PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Kate is here!

lucy-lu
June 25th 06, 11:58 AM
Hi all!

Here are the vital stats :)

Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
8lbs 9oz
21 inches
green eyes, brown hair
Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air

I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour
was fantastic and everything's great.

Lucy x

Engram
June 25th 06, 12:03 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour was
> fantastic and everything's great.

Congratulations! Glad to hear it all went great :)

June 25th 06, 01:30 PM
Congratulations and well done! Looking forward to reading more.

Jeni

Anne Rogers
June 25th 06, 01:40 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour was
> fantastic and everything's great.

congratulations Lucy, that was really speedy from when you went in to the
hospital, it may have been that you would have had a naturally occuring
labour at just about that time anyway. It's not that often that someone
posts labour was fantastic! Congratulations again!

Anne

Anne Rogers
June 25th 06, 01:41 PM
I just wanted to add, I'm so pleased you were able to come home soon after,
I've done staying in hospital and I've done coming straight home and I
vastly preferred the 2nd although physically I was in a worse state, but
unless I actually need medical care I'd rather be in a worse state in the
comfort of my own home!

Anne

Rebecca Jo
June 25th 06, 03:02 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour was
> fantastic and everything's great.
>
> Lucy x

:) Congratulations! :)

rj

Welches
June 25th 06, 07:58 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour was
> fantastic and everything's great.
>
> Lucy x
Congratulations!
Debbie

rangitotogirl
June 25th 06, 10:49 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour was
> fantastic and everything's great.

Congratulations, that was fast! Pretty name too.

Mum of Two
June 25th 06, 11:04 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour was
> fantastic and everything's great.

Congratulations, what wonderful news! :-) I'm partial to the name Jessica,
it's Ana's middle name.
I look forward to reading the birth story.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

June 25th 06, 11:44 PM
as fantastic and everything's great.

> Lucy x

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Looking forward to story and photos!

Enjoy your little girl!

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 12:18 AM
lucy-lu wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour
> was fantastic and everything's great.
>
> Lucy x

Wow, totally missed your update on the 20th. What a nice fast labor
too. Congrats!

P.S. Gas?

Anne Rogers
June 26th 06, 12:54 PM
> P.S. Gas?

I'm expecting that Lucy may well be too busy to answer this, it comes up
with moderate frequency, so it's probably my turn to explain!

Gas and Air is the laymans term for Entonox, which is nitrous oxide and
oxygen, also known as laughing gas. It's a very good short term pain
reliever that suits some people and not others. If you use it skillfully in
labour it really can be the difference between going unmedicated and not.
You need to anticipate the contraction and then take deep breaths of it and
don't stop as each breath will take away even more pain.

It probably works best for someone where labour starts relatively slowly so
you can learn how to use it so that when you hit transition you can still
use it, because it does make you a bit out of it so other techniques are
difficult to use, but the good thing is that it wears off very fast, so if
you have gaps between contractions you could get 5 mins of being lucid and
mobile, unlike opiates, or an epidural.

It used to be available in the USA, but was taken away due to the
possibility of abuse, it is widly used in the UK for labour, even being
taken to home deliveries. It is also used for all sorts of procedures where
there will be short term pain and the patient needs to relax. Ambulances
carry it and if they have to move a casualty they will let them use gas and
air to get through that.

My own experience with it was that it is excellent for VEs, prostin pains,
between contractions when you have a hellish malpositioned baby like mine
was! I also had it in A&E when I dislocated my hip, magic!

Anne

Nikki
June 26th 06, 01:08 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air

Fabulous! And green eyes - how beautiful!!

Congratulations and welcome to baby Jessica Kate :-D

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

carlye
June 26th 06, 04:30 PM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour
> was fantastic and everything's great.

Congratulations, Lucy!! I am so glad to know the induction and labor
went well. I thought of you repeatedly on Friday -- It's wonderful it
went well, is over, and you now have a perfect little girl. Congrats!!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Joybelle
June 26th 06, 07:33 PM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!

> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour
> was fantastic and everything's great.

Congratulations on the birth of Jessica!!! I'm so glad to hear all went
well, and she's here now. :)

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
Grant 9-05 www.caringbridge.org/visit/grantphilip

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 08:03 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:

>>P.S. Gas?

> Gas and Air is the laymans term for Entonox, which is nitrous oxide and
> oxygen, also known as laughing gas. It's a very good short term pain
> reliever that suits some people and not others. If you use it skillfully in
> labour it really can be the difference between going unmedicated and not.
> You need to anticipate the contraction and then take deep breaths of it and
> don't stop as each breath will take away even more pain.

snip

Wow, well I insist on it when I have dental work done & some dentists
don't use it, so I had to seek out a dentist that does, but I never
heard of it being used during labor. Very interesting.

sharalyns
June 26th 06, 08:50 PM
Congratulations and welcome to Baby Jessica!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

lucy-lu wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour
> was fantastic and everything's great.
>
> Lucy x

Anne Rogers
June 26th 06, 09:32 PM
> Wow, well I insist on it when I have dental work done & some dentists
> don't use it, so I had to seek out a dentist that does, but I never heard
> of it being used during labor. Very interesting.

so how do you use it in dental work, if you have to put a mouth piece in
your mouth, how does the dentist get it?

I think it was Ericka who explained it a while back, but it seemed to be
entirely an abuse issue, not that there was any concern about it's safety.
It's 50% oxygen after all, so it ensures that you get enough, which some of
the altered breathing patterns that used to be in fashion don't.

I can't imagine using it at the dentist, but then I've not had dental work
done really, just check ups. I'm having a procedure under local anaesthetic
in July, I hope they give me something like that, because otherwise it's
going to be hell, I'd rather have gas and air than vallium I think.

Anne

Ericka Kammerer
June 26th 06, 10:27 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:
>> Wow, well I insist on it when I have dental work done & some dentists
>> don't use it, so I had to seek out a dentist that does, but I never heard
>> of it being used during labor. Very interesting.
>
> so how do you use it in dental work, if you have to put a mouth piece in
> your mouth, how does the dentist get it?

They give it before the dental procedure.

> I think it was Ericka who explained it a while back, but it seemed to be
> entirely an abuse issue, not that there was any concern about it's safety.
> It's 50% oxygen after all, so it ensures that you get enough, which some of
> the altered breathing patterns that used to be in fashion don't.

IIRC, there were some safety concerns raised, but
they seemed a little thin.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 10:54 PM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> Anne Rogers wrote:
>
>>> Wow, well I insist on it when I have dental work done & some dentists
>>> don't use it, so I had to seek out a dentist that does, but I never
>>> heard of it being used during labor. Very interesting.
>>

>> so how do you use it in dental work, if you have to put a mouth piece
>> in your mouth, how does the dentist get it?
>

> They give it before the dental procedure.

I think you are thinking of something else, N2O wears off once you start
breathing normal air

>> I think it was Ericka who explained it a while back, but it seemed to
>> be entirely an abuse issue, not that there was any concern about it's
>> safety. It's 50% oxygen after all, so it ensures that you get enough,
>> which some of the altered breathing patterns that used to be in
>> fashion don't
>
> IIRC, there were some safety concerns raised, but
> they seemed a little thin.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 10:56 PM
Joybelle wrote:

>>so how do you use it in dental work, if you have to put a mouth piece in
>>your mouth, how does the dentist get it?
>
> How they do it at my dentist is they put a small mask type thing over my
> nose with a tube running from each side of the mask.

Yup. Exactly

> I've done many a cavity without novacaine (local anesthetic here) and with
> gas/air. It's much more pleasant, imo.

I can't do dental work without it. I have a Stress/Anxiety issue, and I
get WAY to tense at the dentist, so it's really important I stay relaxed.

Joybelle
June 26th 06, 11:55 PM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message

> so how do you use it in dental work, if you have to put a mouth piece in
> your mouth, how does the dentist get it?

How they do it at my dentist is they put a small mask type thing over my
nose with a tube running from each side of the mask.

> I think it was Ericka who explained it a while back, but it seemed to be
> entirely an abuse issue, not that there was any concern about it's safety.
> It's 50% oxygen after all, so it ensures that you get enough, which some
of
> the altered breathing patterns that used to be in fashion don't.

That's what I understand from previous discussions on here, too, that abuse
was a problem in hospitals.

> I can't imagine using it at the dentist, but then I've not had dental work
> done really, just check ups. I'm having a procedure under local
anaesthetic
> in July, I hope they give me something like that, because otherwise it's
> going to be hell, I'd rather have gas and air than vallium I think.

I've done many a cavity without novacaine (local anesthetic here) and with
gas/air. It's much more pleasant, imo.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
Grant 9-05 www.caringbridge.org/visit/grantphilip

Denise~*
June 27th 06, 01:46 AM
Joybelle wrote:
> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
> m...
>

>>I can't do dental work without it. I have a Stress/Anxiety issue, and I
>>get WAY to tense at the dentist, so it's really important I stay relaxed.
>

> Considering the sedation dentistries I see popping up around here, I don't
> think you're alone! I really like the gas, too. It is quite relaxing and
> doesn't take long to wear off as opposed to that damn novacaine that takes
> HOURS to wear off and affects my eyes.

Ohh, I still do Novocaine if it's a big one, unfortunately. I can't
STAND pain & then only turn on enough N2O to make you relaxed.

Joybelle
June 27th 06, 02:21 AM
"Denise~*" > wrote in message
m...

> I can't do dental work without it. I have a Stress/Anxiety issue, and I
> get WAY to tense at the dentist, so it's really important I stay relaxed.

Considering the sedation dentistries I see popping up around here, I don't
think you're alone! I really like the gas, too. It is quite relaxing and
doesn't take long to wear off as opposed to that damn novacaine that takes
HOURS to wear off and affects my eyes.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
Grant 9-05 www.caringbridge.org/visit/grantphilip

Tori M
June 27th 06, 03:47 AM
"Denise~*" > wrote in message
m...
> Ericka Kammerer wrote:

>>> so how do you use it in dental work, if you have to put a mouth piece in
>>> your mouth, how does the dentist get it?
>>

>> They give it before the dental procedure.
>
> I think you are thinking of something else, N2O wears off once you start
> breathing normal air
When I have had it as a child it was just used long enough for them to give
me a shot of novacain.. I was afraid of the needles.. anyway it was
delivered through a nose mask type deal.

Tori

Anne Rogers
June 27th 06, 02:51 PM
> How they do it at my dentist is they put a small mask type thing over my
> nose with a tube running from each side of the mask.

how do you control the dose then, what I understood by the way you use it in
labour is that because you are holding it with your hand that if you are on
the verge of being knocked out that your hand drops it before you do
actually get knocked out, whereas if it is a tube to your nose, how can you
control it if you want to stop using it?

it sounds rather good for a dental procedure actually, I've never had a
filling, but I've disliked local anaethestics for extractions, though they
are probably necessary, but I can see how you could do a filling without the
local if you had the gas.

Anne

Denise~*
June 27th 06, 07:19 PM
Anne Rogers wrote:
>>How they do it at my dentist is they put a small mask type thing over my
>>nose with a tube running from each side of the mask.
>

> how do you control the dose then, what I understood by the way you use it in
> labour is that because you are holding it with your hand that if you are on
> the verge of being knocked out that your hand drops it before you do
> actually get knocked out, whereas if it is a tube to your nose, how can you
> control it if you want to stop using it?
>
> it sounds rather good for a dental procedure actually, I've never had a
> filling, but I've disliked local anaethestics for extractions, though they
> are probably necessary, but I can see how you could do a filling without the
> local if you had the gas.
>
> Anne

The dentist controls it and there is a valve with gauges that lets just
the right amount go through, along with oxygen. I know from experience
that sometimes my dentist would have to adjust it higher or lower
depending on how much or little it was working.

When you use it at the dentist, you are not really supposed to be
'knocked out', just feeling relaxed & calm. You have no cares in the
world & floating on a cloud. you hear the people around you talking,
but it's muffled & echo's like they are talking down a tunnel to you.
If you saw the sequence on Madagascar where I believe it was Alex gets
shot by a tranq gun & he goes into this trippy sequence with the "Candy
Man" song playing. Thats just about close. ;-)

Mum of Two
June 28th 06, 09:21 AM
"Anne Rogers" > wrote in message
>> How they do it at my dentist is they put a small mask type thing over my
>> nose with a tube running from each side of the mask.
>
> how do you control the dose then, what I understood by the way you use it
> in labour is that because you are holding it with your hand that if you
> are on the verge of being knocked out that your hand drops it before you
> do actually get knocked out

You can get around that problem by putting it further in your mouth and
clenching down on it with your teeth ;-) Bliss!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Anne Rogers
June 28th 06, 02:45 PM
>> how do you control the dose then, what I understood by the way you use it
>> in labour is that because you are holding it with your hand that if you
>> are on the verge of being knocked out that your hand drops it before you
>> do actually get knocked out
>
> You can get around that problem by putting it further in your mouth and
> clenching down on it with your teeth ;-) Bliss!

though I suppose eventually even your jaw would relax before you went
totally out, but maybe you can go further out than otherwise, I myself don't
want to get that far out which is why I was concerned with controlling the
dose if you were at a dentist. I've used it in A&E when I had a bad injury,
I breathed it until the pain went, then a few more puffs and took it away
until the pain started to creep back, though it was never long enough
between times for me to become totally lucid which made it interesting when
the doctor came to talk to me as I had to take it away to talk, was not
necessarily saying the right things then taking a few puffs!

Anne

carl jones
June 29th 06, 04:11 AM
"lucy-lu" > wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air

Congrtulations! I will look forward to the forthcoming birth story!

Carl

Jamie Clark
July 3rd 06, 11:11 PM
lucy-lu wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Here are the vital stats :)
>
> Jessica Kate born 24.06.06 10.46 am
> 8lbs 9oz
> 21 inches
> green eyes, brown hair
> Labour time 4hrs 15 mins, gas and air
>
> I'll do a birth story and photos later, but just wanted to let you all
> know :) I came home yesterday afternoon, as she's feeding well, labour
> was fantastic and everything's great.
>
> Lucy x

Whooo hoooo! Congrats!

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password