PDA

View Full Version : Re: Girl locked in attic

0:->
January 20th 07, 10:23 PM
Dragon's Girl wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Detectives described the girl as intelligent and strong despite her
>>> ordeal. She told police that over the past month or so she tried to cry
>>> but couldn't produce tears.
>>>
>>> The girl was enrolled in Oshkosh public schools until August 2002, when
>>> she was transferred to Grace Lutheran School in Oshkosh, said John
>>> Sprangers, human resources director for the Oshkosh Area School
>>> District, which has about 10,300 students. School records indicate the
>>> girl was re-enrolled on Dec. 11 and is still considered a student at
>>> South Park Middle School.
>>>
>>> Clint and Lynn Engstrom had financial problems for several years,
>>> according to circuit court records that show numerous small claims
>>> judgments for unpaid bills ranging from $2,500 for utilities and $2,300
>>> for medical expenses to a mortgage foreclosure on their previous
>>> Oshkosh home in 2004.
>>>
>>> Court records show that the girl's mother was never married to Clint
>>> Engstrom. She has since married and had four more children, according
>>> to records. The mother, who was 17 when the girl was born, could not be
>>> reached Wednesday.
>>>
>>> Neighbors on Minnesota Street and people who know the couple weren't
>>> answering their doors Wednesday, and two employees who worked with Lynn
>>> Engstrom at Oshkosh Lanes said their boss had ordered them not to talk
>>> about her.
>>>

>>> I heard of tough love,but this takes the cake.
>>>
>>> spd
>> When I was active in mental health work with children and attending
>> school one of the more interesting points in our lectures was the
>> strange phenomena of the normal looking family that had one child be the
>> scapegoat.
>>
>> The family dynamics theory would have it that there was a serious
>> dysfunction at work. Often mental illness or drugs, that was a threat to
>> the cohesion of the family, and that children would try very hard not to
>> lose their family by playing into the crazy person's scenario to hide,
>> minimize, or deny the element of destruction...themselves.
>>
>> And the "scapegoat" child was a role everyone supported, even the child
>> him or herself without knowing they were.
>>
>> Looks like a very strong healthy child in a very sick family in this case.
>>
>> I can recall consciously having to instruct myself, when I worked with
>> such families, and I did, to maintain strict professionalism. But
>> secretly I wanted to beat the crap out of the family for doing this to
>> an innocent child.
>>
>> Do you think I should see a shrink?
>>
>> Again you spoiled my day LaMar. I should stop reading your posts in the
>> morning.
>>
>> 0;-]
>>

>>> ---
>>>

> And did you know that often when the scapegoat child is removed from
> the home for one reason or another, like becoming of age, running away,
> etc, that the parents actually will turn to another child to fill the

Yes, my first college class that discussed the issue of the family
dynamic of out of kilter families, made that point, and when I did my
first field practicum and latter when I was working full time in the
field, we saw proof of that again and again.

A child would come into the therapeutic setting from an abusive
situation, and the family would be fine for a couple of weeks, and this
I remember, the family focus person (usually the nutjob) would call
complaining that, "Now Mary has started the same behaviors Jack was doing."

We'd just open our appointment book and set them up to come in again.
<sigh>

> Chilling.

Yes. And dangerous, because some kids would not knuckle under to being
scape goated so easily and take horrendous injury. I believe sometimes
death itself.

You can only imagine the level that "spanking" escalates to in the
recreation process.

Everyone is frantic to repeat the cycle because it eases up the threat
the family will implode or explode and come apart with the real perp
standing alone and exposed.

Kids will submit to just about anything, including sexual abuse of them,
rather than risk the disintegration of the family. It's painful to watch
a child sacrifice themselves in this way. And KNOW they are being abused
but NOT have proof so it can be reported....for a time.

> Families could run through decades of children that they abuse and
> mistreat this kind of way.

Yep. The cycle of abuse can be within one generation in this very way.

Thank you for pointing out that you've seen and recognized it.

You should think about the field of child rehab if you are ever
interested. Could you handle dealing with families doing this?

They are always totally ignorant about it until sometime late in
therapy. You'd have to be patient.

Kane

Dragon's Girl
January 21st 07, 03:10 AM
0:-> wrote:
> [...]
> recreation process.
>
> Everyone is frantic to repeat the cycle because it eases up the threat
> the family will implode or explode and come apart with the real perp
> standing alone and exposed.
>
> Kids will submit to just about anything, including sexual abuse of them,
> rather than risk the disintegration of the family. It's painful to watch
> a child sacrifice themselves in this way. And KNOW they are being abused
> but NOT have proof so it can be reported....for a time.
>
> > Families could run through decades of children that they abuse and
> > mistreat this kind of way.
>
> Yep. The cycle of abuse can be within one generation in this very way.
>
> Thank you for pointing out that you've seen and recognized it.
>
> You should think about the field of child rehab if you are ever
> interested. Could you handle dealing with families doing this?

I could not handle it.
They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after only a few months
of dealing with abused kids.

> They are always totally ignorant about it until sometime late in
> therapy. You'd have to be patient.
>
> Kane

Greegor
January 22nd 07, 08:22 AM
Betty wrote
> I could not handle it.
> They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
> only a few months of dealing with abused kids.

You got out last time.

Dragon's Girl
January 22nd 07, 04:21 PM
Greegor wrote:
> Betty wrote
> > I could not handle it.
> > They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
> > only a few months of dealing with abused kids.
>
> You got out last time.

Boy, you are just DYING to start something with me, aren't you Greg?

Greegor
January 22nd 07, 08:05 PM
Betty Jean Hammond Wirsen of Springfield MO wrote:
> I could not handle it.
> They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
> only a few months of dealing with abused kids.

G> > You got out last time.

Betty wrote
> Boy, you are just DYING to start something with me, aren't you Greg?

Kane's right, you've got the demeanor to be a caseworker! <cackle!>
If you have a raging case of hemorrhoids your attitude would be
on par with most other caseworkers. Eminently qualified.

Send them your picture. They's hire you.

0:->
January 22nd 07, 09:09 PM
Greegor wrote:
> Betty Jean Hammond Wirsen of Springfield MO wrote:
>> I could not handle it.
>> They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
>> only a few months of dealing with abused kids.
>
> G> > You got out last time.
>
> Betty wrote
>> Boy, you are just DYING to start something with me, aren't you Greg?
>
> Kane's right, you've got the demeanor to be a caseworker!

Demeanor? I don't recall using that word.

Please provide a citation.

<cackle!>
> If you have a raging case of hemorrhoids your attitude would be
> on par with most other caseworkers. Eminently qualified.

Back to attacking parents again, Greg?

Betty is parenting her grandchild.

> Send them your picture. They's hire you.

Mmmm...given her current status with CPS I'd not suggest that. Maybe
later, as I suggested when the kids are grown and she has more time.

In fact, I doubt that with an open case for her grandchild they would
hire, same as anyone else in similar circumstances.

But the, Betty has been an exceptionally even handed critic and
supporter of CPS where each was appropriate.

Do you have some actual evidence she has not been?

I think you are just a bit sensitive to Betty given that she finds your
ethics so questionable.

Isn't that right Greg?

spd
January 22nd 07, 09:09 PM
Greegor wrote:
> Betty Jean Hammond Wirsen of Springfield MO wrote:
> > I could not handle it.
> > They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
> > only a few months of dealing with abused kids.
>
> G> > You got out last time.
>
> Betty wrote
> > Boy, you are just DYING to start something with me, aren't you Greg?
>
> Kane's right, you've got the demeanor to be a caseworker! <cackle!>
> If you have a raging case of hemorrhoids your attitude would be
> on par with most other caseworkers. Eminently qualified.
>
> Send them your picture. They's hire you.

Greg you still washin' dishes @ the Red Neck Yacht Club ? I thought you
left that gig to mop sticky floors @ the Hill Billy Adult Book
Store...I thought I told you...you don't have to work, that motion you
wrote for court would fetch a bit on EBAY...any mental health
professional would fo' sure co-sign your SSI/nut-check..what gives ?

just me,

spd

0:->
January 22nd 07, 09:11 PM
spd wrote:
> Greegor wrote:
>> Betty Jean Hammond Wirsen of Springfield MO wrote:
>>> I could not handle it.
>>> They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
>>> only a few months of dealing with abused kids.
>>
>> Betty wrote
>>> Boy, you are just DYING to start something with me, aren't you Greg?
>> Kane's right, you've got the demeanor to be a caseworker! <cackle!>
>> If you have a raging case of hemorrhoids your attitude would be
>> on par with most other caseworkers. Eminently qualified.
>>
>> Send them your picture. They's hire you.
>
> Greg you still washin' dishes @ the Red Neck Yacht Club ? I thought you
> left that gig to mop sticky floors @ the Hill Billy Adult Book
> Store...I thought I told you...you don't have to work, that motion you
> wrote for court would fetch a bit on EBAY...any mental health
> professional would fo' sure co-sign your SSI/nut-check..what gives ?
>
> just me,
>
> spd

<mmmmmphhhhhtttt>

There goes my tea.

Dragon's Girl
January 22nd 07, 11:14 PM
spd wrote:
> Greegor wrote:
> > Betty Jean Hammond Wirsen of Springfield MO wrote:
> > > I could not handle it.
> > > They would have to lock me up in a rubber room after
> > > only a few months of dealing with abused kids.

> > Betty wrote
> > > Boy, you are just DYING to start something with me, aren't you Greg?
> >
> > Kane's right, you've got the demeanor to be a caseworker! <cackle!>
> > If you have a raging case of hemorrhoids your attitude would be
> > on par with most other caseworkers. Eminently qualified.
> >
> > Send them your picture. They's hire you.
>
> Greg you still washin' dishes @ the Red Neck Yacht Club ?

I thought they closed that place down because of all the cases of Ecoli
that bounced out of there.

I thought you
> left that gig to mop sticky floors @ the Hill Billy Adult Book
> Store

*I* thought that even those placed didn't hire suspected criminals. Go
'figgur'.

....I thought I told you...you don't have to work, that motion you
> wrote for court would fetch a bit on EBAY...any mental health
> professional would fo' sure co-sign your SSI/nut-check..what gives ?

The sad part is that he would qualify just on the 'I really believe
this' aspect.