PDA

View Full Version : LeapPad/LeapFrog thoughts wanted

P. Tierney
July 10th 03, 08:02 AM
My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
I'd appreciate any input. They are in the areas of:

1. Should we buy a LeapPad "system" for our child?

My view: While it seems fine, regular reading to her also suffices.
Also, she often favors toys that are electronic (bells, whistles, noises,
lights) over more simple things, and I worry what kind of trend that
is setting for her long-term. It seems like the first step towards an
older child that sits and plays video games too much, with the same
lights, noises, etc. She does play imaginatively and she's active. And
while we can afford it, the long-term costs of such a thing, with the
extra books and such to buy, seem a tad high for the gains that one
might have.

Spouse's view: She already has a good vocabulary and she thinks that
this will help her build it even more. While she may not quite be ready
for it, we can still get it and she can get into it whenever she is ready.
It shouldn't stunt her imagination at all, but assist it, and electronic
items are just the way things are now (i.e., loud and flashy sit-and-spins
instead of the old kind). It'll also be good for trips, a few of which we
have coming up. Also, she has two smaller toys from that company,
given as gifts, and she likes them both.

2. If we buy, should we get My First LeapPad, or just the regular LeapPad?

My view: The regular LeapPad, going by comments on some of the websites
(for whatever they are worth) is said to be more durable and user-friendly.
The books on the "First" system are not secured and fall out when lifted up.
Also, the pens tend to fail a bit more often, it is said. It isn't much
cheaper,
isn't more travel-friendly, and is just a lesser version of the original.
(Note:
The store that we were at tonight didn't have a copy of the "First" pad, so
we couldn't hold/sample it, unlike the regular LeapPad.

Spouse's View: My First LeapPad will be good on travel, the books can
be secured with some work, and she could likely use it from the car seat.
The pens are easily manageable to her (as she has done on the MagnaDoodle),
and she's not as rough with her toys as some kids are, thus will be unlikely
to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the First item is more
appropriate to her age.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be offended.
Thanks. ;-)

P. Tierney

Denise
July 10th 03, 08:15 AM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
> My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
> LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
> I'd appreciate any input. They are in the areas of:
>
> 1. Should we buy a LeapPad "system" for our child?
>
> My view: While it seems fine, regular reading to her also suffices.
> Also, she often favors toys that are electronic (bells, whistles, noises,
> lights) over more simple things, and I worry what kind of trend that
> is setting for her long-term. It seems like the first step towards an
> older child that sits and plays video games too much, with the same
> lights, noises, etc. She does play imaginatively and she's active. And
> while we can afford it, the long-term costs of such a thing, with the
> extra books and such to buy, seem a tad high for the gains that one
> might have.
>
> Spouse's view: She already has a good vocabulary and she thinks that
> this will help her build it even more. While she may not quite be ready
> for it, we can still get it and she can get into it whenever she is ready.
> It shouldn't stunt her imagination at all, but assist it, and electronic
> items are just the way things are now (i.e., loud and flashy sit-and-spins
> instead of the old kind). It'll also be good for trips, a few of which we
> have coming up. Also, she has two smaller toys from that company,
> given as gifts, and she likes them both.

We have a LeapPad for my oldest daughter (4 1/2). She adores it. My middle
dd, who is developmentally delayed, also adores it. We've taken it on
several long car trips, most recently from Washington to California. Its
done pretty good, all things considered. The books haven't done so well my
middle dd, mostly because she is a very very rough child, but the actual
LeapPad has survived being thrown, launched, left outside at Grandma's
house, fought over.. etc.
I personally, wouldn't bother with the First Leap-thingy. I looked at it
when the two started fighting over the LeapPad, but I found that I liked the
way the LeapPad grew with the child. I can get books that are suitable for
the 3 year old, or books that are suitable for the almost-5year old. With
the First LeapPad, you're sort of stuck with the pre-reading books, from
what I could tell.
I've never had a problem with either of the girls spending too much time on
the LeapPad. I've never had to regulate how long they use it or anything.
Usually my oldest will go through one book and then put it away for a couple
days. It doesn't seem very video-gamey to me, mostly because there's not a
lot of mindless play you can do with it.
HTH,
Denise

thumper
July 10th 03, 12:07 PM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in message news:<1c8Pa.24540$N7.2778@sccrnsc03>...
> My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
> LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
> I'd appreciate any input. They are in the areas of:
>
> 1. Should we buy a LeapPad "system" for our child?

We have a LeapPad thing, and an almost 3yo boy, so I'll share our
experience. But bear in mind he's only had it a couple weeks, and
he's a little young based on LeapFrog's guideline (which says 4+).
Grandma bought it, and all the cousins have had one (ages 4-10) and
are said to enjoy them.

All that said, DS is totally uninterested in it, except to make it
make noise (it actually doesn't make lights). He has two books, one
came with it and the other is Winnie-the-Pooh-does-math or something.
He's asked me several times to read him that book, and has asked if I
wanted him to read the book to me, but really doesn't want to have the
thing read to him.

> My view: While it seems fine, regular reading to her also suffices.
> Also, she often favors toys that are electronic (bells, whistles, noises,
> lights) over more simple things, and I worry what kind of trend that
> is setting for her long-term. It seems like the first step towards an
> older child that sits and plays video games too much, with the same
> lights, noises, etc. She does play imaginatively and she's active. And
> while we can afford it, the long-term costs of such a thing, with the
> extra books and such to buy, seem a tad high for the gains that one
> might have.
>
> Spouse's view: She already has a good vocabulary and she thinks that
> this will help her build it even more. While she may not quite be ready
> for it, we can still get it and she can get into it whenever she is ready.
> It shouldn't stunt her imagination at all, but assist it, and electronic
> items are just the way things are now (i.e., loud and flashy sit-and-spins
> instead of the old kind). It'll also be good for trips, a few of which we
> have coming up. Also, she has two smaller toys from that company,
> given as gifts, and she likes them both.

I'm with you on this one. But these days finding children's toys that
*don't* make noise/lights is so hard (except for a few awesome stores
and on-line sites. ToysRUs, forgetaboutit!) So far, there's nothing
to be learned in the books we have that we don't already know or talk
about. We've played some of the games together (counting in this
case), but there's just nothing in it that we don't do with regular
books anyway. Maybe when he's older and wants to play with it on his
own it would be different, but then I think he'll be too old for it
anyway.

I'm not that interested in getting DS to learn to use a computer yet.
Still at 3yo, I want him to learn by exploring things with his hands
and mind, with or without me, not so much by pressing buttons.

Also, *I* can't always understand the words coming out of the LeapFrog
things (we also have a school bus with letters) so it's hard to
imagine DS is actually learning anything. He likes the bus because he
can press buttons and make music or sounds. OK, I admit it. He likes
to play the wheels on the bus song 5 million times in a row. And it's
a big yellow school bus, still a bit hit around here.

> 2. If we buy, should we get My First LeapPad, or just the regular LeapPad?
>
> My view: The regular LeapPad, going by comments on some of the websites
> (for whatever they are worth) is said to be more durable and user-friendly.
> The books on the "First" system are not secured and fall out when lifted up.
> Also, the pens tend to fail a bit more often, it is said. It isn't much
> cheaper,
> isn't more travel-friendly, and is just a lesser version of the original.
> (Note:
> The store that we were at tonight didn't have a copy of the "First" pad, so
> we couldn't hold/sample it, unlike the regular LeapPad.
>
> Spouse's View: My First LeapPad will be good on travel, the books can
> be secured with some work, and she could likely use it from the car seat.
> The pens are easily manageable to her (as she has done on the MagnaDoodle),
> and she's not as rough with her toys as some kids are, thus will be unlikely
> to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the First item is more
> appropriate to her age.

Look at the books available for each and decide. I noticed at Zany
Brainy the other day that the First LeapPad had some books with music
and activities that I thought DS might actually enjoy more than the
regular one he has. In anycase, since he's not all that interested in
it, by the time he *might* like it, those books would probably be way
too young for him.

The regular one is kind of big; DS can't really sit in a seat by
himself with it in his lap, as he'd have to for travel. Well I can't
imagine he'd use headphones either so we wouldn't take it on public
transportation, at least not as he currently uses it.

> Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
> beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
> I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
> If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be offended.
> Thanks. ;-)
>

> P. Tierney

So far, I wouldn't get one again. At least I didn't pay for it! Has
your DD tried it out in the store? Or at a friend's house? You might
see how interested she is and then decide.

Take care,
Lisa

Sue
July 10th 03, 01:50 PM
Wow, you guys are really overthinking this, imo.

I just bought the regular LeapPad. My girls have liked it, but they really
haven't shown that much interest in it. I just bought it because I thought
it was a cool thing and the girls could take turns using it and perhaps bone
up on the reading skills for my 6-year-old and maybe make math fun for my
oldest daughter. It's gone on a few trips with us and held up with my three.
I didn't even consider the First LeapPad, as my girls are much older than
your daughter. Books for the regular leap pad is nice because you can buy a
variety of books for it, so as your daughter grows you can buy more books.
But, I don't think the interest is really going to be there for a while. It
isn't like a Gameboy where you have to monitor its use. My girls are no
where near on it enough to even be worried about it. And I can't imagine one
toy being used so much by a baby that you will have to worry. They don't
really have the attention span to over use it. I wouldn't worry over her
imagination.
--
Sue
mom to three girls
P. Tierney > wrote in message
> [...]
so
> we couldn't hold/sample it, unlike the regular LeapPad.
>
> Spouse's View: My First LeapPad will be good on travel, the books can
> be secured with some work, and she could likely use it from the car seat.
> The pens are easily manageable to her (as she has done on the
MagnaDoodle),
> and she's not as rough with her toys as some kids are, thus will be
unlikely
> to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the First item is more
> appropriate to her age.
>

> Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
> beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
> I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
> If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be

Kari
July 10th 03, 02:32 PM
We have one for our kids and they both love it. We bought it for my daughter
Christmas of 2001 and it is still used quite a bit. My son, who is 4 now
uses it much more since my daughter can read very well and most of the books
are too easy for her. I plan on buying her a Quantum pad for this year as
I've been so impressed with the Leap Pad.

Mind you, I am not thrilled with light up, loud, electronic toys. In fact,
I've gotten rid of 99% of them but the leap pad, IMO is different. Both my
kids have learned all of their states with capitals, basic reading skills
like identifying words and whatnot and math skills like counting money and
telling time. Plus the stories are interesting enough and to keep them
occupied for 30 minutes in the car when I can't be reading to my son. Or we
do the leap pad together on the sofa while dinner is baking or something. I
would definately recommend it though!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

"P. Tierney" > wrote in message
> [...]
so
> we couldn't hold/sample it, unlike the regular LeapPad.
>
> Spouse's View: My First LeapPad will be good on travel, the books can
> be secured with some work, and she could likely use it from the car seat.
> The pens are easily manageable to her (as she has done on the
MagnaDoodle),
> and she's not as rough with her toys as some kids are, thus will be
unlikely
> to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the First item is more
> appropriate to her age.
>

> Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
> beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
> I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
> If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be

Donna Metler
July 10th 03, 04:31 PM
We have these at school, for our younger children to take home and use
there. They've held up quite well (and its very amusing to see a 5th or 6th
grader sit with a kindergartener in the cafeteria because the older child
wants to play with the leap pad)

Our children down to age 3 use the regular ones.

Don't assume it will teach your child to read (I don't think you are-but we
have some parents who think that this replaces them reading to their
child-same with the books on tape that we send home).

Get the leap-link, because it is much cheaper to download new materials than
to keep buying them. When you download and print a new book, take it to a
copy shop or teacher supply store and laminate it before giving it to your
child. Buy multiple reusable cartridges so you can have more than one
downloadable book, and save the downloaded file on your PC so you can
download it to the cartridge when the child decides, 6 months later, that
they want to do that book again!

P. Tierney
July 10th 03, 05:19 PM
"Nan" > wrote:

> Fwiw, I do tend to agree that not all toys need to be electronic, nor
> do they need to be touted as "educational", for that matter. And I
> tend to avoid electronic toys like the plague, in favor of the more
> traditional type.

How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this? I've tried to
do the same, but I still have two leapfrog products (gifts), a keyboard
(which I like), sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift, but
had no idea that it lights up and plays music), and a fair number of
other little gadgets, mostly as gifts. And at my in-law's, *everything*
makes tons of noise, all from toys that they bought at garage sales
and the like.

I've not avoided them to the same degree that I've avoided, for
example, violent toys. But I've tried to minimize them and have not
had a ton of success. Others?

(And I've not decided on the LeapThing yet, btw. I'm still hoping to
read some more messages, and perhaps look at the books, as someone
here suggested.)

P.
Tierney

dragonlady
July 10th 03, 05:31 PM
In article >,
"Cheryl M. \(ChatBrat\)" > wrote:

> "P. Tierney" > wrote in message

> > Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
> > beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
> > I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
> > If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be
> offended.
> > Thanks. ;-)
> >

> > P. Tierney
> >

> Personally, I wouldn't own one/will not own one for our daughter. I am very
> much against anything that replaces parent/child reading time. As for the
> imagination squelching debate, the jury is still out on that one.
>
> When it comes to reading, nothing beats a big arm chair and a cuddly
> kid/parent combo imo.
>
> theother Cheryl

You are assuming that the machine is always used to REPLACE parent/child
reading time. While some families might use it that way, I suspect most
use it as an additional activity.

After all, you wouldn't insist that they never read or look at a book
by themselves because parent/child reading time is important!

It's just a tool, capable of being used well.

meh

Denise
July 10th 03, 05:48 PM
"Nan" > wrote in message

> I honestly don't see how a LeapPad would "replace" parent/child
> reading time. If a parent still spends a good amount of time reading,
> the LeapPad is simply an additional tool, or toy.
>
> Nan

I agree. My daughter still gets a ton of parent/child reading time. The
LeapPad is just something she can do while I'm busy with her sisters or
making dinner or when she's craving alone time.

dragonlady
July 10th 03, 06:04 PM
In article <OmgPa.23122$OZ2.4100@rwcrnsc54>,
"P. Tierney" > wrote:

> "Nan" > wrote:
> >
> > Fwiw, I do tend to agree that not all toys need to be electronic, nor
> > do they need to be touted as "educational", for that matter. And I
> > tend to avoid electronic toys like the plague, in favor of the more
> > traditional type.
>
> How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this? I've tried to
> do the same, but I still have two leapfrog products (gifts), a keyboard
> (which I like), sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift, but
> had no idea that it lights up and plays music), and a fair number of
> other little gadgets, mostly as gifts. And at my in-law's, *everything*
> makes tons of noise, all from toys that they bought at garage sales
> and the like.
>
> I've not avoided them to the same degree that I've avoided, for
> example, violent toys. But I've tried to minimize them and have not
> had a ton of success. Others?
>
> (And I've not decided on the LeapThing yet, btw. I'm still hoping to
> read some more messages, and perhaps look at the books, as someone
> here suggested.)
>

> P.
> Tierney

Until my kids were close to their teens, I did pretty well. Sometimes,
I'd get frustrated to see some toy or game that I'd really liked that
had been "turned" electronic. I can remember a few Christmases being
delighted to realize that not one single gift required plugging in or
batteries!

On the other hand, there are some electronic things that I like and have
gone out of my way to get, mostly in the music category (stereos,
personal CD players) and some games (Simon Says). In fact, now, between
the portable CD players and the PDAs in the house, I find I have to keep
double and triple A batteries in the house.

meh

Bruce and Jeanne
July 10th 03, 06:18 PM
P. Tierney wrote:

> "Nan" > wrote:
> >
> > Fwiw, I do tend to agree that not all toys need to be electronic, nor
> > do they need to be touted as "educational", for that matter. And I
> > tend to avoid electronic toys like the plague, in favor of the more
> > traditional type.
>
> How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this? I've tried to
> do the same, but I still have two leapfrog products (gifts), a keyboard
> (which I like), sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift, but
> had no idea that it lights up and plays music), and a fair number of
> other little gadgets, mostly as gifts. And at my in-law's, *everything*
> makes tons of noise, all from toys that they bought at garage sales
> and the like.

We don't have any of the things you mentioned :) except this year we got
a keyboard (from my sister) to see if DD (5 yo) would like to play the
piano. I don't know what happened, but we almost never get electronic
toys. All aunts and uncles know we hate noisy toys and oddly enough they
and we seem to "not see" the electronic toys in the stores. It could be
that everyone is older so their children's toys predated the LeapPads
and such.

We have more traditional toys: blocks, a gazillion legos, paints, chalk,
markers, paper, play-doh, games like candyland. We got a lot of Barbies
until I asked for a cease and desist.

Jeanne

H Schinske
July 10th 03, 07:02 PM
wrote:

> My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
>LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
>I'd appreciate any input.

My son (four) has one (the My First LeapPad, I think, possibly an older
version, it has no separate books) that we got secondhand. We get it out now
and then and usually he ends up banging on it to make it quack "THAT'S the,
THAT's the, THAT's the" over and over, and it goes back in the basement.

I can't see that it's taught him a darned thing except a new way to annoy Mama.
(He doesn't have any other toys with batteries. I have an unusually low
tolerance for that kind of noise. Having it in the back of the car on a trip
would be my idea of utter hell.)

He *has* sat there and typed in words (there is a thing where you put in three
letters and it tells you if you made a word), but he tends to do the same ones
over and over. BUS BUS BUS and that kind of thing. The only way it's built
vocabulary is that his older sisters sit around thinking of unusual
three-letter words that it doesn't recognize. ("A, S, P, ah, ss, puh. You made
a cool sound!")

There isn't any clever programming to tell you if you added instead of
subtracting, or anything like that, it just tells you to try again.

Basically, in our case it doesn't work as a "keep child quiet in a non-annoying
fashion" item, nor does it work to teach the child anything.

--Helen

H Schinske
July 10th 03, 07:04 PM
wrote:

>sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift, but
>had no idea that it lights up and plays music)

The older ones don't. I had no idea that the new ones did, either.

--Helen

toto
July 10th 03, 07:14 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:19:58 GMT, "P. Tierney"
> wrote:

> How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this? I've tried to
>do the same, but I still have two leapfrog products (gifts), a keyboard
>(which I like), sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift, but
>had no idea that it lights up and plays music), and a fair number of
>other little gadgets, mostly as gifts. And at my in-law's, *everything*
>makes tons of noise, all from toys that they bought at garage sales
>and the like.

i buy at garage sales, but I look for the older versions of toys I
really liked. The older versions of many toys I really like
don't have batteries. The sit and spins sure didn't. I much
prefer legos, blocks, dolls that are for cuddling, stuffed animals
without any noises.

My granddaughter does have lots of these battery toys already
though because many others buy them for her. I wouldn't, but
my dil likes them just fine.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

July 10th 03, 07:32 PM
"P. Tierney" > wrote:
> My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
> LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
> I'd appreciate any input. They are in the areas of:
>
> 1. Should we buy a LeapPad "system" for our child?
>
> My view: While it seems fine, regular reading to her also suffices.
> Also, she often favors toys that are electronic (bells, whistles, noises,
> lights) over more simple things, and I worry what kind of trend that
> is setting for her long-term. It seems like the first step towards an
> older child that sits and plays video games too much, with the same
> lights, noises, etc. She does play imaginatively and she's active. And
> while we can afford it, the long-term costs of such a thing, with the
> extra books and such to buy, seem a tad high for the gains that one
> might have.
>
> Spouse's view: She already has a good vocabulary and she thinks that
> this will help her build it even more. While she may not quite be ready
> for it, we can still get it and she can get into it whenever she is
> ready. It shouldn't stunt her imagination at all, but assist it, and
> electronic items are just the way things are now (i.e., loud and flashy
> sit-and-spins instead of the old kind). It'll also be good for trips, a
> few of which we have coming up. Also, she has two smaller toys from that
> company, given as gifts, and she likes them both.
>
> 2. If we buy, should we get My First LeapPad, or just the regular
> LeapPad?
>
> My view: The regular LeapPad, going by comments on some of the websites
> (for whatever they are worth) is said to be more durable and
> user-friendly. The books on the "First" system are not secured and fall
> out when lifted up. Also, the pens tend to fail a bit more often, it is
> said. It isn't much cheaper,
> isn't more travel-friendly, and is just a lesser version of the original.
> (Note:
> The store that we were at tonight didn't have a copy of the "First" pad,
> so we couldn't hold/sample it, unlike the regular LeapPad.
>
> Spouse's View: My First LeapPad will be good on travel, the books can
> be secured with some work, and she could likely use it from the car seat.
> The pens are easily manageable to her (as she has done on the
> MagnaDoodle), and she's not as rough with her toys as some kids are, thus
> will be unlikely to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the
> First item is more appropriate to her age.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about these
> beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
> I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
> If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be
> offended. Thanks. ;-)
>
> P. Tierney

I don't think you are "way off" nor your spouse either. Purchasing any
toy can be a risky investment, but moreso the 'electronics'. (one of my
big favorites is Vtech's "Fish and Count" that we got for Kaler when he
was three. It was such a big hit at his preschool 'show and tell' that
other parents (and teacher) were asking where they could purchase one. We
purchased the first "frog thing" (phonic's read and write desk) shortly
after, and it now is ready for garage sale as opposed to the Fish and
Count which is still being used. At almost six y.o. now, we got him first
LeapPad (#3) about a year and half ago. Wife and I are satisfied with it
as it is durable, (we haven't had to replace the batteries yet) he uses
it alot. There is a great selection of books (a tad expensive imo) It is
good for trips and especially as a 'rainy day toy' and for social
interaction. (When his friends come over it is one of first toys that
they all play with. Also when Gram and Gramp or other (Elderly) family
comes over,he likes to show it off and his skill to them. They tend to
understand it much more than his PC. (which of course isn't portable).
The "magnadoodle" and "Etch a Sketch" are still popular as are his toy
soldiers, etc. I don't think a parent would regret the purchase of any
LeapPad sysem for their child, as someone else said, "it's a good tool."
You know what they say about the right tool for the right job. Hope this
helps. Dennis

July 10th 03, 07:54 PM
(H Schinske) wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > My spouse and I have two areas of disagreement on the
> >LeapPad/Frog/Thing.
> >I'd appreciate any input.
>
> My son (four) has one (the My First LeapPad, I think, possibly an older
> version, it has no separate books) that we got secondhand. We get it out
> now and then and usually he ends up banging on it to make it quack
> "THAT'S the, THAT's the, THAT's the" over and over, and it goes back in
> the basement.
>
> I can't see that it's taught him a darned thing except a new way to annoy
> Mama. (He doesn't have any other toys with batteries. I have an unusually
> low tolerance for that kind of noise. Having it in the back of the car on
> a trip would be my idea of utter hell.)

The LeapPad learning System does has jack's for headphones, (I bought them
because he likes to be cool) and they do come in handy at times. But, I
prefer the interaction and conversation over the Pinball Wizard Scenario.
If one really wants to put an end to backseat noise. I've found that a
purchase of CD's or cassettes of the music that children really like (I'd
recommend anything by: "Kidzup" (www.kidzup.com) very educational and
quite an upbeat (boogie-woogie, country and lite rock) to the traditional
songs we were brought up with. Hey, they are snappy but you might end up
with "Three little Fishies" going through your head for some time after
the trip. ( : Usually though with a little imagination you can make those
long trips quite pleasurable and the kidlets can learn at the same time.
Dennis

> He *has* sat there and typed in words (there is a thing where you put in
> three letters and it tells you if you made a word), but he tends to do
> the same ones over and over. BUS BUS BUS and that kind of thing. The only
> way it's built vocabulary is that his older sisters sit around thinking
> of unusual three-letter words that it doesn't recognize. ("A, S, P, ah,
> ss, puh. You made a cool sound!")
>
> There isn't any clever programming to tell you if you added instead of
> subtracting, or anything like that, it just tells you to try again.
>
> Basically, in our case it doesn't work as a "keep child quiet in a
> non-annoying fashion" item, nor does it work to teach the child anything.
>
> --Helen

==Daye==
July 10th 03, 11:36 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:02:21 GMT, "P. Tierney"
> wrote:

> Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.?

Well, anything with batteries is an almost automatic no with me.
I hate them! We have only both DD 2 things that require
batteries -- a keyboard and an Elmo. She has others, but they
were given to her, and I don't like them.

Don't know if that helps, but I wouldn't buy it for my DD.

--
==Daye==
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

==Daye==
July 10th 03, 11:53 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:19:58 GMT, "P. Tierney"
> wrote:

> How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this?

We only allow a small number of electronic toys in the house.
Mostly they are hand-me-down toys (about 4 total). The family
*knows* not to buy toys with batteries.

We allowed the hand-me-down battery toys into the house.
Frankly, we could have said, "No, thank you," but we didn't.

--
==Daye==
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Cheryl M. \(ChatBrat\)
July 11th 03, 03:11 PM
Let me clarify my personal position on the whole LeapFrog thing -

I'd like to see my children enjoy books for their own sake, minus all the
electronic bells and whistles. My comment was intended, not to offend
anyone who may find such devices useful, but to explain my own feeling on
the matter. I do not want my daughter playing with such products on a
regular basis - either supervised or unsupervised.

To each their own.

theother Cheryl

"Cheryl M. (ChatBrat)" > wrote in message

> [...]
> unlikely
> > to cause harm to the thing. She's younger, and the First item is more
> > appropriate to her age.
> >

> > Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.? I know little about
these
> > beyond reading some reviews and seeing them briefly in the stores.
> > I was hoping to get some input from those who are more experienced.
> > If I'm way off, in your view, go ahead and say it, and I won't be
> offended.
> > Thanks. ;-)
> >

> > P. Tierney
> >

> Personally, I wouldn't own one/will not own one for our daughter. I am
very
> much against anything that replaces parent/child reading time. As for the
> imagination squelching debate, the jury is still out on that one.
>
> When it comes to reading, nothing beats a big arm chair and a cuddly

H Schinske
July 11th 03, 05:31 PM
wrote:

>Honestly though, I just buy toys that are cool and what I think
>they would have liked when they were smaller. I didn't worry that it wasn't
>educational or whatever. Everything that goes on in a babies life is
>educational.

I've got to agree to that. It just really bugs me when a toy with stated
educational aims doesn't in fact do those things AND it isn't that much fun.

--Helen

Astromum
July 11th 03, 06:48 PM
P. Tierney wrote:
> I've not avoided them to the same degree that I've avoided, for
> example, violent toys. But I've tried to minimize them and have not
> had a ton of success. Others?

Since I have no clue what LeapPad is, I skipped the thread, until
I noticed this interesting discussion inside. Before I became a parent,
my opinion on electronic toys was that they are all a bunch of noisy
and useless gadgets, not in the least educational.

Although I have changed it somewhat to the positive, as I have found
that some electronic toys can be fun and educational, I still find
many of them way too noisy. Except for the blinking lights on some,
DS does not show an increased interest in them either. He does however
very much like to play with the everyday things we use, like empty
bottles, cookie jars, plastic cups, etc. Although spoons, pots and pans
can also be very noisy :-\ I find it better to stand.

So far we have managed to avoid electronic toys, even as gifts. Friends
and family either know or share our opinion and try to find alternatives.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

P. Tierney
July 11th 03, 07:18 PM
"Astromum" > wrote:

> Although I have changed it somewhat to the positive, as I have found
> that some electronic toys can be fun and educational, I still find
> many of them way too noisy.

And it's fairly uncommon for them to have any sort of volume
control. 20%, I'd guess.

P. Tierney

Astromum
July 11th 03, 07:42 PM
P. Tierney wrote:
> "Astromum" > wrote:
>
>>Although I have changed it somewhat to the positive, as I have found
>>that some electronic toys can be fun and educational, I still find
>>many of them way too noisy.
>

> And it's fairly uncommon for them to have any sort of volume
> control. 20%, I'd guess.

And if they do, it is a switch that lets you choose
between very loud and extremely loud... ;)

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)
TTC #2
"What's the use of brains if you are a girl?"
Aletta Jacobs, first Dutch woman to receive a PhD

Sue
July 11th 03, 08:12 PM
I don't get too worked up over the electronic toy thing. The girls had one
or two electronic things when they were toddlers. One electronic thing was
really cool, it had the ABC's and numbers and spoke the sounds of the
letters. I don't usually buy any electronic toys and it seems that my family
doesn't buy them either, so we haven't had too much trouble with it. Some
toys have batteries and some we have taken them out if it becomes to
annoying. Honestly though, I just buy toys that are cool and what I think

P. Tierney > wrote in message
> "Nan" > wrote:
> >
> > Fwiw, I do tend to agree that not all toys need to be electronic, nor
> > do they need to be touted as "educational", for that matter. And I
> > tend to avoid electronic toys like the plague, in favor of the more
> > traditional type.
>
> How successful are you (or anyone else?) at doing this? I've tried to
> do the same, but I still have two leapfrog products (gifts), a keyboard
> (which I like), sit and spin (which I asked for and received as a gift,
but
> had no idea that it lights up and plays music), and a fair number of
> other little gadgets, mostly as gifts. And at my in-law's, *everything*
> makes tons of noise, all from toys that they bought at garage sales
> and the like.
>
> I've not avoided them to the same degree that I've avoided, for
> example, violent toys. But I've tried to minimize them and have not
> had a ton of success. Others?
>
> (And I've not decided on the LeapThing yet, btw. I'm still hoping to
> read some more messages, and perhaps look at the books, as someone
> here suggested.)
>

> P.
> Tierney

July 11th 03, 08:31 PM
Astromum > wrote:
> P. Tierney wrote:
> > "Astromum" > wrote:
> >
> >>Although I have changed it somewhat to the positive, as I have found
> >>that some electronic toys can be fun and educational, I still find
> >>many of them way too noisy.
> >

> > And it's fairly uncommon for them to have any sort of volume
> > control. 20%, I'd guess.
> >

> And if they do, it is a switch that lets you choose
> between very loud and extremely loud... ;)

Lol, that's funny. Once, there was a little red fire truck, that he saw at
a yard sale, the lady gave it to him. It had flashing lights, bells and
whistles (I knew why they were getting rid of it:) A couple days later our
very gentle Belgian Tervuren begins holwing at 3:00 a.m. I could hear
sirens and bells, from what seemed far away. It didn't go away, so I went
out to see, and have a talk with the dog. Anyway, it had rained during the
night, and the new truck had been left out in the sandbox. The rain must
have caused the switch to activate, and it wouldn't shut off and the dog
wouldn't either. So I brought it into kitchen, this woke everyone else up.
I tried to remove the batteries, but there was a set screw down the deepest
and most narrow hole possibly imaginable. There was not a tool in all the
house that would fit down that hole. I ended up taking it down to rec. room
and covering it up with everything I could find. My wife was bit perturbed
and son thought it was hilarious, but the dog was quiet again. We went back
to bed, but I could still hear it, or at least imagined I could. The next
day I made a special trip to store to buy some really narrow long
screwdrivers. The batteries by then were wore down, but I removed them
anyway to prevent corrosion. At least something good did come of this, a
few days later he was playing with the new truck in his sandbox,
improvising and making his own siren like noises. It didn't bother dog at
all. Has this ever happened to anyone else, having water problems with toys
or a hard time removing or replacing batteries?
Dennis

llama mama
July 12th 03, 02:16 PM
wrote in
:

> (AGreen1209) wrote:
>> Our son (3 years old) got a LeapPad for Christmas. He has yet to
>> even use it, if ever. I have heard some children like it when they
>> start learning to read, but it isn't anything I would have bought
>> him. I'm not really sold on all these electronic "educational" toys,
>> anyway. I think toys that require imagination are more educational
>> than those electronic gadgets.
>>
>> Amanda
>
> Hi Amanda,
> I think three may be a bit young for Leap Pad. Of course you
> two could use it together, to help with basic phonics and word
> association and variety together time. Or consider removing the
> batteries and putting it in storage awhile.

it depends on the kid. my son has had a Leap Pad since he was 2.25 & we
bought it because every time we were in a store that had one since he was
a year old, he'd gravitate to it & spend 15 minutes playing with it. most
of his books are level one since the pre-k ones don't appeal to him as
much. it's good to amuse him while i'm cooking dinner or when we go on
long car trips (i admit i have an extremely high tolerance for 'noise'.
i'd really rather hear him playing the Thomas the tank engine Leap Pad
book over & over than hear hours of "let me out! let me out!", since he
hates his carseat). it gets played with in fits & starts at home. i don't
expect it to really *be* "educational" either. it's just another toy he
likes, just one that can grow along with him for a bit. and just like any
other toy, your kid's mileage may vary.
in general, i find Boo prefers toys that allow him to play out what we
do around the farm... we have more 1:64 scale tractors & implements
underfoot... plus i have to explain what he's talking about to his speech
therapist, since she can't tell how his pronunciation is going when she
doesn't know the words he uses. it's kind of funny.
for those who dislike electronic toys, try finding a teacher's supply
store or
http://www.hearthsong.com/
has lots of great stuff. i also like Rosie Hippo and Magic Cabin Dolls.
http://www.rosiehippo.com/home.asp
http://www.magiccabindolls.com/

lee <wooden toys are durable!>
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital

llama mama
July 12th 03, 02:23 PM
"P. Tierney" > wrote in news:wbDPa.34416
$GL4.8687@rwcrnsc53:

> "Astromum" > wrote:
>>
>> Although I have changed it somewhat to the positive, as I have found
>> that some electronic toys can be fun and educational, I still find
>> many of them way too noisy.
>
> And it's fairly uncommon for them to have any sort of volume
> control. 20%, I'd guess.

lee's hint for the day: tape! place tape over the speaker to lower the
volume on electronic toys. any type of tape will do, i use regular Scotch
tape. more layers = lower volume. you may have to open some toys to get
at the speaker though.

lee <the Boo *hates* loud anything>