PDA

View Full Version : Rio Rancho Public Schools (Albuquerque suburb, New Mexico) bans aspartame, splenda, caffeine, etc.

July 20th 06, 05:26 PM
Rio Rancho Public Schools (Albuquerque suburb, New Mexico)
bans aspartame, splenda, caffeine, etc. in Mid-High and high school:
Gary Herron, The Rio Rancho Observer: Murray 2006.07.19
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1357

"Drinks containing the sweeteners Splenda and Aspartame are banned,
as well as drinks containing caffeine."

http://www.observer-online.com/articles/2006/07/19/news/story4.txt

School board OKs new health policy

By GARY HERRON, OBSERVER STAFF REPORTER

The Rio Rancho Public Schools Board of Education
knows in its collective heart it is doing right by students
at the Mid-High and high school in adopting
a new health and wellness policy.
The board also knows, however,
that there will be shortages in revenues with the new policy.

Students will no longer see Pepsi machines on the campuses,
and will no longer be able to purchase soft drinks
either during school hours or after school, as in the past.
In Pepsi's agreement to provide vending machines,
a lot of activities were funded.

"It's going to be a considerable amount of money,"
noted Superintendent Dr. Sue Cleveland. "But it's the right thing to
do."

"Sports drinks" were nearly banned, too, until the board decided
to allow the sale and consumption of them after lunch.
"I think the kids will buy sports drinks," Cleveland said.

Students can bring soft drinks to school in their backpacks,
but won't be permitted to sell them to other students.

At sports events, where boosters often have a concession stand open,
often providing soft drinks, sales will be permitted
but there will need to be an equal offering of the health foods/drinks.

A section of the just-approved Policy 358 states that
"Rio Rancho schools shall promote the role of nutrition
in academic performance and quality of life
and will adhere to or exceed the nutrition guidelines set forth
(by the state)"
and continues in a subsection to note that
"Guidelines for school-sponsored fundraisers before and after
school hours ensuring that at least 50 percent of the offerings
shall be healthy choices in accordance with the requirements
set forth (elsewhere in the policy)."

One example of where the schools are exceeding the state guidelines
is prohibiting the vending of 2 percent milk;
RRPS only allows milk with 1 percent or less fat content.

RRPS, with the adoption of the policy,
"will provide nutrition education activities
that align with the New Mexico health education content standards,
benchmarks and performance standards ..."

Tonna Burgos, chair of the School Health Advisory Committee
(SHAC), told the board the guidelines haven't been
formally hammered out by the state.

"This is new for everybody," RRPS spokesperson Kim Vesely said,
adding that the state Public Education Department is expected
to soon have an all-encompassing Web site detailing what is approved
and not approved for sale.
(The PED is seeking someone to work with all 89 school districts
in the state to provide training and development data for school boards
to use in their wellness policies; a request for proposals for that
position
was on the PED Web site, with a due date of Aug. 18.)

"They haven't given us a list," Burgos said.

"The key is going to be finding those distributors with things ready to
go,"
Cleveland said.

Drinks containing the sweeteners Splenda and Aspartame are banned,
as well as drinks containing caffeine.

http://www.observer-online.com/about_us/

Publisher - Sandy Rea
Managing Editor - Betta Ferrendelli
Advertising Manager - Robert Lambert
Business Manager - Sharon Ely
Circulation Manager - Virginia Allen
Production Manager - Gina Martinez
The Observer is one of the publications of Wick Communications Co.,
an Arizona corporation.

The Rio Rancho Observer Newspaper
1594 Sara Road Suites D and E
P.O. Box 15878 Rio Rancho, NM 87174
Phone: 505-892-8080 Fax: 505-892-5719
E-mail and Letters to the Editor:

http://www.rrps.net/ Rio Rancho Public Schools
500 Laser Rd. Rio Rancho, NM 87124
505-896-0667 (phone) 505-896-0662 (fax)

district office

Dr. V. Sue Cleveland, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools
505-896-0667 fax 505-896-1169

Kim Vesely, Communications Officer
505-896-0667 fax 505-896-0662

http://www.observer-online.com/articles/2006/01/14/news/story6.txt
Tonna Burgos, Special Services executive director

RRPS Board of Education Profiles
The five-member, elected School Board is the statutory governing body
for the school district. The board is responsible for establishing
overall direction and district policy.
Under state law, the board hires the district Superintendent.

District 1 Don J. Schlichte, Member
Elected: March 12, 2001
Re-elected: Feb. 14, 2005 Term Expires: 2009

District 2 Marty Scharfglass, Member
Elected: February 4, 2003 Term Expires: 2007

District 3 Margaret M. Terry, Secretary
Elected: March 12, 2001 Re-elected: Feb. 14, 2005 Term Expires: 2009

District 4 Kathy Jackson, Vice President
Elected: February 4, 2003 Term Expires: 2007

District 5 Lisa Cour, President
Elected: February 4, 1997 Re-elected: March 12, 2001
Re-elected: Feb. 14, 2005 Term Expires: 2009

Contact Information:
If you need to contact a particular Board Member,
you can call Ema Archibeque-Dreher, Administrative Assistant
at 896-0667 x123 or send her an email:

http://www.rrps.net/NewRRMH/index.htm
Rio Rancho Mid High [ 8th and 9th grade ]
1600 40th Street Rio Rancho, NM 87144
Phone: 891-5335 Fax: 891-1180

www.rrps.net/rrhs/rrhs.htm
Rio Rancho High School
301 Loma Colorado, NE Rio Rancho, NM 87124
Phone: (505) 896-5600 Fax: (505) 896-5901
Richard Von Ancken, Principal
Assistant Principals:
Sue Carley, Pat DiVasto, Lisa Dobson, Rudy Galindo,
Jacquie Monclova, Shirley Ogle

~250 word letter to the editor:

Congratulations to the third governmental entity in history to limit
aspartame use in any way:

China to restrict aspartame production and sale, three major agencies,
five producers www.FoodIngredientsFirst.com: Murray 2006.07.16

Connecticut bans artificial sweeteners in schools, Nancy Barnes,
New Milford Times: Murray 2006.05.25

formaldehyde from 11% methanol part of aspartame or from red wine
causes same toxicity (hangover) harm: Murray 2006.05.24

Dark wines and liquors, as well as aspartame, provide
similar levels of methanol, above 120 mg daily, for
long-term heavy users, 2 L daily, about 6 cans.

Within hours, methanol is inevitably largely turned into formaldehyde,
and thence largely into formic acid -- the major causes of the dreaded
symptoms of "next morning" hangover.

Fully 11% of aspartame is methanol -- 1,120 mg aspartame
in 2 L diet soda, almost six 12-oz cans, gives 123 mg
methanol (wood alcohol). If 30% of the methanol is turned
into formaldehyde, the amount of formaldehyde, 37 mg,
is 18.5 times the USA EPA limit for daily formaldehyde in
drinking water, 2.0 mg in 2 L average daily drinking water.

"Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority,
to actively find, quickly share, and positively act upon the facts
about healthy and safe food, drink, and environment."

Rich Murray, MA Room For All
505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

group with 72 members, 1,358 posts in a public, searchable archive
http://RMForAll.blogspot.com

aspartame groups and books: updated research review of 2004.07.16:
Murray 2006.05.11

methanol (formaldehyde, formic acid) disposition: Bouchard M
et al, full plain text, 2001: substantial sources are
degradation of fruit pectins, liquors, aspartame, smoke:
Murray 2005.04.02

NIH NLM ToxNet HSDB Hazardous Substances Data Bank
inadequate re aspartame (methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid):
Murray 2006.07.16
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1349

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~HwoSfJ:1
HSDB Hazardous Substances Data Bank: Aspartame

ASPARTAME CASRN: 22839-47-0
METHANOL CASRN: 67-56-1
FORMALDEHYDE CASRN: 50-00-0
FORMIC ACID CASRN: 64-18-6

Jeff
July 21st 06, 12:03 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Rio Rancho Public Schools (Albuquerque suburb, New Mexico)
> bans aspartame, splenda, caffeine, etc. in Mid-High and high school:
> Gary Herron, The Rio Rancho Observer: Murray 2006.07.19
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1357
>
> "Drinks containing the sweeteners Splenda and Aspartame are banned,
> as well as drinks containing caffeine."

More accurately, sales of drinks with the sweeteners and caffiene as well as
2% (but not 1%) milke are banned. Students are still alllowed to bring the
drinks into school.

That is an important distinction.

Sounds like a good idea. I wish more school districts would do that,
although I would not ban sales of drinks containing aspartame.

Jeff

(...)