PDA

View Full Version : Re: death of usenet?

Anne Rogers[_2_]
April 11th 07, 08:01 PM
> I've been on usenet for 14 years....
> I've watched it at it's prime...but it seems that lately there are
> virtually NO new postings...
> what's going on? Is this the end of usenet we're seeing?

something is happening, but it's not affecting all groups at the same rate,
more sensitive subjects are decaying faster, so whilst misc.kids has slowed
down, it's not died the same way m.k.p and m.k.b have. Apparently the
breastfeeding community on livejournal is very good.

In other groups, even one that I thought would never die has slowed down
dramatically, cam.misc. But two I'm part of are flourishing,
rec.sport.rowing and rec.crafts.textiles.quilting, I know at least for the
former there are several message boards, but they haven't really taken off
as a worldwide forum, though flourish on local levels, where at least some
people know each other in real life.

I think there is probably some kind of feeling of safety in a forum, even if
it's not moderated, as the forum can usually ban people and remove posts,
you don't get that on usenet.

But it's the usability that gets me, I like reading newsgroups the way I do,
anyway of doing that with forums is just as technical as newsgroup reading,
I'm thinking rss feeds.

I haven't seen anything about this in techy press, I wonder how slow and how
quiet the death will be.

Anne