PDA

View Full Version : Medication and fertility

Kazh
June 10th 04, 07:51 AM
Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems =
with fertility or early pregnancy. I've woken with a headache and sore =
neck but don't want to take pain killers like ibuprofen if it will cause =
any problem. Any Ideas ?

Kazh

Looking for a good web designer
http://www.fah-designs.com/
--
Need a childminder in Nottingham?
http://www.freewebs.com/cliftonchildminder/index.htm

BRC
June 10th 04, 08:52 AM
Hi Kazh

Don't take ibuprofen, its an anti-inflamatory and doctors have advised
against it. Paracetomol is ok, and some docs ok codene with paracetomol
too. I find a heat pad helps against the back of my neck as a way to
relieve headahces.

Hope you feel better soon

Jen

"Kazh" > wrote in message
Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems with
fertility or early pregnancy. I've woken with a headache and sore neck but
don't want to take pain killers like ibuprofen if it will cause any problem.
Any Ideas ?

Kazh

Elle
June 10th 04, 02:11 PM
"Kazh" > wrote in message >...
> Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems
> with fertility or early pregnancy. I've woken with a headache and sore
> neck but don't want to take pain killers like ibuprofen if it will cause
> any problem. Any Ideas ?

Taking one or two ibuprofen for an isolated issue like a headache is
fine. The problem arises when you take NSAIDs (anti-inflammatories)
for a longer period -- for some women it can inhibit ovulation and
therefore fertility. See http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/nsaids.html

There was a study released last summer linking regular use of NSAIDs
to miscarriage:
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2003/10/06/hlse1006.htm.

This study says this, at
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/327/7411/368, about
the use of NSAIDs and miscarriage:

"The association was stronger if the initial NSAID use was around the
time of conception or if NSAID use lasted more than a week. Prenatal
aspirin use was similarly associated with an increased risk of
miscarriage. However, prenatal use of paracetamol, pharmacologically
different from NSAIDs and aspirin, was not associated with increased
risk of miscarriage regardless of timing and duration of use."

Hope you feel better soon!
Elle

Ilse Witch
June 10th 04, 03:53 PM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:51:11 +0100, Kazh wrote:

> Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems
> with fertility or early pregnancy.

You can take tylenol throughout the pregnancy, 3 times 500mg per day is
perfectly safe. If necessary one dosage of 1000mg on occasion is no
problem either.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Donna Metler
June 10th 04, 04:19 PM
"Elle" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kazh" > wrote in message
> > Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems
> > with fertility or early pregnancy. I've woken with a headache and sore
> > neck but don't want to take pain killers like ibuprofen if it will cause
> > any problem. Any Ideas ?
>
> Taking one or two ibuprofen for an isolated issue like a headache is
> fine. The problem arises when you take NSAIDs (anti-inflammatories)
> for a longer period -- for some women it can inhibit ovulation and
> therefore fertility. See http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/nsaids.html
>
> There was a study released last summer linking regular use of NSAIDs
> to miscarriage:
> http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2003/10/06/hlse1006.htm.
>
> This study says this, at
> http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/327/7411/368, about
> the use of NSAIDs and miscarriage:
>
> "The association was stronger if the initial NSAID use was around the
> time of conception or if NSAID use lasted more than a week. Prenatal
> aspirin use was similarly associated with an increased risk of
> miscarriage. However, prenatal use of paracetamol, pharmacologically
> different from NSAIDs and aspirin, was not associated with increased
> risk of miscarriage regardless of timing and duration of use."
>
> Hope you feel better soon!
> Elle
This is interesting, because one of the standard suggestions for women who
have had Pre-eclampsia is to take low-dose aspirin starting before
conception, and continuing during pregnancy.

silivrenglaur
June 10th 04, 04:35 PM
<snip>

> This is interesting, because one of the standard suggestions for women who
> have had Pre-eclampsia is to take low-dose aspirin starting before
> conception, and continuing during pregnancy.

Aspirin is totally different than ibuprophen. It is rarley perscribed as a
pain killer anymore... Its mostly used for thinning the blood etc. Aspirin
is not an anti-inflammatory drug.

Hillary Israeli
June 10th 04, 05:29 PM
In >,
silivrenglaur > wrote:
*
*Aspirin is totally different than ibuprophen. It is rarley perscribed as a
*pain killer anymore... Its mostly used for thinning the blood etc. Aspirin
*is not an anti-inflammatory drug.

Current applications aside, aspirin is absolutely an antiinflammatory
drug. It's antiinflammatory, analgesic, antipyretic, and antirheumatic.
It's a wonder drug, really, if you think about it.

The mode of action for the antiinflammatory effects is inibition of
synthesis and release of prostaglandins. It does a lot of other stuff too,
though.

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 10:49 PM
Elle wrote:

> "Kazh" > wrote in message >...
>
>>Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems
>>with fertility or early pregnancy. I've woken with a headache and sore
>>neck but don't want to take pain killers like ibuprofen if it will cause
>>any problem. Any Ideas ?
>

> Taking one or two ibuprofen for an isolated issue like a headache is
> fine. The problem arises when you take NSAIDs (anti-inflammatories)
> for a longer period -- for some women it can inhibit ovulation and
> therefore fertility. See http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/nsaids.html
>
> There was a study released last summer linking regular use of NSAIDs
> to miscarriage:
> http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2003/10/06/hlse1006.htm.
>
> This study says this, at
> http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/327/7411/368, about
> the use of NSAIDs and miscarriage:
>
> "The association was stronger if the initial NSAID use was around the
> time of conception or if NSAID use lasted more than a week. Prenatal
> aspirin use was similarly associated with an increased risk of
> miscarriage. However, prenatal use of paracetamol, pharmacologically
> different from NSAIDs and aspirin, was not associated with increased
> risk of miscarriage regardless of timing and duration of use."
>
> Hope you feel better soon!
> Elle

Wow that was quite shocking for me to read, I take 1,200mg's of
ibuprofen a day for my RA and have for sometime, I have always been told
by my rheumatologist it was safe for use in pregnancy except the last
trimester and now I read this. I'm thankful Lydia was fine in that case,
although I wasn't on it when she was conceived i was on it during her
first trimester, and should I of conceived or plan to conceive I would
of been none the wiser except for reading this. An 80% increased risk of
miscarriage is just bonkers, why didn't my Rheumatologist tell me of
such a massively high risk, that's irresponsible. I even double checked
her findings and found none of this information, the only online things
I found were it's only contra indication was for the third trimester due
to the umbilicla artery sometimes closing early (and even then it was
pretty rare).
She's also put me on a DMARD (sulphasalazine) now that she also told me
would be safe in pregnancy should one occur, I don't know if I believe
her now.

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 10:52 PM
silivrenglaur wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>This is interesting, because one of the standard suggestions for women who
>>have had Pre-eclampsia is to take low-dose aspirin starting before
>>conception, and continuing during pregnancy.
>>

> Aspirin is totally different than ibuprophen. It is rarley perscribed as a
> pain killer anymore... Its mostly used for thinning the blood etc. Aspirin
> is not an anti-inflammatory drug.

Aspirin is an anti inflammatory and quite an effective pain reliever,
unfortunately it also thins your blood as you said and has other not so
nice side effects when taken long term so other things are used as a
first line anti inflammatory.

Unadulterated Me
June 10th 04, 10:56 PM
Hillary Israeli wrote:

> The mode of action for the antiinflammatory effects is inibition of
> synthesis and release of prostaglandins. It does a lot of other stuff too,
> though.

Back in the day when I had after pains so severe I'd pass out and vomit
from the pain aspirin was one of the things i was prescribed because of
the prostaglandin block effect. I didn't work so great on it's own but I
ended up with a aspirin, codeine, paracetamol blend that worked great if
I took them every 4 hours and kept on top of it.

Cheryl
June 11th 04, 03:07 AM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:19:32 -0500, "Donna Metler"
> wrote:

>This is interesting, because one of the standard suggestions for women who
>have had Pre-eclampsia is to take low-dose aspirin starting before
>conception, and continuing during pregnancy.

Low dose aspirin therapy probably hasn't the same effect as a pain
killing dose. It's usually only about a third to one sixth (depending
on if you take one or two tablets). Any anti-inflammatory action
would be really small in that situation but the blood thinning effect
would be enough.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)

Elle
June 11th 04, 02:21 PM
Unadulterated Me > wrote in message >...
> Elle wrote:
>
> > "Kazh" > wrote in message >...
> >
> >>Does anybody know if any pain relieve medication can cause any problems
> >>with fertility or early pregnancy. I've woken with a headache and sore
> >>neck but don't want to take pain killers like ibuprofen if it will cause
> >>any problem. Any Ideas ?
> >

> > Taking one or two ibuprofen for an isolated issue like a headache is
> > fine. The problem arises when you take NSAIDs (anti-inflammatories)
> > for a longer period -- for some women it can inhibit ovulation and
> > therefore fertility. See http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/nsaids.html
> >
> > There was a study released last summer linking regular use of NSAIDs
> > to miscarriage:
> > http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2003/10/06/hlse1006.htm.
> >
> > This study says this, at
> > http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/327/7411/368, about
> > the use of NSAIDs and miscarriage:
> >
> > "The association was stronger if the initial NSAID use was around the
> > time of conception or if NSAID use lasted more than a week. Prenatal
> > aspirin use was similarly associated with an increased risk of
> > miscarriage. However, prenatal use of paracetamol, pharmacologically
> > different from NSAIDs and aspirin, was not associated with increased
> > risk of miscarriage regardless of timing and duration of use."
> >
> > Hope you feel better soon!
> > Elle
>
> Wow that was quite shocking for me to read, I take 1,200mg's of
> ibuprofen a day for my RA and have for sometime, I have always been told
> by my rheumatologist it was safe for use in pregnancy except the last
> trimester and now I read this. I'm thankful Lydia was fine in that case,
> although I wasn't on it when she was conceived i was on it during her
> first trimester, and should I of conceived or plan to conceive I would
> of been none the wiser except for reading this. An 80% increased risk of
> miscarriage is just bonkers, why didn't my Rheumatologist tell me of
> such a massively high risk, that's irresponsible. I even double checked
> her findings and found none of this information, the only online things
> I found were it's only contra indication was for the third trimester due
> to the umbilicla artery sometimes closing early (and even then it was
> pretty rare).
> She's also put me on a DMARD (sulphasalazine) now that she also told me
> would be safe in pregnancy should one occur, I don't know if I believe
> her now.

I was also a rather heavy ibuprofen user -- I also have arthirtis.
When we decided to TTC my rheumatologist weaned me off of my regular
medication (sulfasalazine which I see you are taking now too). You
know I had done my own checking and found that the sulfa was ok to
take during pregnancy, that in fact it was one of the drugs of choice
for women who are having a hard time coping during pregnancy and need
to go back on DMARDs. I figure my rheumatologist was maybe being too
cautious, since she ususally sees geriatrics maybe she doesn't know
too much about young women and arthritis :)

The funny thing is she said I could keep taking the celebrex until I
got pregnant, and then stop. Looking back over my charts my ovulation
patterns were very stange when I was on that drug. Like my body would
gear up to ovulate a few times before actually doing so. When I read
about the relationship between that drug and unexplained infertility
on pubmed (granted it was a very very small sample size) and I hadn't
gotten pg yet after quite a while trying I just stopped taking it.
Cycles smoothed out and I got pregnant two months later. Maybe
cooincidence but I will never take that drug while TTC, and I have
also cut way way back on the Advil.

I never imagined I'd be off my drugs so long. That's why I charted
actually -- thought it would help me conceive faster so I could
minimize my unmedicated years. 2.5 years later joke's on me :)

Elle
Tentatively due 16 February 2005

Kazh
June 12th 04, 01:10 PM
I hope this is not the case with me. I've used prescription medication =
in the past for back pain, ibuprofen and diclofenac. I was taken off =
diclofenac as they said it can cause stomach problem....of which I =
now...2 years on have a hernia...........and put me on ibuprofen. I used =
to take 2 a day every morning WITH 2 paracetamol for lower spine back =
pain............I stopped taking them about 6 months ago AFTER the found =
the hernia,. I now use just paracetamol.for pain relieve.

"Elle" > wrote in message =
om...
"Kazh" > wrote in message =

Taking one or two ibuprofen for an isolated issue like a headache is
fine. The problem arises when you take NSAIDs (anti-inflammatories)
for a longer period -- for some women it can inhibit ovulation and
therefore fertility. See http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/nsaids.html

>>>respectfully sniped

Kazh
June 12th 04, 01:13 PM
I took 2 paracetamol in the head, headache disappeared but still have =
neck.....been 6 days now. I thought I had just lay funny in my sleep but =
now I think it's time to pop to the doctors with it. I have to move my =
whole body round instead of my neck to see things as it's so painful.
It decreases as the day does, but increases if rested !!

"BRC" > wrote in message =
Hi Kazh

Don't take ibuprofen, its an anti-inflamatory and doctors have advised
against it. Paracetomol is ok, and some docs ok codene with paracetomol
too. I find a heat pad helps against the back of my neck as a way to
relieve headahces.

Hope you feel better soon

Jen

Kazh

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 12th 04, 11:57 PM
Kazh wrote:
> I hope this is not the case with me. I've used prescription medication in the past for back pain, ibuprofen and diclofenac. I was taken off diclofenac as they said it can cause stomach problem....of which I now...2 years on have a hernia...........and put me on ibuprofen. I used to take 2 a day every morning WITH 2 paracetamol for lower spine back pain............I stopped taking them about 6 months ago AFTER the found the hernia,. I now use just paracetamol.for pain relieve.

Ibuprofen can be quite hard on the stomach too. Watch out for that.

Kazh
June 13th 04, 07:05 PM
thanks