PDA

View Full Version : I ain't no Semmelweis, but...

Todd Gastaldo
June 8th 04, 11:31 PM
I AIN'T NO SEMMELWEIS (I know, I know - I can say *that* again - LOL!)

BUT PREGNANT WOMEN: It's EASY to allow your birth canal to open an "extra"
up to 30%.

For simple instructions, see the very end of this post...

Danielle, will you please forward this to Prof. Moyses Paciornik?

"...TERRIFYING OBSTETRIC COMPLICATION"

"Five cases of catastrophic shoulder dystocia are analyzed to determine
optimal management when confronted with this terrifying obstetric
complication."
--Herbert F. Sandmire, MD ) [Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004
May;85(2):190-4.
PubMed Abstract]

(SHERWIN NULAND, MD of Yale: Herbert Sandmire - just quoted - doesn't
mention in his abstract that OBs and CNMwives are closing birth canals up to
30% and *keeping* birth canals closed when babies' shoulders get stuck.
More on this below.)

Again, I ain't no Semmelweis...

BUT I'M WONDERING (publicly again)...

WILL UK MIDWIVES (Prof. Soo Downe, for example) SPEAK OUT TOMORROW ABOUT
THIS GRISLY OBSTETRIC TOMFOOLERY?

See An OB/midwife/woman/baby (win-win-win-win) situation...

How about American healthcare system guru DONALD BERWICK, MD?

Neil Swidey of the Boston Globe ) writes:

"In 2002, the weekly trade publication Modern Healthcare ranked Berwick the
third most powerful person in American health care..."
http://www.boston.com/globe/search/stories/reprints/therevolution010404.html

(Modern Healthcare is published by CHARLES S. LAUER ) a
former AMA director of communications.)
http://www.crain.com/Lauer.htm

Don, you reportedly want the healthcare system to be "blownup." (see below.)

Until you blow up the healthcare system - could you help to open birth
canals?

AM I BEING *UNREASONABLY* MONOMANIACAL ABOUT STOPPING OBs FROM CLOSING BIRTH
CANALS?

Dr. Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet writes:

"There is nothing wrong with being monomaniacal."
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17009

Dr. Ignac Semmelweis called obstetricians "murderers" because they went
straight from dissecting dead people to putting their hands in the vaginas
of mothers giving birth - without washing their hands...

In large part because obstetricians refused to wash their hands, as many as
60 times more women were dying in hospitals than at home.

Semmelweis was considered a "crackpot" for protesting - for urging
obstetricians to simply wash their hands in a chloride solution between
working on dead patients and live patients.

Horton quotes the respected medical historian Owsei Temkin:

"The vision of a genius needs a certain single-mindedness to cut through the
bewildering, contradictory evidence of contemporary life; it needs a
compulsion to follow the vision and thus comes perilously close to the
monomania of the crackpot. Semmelweis called the obstetricians who
disregarded his work murderers. To them in turn his zeal must have appeared
that of a fanatic."
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17009

OTHER SEMMELWEISES...

Semmelweis biographer Sherwin B. Nuland, MD writes:

"Very likely there have been Semmelweises before and since..." [Nuland SB.
The Doctors' Plague. NY:WW Norton
2003:183]

Again...

I know I ain't no Semmelweis...

BUT...

Obstetricians are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%.

Obstetricians are therefore criminally negligent.

Occasionally obstetric criminal negligence escalates to criminally negligent
homicide - and midwives are silently going along with the grisly obstetric
gag...

See again: An OB/midwife/woman/baby (win-win-win-win) situation...

Interestingly, at one point Semmelweis did side-lying births because of
midwives...

"Because the midwives delivered women lying on their sides, [Semmelweis]
began to do the same..." [Nuland SB. The Doctors' Plague. NY:WW Norton
2003:93]

Attention OB and midwives:

Allowing birth canals to open an "extra" up to 30% - side-lying delivery -
is ALMOST as easy as, well, washing your hands.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1 MORE ON DON BERWICK, MD...

Neil Swidey of the Boston Globe ) writes:

"His conclusion: To save the health care system, it first needs to be blown
up...[H]is wife's hospital experiences convinced him that revolution holds
the only chance for sustained change."

I'll cc Don via Neil...

Swidely also writes:

"Berwick has been sought out by the Bush administration and Democratic
presidential candidates Howard Dean and John Kerry for help in formulating
health care policy. In 2002, the weekly trade publication Modern Healthcare
ranked Berwick the third most powerful person in American health care..."

(As noted above, Modern Healthcare is published by CHARLES S. LAUER
) a former AMA director of communications.)
http://www.crain.com/Lauer.htm

I'll cc Don via Charles...

DONALD BERWICK, MD says:

"I wonder if I'm less effective for having been radicalized...I can no
longer take moderation."
http://www.boston.com/globe/search/stories/reprints/therevolution010404.html

Semmelweis was like that. He reportedly lost his mind though.

Don, I'm hoping that you - the third most powerful person in American health
care - can help me open birth canals...

One last note...

I think Dick Horton is right on in his debate with Sherwin Nuland, MD.

See The New York Review of Books: Volume 51, Number 5 · March 25, 2004,
'The Fool of Pest': An Exchange. By Sherwin B. Nuland, Reply by Richard
Horton. In response to The Fool of Pest (February 26, 2004)
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17009

SHERWIN NULAND, MD

Nuland being at Yale reminds me...
Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney ignored my pleas years ago and promoted
routine closure of the birth canal, as in,

"The usual positions in a hospital delivery room are lithotomy or dorsal.
Midwives believe that in neither of these positions does the woman have to
be flat on her back; rather, they encourage a semisitting, or 'back up' and
'legs down,' modification of these positions." (!)
[Varney H. Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett. 4th ed.
2004:839]

Also on p. 839, CNMwife Varney promotes KEEPING the birth canal closed when
the shoulder get stuck (!):

"In the event of...shoulder dystocia...the woman should be
in a lithotomy position..."

CNMwives are just aping recalcitrant OBs...

Again, thanks for reading everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS2 PROOF that OBs and CNMwives are routinely closing birth canals up to
30%...

The fact that semisitting and dorsal close the birth canal is simple
biomechanics.

See Gastaldo TD. Letter. Birth 1992;19(4):230.

Here's my source for the 30% figure...

"[T]he outlet increases with moulding by approximately 20-30 per cent."
--Russell JGB. Moulding of the pelvic outlet. J Obstet Gynaec Brit Cwlth
1969;76:817-20.

NOTE: In 1973, Ohlsen verified Russell's 20% figure on
Borell and Fernstrom's 1957 intrapartum x-rays. Ohlsen pointed out that the
authors of Williams Obstetrics were claiming that the pelvic diameters
*don't
change* during delivery (!) - so the authors of Williams Obstetrics decided
(erroneously) that dorsal delivery widens!

Interestingly, early last century, J. Whitridge Williams, MD, the original
author of Williams Obstetrics demonstrated MASSIVE amounts of change in
pelvic outlet diameter change at-term - and the just mentioned 1957
intrapartum x-ray study accorded with the average amount of pelvic outlet
diameter change Williams found clinically...

See: http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

Jason Gardosi, MD, director of the British National Health
Service/NHS West Midlands Perinatal
Institute/WMPI states the grisly biomechanics of the semirecumbent
delivery position (semisitting):

"...the weight of the mother is in part taken on the sacrum which is
therefore pushed upwards, thus decreasing the antero-posterior diameter of
the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.wmpi.net/reviews/oe/oe_shoulder_dystocia.htm

The funny thing is, Jason Gardosi, MD also *recommends* semisitting (closing
the birth canal) - or used to!

"The second stage...You might want to remain in bed with your back propped
up with pillows...As you push, try to let yourself 'open up' below..."
http://www.preg.info/book/chapter11.htm

NOTE: Jason Gardosi, MD and his fellow British OB pal Malcolm Griffiths once
got me censored from an international OB/GYN listserv - but fortunately not
before two of my posts were archived thereon:
http://forums.obgyn.net/forums/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0128.html
http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0153.html

Anyone interested in some entertaining obstetric reading, check out Jason's
1989 Lancet "randomised controlled trial of squatting" - where nobody
squatted...

See Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT motionless for hours)...

MORE PROOF According to the Merck Manual:

"When shoulder dystocia occurs...the mother's thighs are hyperflexed to
increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/section18/chapter253/253g.jsp

WHY are OBs and CNMwives (nurse midwives) waiting until the
head is
out and shoulders get stuck before giving the baby maximum pelvic outlet
diameter?

WHY are OBs and CNMwives forcing babies' heads through birth canals
senselessly closed up to 30%?

WHY are OBs and CNMwives KEEPING birth canals closed when babies' shoulders
get stuck?

(Merely hyperflexing the thighs does NOT get the woman off her sacrum. This
is BAD McRoberts maneuver. ON A POSITIVE NOTE: Gardosi et al.'s WMPI site
(quoted above) recommends a version of GOOD McRoberts
if the shoulders get stuck...
http://www.wmpi.net/reviews/oe/oe_shoulder_dystocia.htm)

LADIES: HELP PROTECT YOUR VAGINAS...

OBs and CNMwives are slicing vaginas (euphemism "routine episiotomy") -
surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring everything possible is being done to OPEN
birth canals - even as they CLOSE birth canals - up to 30%!

See Criminal medical CAM at Hawai'i's John A Burns School of
Medicine
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2256

Sorry to be repetitive but...

WEIRD: In 1993, the authors of Williams Obstetrics published the correct
biomechanics at my request but they left in their text (in the same
paragraph!) the "dorsal widens" bald lie that first called my attention to
their text.

The "dorsal widens" bald lie was created when Ohlsen informed the authors of
Williams Obstetrics in 1973 that they were still claiming that the pelvic
diameters *don't change* at delivery!

ALSO WEIRD: Before Ohlsen stimulated their "dorsal widens" bald lie, the
authors of Williams Obstetrics were ignoring Borell and Fernstrom's 1957
RADIOGRAPHIC demonstration that the diameters DO change - and this MANY
years after (way back in 1911) J. Whitridge Williams, MD - the first author
of Williams Obstetrics - clinically demonstrated 4cm of AP outlet diameter
change!

For details: See my Open Letter to FTC at:
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS

PREGNANT WOMEN: It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up
to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BUT BEWARE: "Midwives...encourage...semisitting." (closing the birth canal!)
--Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney. Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones
and Bartlett. 4th ed. 2004:839]

Some MDs and MBs will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

If your baby's shoulders get stuck OBs and CNMwives will KEEP your birth
canal closed!

Yale CNMwifery Prof. Varney (just cited) writes:

"In the event of...shoulder dystocia...the woman should be
in a lithotomy position..." (p. 839)

Lithotomy position keeps the birth canal closed! So does semisitting!

Talk to your CNMwife or MD or MB about this TODAY. (For further details see
"Criminal medical CAM," URL above.)

CNMwives/MDs/MBs: If you must push or pull - and sometimes you must - first
get the
woman off her sacrum - off her back/butt.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

Todd Gastaldo
June 27th 04, 06:52 PM
The British surgeon Joseph Lister used carbolic acid/phenol.

"Lister now began to clean wounds and dress them using a solution of
carbolic acid.
He was able to announce at a British Medical Association meeting, in 1867,
that his wards at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary had remained clear of sepsis
for nine months."
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/b.gardner/Lister.html

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2591