PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Offers Alternative To Ritalin For Kids With ADD, ADHD

Jan Drew
July 8th 06, 10:18 PM
http://www.local10.com/health/9483114/detail.html

Doctor Offers Alternative To Ritalin For Kids With ADD, ADHD
Program Uses Exercise, Movement

Excerpt:

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- The use of drugs to treat mood and behavior disorders in
children is rising dramatically. It's estimated that nearly 10 million
school-age children are on stimulant drugs such as Ritalin to treat
Attention Deficit Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

While some experts say medication is the best treatment option, a South
Florida doctor is pushing a different approach.

Boca Raton psychologist Dr. Brian Sheen has developed a program called Clear
Minded Children.

"We teach them how to relax," Sheen said. "We teach them how to focus. We
teach them how to concentrate and direct their mind -- how to interact and
make better choices."

The program focuses on exercise and movement. Kids mimic some of their
favorite activities and relax through fluid yoga poses.

"Every parent with a kid who's been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD knows if you
want to get a quick change in their behavior and attitude, get them out
doing a bunch of exercises," Sheen said.

More at link.

Raving Loonie
July 8th 06, 11:00 PM

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/media-pictures/dmc-xmas-card.jpg