PDA

View Full Version : implantation bleeding..

naysando
June 9th 04, 11:34 PM
do you always have this?
I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.

when should this usually occur?
does it always happen?
is it bad if it doesn't?

thanks!

Unadulterated Me
June 9th 04, 11:45 PM
naysando wrote:

> do you always have this?
> I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
>
> when should this usually occur?
> does it always happen?
> is it bad if it doesn't?
>
> thanks!

I've never had it, and implantation occurs before your period would be
due so any bleeding when you would be due (light spotting or whatever)
or after is not implantation bleeding.

naysando
June 9th 04, 11:47 PM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> I've never had it, and implantation occurs before your period would be
> due so any bleeding when you would be due (light spotting or whatever)
> or after is not implantation bleeding.

thanks I wasn't sure about that....
maybe it's time to dig out my "what to expect when expecting" book! ; )

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 12:18 AM
naysando wrote:

> "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
>
>>I've never had it, and implantation occurs before your period would be
>>due so any bleeding when you would be due (light spotting or whatever)
>>or after is not implantation bleeding.
>

> thanks I wasn't sure about that....
> maybe it's time to dig out my "what to expect when expecting" book! ; )

Ack no that's only good for fire fuel or propping up the table legs.

Angela Schepers
June 10th 04, 12:20 AM
I never had any implantation bleeding either.

Richard wrote:
> naysando > wrote:
> : do you always have this?
> : I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
> :
> : when should this usually occur?
> : does it always happen?
> :
> : is it bad if it doesn't?
>
> It never happened with us. Our daughter is 19 mo and doing very
> well indeed.
>
> Richard
> Micaela's dad

Donna Metler
June 10th 04, 12:45 AM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> naysando wrote:
>
> > do you always have this?
> > I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
> >
> > when should this usually occur?
> > does it always happen?
> > is it bad if it doesn't?
> >
> > thanks!
> >

> I've never had it, and implantation occurs before your period would be
> due so any bleeding when you would be due (light spotting or whatever)
> or after is not implantation bleeding.

Uh, my OB said that what I had this last time was probably implantation
bleeding, and it occurred right about when my period was due-but after a
positive HPT. He also thinks that this is why I had my dates off by a full
month with my first pregnancy-because I assumed it was a really light
period, and didn't think that I might be pregnant until I missed the 2nd
month.

Sophie
June 10th 04, 12:57 AM
"naysando" > wrote in message
> do you always have this?
> I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
>
> when should this usually occur?
> does it always happen?
> is it bad if it doesn't?
>
> thanks!

4 pregnancies and I've never had it.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 01:09 AM
Donna Metler wrote:

> "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
>
>>naysando wrote:
>>

>>>do you always have this?
>>>I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
>>>
>>>when should this usually occur?
>>>does it always happen?
>>>is it bad if it doesn't?
>>>
>>>thanks!
>>>

>>I've never had it, and implantation occurs before your period would be
>>due so any bleeding when you would be due (light spotting or whatever)
>>or after is not implantation bleeding.

> Uh, my OB said that what I had this last time was probably implantation
> bleeding, and it occurred right about when my period was due-but after a
> positive HPT. He also thinks that this is why I had my dates off by a full
> month with my first pregnancy-because I assumed it was a really light
> period, and didn't think that I might be pregnant until I missed the 2nd
> month.

I had that with my first too, but it's not implantation bleeding, the
baby implants between day's 5-10 from memory. If you get a light bleed
when you period is due (14 day's plus after ovulation) it will most
likely be due to weak hormonal levels, not the blastocyst implanting
into the uterine lining.

JennP
June 10th 04, 02:44 AM
"naysando" > wrote in message
> do you always have this?
> I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
>
> when should this usually occur?
> does it always happen?
> is it bad if it doesn't?

I didn't have any spotting with ds, or my last two pregnancies, but I did
with this one. It was right around the same time my period was due. Of
course, I'd had a snowmobile accident (didn't know I was pg) a few days
before and was worried that was the cause, but I think it was implantation
spotting. No pain, barely any blood, just a slight amount of light brown
spotting.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Amy
June 10th 04, 08:23 AM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message
> naysando wrote:
>
> > "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message

> > thanks I wasn't sure about that....
> > maybe it's time to dig out my "what to expect when expecting" book! ; )
> >

> Ack no that's only good for fire fuel or propping up the table legs.

Lol...I'll second that ;-)

Amy
June 10th 04, 08:25 AM
Not everyone has it or notices it. With my first pg I had light brown
spotting, with this one I had a *tiny* amount of bright red spotting about
the time I thought my period was due, but it looks like I ov'd a bit later
than I thought. Nothing to be concerned about either way, unless you get
bleeding later on.

"naysando" > wrote in message
> do you always have this?
> I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
>
> when should this usually occur?
> does it always happen?
> is it bad if it doesn't?
>
> thanks!

naysando
June 10th 04, 03:39 PM
"Amy" > wrote in message
> > > "Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message

> > > maybe it's time to dig out my "what to expect when expecting" book!
; )

> > Ack no that's only good for fire fuel or propping up the table legs.
> >
> Lol...I'll second that ;-)

ok, why does everyone not like this book????
I thought everyone liked it..

JennP
June 10th 04, 03:55 PM
"naysando" > wrote in message

> ok, why does everyone not like this book????
> I thought everyone liked it..

Because it treats pregnancy as if it's a medical condition with disaster
about to strike at any time. You could become very paranoid reading that
book, IMO. I don't need to know about every rare condition that *could
possibly* happen to me. I skimmed it once then put it away.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

naysando
June 10th 04, 04:20 PM
"JennP" > wrote in message
> Because it treats pregnancy as if it's a medical condition with disaster
> about to strike at any time. You could become very paranoid reading that
> book, IMO. I don't need to know about every rare condition that *could
> possibly* happen to me. I skimmed it once then put it away.

can you recommend any that are good?
I like the month to month (like this is what is happening)

thanks!

Donna Metler
June 10th 04, 09:20 PM
"naysando" > wrote in message

> "JennP" > wrote in message
> > Because it treats pregnancy as if it's a medical condition with disaster
> > about to strike at any time. You could become very paranoid reading that
> > book, IMO. I don't need to know about every rare condition that *could
> > possibly* happen to me. I skimmed it once then put it away.
>
> can you recommend any that are good?
> I like the month to month (like this is what is happening)
>
> thanks!

OTOH, many books gloss over rare conditions entirely. In my case, that meant
I ignored early symptoms which I shouldn't have, until they got bad enough
that my life was literally endangered (I was told that if I had waited until
the next morning to call my doctor, instead of calling the night I did, I
probably wouldn't have made it to the hospital at all-it was that bad).
After this, I went through literally every pregnancy book on the shelves-and
found only one which was clear as to which things were "Call now, don't
wait" and which were "mention to your doctor when you have a chance".

Sophie
June 10th 04, 09:33 PM
"naysando" > wrote in message
> ok, why does everyone not like this book????
> I thought everyone liked it..

I do know plenty of people who like the book and not being mean but they're
usually people who are super uneducated about pregnancy, childbirth, their
options, etc...

I don't like the diet/food section. And the "what can go wrong" section is
needlessly scary.

I liked Your Pregnancy Week By Week. Or online websites.

PattyMomVA
June 10th 04, 10:08 PM
"Donna Metler" > wrote and I snipped:

> After this, I went through literally every pregnancy book on the
shelves-and
> found only one which was clear as to which things were "Call now, don't
> wait" and which were "mention to your doctor when you have a chance".

So,.......will you share your book recommendation?

-Patty, mom to 3

Donna Metler
June 10th 04, 10:18 PM
"PattyMomVA" > wrote in message
> "Donna Metler" > wrote and I snipped:
> >
> > After this, I went through literally every pregnancy book on the
> shelves-and
> > found only one which was clear as to which things were "Call now, don't
> > wait" and which were "mention to your doctor when you have a chance".
>
> So,.......will you share your book recommendation?
>
> -Patty, mom to 3

The one which I liked the best is the Mother of All Pregnancy Books by Ann
Douglas. It is quite comphrehensive, and seems to do a good job of balancing
the scary stuff with the reassuring stuff, and seems to avoid getting
preachy. Since Douglas also wrote one of the best books out there about
subsequent pregnancy after miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant loss (Trying
Again), it probably isn't surprising that she's got more information about
complications than many authors. The others either made everything seem
rather minor, or would have the average woman calling her OB or midwife
constantly.

I also like pregnancy day by day-not comprehensive, by any stretch, but
because it gives pretty regular updates (every few weeks) and has really
good photos of both the babies development and what women's bodies look like
at each stage.

The best book I've found on high-risk pregnancy is "When Pregnancy isn't
Perfect"-but I wouldn't recommend it until you need it-and then, only to
look up specific things. It's designed for that-with sections which are
specific to different situations and then more general stuff separately, but
while the information on your specific situation (and the knowledge that
most women make it through X with a healthy baby at the end) is helpful,
reading the descriptions of everyone else's problems could easily bring on
nightmares.

A&G&K
June 10th 04, 10:41 PM
"naysando" > wrote in message
> do you always have this?
> I did have this with my son, but I haven't seen any yet.
>
> when should this usually occur?
> does it always happen?
> is it bad if it doesn't?
>
> thanks!

I didn't have any with DD, I did with this one ... I thought it was AF
showing up after my m/c, but a week or two later when there'd been not more
than a spot I finaly did a hpt and found out about this bub.

HTH
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 11:08 PM
naysando wrote:

> "JennP" > wrote in message
>
>>Because it treats pregnancy as if it's a medical condition with disaster
>>about to strike at any time. You could become very paranoid reading that
>>book, IMO. I don't need to know about every rare condition that *could
>>possibly* happen to me. I skimmed it once then put it away.
>

> can you recommend any that are good?
> I like the month to month (like this is what is happening)
>
> thanks!

Sheila Kitzinger does a few good ones that do the week to week stuff,
you can also get all that kind of thing send daily or weekly in an email
from places like Babycenter or parentsplace. And Janet Balaskas has a
nice one that is a diary as well for recording pregnancy milestones and
feelings, or actually maybe that was Sheila Kitzinger too, I can't
recall now.

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 11:14 PM
Donna Metler wrote:

> "naysando" > wrote in message
>
>>"JennP" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Because it treats pregnancy as if it's a medical condition with disaster
>>>about to strike at any time. You could become very paranoid reading that
>>>book, IMO. I don't need to know about every rare condition that *could
>>>possibly* happen to me. I skimmed it once then put it away.
>>
>>can you recommend any that are good?
>>I like the month to month (like this is what is happening)
>>
>>thanks!
>>

> OTOH, many books gloss over rare conditions entirely. In my case, that meant
> I ignored early symptoms which I shouldn't have, until they got bad enough
> that my life was literally endangered (I was told that if I had waited until
> the next morning to call my doctor, instead of calling the night I did, I
> probably wouldn't have made it to the hospital at all-it was that bad).
> After this, I went through literally every pregnancy book on the shelves-and
> found only one which was clear as to which things were "Call now, don't
> wait" and which were "mention to your doctor when you have a chance".

That could also be a danger in not listening to your own body and
instincts too, you shouldn't just rely on what books or other people
say, if you feel like **** then something isn't right, if you feel like
**** to the point you would of died the next day then something
seriously wasn't right and you should of just gone to the doctor anyway.
Books are great and all, I have a small library worth myself, but there
is such a thing as knowing to much, or not so much knowing to much but
letting that book knowledge over ride our natural instincts as to our
well being.

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 11:38 PM
PattyMomVA wrote:

> "Donna Metler" > wrote and I snipped:
>
>>After this, I went through literally every pregnancy book on the
>
> shelves-and
>
>>found only one which was clear as to which things were "Call now, don't
>>wait" and which were "mention to your doctor when you have a chance".
>

> So,.......will you share your book recommendation?
>
> -Patty, mom to 3

Books I've enjoyed and found helpful to a degree...

What's right for me, making decisions in pregnanxcy and birth by Sara
Wickham (in fact I have a few of Sara's books and they are brilliant,
she also has AntiD in Midwifery Paradox or Panacea, Vitamin K and the
Newborn)
Obstetric Myths vs. Research Realities and The Thinking
Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
Pursuing the Birth Machine by Marsden Wagner
Breech Birth Woman-Wise by Maggie Banks
A guide to effective care Enkin Keirse et al
Mayes Midwifery (this is a textbook though, might not be your scene)
The natural way to better birth Francesca Naish
New Active Birth janet Balaskas
Normal Values in pregnancy M Ramsay (again textbookish but informative)
Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis
Primal Birth m Odent (it was an interesting read, but if I had the
choice again I'd borrow it not buy it)
Any of Sheila Kizinger's books, I love what she writes
Your Amazing newborn Mand P Klaus (good for kids too)

Amy
June 11th 04, 01:26 AM
"Unadulterated Me" > wrote in message

> That could also be a danger in not listening to your own body and
> instincts too, you shouldn't just rely on what books or other people
> say, if you feel like **** then something isn't right, if you feel like
> **** to the point you would of died the next day then something
> seriously wasn't right and you should of just gone to the doctor anyway.
> Books are great and all, I have a small library worth myself, but there
> is such a thing as knowing to much, or not so much knowing to much but
> letting that book knowledge over ride our natural instincts as to our
> well being.

Perhaps, but people tend to assume as women, as mothers, we possess some
kind of psychic ability. There's a lot of ignorance out there. No-one ever
told me about kick counts, or that too much movement could be bad. In fact
the impression I got from talking to a lot of mothers was that towards the
end of pregnancy, babies move less because there is less room. I now know
there should be just as many movements, but the movements are different to
those in earlier pg. Hence my son had probably been dead for a couple of
days before I panicked enough to call my midwife. I doubt that all the kick
counts in the world would probably have saved him, my 'instinct' tells me
his unexplained death was pretty sudden, but I've flogged the 'what if...'
horse pretty thoroughly for the last year and a half, particularly during
these past 36 weeks of pregnancy.

Sarah Vaughan
June 20th 04, 08:36 PM
In message >, naysando
> writes
>
>"JennP" > wrote in message
>> Because it treats pregnancy as if it's a medical condition with disaster
>> about to strike at any time. You could become very paranoid reading that
>> book, IMO. I don't need to know about every rare condition that *could
>> possibly* happen to me. I skimmed it once then put it away.
>
>can you recommend any that are good?
>I like the month to month (like this is what is happening)
>
>thanks!

I've got one called 'The Rough Guide to Pregnancy' by Kaz Cooke, but
have no idea if it's available in the USA. It doesn't really have much
on the serious conditions, but if you want to read about the usual sort
of ups and downs of the average pregnancy and to get a giggle while
doing so, it's ideal. It's a week-by-week first-person diary of a
pregnancy from pre-conception to the immediate post-partum period
(partly based on the author's own experience, partly fictionalised) and
each week also has a bit on how the fetus is developing, what's
happening to your body right now, and some general advice and stuff
about whatever's relevant at the time - dealing with ms, buying
maternity clothes, going to antenatal classes, whatever. And it's
written in a lovely light-hearted humorous style. Definitely recommended
if it is available.

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley

Elle
June 21st 04, 03:13 PM

"Donna Metler" > wrote in message >...

> The one which I liked the best is the Mother of All Pregnancy Books by Ann
> Douglas. It is quite comphrehensive, and seems to do a good job of balancing
> the scary stuff with the reassuring stuff, and seems to avoid getting
> preachy. Since Douglas also wrote one of the best books out there about
> subsequent pregnancy after miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant loss (Trying
> Again), it probably isn't surprising that she's got more information about
> complications than many authors. The others either made everything seem
> rather minor, or would have the average woman calling her OB or midwife
> constantly.

I have Trying Again. It is a very good book, which is lucky cause
there aren't too many out there.

Ann Douglas has, IIRC, four children and has also experienced
miscarriage and a stillbirth. I find she writes in an informed and
straightforward, yet calm, voice.

Elle

Donna Metler
June 21st 04, 03:35 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
m...

> > shelves-and
>
> "PattyMomVA" > wrote in message
>
> > > So,.......will you share your book recommendation?
>
> "Donna Metler" > wrote in message
>
> > The one which I liked the best is the Mother of All Pregnancy Books by
Ann
> > Douglas. It is quite comphrehensive, and seems to do a good job of
balancing
> > the scary stuff with the reassuring stuff, and seems to avoid getting
> > preachy. Since Douglas also wrote one of the best books out there about
> > subsequent pregnancy after miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant loss
(Trying
> > Again), it probably isn't surprising that she's got more information
about
> > complications than many authors. The others either made everything seem
> > rather minor, or would have the average woman calling her OB or midwife
> > constantly.
>
> I have Trying Again. It is a very good book, which is lucky cause
> there aren't too many out there.
>
> Ann Douglas has, IIRC, four children and has also experienced
> miscarriage and a stillbirth. I find she writes in an informed and
> straightforward, yet calm, voice.

Pregnancy After a Loss, by Carol Lanham is pretty good, too-Those are really
the only two on the subject I found. I found the Lanham book first-actually
on my first bookstore trip after my loss, and just the concept that people
could go through this and still have another baby was very encouraging. I
found the Douglas book much later, and I suspect it would have had the same
effect. I suspect that if I hadn't had written evidence that this can, and
does happen (plus reports from women on my PE group which indicated the same
thing) I would have been much less likely to try again.