PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden foods

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 06:15 AM
Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?

I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

Me Myself and I
June 26th 06, 06:44 AM
Make some yourself :) That way you know that the meat is heated up really
really well before you eat it ;)

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
"I'm a big girl cause I go to school kindy"

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
Took her first steps on her 1st Birthday.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

--
"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

Special K!
June 26th 06, 07:04 AM
As long as you make sure they're heated up really well, they should be okay
in moderation. I had a craving for grilled hot dogs and potato salad a few
months ago and didn't deprive myself. :)

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

Nina Pretty Ballerina
June 26th 06, 10:36 AM
"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once or
twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone, not
like listeria.

but yeah, heat it up up up as the others suggest

chris

Anne Rogers
June 26th 06, 10:46 AM
> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

It would never occur to me not to eat a hot dog, I'm presuming the reason
why you've been told not to is incase the meat isn't fully cooked? which I
suppose would then be a listeria and/or toxoplasmosis risk. I'd go ahead,
make them yourself if you can, or use a reliable vendor. Funnily enough I
also had hot dog cravings, I made them at home a few times, or used one
stand that is outside our church so we use them fairly frequently and have
never had a problem, they have always been piping hot and cooked through.

Cheers

Anne

Ericka Kammerer
June 26th 06, 01:16 PM
Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>>
>> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!
>
> if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once or
> twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone, not
> like listeria.

Um, the main reason hot dogs are cautioned against
*is* listeria. I mean, we all know they're not exactly
health food, but they're not so bad healthwise as to
recommend completely abstaining. However, as others have said,
if you make it yourself and cook it thoroughly, the listeria
risk is minimal.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Nina Pretty Ballerina
June 26th 06, 01:27 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
>> "Denise~*" > wrote in message
>>> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>>>
>>> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!
>>
>> if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once
>> or twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone,
>> not like listeria.
>
> Um, the main reason hot dogs are cautioned against
> *is* listeria. I mean, we all know they're not exactly
> health food, but they're not so bad healthwise as to
> recommend completely abstaining. However, as others have said,
> if you make it yourself and cook it thoroughly, the listeria
> risk is minimal.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

there you go, i thought it was the excessive nitrites used in smoking meat
and meat products.

lucky for me i am not a big hot dog eater, and lucky for the OP plenty or
people read and answered her post

Jennifer Massey-Howe
June 26th 06, 03:13 PM
When I was pregnant with DD I craved them but they had to be raw so had to
limit myself to 1 or 2 hot dogs a week if that. Thank goodness that craving
passed.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alex 6/4/05

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

Ericka Kammerer
June 26th 06, 05:58 PM
Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:
> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Nina Pretty Ballerina wrote:

>>> if you satisfied that craving every day, then i'd be worrying, but once
>>> or twice? go for it. in my opinion anyway. Hot dogs wont kill anyone,
>>> not like listeria.
>> Um, the main reason hot dogs are cautioned against
>> *is* listeria. I mean, we all know they're not exactly
>> health food, but they're not so bad healthwise as to
>> recommend completely abstaining. However, as others have said,
>> if you make it yourself and cook it thoroughly, the listeria
>> risk is minimal.

> there you go, i thought it was the excessive nitrites used in smoking meat
> and meat products.

That's definitely a factor in suggesting that they're
not particularly healthy foods and should be eaten in moderation,
if at all. It's just that what gets them on some 'banned foods'
lists for pregnancy is the listeria risk, as with all deli
meats, especially if you're getting them from somewhere that
you can't guarantee they've been handled and cooked properly.

Best wishes,
Ericka

JJ
June 26th 06, 06:06 PM
They do make nitrite- free hotdogs- can't remember the brand name, but
I got some once at Central Market (TX store- branch of HEB) when I was
craving them with DD. That said, I doubt a small amount of nitrite
now and then can hurt much.

JJ

Denise~*
June 26th 06, 08:00 PM
Thanks all, I had my hot dog for lunch & I'm happy!

Plus, it was twice cooked, once on the BBQ yesterday & again in the
microwave today. It should be safe!

Anna.Nicole.m
June 27th 06, 07:24 PM
If you are in the US go to the Breakfast section of your grocery store
and pick up a pack of Morningstar farms veggie dogs. Most people
cannot tell a difference. I've been a veggie for years and those with
sauerkraut and cheese are to die for. literally I'll go to the store
and buy that for dinner on a regular basis. good thing my husband is
low maintenance too.

Denise~* wrote:
> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

Ericka Kammerer
June 27th 06, 08:19 PM
Anna.Nicole.m wrote:
> If you are in the US go to the Breakfast section of your grocery store
> and pick up a pack of Morningstar farms veggie dogs. Most people
> cannot tell a difference.

Really? I don't know anyone who *can't* tell the
difference. I've got nothing against the Morningstar veggie
dogs--like 'em, in fact--but I can't imagine not being able
to tell the difference between them and non-veggie hot dogs.

Best wishes,
Ericka

T Flynn
June 27th 06, 08:29 PM
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

> Really? I don't know anyone who *can't* tell the
> difference. I've got nothing against the Morningstar veggie
> dogs--like 'em, in fact--but I can't imagine not being able
> to tell the difference between them and non-veggie hot dogs.

With the opening of a cool new healthy organic foods store nearby, I've
been adding meat substitutes to our meal circuit, and my husband's big
test is to see if the dog will eat it. She liked Gardenburgers, she
didn't like seitan.

But then she doesn't like most deli meats either. Hrm.

Anna.Nicole.m
June 29th 06, 01:14 PM
> Really? I don't know anyone who *can't* tell the
> difference. I've got nothing against the Morningstar veggie
> dogs--like 'em, in fact--but I can't imagine not being able
> to tell the difference between them and non-veggie hot dogs.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

If you throw them on the grill and mix them in with all the hotdogs, no
one can tell which are which. I do it all the time to my husbands
family. They think they cannot possibly eat an entire meal without
meat in it. And trust me these people could tell if anyone could
tell. And they have absolutely no clue.

Ericka Kammerer
June 29th 06, 03:06 PM
Anna.Nicole.m wrote:

>> Really? I don't know anyone who *can't* tell the
>> difference. I've got nothing against the Morningstar veggie
>> dogs--like 'em, in fact--but I can't imagine not being able
>> to tell the difference between them and non-veggie hot dogs.

> If you throw them on the grill and mix them in with all the hotdogs, no
> one can tell which are which. I do it all the time to my husbands
> family. They think they cannot possibly eat an entire meal without
> meat in it. And trust me these people could tell if anyone could
> tell. And they have absolutely no clue.

Mind boggling. Maybe they're just loading them up
with so many condiments they can't actually taste the dog.
I can certainly tell the difference between the two. Or
maybe it depends on what sort of meat hot dog you're using.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Jamie Clark
July 3rd 06, 11:26 PM
Denise~* wrote:
> Are hot dogs REALLY all that bad?
>
> I've been craving a hot dog for the last few weeks. Grrrr!

Nope. I wouldn't eat them every day, but once in a while isn't going to hurt
you or the baby.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Tori M
July 4th 06, 05:13 AM
If your used to the kind that are 60cents for 10 and go to the morningstar
it is almost the same.. not true for the good Hebrew National that actauly
taste like food.
Tori