PDA

View Full Version : 32 week appoint - Baby still Breech

Cherie
June 11th 04, 11:35 PM
Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is still
breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she does
not we would do one of the following:
A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
before my due date.

Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I had
such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that again.
I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of me
feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he was
transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he was
10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby home.

My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
in:
Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?
Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?
If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?

And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Circe
June 11th 04, 11:54 PM
Cherie wrote:
> Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby
> is still breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to
> turn but if she does not we would do one of the following:
> A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural
> and have OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then
> would do an induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn
> again.

Pish-tosh, I wouldn't *dream* of inducing for that reason. If the baby has
to be turned manually, the chances are pretty slim that he/she has enough
space in there to turn back to a breech position. I'm not saying it's
impossible, but it's not a reason to induce, IMO, *especially* at 38 weeks
when your chances of winding up with a section because you're body's not
ready yet are pretty high. IF baby is still breech at 37 weeks, I'd go for
the version and then just wait for spontaneous labor. (Ericka had her third
baby turned at about 37 weeks, IIRC, and labored spontaneously about 3 weeks
later, IIRC. Baby was still vertex at that time.)

> B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a
> few days before my due date.

You have an option C, which is to try to find an acupuncturist or other
practitioner who can do moxibustion for you. This involves burning some
herbs next to your baby toe and, bizarrely enough, doing so seems to cause
more fetal activity with the result that more breech babies turn if their
mothers have this treatment than if they don't. I honestly don't understand
why more doctors don't seem to know about this, as it's been studied and
reported on in mainstream medical journals. I believe moxibustion is most
effective when done between about 33 and 36 weeks of pregnancy, so you're
right in the range for this treatment. I also understand that you usually go
for more than one treatment (since it's the extra fetal movement that seems
to trigger the turning, sometimes it takes more than once to work). For more
information on moxibustion to turn breech babies, see
http://www.birthsource.com/proarticlefile/proarticle55.html.

You can also try to encourage the baby to turn by maternal
positioning/exercises, though it doesn't always work for everyone. See
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/breech.html for lots more information on
breech babies.

Good luck and HTH!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Kim E.
June 12th 04, 01:50 AM
In article >, "Cherie"
<cedgeworthATcopper.net> says...
> Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is still
> breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she does
> not we would do one of the following:
> A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
> OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
> induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
> B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
> before my due date.
>
> Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I had
> such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that again.
> I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of me
> feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
> position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he was
> transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he was
> 10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
> heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
> hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby home.
>
> My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
> in:
> Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?
> Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?
> If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
> have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?
>
> And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.

I don't have a comment so much as a question. I was just curious as to
what type of breech position your baby was in. Also, do they just not
do vaginal deliveries anymore for *any* breech births? I have several
relatives who were born vaginally butt first, but this was decades ago.

-kim

Dagny
June 12th 04, 02:56 AM
"Cherie" <cedgeworthATcopper.net> wrote in message
> Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is still
> breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she
does
> not we would do one of the following:
> A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
> OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
> induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
> B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
> before my due date.
>
> Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I
had
> such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that
again.
> I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of me
> feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
> position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he was
> transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he was
> 10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
> heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
> hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby
home.

> My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
> in:
> Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?
> Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?
> If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
> have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?
>
> And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
> --
> Cherie
> mom to Jakob (22 months)
> baby Grace EDD 8/6/2004

Have you considered doing a vaginal breech if the version fails? A
practitioner who will do this is not that hard to find since you have
already delivered vaginally.

Cherie
June 12th 04, 03:16 AM
"Kim E." > wrote in message
a.net...
> In article >, "Cherie"
> <cedgeworthATcopper.net> says...
> > Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is
still
> > breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she
does
> > not we would do one of the following:
> > A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and
have
> > OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
> > induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
> > B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few
days
> > before my due date.
> >
> > Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I
had
> > such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that
again.
> > I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of
me
> > feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
> > position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he
was
> > transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he
was
> > 10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
> > heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
> > hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby
home.

> > My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am
currently
> > in:
> > Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?
> > Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?
> > If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if
we
> > have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?
> >
> > And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
> >

> I don't have a comment so much as a question. I was just curious as to
> what type of breech position your baby was in. Also, do they just not
> do vaginal deliveries anymore for *any* breech births? I have several
> relatives who were born vaginally butt first, but this was decades ago.
>
> -kim

She is head up, bottom down. I know 2 people who have delivered breech
babies, both of them had their children 10-30 years ago. I believe
currently most breech babies are born via c-section.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Ericka Kammerer
June 12th 04, 03:17 AM
Cherie wrote:

> Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is still
> breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she does
> not we would do one of the following:
> A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
> OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
> induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
> B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
> before my due date.
<snip>
> My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
> in:
> Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?

Mine didn't, but *many* babies turn on their own after
32 weeks. It's a bit early to worry.

Yes. See http://www.gentlebirth.org/prenatal/breech.htm

> If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
> have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?

Good grief. While there are times that external
versions are painful, your OBs recommended approach is
*VERY* interventionist. First, I'm not sure why he
recommends waiting until 38 weeks. The best results
are usually obtained in the 37th week (earlier and there's
too much chance of the baby flipping back; later and the
baby gets harder to turn). I *suspect* it has to do with
the fact that he's planning to induce you immediately
after the version, in which case having the baby further
along is good. HOWEVER, this *totally* seems like overkill
to me. Less than 7 percent of babies turn back after a
successful version in the 37th week. For *that*, you'd
want to go straight for an induction, especially given
that your body may well not be ready to go into labor?
That could be a fast trip to a c-section for an unsuccessful
induction.
External versions can be painful, and I don't mean
to pooh-pooh anyone who's had a painful external version
experience. They are not, however, guaranteed to be
painful. *Personally*, if the situation looked favorable
for a version, I would at least give it a try without
an epidural.
For comparison, here's my version experience:

I got a recommendation for the most experienced and
succesful "versions guy" in the area. I think that
helped a *lot*. I talked to him on the phone and explained
that I wanted to give it a try to do things the least
interventionist way possible and asked if he'd be willing
to do that (he was). I came in to the hospital (didn't
get admitted) and they got me in a room. They put on
a monitor for a while to make sure the baby seemed fine.
I declined an IV (and any other interventions, having
gotten the okay from the Dr.). A resident came in to
do a quick scan just to be sure the baby was still head
down. Then, we waited a long time (the Dr. was busy
with an emergency). Finally, the doctor and resident
arrived. He did a scan to check the position of the
baby, placenta, cord, etc. and see whether the situation
looked favorable (it did). He did an internal to check
how far down the baby was (not very engaged). He glopped
what seemed like most of a bottle of gel on my belly,
and then poured mineral oil over that (felt like a greased
pig ;-) He put his hands on my belly at the baby's head
and rump, and the resident had her hands behind. They
then turned the baby in one smooth movement and held
the baby there for a few seconds afterwards. I felt
a lot of pushing, but it wasn't any more painful than
some of the baby's more active gymnastics. It didn't
take any longer than 30 seconds, tops. After that,
they did another quick scan to make sure all looked
okay and monitored me for 20 minutes or so (they'd
normally monitor a bit longer, but things had gone
so easily that the Dr. didn't see a need and I wanted
to get the hell out of there). I still had to wait a
while because it took forever before a tech came up to
draw my blood (to look for Rh antibodies, because I'm
Rh-). I packed up and went home, to deliver just shy
of two weeks later in a quick and easy birth. (My
version was done a few days shy of 38 weeks.)

Now, if you ask me, an IV full of tocolytics,
an epidural, and an immediate induction would have been
waaaaaaay overkill for that. I understand that you
can't guarantee an easy version; however, if you go straight
for the high intervention plan, you deny yourself the
opportunity to go the easy route. You can always try
the easy way, and then if it gets too painful or doesn't
work, you can try with an epidural.
I would suggest that if you go for a version that
you find out who the best person is in your area. Doing
external versions is a skill, and many doctors aren't all
that experienced at them or very good at them. The guy
I went to frequently turns babies that other doctors
have tried, and failed, to turn. I think you are also
more likely to have an easy version if you go with
someone who is an expert at them.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
June 12th 04, 03:21 AM
Kim E. wrote:

> I don't have a comment so much as a question. I was just curious as to
> what type of breech position your baby was in. Also, do they just not
> do vaginal deliveries anymore for *any* breech births? I have several
> relatives who were born vaginally butt first, but this was decades ago.

It's getting very, very difficult to find practitioners
who will do vaginal breech births. Many midwives are forbidden
from doing them (risk their licenses if they do). Many doctors
rarely, if ever, do them, so they are relatively untrained
and inexperienced with them. Studies suggest that the risks
are not unreasonable with a frank breech, particularly in a
multip, but good luck finding someone who'll attend such a
birth (and I suppose one wouldn't really want someone
inexperienced doing it, since there are a lot of ways
to mess up a vaginal breech birth if you muck about too
much).
That's why I had my version at 37 weeks. I might
otherwise have waited to see if the baby turned later,
or even in labor, but my midwives couldn't have attended
my birth knowing the baby was breech.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Cherie
June 12th 04, 03:21 AM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Cherie" <cedgeworthATcopper.net> wrote in message
> > Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is
still
> > breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she
> does
> > not we would do one of the following:
> > A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and
have
> > OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
> > induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
> > B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few
days
> > before my due date.
> >
> > Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I
> had
> > such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that
> again.
> > I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of
me
> > feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
> > position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he
was
> > transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he
was
> > 10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
> > heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
> > hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby
> home.
> >
> > My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am
currently
> > in:
> > Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?
> > Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?
> > If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if
we
> > have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?
> >
> > And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
> > --
> > Cherie
> > mom to Jakob (22 months)
> > baby Grace EDD 8/6/2004
> >
> Have you considered doing a vaginal breech if the version fails? A
> practitioner who will do this is not that hard to find since you have
> already delivered vaginally.

Actually I have not thought about that. I just assumed most breech babies
were born via caesarian or it would be difficult to find a doctor who would
be willing to deliver. Isn't a breech considered a higher risk?

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 03:35 AM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> [...]
> version was done a few days shy of 38 weeks.)
>
> Now, if you ask me, an IV full of tocolytics,
> an epidural, and an immediate induction would have been
> waaaaaaay overkill for that. I understand that you
> can't guarantee an easy version; however, if you go straight
> for the high intervention plan, you deny yourself the
> opportunity to go the easy route. You can always try
> the easy way, and then if it gets too painful or doesn't
> work, you can try with an epidural.
> I would suggest that if you go for a version that
> you find out who the best person is in your area. Doing
> external versions is a skill, and many doctors aren't all
> that experienced at them or very good at them. The guy
> I went to frequently turns babies that other doctors
> have tried, and failed, to turn. I think you are also
> more likely to have an easy version if you go with

Thanks for your suggestions Ericka. And I agree that my doctor is the most
interventionist of all the doctors in his practice. I have been seeing him
since my very early 20s when I had a abnormal pap smear and was referred to
him for a biopsy and I feel very comfortable around him and would hate to
switch doctors. Unlike some of his other patients I have no problems voicing
my opinions and will definitely do so at my next appointment. : )
I appreciate your comments on your version, I don't know anyone who has been
in this situation so I am trying to get as much info as I can on my own. As
well being that I don't know anyone who has gone thru a version I was
unaware of what level of discomfort was involved, thanks for letting me know
its something that for some can be done with out epidurals. I have another
appointment with my OB in 2 weeks and I will bring up the info you stated
(37 weeks, no epidural, no induction, etc) and ask questions about it. He
pretty much just gave me a quick run down of my "options" and we didn't
really discuss further. The conversation was pretty quick and next time I
will bring DH along so I have a second set of ears.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Leslie
June 12th 04, 04:02 AM
Ericka said:

> It's getting very, very difficult to find practitioners
>who will do vaginal breech births.

When my first was breech, over 13 years ago, my OB did in fact perform vaginal
breech deliveries. He said he was one of only very few left in town who would
do them, and he would not do it for me (a first time mom), only for someone
with a "proven pelvis."

Leslie

Ericka Kammerer
June 12th 04, 04:07 AM
Cherie wrote:

> I have another
> appointment with my OB in 2 weeks and I will bring up the info you stated
> (37 weeks, no epidural, no induction, etc) and ask questions about it.

Probably the most controversial thing I requested
was no IV and no tocolytic drugs. It is common for them
to give tocolytic drugs in the IV to relax your uterus.
This isn't completely unreasonable, but I felt that
everything suggested that my situation was very favorable
for a version (baby not too big, everything in a good
position, baby not engaged, enough amniotic fluid, etc.)
and I wanted to give it a try without all the hoo-haw.
If it had become very painful, or if they'd had to work
a lot harder to do the version, I likely would have
agreed to back off and try again with tocolytics--
but obviously, it didn't come to that.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Leslie
June 12th 04, 04:08 AM
Cherie said:

>A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
>OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
>induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.

This is not typical procedure, AFAIK. I had an external version attempt at 38
weeks, but I was neither admitted to the hospital or given an epidural. And if
it had worked (it didn't) I was to go home and wait for natural labor. Don't
let him induce you. At 38 weeks you'll likely end up with a section anyway.

>B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
>before my due date.
>
>Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I had
>such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that again.
>I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of me
>feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
>position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he was
>transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he was
>10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
>heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
>hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby home.
>
>My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
>in:
>Did your baby turn on his/her own?

My second baby turned on his own one day before birth. Unfortunately, he
turned from head down to head up! I have a friend whose breech baby turned one
week before birth on her own.

If so at how many weeks?
>Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?

Lots of these--you'll find instructions on the site I believe Barbara
recommended. Basically, things that put your head down and your bottom up!
I've also heard of shining lights and playing radios down low to entice baby to
turn.

>If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
>have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?

It was NOT painful. It was uncomfortable. It certainly did not require an
epidural. It DID require me to try very hard to relax and do my breathing so I
would not tense up and provide my own resistance to the procedure.

>And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.

Good luck, Cherie. There are so many things I did not know about when my baby
was breech that I would try now in order to avoid a section. Oh, one last
thing--se a chiropractor. I think there is a maneuver they can sometimes do to
encourage turning.

Leslie

Cherie
June 12th 04, 04:42 AM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Cherie wrote:
>
> > I have another
> > appointment with my OB in 2 weeks and I will bring up the info you
stated
> > (37 weeks, no epidural, no induction, etc) and ask questions about it.
>
> Probably the most controversial thing I requested
> was no IV and no tocolytic drugs. It is common for them
> to give tocolytic drugs in the IV to relax your uterus.
> This isn't completely unreasonable, but I felt that
> everything suggested that my situation was very favorable
> for a version (baby not too big, everything in a good
> position, baby not engaged, enough amniotic fluid, etc.)
> and I wanted to give it a try without all the hoo-haw.
> If it had become very painful, or if they'd had to work
> a lot harder to do the version, I likely would have
> agreed to back off and try again with tocolytics--
> but obviously, it didn't come to that.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Glad to hear everything worked out so well for you. Hopefully for us the
baby will turn on her own and if not I hope it was as smooth as yours.

Maybe I just might stand on my head a few times over the next couple of
weeks. ; )

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 04:45 AM
"Dagny" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Cherie" <cedgeworthATcopper.net> wrote in message
> > Actually I have not thought about that. I just assumed most breech
babies
> > were born via caesarian or it would be difficult to find a doctor who
> would
> > be willing to deliver. Isn't a breech considered a higher risk?
> >
> Breech vaginal when you've already delivered vaginally is higher risk than
> vertex vaginal, a little. But as long as it's not a footling breech, IIRC
> the risk is comparable to cesarean section risk, which is of course higher
> than vertex vaginal.
>
> You should do some research on this independently. Your doctor is
unlikely
> to give you a straight story because of his malpractice carrier.
>
> Malpractice companies find breech to be riskier because it is easier to
sue
> for a damaged baby born breech -- whether or not the damage is from the
> breech -- than for a damaged baby born c-section. C-section is the
ultimate
> in intervention, and lawsuits generally are more successful when it's an
> accusation of didn't-do than an accusation that can be described as "well
> tried my best but it didn't work out." Of course the OBs "best" may not
be
> scientific or prudent and is usually highly interventive and causes more
> problems than would otherwise have occured, but the standard of care is
for
> them to continue mucking it up. So they will.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I definately have some research to
do on this subject. I had such a wonderful pregnancy & delivery with DS that
I had never even considered a breech baby with this pregnancy. Hopefully
everything will work out on its own.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 04:49 AM
"Leslie" > wrote in message
> [...]
> I've also heard of shining lights and playing radios down low to entice
baby to
> turn.
>
> >If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
> >have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?
>
> It was NOT painful. It was uncomfortable. It certainly did not require
an
> epidural. It DID require me to try very hard to relax and do my breathing
so I
> would not tense up and provide my own resistance to the procedure.
>

> >And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
>
> Good luck, Cherie. There are so many things I did not know about when my
baby
> was breech that I would try now in order to avoid a section. Oh, one last
> thing--se a chiropractor. I think there is a maneuver they can sometimes

Thanks for your comments Leslie. I definitely am concerned about inducing at
38 weeks. I have another appointment in 2 weeks, I will be exactly 34 weeks,
and if baby is still breech I will be asking a lot of questions.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 04:57 AM
<snip>
> >OB told me that the baby still has a chance to
> >> turn
>
> 97% chance to turn....by the way.

Those are very good statistics.

> >but if she does not we would do one of the following:
> >> A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural
> >> and have OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then
> >> would do an induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn
> >> again.
> >

> How do you feel about these options?
> did you ask your care provider why s/he is talking about all of these
> things being done before your EDD? What do they view as the risk of
> waiting until you go into labor?

I think he was just giving me his recommendations for what would happen if
the baby did not turn on her own. He did state that he was not yet
concerened as she still has plenty of time to turn on her own.

> Also...I know of many external versions that have been done without an
> epidural in place.

Yes I thought that was unusual, maybe he has a lot of patients that have no
tolerance for pain discomfort?? If this is a route we end up taking I will
definatley ask that the epidural not be placed.

> Did your care provider give you any other things to do to encourage
> baby to turn cephalic on your own? (not that you'd have to worry
> about that for at least another MONTH!!)

No he didn't. Again I was pretty surprised boy the whole situation, I knew
the baby was breech at previous appointment and I had not felt her turn.
Also I had not done any research on breech pregnancies so I had no questions
to ask, now at my next appoint at 34 weeks (in 2 weeks) I will be coming in
with a list of questions.

Again all hopes are that she will turn on her own and I KNOW she has plenty
of time to do that. But I did not go thru any of these concerns during
pregnancy with DS so I am a little concerned.

And thanks so much for your comments and suggestions I really appreciate
them. The more I know the better.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 04:59 AM
"Mary Gordon" > wrote in message
om...
> The stats I've seen say that about 20% of babies at 28 weeks are
> breech, and 15% at 32 weeks, but by term only 3-4% are still breech -
> so that means 75-80% of the time, a breech at 32 weeks will turn on
> its own.
>
> Does that make you feel any better? It ain't over yet!
>
> Mary G.

Those are good statistics and yes it does make me feel better. I know she
still has plenty of time but it is still in the back of my mind.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 05:01 AM
"Amy" > wrote in message
> This one was still breech at 33 weeks, and turned at some stage between
then
> & 35 weeks, had her head very high up & is now head down in a good
position.
> I took the homeopathic remedy pulsatilla on the advice of my midwife, and
> got down on my hands and knees with my bum in the air and scrubbed the
> kitchen floor. If nothing else, you get a clean kitchen floor ;-)

Well I definitely need to scrub my kitchen floor, hopefully that will work.
And your right if nothing else my kitchen floor is nice and clean.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 05:05 AM
"Marion Boulden" > wrote in message

> Cherie wrote:
>
> > Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is
still
> > breech.
>
> <snip>
>

> > And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
> > --
> > Cherie
> > mom to Jakob (22 months)
> > baby Grace EDD 8/6/2004
>
> Take a look at: http://www.spinningbabies.com/
>
> Marion
> edd 10/16/2004

Thanks for the link. I will definitely be doing those suggestions.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Amy
June 12th 04, 07:46 AM
This one was still breech at 33 weeks, and turned at some stage between then
& 35 weeks, had her head very high up & is now head down in a good position.
I took the homeopathic remedy pulsatilla on the advice of my midwife, and
got down on my hands and knees with my bum in the air and scrubbed the
kitchen floor. If nothing else, you get a clean kitchen floor ;-)

"Cherie" <cedgeworthATcopper.net> wrote in message
> Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is still
> breech. OB told me that the baby still has a chance to turn but if she
does
> not we would do one of the following:
> A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
> OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
> induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.
> B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
> before my due date.
>
> Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section. I
had
> such a wonderful delivery with DS and really want to experience that
again.
> I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of me
> feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
> position she is in. Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he was
> transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he was
> 10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
> heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
> hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby
home.

> My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
> in:
> Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?
> Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?
> If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
> have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?
>
> And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
> --
> Cherie
> mom to Jakob (22 months)
> baby Grace EDD 8/6/2004

Chotii
June 12th 04, 07:51 AM
"Leslie" > wrote in message

> Good luck, Cherie. There are so many things I did not know about when my
baby
> was breech that I would try now in order to avoid a section. Oh, one last
> thing--se a chiropractor. I think there is a maneuver they can sometimes
do to
> encourage turning.

It's called the Webster maneuver. You'll have to call around, a lot of
chiropractors don't do this one. Heck, *my* chiropractor doesn't (but I love
him anyway, he's one of only 3 D.C's in Washington State that uses the Blair
upper cervical technique, the gentlest one I've ever experienced.)

--angela

Mary Gordon
June 12th 04, 09:38 AM
The stats I've seen say that about 20% of babies at 28 weeks are
breech, and 15% at 32 weeks, but by term only 3-4% are still breech -
so that means 75-80% of the time, a breech at 32 weeks will turn on
its own.

Does that make you feel any better? It ain't over yet!

Mary G.

Dagny
June 12th 04, 12:33 PM
"Cherie" <cedgeworthATcopper.net> wrote in message
> Actually I have not thought about that. I just assumed most breech babies
> were born via caesarian or it would be difficult to find a doctor who
would
> be willing to deliver. Isn't a breech considered a higher risk?

Breech vaginal when you've already delivered vaginally is higher risk than
vertex vaginal, a little. But as long as it's not a footling breech, IIRC
the risk is comparable to cesarean section risk, which is of course higher
than vertex vaginal.

You should do some research on this independently. Your doctor is unlikely
to give you a straight story because of his malpractice carrier.

Malpractice companies find breech to be riskier because it is easier to sue
for a damaged baby born breech -- whether or not the damage is from the
breech -- than for a damaged baby born c-section. C-section is the ultimate
in intervention, and lawsuits generally are more successful when it's an
accusation of didn't-do than an accusation that can be described as "well I
tried my best but it didn't work out." Of course the OBs "best" may not be
scientific or prudent and is usually highly interventive and causes more
problems than would otherwise have occured, but the standard of care is for
them to continue mucking it up. So they will.

Marion Boulden
June 12th 04, 02:06 PM
Cherie wrote:

> Had my 32 week appointment today and everything was well but baby is still
> breech.

<snip>

> And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
> --
> Cherie
> mom to Jakob (22 months)
> baby Grace EDD 8/6/2004

Take a look at: http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Marion
edd 10/16/2004

Ericka Kammerer
June 12th 04, 03:54 PM
Cherie wrote:

> Yes I thought that was unusual, maybe he has a lot of patients that have no
> tolerance for pain discomfort??

I think it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When he
mentioned an epidural to you, wasn't your first thought
that it must be pretty darned painful if they did them
with epidurals? I think most women would just go forth
assuming that it was really painful, so an epidural would
be a good idea. Once they've got the epidural, they would
have no way of knowing if, in fact, the version didn't
hurt much at all! ;-) The nurses certainly thought I was
a weirdo not having an epidural, IV, tocolytics, induction,
etc.
I have heard stories from women who had painful
versions, so I do not deny that they exist. I think it's
also very likely that some versions are more difficult
to perform than others, depending on the geometry of the
situation.
I do think that the skill and experience of the
practitioner is a *major* factor here. I know you said
that you have a long-standing relationship with this
doctor and want to keep him, but I would consider treating
this as a case where you'd look for a specialist. If
you needed brain surgery, you wouldn't have your GP do
it--and you'd look for whoever had done the most of those
surgeries with the best success rate! I think this is
much the same. I'd ask your doctor how many of these
he's done, how frequently he's done them, and what his
success rate is. If he hasn't done many, he doesn't
do them very regularly, and his success rate is lower
than 70-75 percent, ask for a referral to someone who
specializes in them. If you don't feel comfortable
asking your doctor, call around to hospitals and midwives
and doulas and you'll probably find one or two names that
crop up consistently. You can have someone else do the
version and still have your doctor attend your delivery.
I had midwives and a backup OB for my last birth, but
when it came time for a version, I went to the person
everyone said was the best, and I think that had a lot
to do with how easy my version was. My midwives still
attended my delivery, and if there had been complications
I still would have gone with my original backup OB. I
don't think it's insulting at all to go with a specialist
for a specialized procedure.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Ericka Kammerer
June 12th 04, 03:56 PM
Chotii wrote:

> It's called the Webster maneuver. You'll have to call around, a lot of
> chiropractors don't do this one. Heck, *my* chiropractor doesn't (but I love
> him anyway, he's one of only 3 D.C's in Washington State that uses the Blair
> upper cervical technique, the gentlest one I've ever experienced.)

I did use a chiropractor trained in the Webster
maneuver. He was a delight, and he helped a lot with
my SPD, but unfortunately wasn't successful in turning
the baby. I'd try it again if I were in the same
situation--it certainly doesn't hurt to try!

Best wishes,
Ericka

nichole
June 12th 04, 04:07 PM
Ericka wrote:

<snip>
> External versions can be painful, and I don't mean
>to pooh-pooh anyone who's had a painful external version
>experience. They are not, however, guaranteed to be
>painful. *Personally*, if the situation looked favorable
>for a version, I would at least give it a try without

I had a failed version that I found painful at 38 weeks, it didn't stop me from
having another one a week later. I didn't have any pain medication with
either, but I was offered an epidural with my second. I guess my point is, if
it was *that* painful I wouldn't have done it again. it was more painful
emotionally because I was so disappointed that they failed.

they didn't even mention inducing if it worked, but I was seeing midwives.

nichole, oht, nak 6 month old salome
seen here
http://public.fotki.com/sealmyfate/salome-1/

Circe
June 12th 04, 04:34 PM
Chotii wrote:
> "Leslie" > wrote in message
>> Good luck, Cherie. There are so many things I did not know about
>> when my baby was breech that I would try now in order to avoid a
>> section. Oh, one last thing--se a chiropractor. I think there is
>> a maneuver they can sometimes do to encourage turning.
>
> It's called the Webster maneuver. You'll have to call around, a lot
> of chiropractors don't do this one. Heck, *my* chiropractor doesn't
> (but I love him anyway, he's one of only 3 D.C's in Washington
> State that uses the Blair upper cervical technique, the gentlest
> one I've ever experienced.)

And did my post, in which I mentioned moxibustion, fall into a black hole?
Cherie's at exactly the right stage in pregnancy for moxibustion to have a
chance of being successful. There's more information about moxibustion at
http://www.birthsource.com/proarticlefile/proarticle55.html (I'm not going
to retype my whole description).

Cherie
June 12th 04, 10:47 PM
"nichole" > wrote in message
> Ericka wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > External versions can be painful, and I don't mean
> >to pooh-pooh anyone who's had a painful external version
> >experience. They are not, however, guaranteed to be
> >painful. *Personally*, if the situation looked favorable
> >for a version, I would at least give it a try without
>
> I had a failed version that I found painful at 38 weeks, it didn't stop me
from
> having another one a week later. I didn't have any pain medication with
> either, but I was offered an epidural with my second. I guess my point
is, if
> it was *that* painful I wouldn't have done it again. it was more painful
> emotionally because I was so disappointed that they failed.
>
> they didn't even mention inducing if it worked, but I was seeing midwives.
>
> nichole, oht, nak 6 month old salome

Thanks Nichole for your comments.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 10:49 PM
"Circe" > wrote in message
> Chotii wrote:
> > "Leslie" > wrote in message
> >> Good luck, Cherie. There are so many things I did not know about
> >> when my baby was breech that I would try now in order to avoid a
> >> section. Oh, one last thing--se a chiropractor. I think there is
> >> a maneuver they can sometimes do to encourage turning.
> >
> > It's called the Webster maneuver. You'll have to call around, a lot
> > of chiropractors don't do this one. Heck, *my* chiropractor doesn't
> > (but I love him anyway, he's one of only 3 D.C's in Washington
> > State that uses the Blair upper cervical technique, the gentlest
> > one I've ever experienced.)
> >
> And did my post, in which I mentioned moxibustion, fall into a black hole?
> Cherie's at exactly the right stage in pregnancy for moxibustion to have a
> chance of being successful. There's more information about moxibustion at
> http://www.birthsource.com/proarticlefile/proarticle55.html (I'm not going
> to retype my whole description).

Strange I don't see your post...hmmm, I will goggle it and check out the
link you suggested.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Cherie
June 12th 04, 10:53 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Cherie wrote:
>
> > Yes I thought that was unusual, maybe he has a lot of patients that have
no
> > tolerance for pain discomfort??
>
> I think it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When he
> mentioned an epidural to you, wasn't your first thought
> that it must be pretty darned painful if they did them
> with epidurals? I think most women would just go forth
> assuming that it was really painful, so an epidural would
> be a good idea. Once they've got the epidural, they would
> have no way of knowing if, in fact, the version didn't
> hurt much at all! ;-) The nurses certainly thought I was
> a weirdo not having an epidural, IV, tocolytics, induction,
> etc.
> I have heard stories from women who had painful
> versions, so I do not deny that they exist. I think it's
> also very likely that some versions are more difficult
> to perform than others, depending on the geometry of the
> situation.

True. And yes my first thought when he told me an epidural, was my gosh that
must hurt worst than the actual birth of the child!!!

> I do think that the skill and experience of the
> practitioner is a *major* factor here. I know you said
> that you have a long-standing relationship with this
> doctor and want to keep him, but I would consider treating
> this as a case where you'd look for a specialist. If
> you needed brain surgery, you wouldn't have your GP do
> it--and you'd look for whoever had done the most of those
> surgeries with the best success rate! I think this is
> much the same. I'd ask your doctor how many of these
> he's done, how frequently he's done them, and what his
> success rate is. If he hasn't done many, he doesn't
> do them very regularly, and his success rate is lower
> than 70-75 percent, ask for a referral to someone who
> specializes in them. If you don't feel comfortable
> asking your doctor, call around to hospitals and midwives
> and doulas and you'll probably find one or two names that
> crop up consistently. You can have someone else do the
> version and still have your doctor attend your delivery.
> I had midwives and a backup OB for my last birth, but
> when it came time for a version, I went to the person
> everyone said was the best, and I think that had a lot
> to do with how easy my version was. My midwives still
> attended my delivery, and if there had been complications
> I still would have gone with my original backup OB. I
> don't think it's insulting at all to go with a specialist
> for a specialized procedure.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka

Now that is one question I did ask him, what was the success rate and he did
state 70-80%, which I thought to be good.

--
Cherie
mom to Jakob (22 months)

Ericka Kammerer
June 12th 04, 11:11 PM
Cherie wrote:

> Now that is one question I did ask him, what was the success rate and he did
> state 70-80%, which I thought to be good.

That is a good success rate, so that is definitely
reassuring.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Larry McMahan
June 15th 04, 01:30 AM
Cherie <cedgeworthATcopper.net> writes:

: A) At 38 weeks would be admitted into hospital, given an epidural and have
: OB manually turn baby. And if he is able to turn baby then would do an
: induction that same day to avoid having the baby turn again.

This part of his advice, seem in particular to be suspect. If your are
not ready to go into labor at 38 weeks, then scheduling the induction
right after the version just to make sure the baby does not turn back
is just trading one c-section for another. I don't like it.

That said, see more advice below.

: B) Let pregnancy take its course and just schedule a c-section a few days
: before my due date.

Well, even if you do this the baby may turn at the last minute. If you
do try to turn the baby and it fails, I would rate this as the avenue
of last resort, hopign the baby will turn.

: Of course I would like to do everything possible to avoid a c-section.

Good idea! :-)

: I also know that baby has plenty of time to turn on her own but part of me
: feels like she is not going too, she seems awfully comfortable in the
: position she is in.

There is a lot that you can do to turn the baby. First, I would suggest
you try the turning with yoga that is described on my webpage at
http://home.comcast.net/~l.mcmahan/
We did this at 34 weeks when Clara was transverse, and it worked like a
charm. Once you have the baby turned, you should do most all of your
sitting on the floor in the tailor position, and you should avoid
reclining on a couch or easy chair at all costs.

: Another concern I have is after the birth of DS he was
: transferred to the NICU and we were not able to take him home until he was
: 10 days old. I do not want to have to go thru that again, it was very
: heartbreaking to only be able to hold your child for 15 minutes every 4
: hours and to be discharged from the hospital without taking your baby home.

This sucks! Your best bet is to try to turn now using other methods,
and if that doesn't work turn at 37-38 weeks using external version (I
still don't see why they are usign a epidural for that. Can others
comment on that. Then using the tailor position and avoiding recining
to keep the baby turrned, NOT inducing at 38 weeks!

: My questions are for those that were in the same situation I am currently
: in:
: Did your baby turn on his/her own? If so at how many weeks?

No. We turned her at 34 weeks using yoga. But she was "only" transverse.

: Any positions I can do to encourage baby to turn on her own?

Yes. Yoga (shoulderstand) to do the turn, tailor position to keep her
turned.

: If you had to have the baby manually turned was it painful (OB said if we
: have to go this route I would receive an epidural)?

Someone else can answer this one.

: And thanks in advance everyone for your comments.
: --
: Cherie
: mom to Jakob (22 months)
: baby Grace EDD 8/6/2004

Good luck,
Larry

Melanie
June 15th 04, 09:24 PM
At my 36 week appointment after an internal was done, the dr said baby
was head down. I went into labor that saturday (I was 37 weeks exactly)
after my water broke. When I was fully dilated and already pushing, the
dr realized my baby was breeched coming down bum first. Since she was
already coming down the birth canal, the dr figured I had enough room to
deliver her vaginally. I pushed for another 20 minutes and had a
healthy baby girl. I was also told that not many doctors deliver breech
babies. I think the only way I avoided the c-section was that her
breech went unnoticed until I was already pushing. We were happy and
relieved everything turned out for the best.

Melanie
(mom of 8 1/2 week-old baby Rebecca)