PDA

View Full Version : cafe name

Joni Rathbun
July 9th 03, 11:28 PM
Okay, off topic and a little weird... but there are lots of clever people
here so I thought I'd ask.

I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
For example, I saw a cafe called "Cup and Chaucer" once and thought
that was clever. Doubt most of our students would make the connection but
you get the idea.

A couple of other names on my list are:

Great Expectations

Table of Contents

_____

Anyway, I'm looking for more ideas! I've just been sitting here
starrrrrring at a blank page then wandering the web aimlessly with
nothing *smart* coming to mind.

Maybe a fresh mind will come up with something!

Thanks!

dragonlady
July 9th 03, 11:54 PM
In article
Joni Rathbun > wrote:

> Okay, off topic and a little weird... but there are lots of clever people
> here so I thought I'd ask.
>
> I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
> For example, I saw a cafe called "Cup and Chaucer" once and thought
> that was clever. Doubt most of our students would make the connection but
> you get the idea.
>
> A couple of other names on my list are:
>
> Great Expectations
>
> Table of Contents
>
> _____
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for more ideas! I've just been sitting here
> starrrrrring at a blank page then wandering the web aimlessly with
> nothing *smart* coming to mind.
>
> Maybe a fresh mind will come up with something!
>
> Thanks!

You could add some light classical music, and call it "Tea and Symphony"

Joni Rathbun
July 10th 03, 12:00 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, ==Daye== wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:28:45 -0700, Joni Rathbun
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> >in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
>
> What does the cafe sell? That would help with the naming.

Muffins from a local bakery. Juices. Water. Fruit and fruit cups.
Frappuccino. Coffee & tea (99% teacher sales on coffee & tea).
Hot chocolate and hot cider. Pickles! (They're popular.) Noodles.

This year the jazz band will occasionally play and we will have
open mic sessions for poetry.

We also have a distinct "southwest environment" in the main
part of the library (we're located in the Mojave Desert). We had
originally considered a sw theme for the cafe (e.g. Javelina Cantina :D).
But we've decided to try for a lit connection....

Shelly
July 10th 03, 12:48 AM
How about Chapters Cafe?

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
"dragonlady" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Joni Rathbun > wrote:
>
> > Okay, off topic and a little weird... but there are lots of clever
people
> > here so I thought I'd ask.
> >
> > I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> > in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
> > For example, I saw a cafe called "Cup and Chaucer" once and thought
> > that was clever. Doubt most of our students would make the connection
but
> > you get the idea.
> >
> > A couple of other names on my list are:
> >
> > Great Expectations
> >
> > Table of Contents
> >
> > _____
> >
> > Anyway, I'm looking for more ideas! I've just been sitting here
> > starrrrrring at a blank page then wandering the web aimlessly with
> > nothing *smart* coming to mind.
> >
> > Maybe a fresh mind will come up with something!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> You could add some light classical music, and call it "Tea and Symphony"
> --
> Children won't care how much you know until they know how much you care

H Schinske
July 10th 03, 12:52 AM
wrote:

>I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
>in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."

Are there any local authors whose names might work in?

--Helen

Jeff Utz
July 10th 03, 01:20 AM
Call it "Table of Contents" and then make the menu like the table of
contents for a book.

You can call it "Darwin's selection" (The was once a captain (Fitzroy) who
brought a companion along his little boat (called the "Beagle") who wrote a
few books on nature and natural selection after the trip, so he is a famous
author). Darwin also wrote a famous treatises on earthworms and coral reefs,
too.

You can call it "Tolkien's Tales" or "canaberry tales" and have the drinks
and food named after characters in Tolkiens or Chaucer's books. And serve
the foods that they ate in Bree or Caneberry, like cakes.

You could have it called the "Book of the month club" and have each class
come up with a new book to theme to cafe. The best theme gets a party with
the proceeds from the cafe for the year, or each class gets a party with the
proceeds from the cafe for the month. That way, each class has to do
something literary on their own.

All the best,

Jeff

July 10th 03, 02:32 AM
Joni Rathbun > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, ==Daye== wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:28:45 -0700, Joni Rathbun
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> > >in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
> >
> > What does the cafe sell? That would help with the naming.
>
> Muffins from a local bakery. Juices. Water. Fruit and fruit cups.
> Frappuccino. Coffee & tea (99% teacher sales on coffee & tea).
> Hot chocolate and hot cider. Pickles! (They're popular.) Noodles.
>
> This year the jazz band will occasionally play and we will have
> open mic sessions for poetry.
>
> We also have a distinct "southwest environment" in the main
> part of the library (we're located in the Mojave Desert). We had
> originally considered a sw theme for the cafe (e.g. Javelina Cantina :D).
> But we've decided to try for a lit connection....

Southwest? The Cacti Chronicles Cafe? One of our Library coffee shops here
is named: The Novel Café. (I always thought that quite clever.)
Good Luck,
Dennis

Joni Rathbun
July 10th 03, 02:47 AM
On 9 Jul 2003, H Schinske wrote:

> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> >in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
>
> Are there any local authors whose names might work in?

I'm still a bit new to the area but I don't think so. Well, Dean
Martin's son wrote a book! (This is Las Vegas.)

Mark Twain lived and wrote in the state for a while tho. I've
been digging thru some Twain stuff to see if I can come up with
something.

Tracey
July 10th 03, 02:48 AM
Joni Rathbun wrote:

> Okay, off topic and a little weird... but there are lots of clever people
> here so I thought I'd ask.
>
> I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."

Joni, why not get the students involved in this rather than you thinking it
up? Run a contest and pick 5 names, then have the students vote for their
favorite. Have some kind of a prize for the person who thinks of the
winning name. Give them the guidelines to use a literary related name and
then let them have at it.

Tracey in CT

Jeff Utz
July 10th 03, 03:43 AM
You mean, like "The Picket Fence?" With the names of the food and drink all
references to Huck Finn and Tommy Sawyer?

Laurie
July 10th 03, 04:52 AM
How about "Coffee in the Rye"

A play on my favorite HS book.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*
Joni Rathbun wrote in message ...

>On 9 Jul 2003, H Schinske wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
>> >in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
>>
>> Are there any local authors whose names might work in?
>>

>I'm still a bit new to the area but I don't think so. Well, Dean
>Martin's son wrote a book! (This is Las Vegas.)
>
>Mark Twain lived and wrote in the state for a while tho. I've
>been digging thru some Twain stuff to see if I can come up with
>something.

Rosalie B.
July 10th 03, 05:53 AM
x-no-archive:yes Joni Rathbun > wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, ==Daye== wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:28:45 -0700, Joni Rathbun
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
>> >in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
>>
>> What does the cafe sell? That would help with the naming.
>

>Muffins from a local bakery. Juices. Water. Fruit and fruit cups.
>Frappuccino. Coffee & tea (99% teacher sales on coffee & tea).
>Hot chocolate and hot cider. Pickles! (They're popular.) Noodles.
>
>This year the jazz band will occasionally play and we will have
>open mic sessions for poetry.
>
>We also have a distinct "southwest environment" in the main
>part of the library (we're located in the Mojave Desert). We had
>originally considered a sw theme for the cafe (e.g. Javelina Cantina :D).
>But we've decided to try for a lit connection....

The Canterbury Tables

Lord of the .?

Frappuccino and Juliet

All Quiet on the Library Front

Brave New (name of HS) Cafe

Of Muffins and Men

Rip Van Mojave

To Kill an Appetite

The Divine Snacketeria

grandma Rosalie

Leah Adezio
July 10th 03, 06:28 PM
"Joni Rathbun" > wrote in message

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, ==Daye== wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:28:45 -0700, Joni Rathbun
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> > >in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
> >
> > What does the cafe sell? That would help with the naming.
>

> Muffins from a local bakery. Juices. Water. Fruit and fruit cups.
> Frappuccino. Coffee & tea (99% teacher sales on coffee & tea).
> Hot chocolate and hot cider. Pickles! (They're popular.) Noodles.
>
> This year the jazz band will occasionally play and we will have
> open mic sessions for poetry.
>
> We also have a distinct "southwest environment" in the main
> part of the library (we're located in the Mojave Desert). We had
> originally considered a sw theme for the cafe (e.g. Javelina Cantina :D).
> But we've decided to try for a lit connection....

The Cauldron (after the witches 'brew' in 'Hamlet' <g>) ?

Hill o' Beans (with a little graphic of a steaming mug on stop of a hill
shaped stack of books)?

Perk-y Words?

Bon Mots and Mocha?

Leah
______
In Memory of David, 11/10/61 - 5/21/03
Beloved Husband, Father, Heart's Companion

July 10th 03, 09:47 PM
"Irish Marie" > wrote:
> "Joni Rathbun" > wrote in message
> >
> > Okay, off topic and a little weird... but there are lots of clever
> > people here so I thought I'd ask.
> >
> > I'm trying to come up with a new name for the little cafe we run
> > in our h.s. library. We want the name to have a "literary bent."
> > For example, I saw a cafe called "Cup and Chaucer" once and thought
> > that was clever. Doubt most of our students would make the connection
> > but you get the idea.
> >
> Bakes & Books or Books & Bakes
> Chew & Chapter or Chapter & Chew
> The Bookcase
> The Muffin, the coffee and the bookshop ( A play on the Lion, the witch
> and the wardrobe?!)
> The Coffee Index
>
> Sorry I'm not very creative.

Actually you are 'very' creative. All really good suggestions. Especially
"The Bookcase" If I was going to name a H.S. library I would readily
consider: The Index Cafe, (from your idea)

Dennis

H Schinske
July 10th 03, 11:38 PM
>> Actually you are 'very' creative. All really good suggestions.
>Especially
>> "The Bookcase"

"If I'd known you were coming, I'd have booked a cake"?

Cookie Bookie Nookie? No, that sounds as though they'd be groping each other at
the tables, like that teashop in the latest Harry Potter.

Bookery Bakery?

The Metaphor Cafe sounds nice, and people could say "Meet you at the Met." Dang
it, I just googled and there's a real one of those in Escondido, CA. Maybe Cafe
Trope. Iambic Cafe. Pentameter Cafe. Cafe Villanelle. But this is getting out
of most high school territory (they *do* still learn about iambic pentameter?
maybe not -- I remember having to sit through explanations of it in two or
three different college classes).

--Helen

July 12th 03, 07:03 PM
I love the book of the month club - so many directions you can take that!
Gets my vote twice :)
Edith