PDA

View Full Version : my friday night in the hospital

Denise Anderson
June 5th 04, 05:08 PM
Yesterday I was having horrible back pain and period like cramps with some
irregular contractions thrown into the mix. So when my neighbor got home
she decided to take me to L&D triage (could we get a TV, please??) My urine
sample had protein, ketones and blood apparently. Eventually I got an
ultrasound to rule out kidney stones and to check baby and everything looked
fine. And a shot of crack (Terbutaline).. but now the doctor on call is
saying he thinks I passed a kidney stone and that's why there was blood and
stuff in my urine. Everyone I've ever known who has had kidney stones has
been in excruciating pain, and while my back pain was bad, I wouldn't call
it excruciating by any means. Is it really possible that I passed a kidney
stone without the horrible pain associated with it?

Jodi
June 5th 04, 05:28 PM
>Is it really possible that I passed a kidney
> stone without the horrible pain associated with it?

I think it depends entirely on the size of the stone. I had one a couple
years ago, and at first I mistook it for menstrual pain. I think it is
possible to not have the horrible pain, as long as the stone is small
enough.

As it turned out for me, I ended up taking myself to the hospital because I
didn't know why I could have been hurting so much. It got so bad that once
the ER doc was *finally* able to get around to getting me some pain medicine
I told her I loved her. They told me at the cat scan that the stone was
about 3 mm. I guess, much bigger than that and they have to use an
ultrasound technique to break it up.

I'm glad everything turned out okay for you.

--Jodi