PDA

View Full Version : Re: Antidepressant puts newborns at risk, study says

Steve
June 11th 04, 07:04 AM
sorry but I must plead ignorant. I guess you're too damn intelligent and
esoteric for me.

--
Steve

I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that
something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive,
you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is
if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the
good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Raisins, 2003

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:49:00 -0700, in alt.support.depression.medication
"jake"
> > wrote:
>
> :
> :"Steve" > wrote in message
> rs.com...
> :
> :
> :> everyone knows you shouldn't take AD's while pregnant.
> :
> :Sadly this is NOT the case...as a a mere glance in the pregnancy groups
> :would tell you..
> :
> :
> :> Are you just
> :> reminding us again and again for the hell of it?
> :
> :this is not a static group and women..epecially those under the influence
of
> :SSRIs
> :do need reminding of this and to beinformed of the latest research and
> :news...
> :for the babies sake..
> :
> :you have some weird objection to this?
> :
> :
> :>
> :> --
> :> Steve
>

> Yeah he's in love with a manic Jewish Celexa freak and new mom named
Naomi.

Steve
June 11th 04, 07:11 AM
no it appears quite electrically charged in here. Especially when it comes
to this issue.

--
Steve

I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that
something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive,
you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is
if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the
good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Raisins, 2003

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:37:04 GMT, in alt.support.depression.medication
"Steve"
> > wrote:
>
> :everyone knows you shouldn't take AD's while pregnant. Are you just
> :reminding us again and again for the hell of it?
>

> Do you think this is a static group?

jake
June 11th 04, 08:23 AM
"Steve" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...
> at times I object to you and the ever growing group of alarmists that seem
> to be sucking the life out of this NG. But, then again, I guess I'm just
> chirping in with my 2 cents like you seem so capable of doing on a regular
> basis. Oh I forgot. You have some kind of a inside scoop to the truth in
> here. Is the air different from you stand?

you have never seemed a stupid man to me..

since when are the facts of a matter "alarmist" or "suck the life out of a
group"?
this is a newsgroup concerned with anti-depressant medications not a club
for drug addicts to
engage in denial of basic facts..
particularly where infants are concerned... peddling self-serving lies and
nonsense is inexcusable..

the facts are that antidepressants put newborns at risk as the posters
subject line suggests ..
what possible motive can you have for objecting to this fact being made
known to the public as
the FDA's Pediatric Subcommittee wishes?

They met on WEDNESDAY to discuss this..
you cannot get MORE topical that that!!!

do you imagine THEY are "alarmists??????

on they contrary they reccomended NOT issuing a public advisory

mothers have a right to know..

http://www.fdaadvisorycommittee.com/FDC/AdvisoryCommittee/Committees/Anti-In
fective+Drugs/060904_pediatric/060904_SSRIneonatalR.htm

SSRI Antidepressant Pregnancy Exposure Risks Should Be Communicated In
Patient Labeling, Subcmte. Says

Antidepressant pregnancy exposure risks should be described in patient
labeling, FDA's Pediatric Subcommittee of its Anti-Infective Drugs Advisory
Committee recommended June 9.

"The point here is we've all been talking about giving the information out
to the doctors, and that's important, but you also have to give it to the
mother. The mothers have to have this information given to them the best
that they can have," subcommittee member Judith O'Fallon, PhD, Mayo Clinic,
said.

The subcommittee said that the potential risks of prenatal exposure to
selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors should be
communicated to patients even though a conclusive link to toxicity has not
be determined.

FDA has received reports of neurological, neuromuscular and autonomic
effects in newborns whose mothers were taking SSRI/SNRIs such as Prozac,
Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Zoloft and Luvox.

The side effects of agitation, irritability, trouble feeding etc. could be
the sign of a withdrawal syndrome, FDA said.

The subcommittee recommended against the issuance of a public health
advisory by FDA for fear that it would unduly scare patients away from
depression therapy based on inconclusive information.

The subcommittee also supported physician education as a means of
communicating the potential risks to newborns from SSRI/SNRIs but
recommended against the issuance of a letter to health care providers due to
the intricacies of the risk/benefit consideration involved.

FDA is proposing class labeling for SSRI/SNRIs on prenatal exposure be added
to the pregnancy section.

The proposed precaution states: "Neonates exposed to SSRI/SNRI late in 3rd
trimester have developed AE requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory
support, tube feeding. AE may arise immediately upon delivery."

Adverse events that have been reported include respiratory distress,
cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty,
vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness,
irritability, and constant crying, the precaution will state.

The dosage and administration section may also advise tapering SSRI/SNRI
treatment late in the 3rd trimester, FDA said.

To watch an archived webcast of this meeting, click the button below. To
order videotapes & DVDs, email or call
800-627-8171.

http://www.iian.ibeam.com/events/fdcr001/index.jsp?ei={29B22469-CAEE-440E-BC
9E-207A859B302F}