PDA

View Full Version : "Maybe MOM" dead after 4 days

TxMouse
June 22nd 06, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post on this topic. I'll be turning 40 this fall, and
am trying to get pregnant for the first time, and need all the help we
can get. A friend told us about an ovulation microscope. You put some
of your saliva on a small lense, let it dry, then look at the
crystallization pattern. The type of pattern indicates whether you are
fertile. It sounded cool, especially since it can be used over and
over.

I bought the "Maybe MOM" brand on Monday. The price is little steep
($39), but seemed worth it if it can be used more than once. I tried it
when I got home to see how it worked, and used it the next 2 days as
explained in the paperwork. This morning (Thursday) the light wouldn't
come on. I'm guessing the batteries are dead. I've left a voicemail and
set an email, but according to the web site my options are to (1)
replace the batteries which I have to buy (2) send it back to the
company for replacement (including a $6.95 "handling" fee) or (3)
return it to the store (an 80 mile round trip for me since I live in
the country).
Does it seem right that I should have to spend more money on something
that doesn't work after just 4 days?
I'm hoping they give me a better option, but be warned you may end up
paying more than $39 for this brand to work. Maybe try another one...

Juliette in Texas

Anne Rogers
June 22nd 06, 05:36 PM
> Does it seem right that I should have to spend more money on something
> that doesn't work after just 4 days?

it doesn't seem right, but unfortunately that's life, if something goes
wrong, you always have to take it back or return it by mail, which costs.
It's unfortunate that you live in the country, for myself I try and by
electical items at shops that are easily accessible, but it can still be a
huge effort, thankfully only a small proportion of things go wrong.

Anne

Jamie Clark
June 22nd 06, 05:43 PM
TxMouse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post on this topic. I'll be turning 40 this fall, and
> am trying to get pregnant for the first time, and need all the help we
> can get. A friend told us about an ovulation microscope. You put some
> of your saliva on a small lense, let it dry, then look at the
> crystallization pattern. The type of pattern indicates whether you are
> fertile. It sounded cool, especially since it can be used over and
> over.
>
> I bought the "Maybe MOM" brand on Monday. The price is little steep
> ($39), but seemed worth it if it can be used more than once. I tried
> it when I got home to see how it worked, and used it the next 2 days
> as explained in the paperwork. This morning (Thursday) the light
> wouldn't come on. I'm guessing the batteries are dead. I've left a
> voicemail and set an email, but according to the web site my options
> are to (1) replace the batteries which I have to buy (2) send it back
> to the company for replacement (including a $6.95 "handling" fee) or
> (3) return it to the store (an 80 mile round trip for me since I live
> in the country).
> Does it seem right that I should have to spend more money on something
> that doesn't work after just 4 days?
> I'm hoping they give me a better option, but be warned you may end up
> paying more than $39 for this brand to work. Maybe try another one...
>
> Juliette in Texas

For what it's worth, $39 isn't much for an ovulation predictor. I don't put
much faith in those "ferning" ones though. I've known women with various
ovulation disorders who fern all cycle long, and I've heard that some men's
urine can show ferning, so clearly it isn't always acurite. There is a
monitor that works really well, but it's closer to $150-200.

As for this one, I'd call the company back and pitch more of a fit. Ask to
speak to the manager or supervisor. Demand (in the nices way possible) that
they send you a new battery, free of charge, right away. The battery in
this one should have lasted more than 4 days, but maybe the it sat in the
store for a year or more. But it seems to me that the company should
replace the battery for you, this first time at least, since it should work
for more than 4 days when first purchased.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Denise~*
June 22nd 06, 08:50 PM
TxMouse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post on this topic. I'll be turning 40 this fall, and
> am trying to get pregnant for the first time, and need all the help we
> can get. A friend told us about an ovulation microscope. You put some
> of your saliva on a small lense, let it dry, then look at the
> crystallization pattern. The type of pattern indicates whether you are
> fertile. It sounded cool, especially since it can be used over and
> over.

Personally, I never bothered with OP's. I really like the book "Taking
charge of your Fertility" Not only will you figure out when you
ovulate, and be able to predict it ahead of time, but you will know what
your body is doing every single day.

Anne Rogers
June 22nd 06, 09:51 PM
> For what it's worth, $39 isn't much for an ovulation predictor. I don't
> put much faith in those "ferning" ones though. I've known women with
> various ovulation disorders who fern all cycle long, and I've heard that
> some men's urine can show ferning, so clearly it isn't always acurite.
> There is a monitor that works really well, but it's closer to $150-200.

this is true, I have one, though it was for use as contraception, but that
includes it telling you when you ovulate, it was around $130, but the sticks
each month were $15, we ended up deciding we wanted a baby and it worked for
that purpose, he's 3 now!

Anne