PDA

View Full Version : Re: Kids Education

Mike Jones
July 9th 03, 10:37 PM
"Donna Metler" > wrote in message >...
> "Mike Jones" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm always thinking about my kids' education. I worry about how well
> > they are being taught, but I don't have the money for fancy private
> > schools. Then, I read and heard that it may be possible for me to have
> > a greater selection of schools for my kids than I now have. Does
> > anyone know much about this?
>
> In most large school districts, there are mechanisms which allow you to
> transfer your child to a school outside your local attendance area, if
> you're willing to transport them there. In addition, many school districts
> have optional or magnet schools which are open to all students in the city,
> but they have to meet the criteria. Depending on where you live, charter
> schools may also be an option.
>
> Finally, if your child attends a child considered to be "low performing",
> the district must allow you to transfer to another school or pay for after
> school tutoring.

After seeing information about vouchers in the news, and parents being
able to use vouchers to pick a school for their kids, I now wonder
whether I could use these special programs. Can't my kids have this
opportunity? So, I want to tell others who may be in the same spot
that I am that I'm going to look into how I can get vouchers for my
kids. There's a website that has a lot of good information about
options for parents like me and if you're interested, you should check
it out: www.iEdx.org.

Donna Metler
July 9th 03, 11:07 PM
"Mike Jones" > wrote in message
om...
> "Donna Metler" > wrote in message
> > "Mike Jones" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I'm always thinking about my kids' education. I worry about how well
> > > they are being taught, but I don't have the money for fancy private
> > > schools. Then, I read and heard that it may be possible for me to have
> > > a greater selection of schools for my kids than I now have. Does
> > > anyone know much about this?
> >
> > In most large school districts, there are mechanisms which allow you to
> > transfer your child to a school outside your local attendance area, if
> > you're willing to transport them there. In addition, many school
districts
> > have optional or magnet schools which are open to all students in the
city,
> > but they have to meet the criteria. Depending on where you live, charter
> > schools may also be an option.
> >
> > Finally, if your child attends a child considered to be "low
performing",
> > the district must allow you to transfer to another school or pay for
after
> > school tutoring.
>
> After seeing information about vouchers in the news, and parents being
> able to use vouchers to pick a school for their kids, I now wonder
> whether I could use these special programs. Can't my kids have this
> opportunity? So, I want to tell others who may be in the same spot
> that I am that I'm going to look into how I can get vouchers for my
> kids. There's a website that has a lot of good information about
> options for parents like me and if you're interested, you should check
> it out: www.iEdx.org.

None of these are voucher programs-rather these are choice programs within
the public system and are much more widely available than vouchers. School
choice doesn't mean just "give me money so I can send my child to a private
school"-and in most large cities, parents have quite a bit of choice within
the public sector, especially in areas where charter schools are allowed.

If you're in a small community, where there aren't public or charter
options, vouchers probably wouldn't help much, simply because there won't be
many private schools either.

P. Tierney
July 9th 03, 11:16 PM
"toto" > wrote in message
> On 9 Jul 2003 14:37:14 -0700, (Mike Jones) wrote:
>
> >There's a website that has a lot of good information about
> >options for parents like me and if you're interested, you should check
> >it out: www.iEdx.org.
>
> Spam, spam, spam... and an agenda too. You have posted this same
> message in lots of threads. I don't believe you are really a parent
> or that you want to do anything except promote hits to that website.

Yup, that explains why he essentially ended up answering his own
"question".

P.
Tierney