*king bi*ch not watching? Who was it
that's part of a herd of cattle? You and your kids? Who's staring off into
space while stepping out on the road in the middle of nowhere? Who was it
that was walking out into traffic like they were walking across the hall to
the washroom??" and then the woman starts flapping her lips, and she then
goes on to say that I had used my car as a weapon. I laughed right in her
face, and at this point, for some reason, she's looking scared and her voice
is very shaky, yet I had really not been all that rude with my tone or
words. She looked shaken, almost, and I know it wasn't because of anything
that happened the moment before.
I continued to laugh at her, and she then said that yes, indeed, I had used
my vehicle as a weapon to run her 13 year old daughter over. I told her,
very calmly and nicely, that if I wanted to run someone over, I had every
chance and opportunity, and I told her, "Quite frankly, if I was going to
use a weapon, it would not be my car and it would not be towards a little
girl" I then just said that it's a shame someone didn't care more and maybe
make a call about her not watching her children and putting them in danger
by encouraging them to herd across the road wherever they please without
caring to look where they were going, and then she asked me if I would like
her phone number to report her, and I said, "sure, I'll take your number"
and I grabbed the note pad from beside me and the pen on the seat and she
just kept asking me over and over if I wanted her number, and a couple times
I said, very nicely, why yes, I actually would like your number! Did she
live up to her promise? Of course not. She looked far too scared, shaken,
whatever to hear herself, let alone anyone else.
I then said that at 13, a child should have some basic common sense... I
said I had a 5 year old who knows better than to just meander off into
places cars are known to go and be, and I very nicely said that her 13 year
old daughter looked to be a very smart girl, she just needs to open her
eyes, and that she, or the boy, probably do not need to stand around and
listen to their mother swear just because she has a mouth of a sailor. It
was funny. She kept on swearing like it was the end of the world, and then
the girl and boy both piped up with something, although I didn't quite catch
it, but it was something similar to what the broad was saying. I then
simply laughed nicely and said it's a shame the apples couldn't have fallen
a bit further from the tree. I then told her that hopefully her children
can break her habit of bad parenting and irresponsibility. She stood there
saying something as I said, "Have a great and cautious day, lady" and drove
off.
It was kind of funny. My being polite and unusually friendly to her anger
made her even angrier. I drove home smiling almost all the way ;)
I probably would have stopped and punched her in the teeth or slapped that
dirty mouth of hers if I didn't have my kids in the car and there were no
other random kids around to see it. lol Just be real nice, if possible.
Sometimes it can come across as getting to the point when someone knows they
were being a jerk or stupid, sometimes they see that, sometimes they don't.
Either way, I sure felt good about it after lol

lucy-lu
June 22nd 06, 05:33 AM
JJ wrote:
> I'm not sure why I'm so upset about this- maybe just since I'm 37 weeks
> and can hardly walk from sciatica/ back pain etc......but I've been
> tearful and furious all evening. Earlier today I went out alone with
> DD (almost 2) even though I've been having a hard time getting around.
> I was leaving a store, and out of the corner of my eye saw some guy
> coming up behind me with a TV loaded on a cart. I was carrying DD and
> moving as quickly as I could through the parking lot, and tried to get
> out of his way but didn't move fast enough and he rammed me in the
> ankle (yes...the one that has been numb and tingling from sciatica) and
> then just muttered 'sorry' and kept going. He really almost knocked
> me down, and I was in too much pain and too shocked to say anything.
> He turned out to be parked next to me, so when I caught up to him
> apologized. I seriously wanted to go rip his head off, but didn't
> want to make a scene or bad example in front of DD so I said nothing at
> all and just left. What do you do when something like that happens in
> front of your kids? I mean, I'm sure it was an accident, but I wanted
> nothing more than to ram him and his stupid TV with my (much bigger)
> car. (Is being 37 weeks in 100 degree heat a valid defense against
> assault?) , or at the least tell him off. And now I'm sitting here
> with a big bruise and scab, in pain, and PO'd.
>
> JJ

Ugh, that sucks :/ I often get the urge to shout "Am I not BIG ENOUGH?!"
to people that walk into me when I am in town. I know I have lost body
weight, but I have what looks like an airship attatched to my front! I
tend to ignore it, but dh went nuts when someone let go of a door at the
bank, and it whacked onto my bump. People are just rude imho :(

(((JJ))) Hope your ankle feels a little better

Lucy

Jamie Clark
June 22nd 06, 06:49 AM
xkatx wrote:
> [...]
> laughed nicely and said it's a shame the apples couldn't have fallen
> a bit further from the tree. I then told her that hopefully her
> children can break her habit of bad parenting and irresponsibility. She
> stood there saying something as I said, "Have a great and
> cautious day, lady" and drove off. It was kind of funny. My being polite
> and unusually friendly to her
> anger made her even angrier. I drove home smiling almost all the way
> ;) I probably would have stopped and punched her in the teeth or slapped
> that dirty mouth of hers if I didn't have my kids in the car and
> there were no other random kids around to see it. lol Just be real
> nice, if possible. Sometimes it can come across as getting to the
> point when someone knows they were being a jerk or stupid, sometimes
> they see that, sometimes they don't. Either way, I sure felt good

Wow, so that's your definition of friendlyness? Yikes! : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

xkatx
June 22nd 06, 03:23 PM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> a bit further from the tree. I then told her that hopefully her
>> children can break her habit of bad parenting and irresponsibility. She
>> stood there saying something as I said, "Have a great and
>> cautious day, lady" and drove off. It was kind of funny. My being polite
>> and unusually friendly to her
>> anger made her even angrier. I drove home smiling almost all the way
>> ;) I probably would have stopped and punched her in the teeth or slapped
>> that dirty mouth of hers if I didn't have my kids in the car and
>> there were no other random kids around to see it. lol Just be real
>> nice, if possible. Sometimes it can come across as getting to the
>> point when someone knows they were being a jerk or stupid, sometimes
>> they see that, sometimes they don't. Either way, I sure felt good
>> about it after lol
>
> Wow, so that's your definition of friendlyness? Yikes! : )

Haha one of those, "Ya gotta be there!" situations... She's off swearing up
a storm, I never once swore, rose my voice or had any negative tone. I was
fighting back the urge, but I didn't raise my tone at all - I'm sure that's
the reason why she had her panties in knots ;)

Jamie Clark
June 22nd 06, 05:39 PM
xkatx wrote:
> [...]
>>> anger made her even angrier. I drove home smiling almost all the
>>> way ;) I probably would have stopped and punched her in the teeth
>>> or slapped that dirty mouth of hers if I didn't have my kids in the
>>> car and there were no other random kids around to see it. lol Just be
>>> real
>>> nice, if possible. Sometimes it can come across as getting to the
>>> point when someone knows they were being a jerk or stupid, sometimes
>>> they see that, sometimes they don't. Either way, I sure felt good
>>> about it after lol
>>
>> Wow, so that's your definition of friendlyness? Yikes! : )
>
> Haha one of those, "Ya gotta be there!" situations... She's off
> swearing up a storm, I never once swore, rose my voice or had any
> negative tone. I was fighting back the urge, but I didn't raise my
> tone at all - I'm sure that's the reason why she had her panties in

Did I misread? Did you repeat back to her what she had said?

> as I pass, the woman says, "That fu*king bi*ch wasn't even looking"
> so, of course, since at this point no cars are behind me, and it was
> a craptastic day, I slam on the brake, slam the car in reverse and
> peel backwards to the row directly behind me where she's walking. I
> have windows still down, and I say, "I'm the fu*king bi*ch not
> watching? Who was it that's part of a herd of cattle? You and your
> kids? Who's staring off into space while stepping out on the road
> in the middle of nowhere? Who was it that was walking out into
> traffic like they were walking across the hall to the washroom??"

It is hard to tell tone in writing, but the way the way I read it, you
sounded very aggressive and mad to me. Of course, I wasn't there.

Anyway, glad that she backed off. People are funny that way. They are
completely clueless and in the wrong, and then get mad at others who dare to
call them on it!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

cjra
June 22nd 06, 06:05 PM
JJ wrote:
> I'm not sure why I'm so upset about this- maybe just since I'm 37 weeks
> and can hardly walk from sciatica/ back pain etc......but I've been
> tearful and furious all evening. Earlier today I went out alone with
> DD (almost 2) even though I've been having a hard time getting around.
> I was leaving a store, and out of the corner of my eye saw some guy
> coming up behind me with a TV loaded on a cart. I was carrying DD and
> moving as quickly as I could through the parking lot, and tried to get
> out of his way but didn't move fast enough and he rammed me in the
> ankle (yes...the one that has been numb and tingling from sciatica) and
> then just muttered 'sorry' and kept going. He really almost knocked
> me down, and I was in too much pain and too shocked to say anything.
> He turned out to be parked next to me, so when I caught up to him
> apologized. I seriously wanted to go rip his head off, but didn't
> want to make a scene or bad example in front of DD so I said nothing at
> all and just left. What do you do when something like that happens in
> front of your kids? I mean, I'm sure it was an accident, but I wanted
> nothing more than to ram him and his stupid TV with my (much bigger)
> car. (Is being 37 weeks in 100 degree heat a valid defense against
> assault?) , or at the least tell him off. And now I'm sitting here
> with a big bruise and scab, in pain, and PO'd.

I think your lack of response was a wise move. I'm all about standing
up for yourself, but in this situation I think it just would have
escalated and made you even angrier, and set a bad example for your
kid. That his wife apologized and he ignored you indicates he wouldn't
have cared what you said - at best - and at worst gotten into a
screaming match, which unfortunately would not have done anyone any
good. I've found in such situations that if I *do* say what I really
want to say, I end up feeling worse afterwards because I get even
angrier. Whereas if I just leave it and maybe blow steam another way
(venting here for example!) it usually passes pretty quickly.

All that said, I don't normally think through such situations that
much, more likely I'm just shocked and flabbergasted and by the time
I've recovered from that it's too late to respond, which is just as
well ;-)

Hope you feel better today.

Kathryn
June 22nd 06, 08:10 PM
"Jamie Clark" > wrote in message
. ..
> xkatx wrote:

>>> Wow, so that's your definition of friendlyness? Yikes! : )
>>
>> Haha one of those, "Ya gotta be there!" situations... She's off
>> swearing up a storm, I never once swore, rose my voice or had any
>> negative tone. I was fighting back the urge, but I didn't raise my
>> tone at all - I'm sure that's the reason why she had her panties in
>> knots ;)
>
> Did I misread? Did you repeat back to her what she had said?

I repeated back what she said, using her words, but using them as "f*cking
b*tch" as blanking out the word. Hard to say typing out, as it's very rare
I'll swear around kids (I learned the hard way when DS was about a year and
a half old and went on repeating my inappropriate words, which my mom had
warned me about and I laughed off) I have sworn, obviously, and yes, infront
of my kids, but it's never been used in a normal conversation. It's more
like, "Oh! S*it!" when something happens, and quite often when I think I'm
alone and turn around to find that as I was steaming my eyes out of my head
with a pot of boiling water putting spaghetti in or something, there was
someone behind me, and after they over react to it, "OOOH!!!!!!!! YOU SAID
THAT BAD WORD!!!" I realize I've been caught. I don't really care much for
certain words - swearing, inappropriate slangs, whatever - and I've called
friends or family on it, and of course they realize it after. Normally, I'm
not at all offended by 'bad' language, but when kids are around, there's
better words to use... I've caught myself in the middle of saying, "Oh f*ck"
but it turns out to be something more like, "Oh fark" or something like that

>> as I pass, the woman says, "That fu*king bi*ch wasn't even looking"
>> so, of course, since at this point no cars are behind me, and it was
>> a craptastic day, I slam on the brake, slam the car in reverse and
>> peel backwards to the row directly behind me where she's walking. I
>> have windows still down, and I say, "I'm the fu*king bi*ch not
>> watching? Who was it that's part of a herd of cattle? You and your
>> kids? Who's staring off into space while stepping out on the road
>> in the middle of nowhere? Who was it that was walking out into
>> traffic like they were walking across the hall to the washroom??"
>
> It is hard to tell tone in writing, but the way the way I read it, you
> sounded very aggressive and mad to me. Of course, I wasn't there.

Nah, I laughed more than I actually got upset. I was actually more PO with
the Walmart issues and their machines not working - and being told their
machine was just fine, it was my device that was hooped. I'm one to often
enough stop when someone's being a dink. I went around the block once when
there was 2 small children playing chicken with the traffic not too far from
my parents' place. Went around the block, told the kids (about 6ish years
old?) to get off the road, and of course they ran, and I saw the apartment
they went into and I knocked on the apartment door and told the lady, who
turned out to be the boy's mom and the aunt of the girl, what these kids
were doing and she nearly had to pick her jaw up off the floor. The mother
of the girl, however, got downright angry. Again, maybe it's been training
for handling difficult people, but for things like this, I don't get angry.
I don't get angry when someone calls me on an act of stupidity OR points out
I'm being a total knob (my mom is of course excluded from that statement of
getting angry lol) and I've also found someone who gets angry and flies off
the handle tends to go home and shortly after, they realize how stupid they
acted and reacted.

> Anyway, glad that she backed off. People are funny that way. They are
> completely clueless and in the wrong, and then get mad at others who dare
> to call them on it!

It wasn't necessarily what she originally did that was just stupid.
EVERYONE cattles across the roads in parking lots - I've noticed ESPECIALLY
at Walmart and similar, bigger department stores. It's basically expected
that there's going to be some goofball dork that isn't paying attention -
and this goes for drivers AND pedestrians. A lot of the time, no one pays
attention. Foot traffic is more concerned about getting their new
microwaves and bag of groceries to their car and getting home, the vehicle
traffic is just past that point and at the point of get me outta here before
I go nuts!
It was how this stupid lady acted after the fact and her choice of words.
In the end, it doesn't matter to me. Everyone tends to be stupid in their
own way, which is why we all do stupid things every now and then. One day,
I know, she'll mouth off someone who's an even bigger jerk than she is. I
recall a story a couple years back here where this kid in a car flipped the
bird at some guy in a truck who cut him off, or something like that, and the
guy in the truck *chased* this kid's car for something like 10 minutes
through the streets, and when the car ended up in a dead end, the guy in the
truck got out and took a crowbar to this kid's car. Most people would
probably just have ignored the kid's finger or maybe even gave him the one
fingered salute right back at him, but you get the ass who just doesn't
handle things very well lol
I was paying attention, the girl was not (mainly because she was zoned out
at the pavement in her own world, didn't even hear the mom calling her,
didn't stop when I had stopped) and I saw her. It's just a shame that
obviously these kids of hers already have an idea of how to handle
situations - just like the mom.

JJ
June 22nd 06, 09:32 PM
cjra wrote:

> I think your lack of response was a wise move. I'm all about standing
> up for yourself, but in this situation I think it just would have
> escalated and made you even angrier, and set a bad example for your
> kid. That his wife apologized and he ignored you indicates he wouldn't
> have cared what you said - at best - and at worst gotten into a
> screaming match, which unfortunately would not have done anyone any
> good. I've found in such situations that if I *do* say what I really
> want to say, I end up feeling worse afterwards because I get even
> angrier. Whereas if I just leave it and maybe blow steam another way
> (venting here for example!) it usually passes pretty quickly.
>
> All that said, I don't normally think through such situations that
> much, more likely I'm just shocked and flabbergasted and by the time
> I've recovered from that it's too late to respond, which is just as
> well ;-)
>
> Hope you feel better today.

thanks. the bruising isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and
I do feel better about it. You're right- there really isn't much I
could have done. One friend suggested I'd asked for his contact info-
to make him worry I'd sue or something.

JJ

Thanks in part to an entire bag of Pixy stix I indulged in. :)

JJ

JJ
June 22nd 06, 09:33 PM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Ugh, that sucks :/ I often get the urge to shout "Am I not BIG ENOUGH?!"
> to people that walk into me when I am in town. I know I have lost body
> weight, but I have what looks like an airship attatched to my front! I
> tend to ignore it, but dh went nuts when someone let go of a door at the
> bank, and it whacked onto my bump. People are just rude imho :(
>
> (((JJ))) Hope your ankle feels a little better
>
> Lucy

That's terrible! I hope they apologized!

JJ

Anne Rogers
June 22nd 06, 09:56 PM
some people are just like that, since my last pregnancy I'm fairly disabled,
at times when I didn't use an aid to walk, I craved one as a warning sign to
people, then I started using crutches anyway and people still don't take
notice (in fact the other day I just decided to walk straight into someone
rather then stepping off the pavement to avoid him). A few times I use a
scooter, lots of people just seem to ignore it, what they don't seem to get
is that if I didn't apply the breaks hard and hit them, they would actually
be quite hurt and for me all that applying the breaks hard gets me all on
edge and tires me out.

Anne

Anne Rogers
June 22nd 06, 10:00 PM
bother, you are still here, sending you contraction wishes!

Anne

LaTreen Washington
June 23rd 06, 10:37 PM
Good for you. Screw the Entitle-moo mentality.

"xkatx" > wrote in message

> [...]
> can break her habit of bad parenting and irresponsibility. She stood
there
> saying something as I said, "Have a great and cautious day, lady" and
drove
> off.
> It was kind of funny. My being polite and unusually friendly to her anger
> made her even angrier. I drove home smiling almost all the way ;)
> I probably would have stopped and punched her in the teeth or slapped that
> dirty mouth of hers if I didn't have my kids in the car and there were no
> other random kids around to see it. lol Just be real nice, if possible.
> Sometimes it can come across as getting to the point when someone knows
they
> were being a jerk or stupid, sometimes they see that, sometimes they
don't.
> Either way, I sure felt good about it after lol

June 23rd 06, 10:43 PM
Hold your own door. You're not a cripple you lazy cow.

"JJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> lucy-lu wrote:
> > Ugh, that sucks :/ I often get the urge to shout "Am I not BIG ENOUGH?!"
> > to people that walk into me when I am in town. I know I have lost body
> > weight, but I have what looks like an airship attatched to my front! I
> > tend to ignore it, but dh went nuts when someone let go of a door at the
> > bank, and it whacked onto my bump. People are just rude imho :(
> >
> > (((JJ))) Hope your ankle feels a little better
> >
> > Lucy
>
> That's terrible! I hope they apologized!
>
> JJ

LaTreen Washington
June 23rd 06, 10:43 PM
Your crotch nugget is destined to be a diabetic.

ups.com...