PDA

View Full Version : Re: WEIRD swelling

melizabeth
June 9th 04, 01:41 PM
Put your feet up and relax :) I noticed swelling around my 28th week and it
hasn't gone down. Yesterday and today I have been very active and my feet
have just porked up...and it hurts a little. I drink water constantly just
to keep myself hydrated. I don't think your swelling is incredibly weird,
the docs should make sure your BP is okay for where you are in your
pregnancy

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Nic H
June 9th 04, 02:43 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted about this, it was a bit of a worry, well,
because it was gross LOL They were still swollen at the end of the day, not
squishy though last night. So lete me say thanks, to Ilse, Leslie, Jamie,
Zolw, Hillary, Mary, JennL, KR and Melizabeth. It was really great to be
able to have the support.

Hillary, thanks for putting a name to it, that was really helpful because I
found a photo of pitted edema, and it looked just like mine.

I've set up 2 chairs in the yard, one chair on a "bump" in the grass so my
feet can go higher as suggested, works pretty well! We don't have a bath put
in yet, but once the fence is finished we'll set up my DD's little pool and
I'll sit in that :-) Jamie once I do get a bath, just TRY and keep me out of
it! LOL Don't eat much salt, but limited that and will continue to do so
also. The temp wasn't outrageous here actually, I was sure God was watching
over us, it'd been pretty hot all week, then when it came time for us to
have to stand out in it, the weekend was cooler, cloudy and misted! I didn't
call about it, but I will mention it at my next appointment for sure.

SO much to be done before our new baby girl gets here, and I seem to be
going crazy trying to make sure everything is done! Sure, the fence isn't
for her, but it's for DD because I want her to have a place to play during
this summer vacation which is out of the question without the fence. Our new
baby has everything new in boxes waiting to go into her room once it's
drywalled and finished, and I don't want my 10 year old DD to feel left out
so we're doing her the fence so she's allowed out to play, a small filtered
and covered pool, and we are going to dig out a fish pond for her to have a
couple of new friends in. Should be lovely once it's done! I really hope
this baby waits until the last minute, all of a sudden, we only have 10
weeks left!

Thanks again to you all,

Nic H
EDD 23 Aug 04 (Baby Girl!)

Marion Boulden
June 11th 04, 04:17 PM
Nic H wrote:

> So, I take my shoes and socks off last night, and my ankles were a bit more
> swollen than usual, I touched them and it was like I had playdoh ankles! The
> skin didn't bounce back. I showed my husband and daughter, who were pretty
> grossed out... I kept pressing around and I looked like a golf ball LOL They
> weren't particularly painful, just VERY ugly. This morning, they are a
> little swollen, but no "playdoh."

<snip>

> Any ideas?
>
> Nic H
> EDD 23 Aug 04 (Baby Girl!)

As long as your blood pressure is normal, shouldn't be a problem. Combination
of heat, being on your feet too long, maybe a little too much salt in something
you ate... put your feet up, maybe a warm (not hot) bath, cut out the salt,
and if anything drink *more* water, not less... inadequate water intake can
cause swelling as well... if the body isn't getting enough, it likes to hang
onto what it's got... so sometimes you need to "prime the pump" so to speak.
If you sleep on your back, try not to... the uterus puts pressure on blood
vessels supplying the lower body, which can also contribute.

regards,
Marion
edd 10/16/2004