PDA

View Full Version : bedtime

steve
July 10th 03, 03:33 AM
I am havivg a hard time trying to get my kid to go to bed
she stays up till ten and she will not sleep in her own bed does any one
have any ideas help....Erin

P. Tierney
July 10th 03, 04:19 AM
"steve" > wrote in message
> I am havivg a hard time trying to get my kid to go to bed
> she stays up till ten and she will not sleep in her own bed does any one
> have any ideas help....Erin

In addition to the other questions asked, it would also help to
know why you consider it a problem. The above applies to my child,
though a 10:00 bedtime would be early for her, but it's no big deal
to me, as she gets enough overall sleep and does not disrupt our
lives. Nor is it a problem for her to sleep with us. How is it
giving your family troubles?

P.
Tierney

steve
July 11th 03, 12:11 AM
ashley is 3 years old now and has a pattern of needing someone there to fall
asleep ,if i evan sneek out of the room after she falls asleep she will
awaken
crying her eyes out ...i think this might be an issue with my daughter
allways in need of attention and cant be independant on her own and looking
for some suggestions to help her feel ok when she is alone would be greatly
appreciated...erin
"Naomi Pardue" > wrote in message
> >I am havivg a hard time trying to get my kid to go to bed
> >she stays up till ten and she will not sleep in her own bed does any one
> >have any ideas help.
>
> How old is she?
> Is she tired in the morning?
> Where does she sleep now?
> What kinds of things have you already tried?
> If she's young, is she still napping?
>
> More info would really help here....
>

> Naomi
> CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator
>
> (either remove spamblock or change address to to
e-mail
> reply.)

toto
July 11th 03, 12:56 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:11:56 -0400, "steve" >
wrote:

>ashley is 3 years old now and has a pattern of needing someone
>there to fall asleep ,if i evan sneek out of the room after she falls
>asleep she will awaken crying her eyes out ...i think this might be
>an issue with my daughter allways in need of attention and cant
>be independant on her own and looking for some suggestions to
>help her feel ok when she is alone would be greatly
>appreciated...erin

Does she play alone at times during the day?

Does she get a lot of positive attention from you during the day
as well?

Does she have a comfort item, like a blanket or a stuffed animal?

If you are lying down with her, perhaps you can change that to
sitting on the bed rubbing her back or something like this?

Also, you may be able to gradually get her used to your leaving
by talking about it and acting it out with her dolls during the day
time.

One of the things that always helped my children was singing to
them from a distance or talking to them from a distance when they
were in another room.

Mostly remember that she is *only* 3 and that she will grow out
of the need for your constant company. And think about the fact
that you sleep with your spouse, so you are not alone in bed
yourself, right?

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

blacksalt
July 11th 03, 01:34 AM
steve wrote:

> ashley is 3 years old now and has a pattern of needing someone there to fall
> asleep ,if i evan sneek out of the room after she falls asleep she will
> awaken
> crying her eyes out

Hey, I **remember** that phase at three. Papa would cuddle up to me and
we would whisper back and forth to each other about everything that was
in the room. I was afraid. It was fear. I remember lying in bed, trying
to be "good", mumbling a song over and over because every troll in my
room liked a different part. I had to have a light on, and I had to have
my big brave Daddy tell me he'd put every monster in place. They didn't
tell me "it was all in my mind". I could go to sleep after he left, but
it was very hard, and I felt like the most put apon little person in the
world. If I awoke at night, I was terrified and ran into my parents bed,
who, from fatigue, I bet, let me stay.
I had another setback at about age 4 when my GM died. I can only imagine
that someone told me she'd "gone to sleep" or that an animal had been
"put to sleep". At bedtime, I would suddenly remember that we all die,
and I would cry myself to sleep, and no one and nothing would help. I
was too "proud" to tell them I was afraid of death, and I still recall
Papa sitting next to me and asking repeatedly what the matter was, but
my lip remained zipped. I was distressed over my own mortality, but I
was also afraid of losing him, and his few gray hairs (he was 50 when I
was born) were very terrifying.
I would ask her if she's afraid of something.
blacksalt
whose Papa is 94 now