PDA

View Full Version : Baby not kicking around as much today - what does that mean?

March 8th 07, 12:27 AM
My wife is due at the end of May. Normally she feels him kicking
around alot. For the past 24 hours, she says she doesn't feel him as
much. The doctors office said to call the stupid advice nurse first.
Which means who the hell knows if we'll get an answer back any time
soon. I'm too nervous to wait.

What can it mean if baby doesn't kick around as much? Please advise.

Ericka Kammerer
March 8th 07, 12:49 AM
wrote:
> My wife is due at the end of May. Normally she feels him kicking
> around alot. For the past 24 hours, she says she doesn't feel him as
> much. The doctors office said to call the stupid advice nurse first.
> Which means who the hell knows if we'll get an answer back any time
> soon. I'm too nervous to wait.
>
> What can it mean if baby doesn't kick around as much? Please advise.

He might just be tired, or running out of room.
It's not uncommon for there to be a little slowdown.
If she wants to monitor this, she could start doing kick
counts. There are probably as many ways to do those as
there are care providers, but generally the recommendation
is something like:

- pick a time of day the baby is usually active
- focus on the baby's movements
- time how long it takes to get 10 movements (even
small ones count)
- If it takes longer than two hours to get to 10
movements, wait a couple of hours and try again
(maybe go for a walk or drink some juice)
- If it still takes longer than two hours to get
10 movements, call your care provider.

Keep in mind that he's starting to get squeezed in
there. It's harder to make the more violent movements
and it's normal not to feel as many of those (although
some babies are little kickboxers and manage to keep
up the vicious jabs to the ribs and bladder).

Best wishes,
Ericka

March 8th 07, 12:56 AM
On Mar 7, 4:49 pm, Ericka Kammerer > wrote:
> wrote:
> > My wife is due at the end of May. Normally she feels him kicking
> > around alot. For the past 24 hours, she says she doesn't feel him as
> > much. The doctors office said to call the stupid advice nurse first.
> > Which means who the hell knows if we'll get an answer back any time
> > soon. I'm too nervous to wait.
>
> > What can it mean if baby doesn't kick around as much? Please advise.
>
> He might just be tired, or running out of room.
> It's not uncommon for there to be a little slowdown.
> If she wants to monitor this, she could start doing kick
> counts. There are probably as many ways to do those as
> there are care providers, but generally the recommendation
> is something like:
>
> - pick a time of day the baby is usually active
> - focus on the baby's movements
> - time how long it takes to get 10 movements (even
> small ones count)
> - If it takes longer than two hours to get to 10
> movements, wait a couple of hours and try again
> (maybe go for a walk or drink some juice)
> - If it still takes longer than two hours to get
> 10 movements, call your care provider.
>
> Keep in mind that he's starting to get squeezed in
> there. It's harder to make the more violent movements
> and it's normal not to feel as many of those (although
> some babies are little kickboxers and manage to keep
> up the vicious jabs to the ribs and bladder).
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Hi Ericka, thanks for the quick reply. I'm almost certain that she's
getting 10 or more kicks per hour if you include the smaller ones.
What freaks me out is he is usually pretty active and then all of a
sudden my wife told me he hasn't been kicking around like he use to
since yesterday even after she drinks juice. Does it mean something
could be wrong?

Ericka Kammerer
March 8th 07, 01:07 AM
wrote:

> Hi Ericka, thanks for the quick reply. I'm almost certain that she's
> getting 10 or more kicks per hour if you include the smaller ones.
> What freaks me out is he is usually pretty active and then all of a
> sudden my wife told me he hasn't been kicking around like he use to
> since yesterday even after she drinks juice. Does it mean something
> could be wrong?

Well, if there's a substantial deviation from usual,
it might not be a bad idea to call your care provider. That's
what nearly anyone would say as the cautious answer. However,
the overwhelming majority of the time it's just normal. Babies
go through the same activity swings and growth spurts and such
in the womb that they do outside. He might just be more squished
and in a growth spurt and therefore lowering his activity level.
I wouldn't stress out if the kick counts look ok. Keep track
of them for a while and see if there's a significant increase
in how long it takes to get 10 movements over the course of
several days (variation from day to day is normal).

Best wishes,
Ericka

March 8th 07, 05:23 AM
Ericka
Thank you for your help. Just got back from the hospital. Stress test
was done. Everything looked normal.

Anne Rogers
March 8th 07, 05:46 AM
> Thank you for your help. Just got back from the hospital. Stress test
> was done. Everything looked normal.

I hope you mean "non stress" test, a non stress test is when they hook you
up to a machine and just observe for about 20 mins, they may have you press
a button when the baby moves as well. A stress test is when they also give
you a dose of pitocin to cause the uterus to contract, it sometimes done to
see how a baby will cope with labour, to be honest, I don't think I've ever
come across it actually being done, just a theoretical this is what it is.

Anne

March 8th 07, 06:47 PM
On Mar 7, 9:46 pm, "Anne Rogers" > wrote:
> > Thank you for your help. Just got back from the hospital. Stress test
> > was done. Everything looked normal.
>
> I hope you mean "non stress" test, a non stress test is when they hook you
> up to a machine and just observe for about 20 mins, they may have you press
> a button when the baby moves as well. A stress test is when they also give
> you a dose of pitocin to cause the uterus to contract, it sometimes done to
> see how a baby will cope with labour, to be honest, I don't think I've ever
> come across it actually being done, just a theoretical this is what it is.
>
> Anne

Anne,
Sorry, yes non stress test. I was basically typing half asleep by the
time we got back.
Ericka, thank you for your help. You're always quick to respond.
Thanks!