PDA

View Full Version : MMR victim awarded $43.1 million

john
July 7th 06, 07:48 PM
Of course, it can kill and cripple you somehow but not cause autism.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14982718.htm

The 7-year-old's settlement comes under a national vaccine compensation
program.
By JULIUS A. KARASH
The Kansas City Star
a.. National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
In what is thought to be one of the largest such settlements ever, a
quadriplegic boy has been awarded $43.1 million under a government vaccine
injury program.

Seven-year-old Mario Arturo Rodriguez, who once lived in Kansas City and
received a vaccination at Children's Mercy Hospital, will receive the money
under a settlement reached this week through the no-fault National Vaccine
Injury Compensation Program of the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services.

Mario's case alleged that he became a quadriplegic after receiving a
measles, mumps and rubella vaccine at Children's Mercy Hospital's pediatric
clinic on Jan. 25, 2000.

The hospital was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit. Under the
guidelines of the program, the litigation was filed against the Department
of Health and Human Services.

Kansas City attorney Leland Dempsey, who represented Mario, said Thursday
that it was his understanding that the settlement was one of the biggest
ever reached under the program.

"One unusual aspect of the case is that Mario is expected to have a normal
lifespan, and therefore will require more years of care that will cost more
money," Dempsey said. "He will need round-the-clock care, including
extensive medical intervention, throughout his life."

Dempsey said the money will be paid over Mario's lifetime, probably
beginning with about $2 million this year. The boy lives with his mother in
Oak Harbor, Wash., he said.

Bill Hall, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services in
Washington, said Thursday that he was not familiar with the case and
therefore could not comment.

According to statistics on the department's Web site,
www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation, in fiscal year 2006 the fund paid out a
total of $38.2 million in cases involving 47 awards.

The program was established in 1988 to ensure an adequate supply of
vaccines, stabilize vaccine costs and establish an accessible forum for
those injured by vaccines. A small percentage of children have serious
reactions to vaccinations.

Dempsey emphasized that Mario's injuries are highly unusual and that parents
should not hesitate to get their children immunized against diseases.

"I can't imagine that anyone would refrain from getting their child
immunized," Dempsey said. "It would be irresponsible."

Mark Probert
July 7th 06, 09:26 PM
john wrote:
> Of course, it can kill and cripple you somehow but not cause autism.
>

> http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14982718.htm
>
> The 7-year-old's settlement comes under a national vaccine compensation
> program.
> By JULIUS A. KARASH
> The Kansas City Star
> a.. National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
> In what is thought to be one of the largest such settlements ever, a
> quadriplegic boy has been awarded $43.1 million under a government vaccine
> injury program.
>
> Seven-year-old Mario Arturo Rodriguez, who once lived in Kansas City and
> received a vaccination at Children's Mercy Hospital, will receive the money
> under a settlement reached this week through the no-fault National Vaccine
> Injury Compensation Program of the U.S. Department of Health and Human
> Services.
>
> Mario's case alleged that he became a quadriplegic after receiving a
> measles, mumps and rubella vaccine at Children's Mercy Hospital's pediatric
> clinic on Jan. 25, 2000.
>
> The hospital was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit. Under the
> guidelines of the program, the litigation was filed against the Department
> of Health and Human Services.
>
> Kansas City attorney Leland Dempsey, who represented Mario, said Thursday
> that it was his understanding that the settlement was one of the biggest
> ever reached under the program.
>
> "One unusual aspect of the case is that Mario is expected to have a normal
> lifespan, and therefore will require more years of care that will cost more
> money," Dempsey said. "He will need round-the-clock care, including
> extensive medical intervention, throughout his life."

Horse****. Being immobile as a quadriplegic causes all sorts of
problems, like infected ulcers, DVT, etc. You never know when it will
kill you.

> Dempsey said the money will be paid over Mario's lifetime, probably
> beginning with about $2 million this year. The boy lives with his mother in
> Oak Harbor, Wash., he said.
>
> Bill Hall, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services in
> Washington, said Thursday that he was not familiar with the case and
> therefore could not comment.
>
> According to statistics on the department's Web site,
> www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation, in fiscal year 2006 the fund paid out a
> total of $38.2 million in cases involving 47 awards.
>
> The program was established in 1988 to ensure an adequate supply of
> vaccines, stabilize vaccine costs and establish an accessible forum for
> those injured by vaccines. A small percentage of children have serious
> reactions to vaccinations.
>
> Dempsey emphasized that Mario's injuries are highly unusual and that parents
> should not hesitate to get their children immunized against diseases.
>
> "I can't imagine that anyone would refrain from getting their child
> immunized," Dempsey said. "It would be irresponsible."

True.

john
July 8th 06, 07:36 PM
Bryan: Come on, John. If vaccines are so dangerous you surely can find some
little bit of science from the last 5 or so years to prove the case.

> http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14982718.htm
>
> The 7-year-old's settlement comes under a national vaccine compensation
> program.
> By JULIUS A. KARASH
> The Kansas City Star
> a.. National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
> In what is thought to be one of the largest such settlements ever, a
> quadriplegic boy has been awarded $43.1 million under a government vaccine
> injury program.
>
> Seven-year-old Mario Arturo Rodriguez, who once lived in Kansas City and
> received a vaccination at Children's Mercy Hospital, will receive the
> money under a settlement reached this week through the no-fault National
> Vaccine Injury Compensation Program of the U.S. Department of Health and
> Human Services.
>
> Mario's case alleged that he became a quadriplegic after receiving a
> measles, mumps and rubella vaccine at Children's Mercy Hospital's
> pediatric clinic on Jan. 25, 2000.
>
> The hospital was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit. Under the
> guidelines of the program, the litigation was filed against the Department
> of Health and Human Services.
>
> Kansas City attorney Leland Dempsey, who represented Mario, said Thursday
> that it was his understanding that the settlement was one of the biggest
> ever reached under the program.
>
> "One unusual aspect of the case is that Mario is expected to have a normal
> lifespan, and therefore will require more years of care that will cost
> more money," Dempsey said. "He will need round-the-clock care, including
> extensive medical intervention, throughout his life."
>
> Dempsey said the money will be paid over Mario's lifetime, probably
> beginning with about $2 million this year. The boy lives with his mother
> in Oak Harbor, Wash., he said.
>
> Bill Hall, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services in
> Washington, said Thursday that he was not familiar with the case and
> therefore could not comment.
>
> According to statistics on the department's Web site,
> www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation, in fiscal year 2006 the fund paid out a
> total of $38.2 million in cases involving 47 awards.
>
> The program was established in 1988 to ensure an adequate supply of
> vaccines, stabilize vaccine costs and establish an accessible forum for
> those injured by vaccines. A small percentage of children have serious
> reactions to vaccinations.
>
> Dempsey emphasized that Mario's injuries are highly unusual and that
> parents should not hesitate to get their children immunized against
> diseases.
>
> "I can't imagine that anyone would refrain from getting their child
> immunized," Dempsey said. "It would be irresponsible."

David Wright
July 9th 06, 08:13 PM
In article >, john > wrote:
>Of course, it can kill and cripple you somehow but not cause autism.

Being hit in the head with a tire iron can kill or cripple you, but
it's not a cause of autism. john, you redefine "stupid" to mean you,
with every numbskull assertion you make.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"If you can't say something nice, then sit next to me."
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth