PDA

View Full Version : Child Protection Agency CENSORED 8 pages of a report!

Greegor
March 2nd 07, 10:33 AM
http://www.klas-tv.com/global/story.asp?s=6129268

Colleen McCarty, Investigative Reporter
I-Team: Clark County Issues Re-Review of Child Welfare Cases

Feb 22, 2007 10:36 PM CST

The Clark County Department of Family Services has completed a re-
review of 55 child welfare cases. They are the children identified in
an 8-page document that was censored from a report critical of the
agency.

Eyewitness News was the first to report on the missing eight pages.
The I-Team now has the update.

DFS Director Tom Morton believes this incident hurt his credibility
and, by extension, his department's. Attorneys for the county, he
says, decided without his input to censor those eight pages, and now
it's up to him to restore the public trust. To do that, he must first
ensure the safety of the children.

For the last few weeks, Department of Family Services managers have re-
examined all 55 cases -- children under the age of five flagged by a
consultant as at risk last year. Morton believes the kids are all safe
and accounted for. Though to be sure he's asked a second consultant to
review the review.

Morton said, "We'll go in and have an independent outside team look at
each to make sure that what was reported to me by my managers is in
fact correct, and [if] there are any other issues that weren't
recognized by the managers that create additional concern."

Unrelated to this review, the county also revealed Thursday it has as
many as 2,000 backlogged abuse and neglect investigations involving
5,000 children. That means the cases have been open for more than 45
days.

The best-case scenario is they involve children who have a
corresponding criminal case that is still open. The worst-case
scenario is the children have never been seen.

Consultants and staff are working to follow up on every case.

0:-]
March 2nd 07, 03:51 PM
On 2 Mar 2007 02:33:21 -0800, "Greegor" > wrote:
...."Child Protection Agency CENSORED 8 pages of a report!" as the
subject title....and that would be a lie, a false claim, by you, if
you created that title, Greg.

I believe the correct headline is:
"I-Team: Clark County Issues Re-Review of Child Welfare Cases"

Which shows responsible public servant behavior, Greg. You are a
liar....as I point out from time to time and I have proof of
it...AGAIN!

Here is the critical piece about what the CPS agency actually DID do,
liar.

" DFS Director Tom Morton believes this incident hurt his credibility
and, by extension, his department's. ***Attorneys for the county, he
says, decided without his input to censor those eight pages,*** and
now it's up to him to restore the public trust. To do that, he must
first ensure the safety of the children. "

Now read the actual article closely, Greg, and answer the pop quiz at
the end, thanks.

>http://www.klas-tv.com/global/story.asp?s=6129268
>
>Colleen McCarty, Investigative Reporter
>I-Team: Clark County Issues Re-Review of Child Welfare Cases
>
>Feb 22, 2007 10:36 PM CST
>
>The Clark County Department of Family Services has completed a re-
>review of 55 child welfare cases. They are the children identified in
>an 8-page document that was censored from a report critical of the
>agency.
>
>Eyewitness News was the first to report on the missing eight pages.
>The I-Team now has the update.
>
>DFS Director Tom Morton believes this incident hurt his credibility
>and, by extension, his department's. Attorneys for the county, he
>says, decided without his input to censor those eight pages, and now
>it's up to him to restore the public trust. To do that, he must first
>ensure the safety of the children.
>
>For the last few weeks, Department of Family Services managers have re-
>examined all 55 cases -- children under the age of five flagged by a
>consultant as at risk last year. Morton believes the kids are all safe
>and accounted for. Though to be sure he's asked a second consultant to
>review the review.
>
>Morton said, "We'll go in and have an independent outside team look at
>each to make sure that what was reported to me by my managers is in
>fact correct, and [if] there are any other issues that weren't
>recognized by the managers that create additional concern."
>
>Unrelated to this review, the county also revealed Thursday it has as
>many as 2,000 backlogged abuse and neglect investigations involving
>5,000 children. That means the cases have been open for more than 45
>days.
>
>The best-case scenario is they involve children who have a
>corresponding criminal case that is still open. The worst-case
>scenario is the children have never been seen.
>
>Consultants and staff are working to follow up on every case.

Question: is this article not in fact entirely complimentary, except
for that one piece of idle worst scenario speculation (YOUR kind of
insinuation, Greg) to the county DSF office and DFS Director Tom
Morton?

Or have you changed your tune now and are deliberately posting
positive articles about CPS?

R RRRR R R R

Greegor
March 3rd 07, 06:58 AM
Kane: How is government corruption a flattering story?
Perhaps to people INSIDE the agencies or brown nosing them,
but to most CITIZENS, it really STINKS that 8 pages were
CENSORED from the report.

I particularly like how they tried to do this quietly.
It smells a bit like when prosecutors withhold EXCULPATORY
INFORMATION.
Tsk Tsk...

Perhaps to INSIDERS this sounds like a good idea,
but Citizens are getting intolerant of such stuff.
Agencies using tax money to promote themselves,
"spin" issues and situations and getting caught
censoring the damning or embarassing parts of a
report that should be (by law in many states)
PUBLIC will not go over well.

Even the news media is going to have a tougher time
glad handing such stuff because more and more people
realize how the press is brown nosing government.
The press will have to balance the government brown nosing
against the real prospect of destroying more of their credibility.

0:->
March 3rd 07, 04:24 PM
On Mar 2, 10:58 pm, "Greegor" > wrote:
> Kane: How is government corruption a flattering story?

"Government corruption" is all inclusive. No such claim was made by
the article.

The guilty parties are "Attorneys for the county." The watchdog and
clean up party in this case, the director of your favorite whipping
boy, DFS.

This is how government is supposed to work, Greg. There is no
protection unless you have balance of power. In this case, a director
of an enforcement agency, DCF, (which is known in political science as
part of the Executive Branch) exposed sculldugery by another "agency,"
the county, which itself is part of the executive branch. Now THAT's
good government, Greg.

> Perhaps to people INSIDE the agencies or brown nosing them,
> but to most CITIZENS, it really STINKS that 8 pages were
> CENSORED from the report.

One, every citizen is, if he or she wishes to be, and "insider," Greg.
You and I have numerous ways to stay up to date on those parts of
government we have interests in. The only thing you can't find out,
for instance, about CPS is the progress of particular client
identified cases.

Every state has or should have, a legislative oversight committee or
panel that meets periodically but will take written communication at
any time. Do you know who to contact in your state? I do in mine.

Find out, ask them your questions when you have some, and make your
complaints to your legislative body that controls the operations of
those agencies you are interested in.

> I particularly like how they tried to do this quietly.

"They" were some "Attorneys for the county." If the material in
question was "on their desk" one does not hang over their shoulder
watching their work as it is underway. There simply isn't enough money
in the public treasury to staff such an operation.

Instead what happens is that when they are done and the work product
leaves their desk and goes back into the stream of "business of
government" BINGO, someone sees it and complains.

The "press" traditionally, and which we now call "The Media," is a
protected institution, by our constitution, for precisely this
purpose. To provide some of the watchdog functions of society.

We also have internal checks, usually, but not always, those at the
higher end of the chains of command, and in this case the director of
the involved agency who would NOT allow compromised information to
unexposed, even if it would bring problems to his agency.

What do you wish him to do, slit his wrists on your doorstep to prove
he's a thug of a government agent?

> It smells a bit like when prosecutors withhold EXCULPATORY
> INFORMATION.
> Tsk Tsk...

No prosecutors are involved. Nor is it a bit like your example. No
legal action, speaking judicially or in an enforcement sense, was
underway.

A report was tendered for county attornies to vet, apparently. They
are not "prosecutors," to my knowledge. Or of they were, they would
not have been working within the confines of their responsibilities.

The director of DCF CAUGHT THE ATTEMPT TO CONCEAL "EXCULPATORY
INFORMATION" and then what did he do, Greg?

Did he participate in a cover-up? Did he hide the attempt to hide
evidence against his own agency?
No, he did what we pay for and expect from our public servants, and
most of the time get. He carried on our business, society's business,
in an honorable manner.

He too is "Government" so when you say "Government corruption" you
are including him.
He was not corrupt. Quite the opposite.

The county attornies, and any officers or officials of the county that
participated, if they did, in the coverup...yes, I'd say they deserve
your blame.

> Perhaps to INSIDERS this sounds like a good idea,
> but Citizens are getting intolerant of such stuff.

What sounds like a good idea? Who supported this coverup, Greg? You
are hallucinating possibly?

> Agencies using tax money to promote themselves,
> "spin" issues and situations and getting caught
> censoring the damning or embarassing parts of a
> report that should be (by law in many states)
> PUBLIC will not go over well.

What agency used public money to promote or spin in this case, Greg?

I would presume it was the county, and possibly the attorneys acted on
their own. I cannot tell from the story. But to date we have only some
"attorneys" that appear culpable. It would be nice to know who is
actually involved before we claim all inclusive terms such as
"Government corruption."

Don't you think?

> Even the news media is going to have a tougher time
> glad handing such stuff because more and more people
> realize how the press is brown nosing government.

Well, this particular artice seemed to focus on the malfeasance of
county attorneys, so it hardly seems like they are covering up
anything. In fact, they ended with a note of insinuation about the
possibility of mishandling of DCF cases.

Not good enough for you? Should they have started building gallows?

> The press will have to balance the government brown nosing
> against the real prospect of destroying more of their credibility.

Please show where "The Press," in this instance were "brown nosing"
the government, or in any way destroying their own credibility?

I thought they did a pretty balanced job of it. They highlighted a
responsible official, " DFS Director Tom Morton believes this incident
hurt his credibility and, by extension, his department's. ***Attorneys
for the county, he says, decided without his input to censor those
eight pages,*** and now it's up to him to restore the public trust. To
do that, he must first ensure the safety of the children, " allowing
him to identify the miscreants, and went on to show what he was doing
to correct the situation that was the starting point for the unethical
behavior of the attorneys.

What would be required by you for this to be a more effective story by
the media?

Tell us about your dreams of overthrowing the government and replacing
them with you and your cronies, Greg. That seems to be the only thing
you'll accept.

You remind me of the nuts in the hills plotting the overthrow of the
government...themselves far more dangerous to society than the
government itself.

Try learning how to BE an "insider" Greg, and actually roll up your
sleeves and participate with some work.

Have you chosen a candidate to back, and hauled signs and put them on
lawns, gone door to door, or provided some lifting and hauling for a
candidate to make public his or her platform?

Have you gone to the legislature and given thoughtful testimony on an
issue confined TO that issue and not screaming and screeching all over
the map so no one is quite sure what you are saying except that you
are ranting like an anti government nutcase?

For an example of what NOT to do, by analogy, try reading this and
DON'T rant in this manner:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.support.child-protective-services/browse_thread/thread/e6e9b30309b3090a/f1b7be2d72cefa5b#f1b7be2d72cefa5b

The most that you'll inspire in society, the legislature, a court, the
public, is embarrassed pity.

Now deny you are an anti government anti authority nusto. Go ahead,
and I'll post some more of your drivel like the above.

Kane