PDA

View Full Version : Engorgement Question

Carol Ann
June 10th 04, 10:51 AM
What happens if you are engorged, feed your baby and don't pump?

I'm still pretty full, but Morgan fell asleep.

--
~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04

Cheryl
June 10th 04, 11:20 AM
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:51:03 GMT, "Carol Ann"
> wrote:

>What happens if you are engorged, feed your baby and don't pump?
>
>I'm still pretty full, but Morgan fell asleep.

Your body gets the message to not produce so much. It can be
uncomfortable but it's the same as women who don't feed at all - their
body eventually realises that it doesn't need to make so much milk (or
any at all) so it slows down production. When I was expressing
exclusively for my third child I was obviously overdoing it because
when she went onto the breast I got engorged and mastitis. This is
not necessarily going to happen to you, but you might want to slow
down on the pumping if you aren't going to use the milk soon.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)

JennP
June 10th 04, 03:49 PM
"Carol Ann" > wrote in message
> What happens if you are engorged, feed your baby and don't pump?
>
> I'm still pretty full, but Morgan fell asleep.

If it's only on occasion, probably nothing.

If she starts skipping feedings regularly your body will get the message and
start producing less to accommodate the supply/demand. If it's not something
that happens often, just maybe pump or hand express to relieve the pressure.
She's a little young to start skipping feedings on a regular basis so I
doubt you have to worry too much. HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Cathy
June 11th 04, 03:12 AM
Carol Ann wrote:
> What happens if you are engorged, feed your baby and don't pump?
>
> I'm still pretty full, but Morgan fell asleep.

To start with, when DD slept through a few night feeds, I would drip over
the sink till I felt a bit less full (those were the days when I could bring
on a let down at will, hadn't learned to hand express, and didn't yet have a
pump). Later though, I would put up with the discomfort as I knew my body
would adjust.

Cathy