PDA

View Full Version : Young Kids and Karate

Liz
July 11th 03, 09:22 PM
Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc. Does anyone have experience
with karate for siblings in this age group or suggestions for
something else. Thanks.

Kari
July 11th 03, 09:36 PM
Not Karate but both my kids take Kuk Sool Won which is a Korean martial art.
They both love it, are learning a lot of discipline, self control and
respect. Not too much "fighting" at all, mostly self defense techniques and
such. Both kids take it together though my oldest should be in the higher
class but isn't yet because it interferes with her dance classes. I would
totally recommend it, they have learned SO much and I think its an
invaluable skill to have, you just never know what can happen these days!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

<Liz> wrote in message ...
> Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
> for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
> youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
> don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
> out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc. Does anyone have experience
> with karate for siblings in this age group or suggestions for
> something else. Thanks.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

jojo
July 11th 03, 09:40 PM
I used to teach martial arts to children.
Anyone under five is just too dang young.
Some 5 and 6 year olds are to immature.
Wait till they are 5-8 for martial arts, they will all get a lot more out of
it.

Yes, they will practice their karate on each other, the furniture, you, the
dog and
any neighbor kid. It is the nature of children.
Your goal is to find a school that teaches responsibility, and then hope
your kid "get it".

good luck,
jojo

<Liz> wrote in message ...
> Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
> for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
> youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
> don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
> out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc. Does anyone have experience
> with karate for siblings in this age group or suggestions for
> something else. Thanks.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Beth Kevles
July 11th 03, 10:58 PM
Hi -

My kids both take tae kwon do. Both started at 4 1/2 (2 years apart).
We have many TKD friends whose children started at the same time as each
other. My thoughts are:

First, don't commit to a particular martial art. Instead, commit to a
particular GOOD teacher. You want one who really pushes the aspects of
self-control and responsibility, courtesy, etc. You do NOT want one who
has the kids compete against each other, even a little. (No "your
brother is doing 10 pushups, so can you" kind of stuff.) Because
martial arts are inherently competetive, so the teacher should be
downplaying that aspect.

Make a rule that you NEVER use any martial arts techniques, not even in
play, outside of the studio. NO PRACTICING at home (until they're older
and you feel competent to supervise.)

It's great to make martial arts a family affair. If your studio offer
classes for adults and kids together, you win. I take an adult class,
the kids take kids classes, and sometimes we take family classes
together. (At our studio you pay a flat monthly fee for as many classes
as you want to take.)

But there are other activities your kids can do together. Mine loved a
local arts and crafts class that they did together. THey did it at ages
3 and 5, respectively. They also both play violin (since age 3, Suzuki
method) and enjoy playing together. I thought contra dancing would go
over well, but it turns out that one of my kids loves folk dancing (all
kinds) and the other doesn't. So it goes.

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles

H Schinske
July 11th 03, 11:17 PM
>Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
>for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
>youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
>don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
>out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc.

What about aikido? It is supposed to be a less competitive martial art. I
should think a 3-year-old would be too young anyway, though.

Yoga for kids would be my next recommendation, or maybe gymnastics.

--Helen

ºFree~Spiritº
July 11th 03, 11:18 PM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:22:45 GMT, Liz wrotc:

>Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
>for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
>youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
>don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
>out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc. Does anyone have experience
>with karate for siblings in this age group or suggestions for
>something else. Thanks.

3 might be a bit too young DD started at 4.5. It is unlikely that they will do a
lot of it together unless you got a real advanced 3 yo and a very slow 6yo (like
me).

You usually in martial arts have the little kids programs which start - well at
an age where the child can seperate from mom for an hour and is mature enough to
listen to the teacher and follow instructions for an hour.

Next age group is from about 7 to 10 then 10 to 13 - then teen and then adult (
some teens make Karate adults as young as 14 or 15 depending on body build and
physical capabilities.

So most likely your older one is just about going to slip into the next age
group when the younger one moves up.

Martial arts if tought well will teach primarily self discipline, self defense
and usually leads to less fighting rather than more. Emphasis is to defend
oneself when attacked and then get away from the trouble zone and not to
obliterate anything and everything in the neighborhood. It's not Rambo school.

How do you pick a school?

Watch some lessons talk to parents and kids taking part in the program. Stay
away from schools doing a "hard sell" and schools that make you sign contracts
(some require even multi year contracts.). Attitude is very important.

We have 2 schools in our town which are pretty much of opposing ends of the
spectrum. Our dojo lets you try for a month for free (you do have to buy a
Karate suit though which is 19.95 and has the school logo on it). Then you
continue to pay on an as you go basis (monthly).

The other dojo will give your child 3 free lessons where one of there black
belts will do about 20 minutes with your child by him/herself then your child
will get marched from the side room where the lesson took place in front of the
whole class and be introduced to them as a future member and the black belt will
tell everyone how great your child was doing in the private lesson and how much
of an asset he/she will be. Meanwhile you see that through a glass wall with the
owner at your side pen in hand asking you if you sign up for a 2 or 3 year
contract. Go say no then with your child beaming in front of a whole class. Once
you signed you got to pay for the next 3 years if your kid likes it or not goes
there or not as long as your child does not become wheel chair bound or you move
more that 75 miles away - you pay.

So find out first before you take your child. My daughter loves it and will
probably be doing it for a long long time - my son did not like it - with the
other school I would still be paying ....

Especially at an early age - get to know the teacher and see how good he/she is
with little kids. Especially under 7.

Well I think that does it in short - above holds true for pretty much any
martial arts. IF you got questions please feel free to ask

Father of a daughter aged 7 who just made up her mind to shoot for the 2008
olympics in karate <g>

>-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Free Spirit
DD(7) DS(10)

ºFree~Spiritº
July 11th 03, 11:25 PM
On 11 Jul 2003 21:58:41 GMT, (Beth Kevles) wrotc:

>Hi -
>
>My kids both take tae kwon do. Both started at 4 1/2 (2 years apart).
>We have many TKD friends whose children started at the same time as each
>other. My thoughts are:
>
>First, don't commit to a particular martial art. Instead, commit to a
>particular GOOD teacher. You want one who really pushes the aspects of
>self-control and responsibility, courtesy, etc. You do NOT want one who
>has the kids compete against each other, even a little. (No "your
>brother is doing 10 pushups, so can you" kind of stuff.) Because
>martial arts are inherently competetive, so the teacher should be
>downplaying that aspect.
>
>Make a rule that you NEVER use any martial arts techniques, not even in
>play, outside of the studio. NO PRACTICING at home (until they're older
>and you feel competent to supervise.)
>
>It's great to make martial arts a family affair. If your studio offer
>classes for adults and kids together, you win. I take an adult class,
>the kids take kids classes, and sometimes we take family classes
>together. (At our studio you pay a flat monthly fee for as many classes
>as you want to take.)

Same here and we got a "mixed" class every week. Then DD and me can really see
who is doing them Katas better <g>

>But there are other activities your kids can do together. Mine loved a
>local arts and crafts class that they did together. THey did it at ages
>3 and 5, respectively. They also both play violin (since age 3, Suzuki
>method) and enjoy playing together. I thought contra dancing would go
>over well, but it turns out that one of my kids loves folk dancing (all
>kinds) and the other doesn't. So it goes.
>
>I hope these thoughts help,
>--Beth Kevles
>
> http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the milk-allergic
> Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
> advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.

Free Spirit
DD(7) DS(10)

Noreen Cooper
July 12th 03, 02:28 AM
Noreen Cooper > wrote:
: Liz wrote:

: : Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
: : for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
: : youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
: : don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
: : out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc. Does anyone have experience
: : with karate for siblings in this age group or suggestions for
: : something else. Thanks.

: My 8yo son has been taking karate for 3 years, started when he was 5yo.
: He is currently studying the traditional Japanese form of karate through
: the Shotokan School of Karate (http://www.shotokankarate.org/). His

Wrong URL. Here are the lists of US schools affiliated with the ISKF, the
International Shotokan Karate Federation league where my son studies
karate:

http://www.iskf.com/clubindex/usa.htm#ISKF%20Clubs%20-%20USA

Noreen

kereru
July 12th 03, 03:05 AM
<Liz> wrote in message ...
> Now that the kids are between ages 3 and 6 - I thought it might be fun
> for them to try an 'activity' together. I thought swimming but the
> youngest doesn't seem interested yet. Then I thought karate but I
> don't know if this is something that is going to lead to excessive
> out-of-hand wrestling, 'fighting', etc. Does anyone have experience
> with karate for siblings in this age group or suggestions for
> something else. Thanks.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

I went to school with a bunch of guys who were serious about Tae Kwan Do
(Korean martial art). They learn all sort of things not just fighting and
even the fighting is highly controlled and people really don't get hurt that
often. I think it's a good outlet for kids energy, I'd definitely send my
little boy to do a martial art when he is bigger.

Judy