PDA

View Full Version : So much for our surprise, I think my midwife gave it away yesterday and we're having a

cjra
June 22nd 06, 06:11 PM
boy.

Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the location
of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped, caught
herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?" I said no.

She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she noticed.

So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a little
disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he *really*
wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course, but the
reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring him down a
bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a boy - the idea of

raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's preference

and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH as
the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him nervous!

Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside there
:)

Jamie Clark
June 22nd 06, 06:41 PM
cjra wrote:
> boy.
>
> Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the location
> of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped, caught
> herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?" I said
> no.
>
> She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
> girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she noticed.
>

> So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a little
> disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he *really*
> wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course, but the
> reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring him down a
> bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a boy - the idea
> of
>
> raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's
> preference
>
> and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
> concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH as
> the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him nervous!
>

> Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside there
> :)

I've never heard that a midwife could feel the gender at all. Interesting.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

cjra
June 22nd 06, 06:43 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:
> cjra wrote:
> > boy.
> >
> > Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the location
> > of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped, caught
> > herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?" I said
> > no.
> >
> > She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
> > girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she noticed.
> >

> > So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a little
> > disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he *really*
> > wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course, but the
> > reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring him down a
> > bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a boy - the idea
> > of
> >
> > raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's
> > preference
> >
> > and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
> > concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH as
> > the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him nervous!
> >

> > Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside there
> > :)
>
> I've never heard that a midwife could feel the gender at all. Interesting.

Well, she's been able to a few times. She said not always, kind of
depends on fluid, how the baby is moving around, etc.

Jamie Clark
June 22nd 06, 06:56 PM
cjra wrote:
> Jamie Clark wrote:
>> cjra wrote:
>>> boy.
>>>
>>> Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the
>>> location of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped,
>>> caught herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?"
>>> I said no.
>>>
>>> She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
>>> girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she
>>> noticed.
>>>

>>> So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a
>>> little disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he
>>> *really* wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course,
>>> but the reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring
>>> him down a bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a
>>> boy - the idea of
>>>
>>> raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's
>>> preference
>>>
>>> and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
>>> concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH
>>> as the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him
>>> nervous!
>>>

>>> Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside
>>> there :)
>>
>> I've never heard that a midwife could feel the gender at all.
>> Interesting.
>

> Well, she's been able to a few times. She said not always, kind of
> depends on fluid, how the baby is moving around, etc.

How far along are you again?
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Kathryn
June 22nd 06, 08:15 PM
"cjra" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> boy.
>
> Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the location
> of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped, caught
> herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?" I said no.
>
> She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
> girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she noticed.
>

> So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a little
> disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he *really*
> wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course, but the
> reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring him down a
> bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a boy - the idea of
>
> raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's preference
>
> and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
> concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH as
> the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him nervous!
>

> Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside there
> :)

Oh! Boys are nice ;) So are girls. lol
I also wasn't aware that gender could be 'felt' but then again, gender has
always been shown to me via u/s.

Sue
June 22nd 06, 08:45 PM
Personally, I have never heard of anyone being able to tell the gender by
palpation.
I wouldn't necessairly believe it at all.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"cjra" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> boy.
>
> Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the location
> of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped, caught
> herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?" I said no.
>
> She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
> girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she noticed.
>

> So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a little
> disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he *really*
> wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course, but the
> reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring him down a
> bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a boy - the idea of
>
> raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's preference
>
> and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
> concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH as
> the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him nervous!
>

> Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside there
> :)

cjra
June 22nd 06, 09:00 PM
Jamie Clark wrote:
> cjra wrote:
> > Jamie Clark wrote:

> >> I've never heard that a midwife could feel the gender at all.
> >> Interesting.
> >

> > Well, she's been able to a few times. She said not always, kind of
> > depends on fluid, how the baby is moving around, etc.
>

> How far along are you again?
> --

38 weeks. Due July 4.

Like I said, she didn't *say* anything, but it was clear she thought
she detected something interesting. Yes, she could be wrong. Even if
I'd asked she would not have confirmed the sex either way, but she told
me before that in the past, she has been able to detect the testicles
(which are apparently somewhat swollen) on some babies. Not all, but a
few.

Anne Rogers
June 22nd 06, 09:48 PM
so she was feeling around from the outside right? I very much doubt she
could feel what sex a baby was, even if you though you felt a penis it's
much more likely to be the umbilical cord. Anyway, you know what the foetal
position is? all curled up, even in abnormal positions like transverse or
breech they are still usually all tucked up, you shouldn't even be able to
feel that area. So in my opinion I think the sex is still unknown, which
means it's still 50/50

Anne

sharalyns
June 22nd 06, 10:52 PM
Interesting. I've never heard of that before.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

June 22nd 06, 11:35 PM
cjra wrote:

> Like I said, she didn't *say* anything, but it was clear she thought
> she detected something interesting. Yes, she could be wrong. Even if
> I'd asked she would not have confirmed the sex either way, but she told
> me before that in the past, she has been able to detect the testicles
> (which are apparently somewhat swollen) on some babies. Not all, but a
> few.

Personally, I'd be pretty dubious. Even if she thinks she can do this,
presumably she'd be correct half the time even if it was completely
bogus, right?

Beth

Jamie Clark
June 23rd 06, 12:08 AM
wrote:
> cjra wrote:
>
>> Like I said, she didn't *say* anything, but it was clear she thought
>> she detected something interesting. Yes, she could be wrong. Even if
>> I'd asked she would not have confirmed the sex either way, but she
>> told me before that in the past, she has been able to detect the
>> testicles (which are apparently somewhat swollen) on some babies.
>> Not all, but a few.
>
> Personally, I'd be pretty dubious. Even if she thinks she can do
> this, presumably she'd be correct half the time even if it was
> completely bogus, right?
>
> Beth

Plus, some baby girls labias can be very swollen as well. I know that for
at least a few weeks, if not a few months, Addie had what we lovingly
referred to as "SuperGiney" Her labia and pubic mons was huge, and way out
of proportion to the rest of her body. Thankfully, it's all normal looking
now!

So, I wouldn't put much or any faith in a midwife feeling around on the
outside of a belly as a prediction of the gender. I just wouldn't. U/s, I
can believe in and count on, even as often as they make mistakes, but trying
to feel testicles through layers of skin, fat, muscle and liquid seems
pretty difficult to me!

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Anne Rogers
June 23rd 06, 12:20 PM

> Plus, some baby girls labias can be very swollen as well. I know that for
> at least a few weeks, if not a few months, Addie had what we lovingly
> referred to as "SuperGiney" Her labia and pubic mons was huge, and way
> out of proportion to the rest of her body. Thankfully, it's all normal
> looking now!

so was Ada's, she also had a mini period when she was 2 days old, the
newborn swollen breasts lasted for at least 2 months

> So, I wouldn't put much or any faith in a midwife feeling around on the
> outside of a belly as a prediction of the gender. I just wouldn't. U/s,
> I can believe in and count on, even as often as they make mistakes, but
> trying to feel testicles through layers of skin, fat, muscle and liquid
> seems pretty difficult to me!

absolutely! problem is, that she's going to get it right 50% of the time and
if you only have a small number then that can easily get skewed and for her
it may be that she has been right 70% of the time or something, but it means
nothing!

Anne

Zaz
June 24th 06, 05:17 PM
IMHO, and that of my own midwife, this is crap.

My midwife says it's impossible to tell by palpation, and the odds, as
someone else said, would be in her favour anytime she makes a guess. But it
would just be a guess.

I think you can still count on a surprise. But again, I may be wrong. After
all, I've got a 50% chance of being right... right?

-------oh, and a boy is not so bad!
--
Isabelle
Mlle C 2004-11-27

"cjra" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> boy.
>
> Not entirely sure, but as she was feeling around for all the location
> of the body parts, she had a startled "oh!" Then stopped, caught
> herself and said "you don't know what you're having, right?" I said no.
>
> She said ok, and kept on feeling around. Since you can't really feel
> girl parts but boy parts are obvious, I think that's what she noticed.
>

> So now I have to get it into my head this may be a boy. DH is a little
> disappointed, both that we might already know, and that he *really*
> wanted a girl. He will be thrilled either way of course, but the
> reality that it's most likely not a girl seemed to bring him down a
> bit. Funny for me because initially I really wanted a boy - the idea of
>
> raising girls scares me, boys I can handle. But knowing DH's preference
>
> and all the ILs are dying for a girl, I wrapped my head around that
> concept and finally got used to it. Especially as I can sooo see DH as
> the doting dad of daughters. I think raising sons makes him nervous!
>

> Oh well, it's healthy and kicking around, whatever it is inside there
> :)

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 08:27 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:

> so she was feeling around from the outside right? I very much doubt she
> could feel what sex a baby was, even if you though you felt a penis it's
> much more likely to be the umbilical cord. Anyway, you know what the foetal
> position is? all curled up, even in abnormal positions like transverse or
> breech they are still usually all tucked up, you shouldn't even be able to
> feel that area. So in my opinion I think the sex is still unknown, which
> means it's still 50/50
>
> Anne

Personally I would think it hard to feel a penis, because of the baby
being all cramped up in a ball, but my Dr. can feel position because of
the difference in how the head, butt & back feels. She can usually tell
me, "his head is down here & his butt is here, and along here is his
back. The last few times I went my future DS was head down & the last
time she mentioned he was also facing to my left.