PDA

View Full Version : Bowel movements

ChitaShines
June 13th 04, 12:14 AM
Is it normal for a breastfed 1-1/2 mo old to go several days without passing
stools? Our baby sometimes goes into a 3rd day without passing. We end up
having to stimulate her with the tip of a thermometer. We've done that
twice in the last several weeks, but feel that we shouldn't have to be doing
that to bring on a BM.

Mary W.
June 13th 04, 12:45 AM
ChitaShines wrote:
> Is it normal for a breastfed 1-1/2 mo old to go several days without passing
> stools? Our baby sometimes goes into a 3rd day without passing. We end up
> having to stimulate her with the tip of a thermometer. We've done that
> twice in the last several weeks, but feel that we shouldn't have to be doing
> that to bring on a BM.

If all the baby is getting is breast milk it is completely normal
for them to go several (up to 7-10!) days without a bowel movement.
It is also normal to have a bowel movement every feed (which is
what my daughter did). You do *not* have to stimulate your baby
with a thermometer.

Mary

Ericka Kammerer
June 13th 04, 01:52 AM
ChitaShines wrote:
> Is it normal for a breastfed 1-1/2 mo old to go several days without passing
> stools?

Yep--or even longer. Don't worry about it.

Best wishes,
Ericka

JennP
June 13th 04, 02:55 AM
"ChitaShines" > wrote in message
. com...
> Is it normal for a breastfed 1-1/2 mo old to go several days without
passing
> stools? Our baby sometimes goes into a 3rd day without passing. We end
up
> having to stimulate her with the tip of a thermometer. We've done that
> twice in the last several weeks, but feel that we shouldn't have to be
doing
> that to bring on a BM.

That's because it isn't necessary because it's totally normal! :)

Really, it's perfectly normal. My freind's bf baby would go *9* days between
bowel movements and my own son went about 4-5 days.

As long as when they go it isn't hard and dry then it's not consitpation.
Breastmilk is just so effiecient that there isn't all that much waste! Isn't
that great!

Put the thermometer away and enjoy the fact that you won't be changing so
many poopy diapers for a while. HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Samantha
June 13th 04, 05:00 PM
JennP wrote:

> Put the thermometer away and enjoy the fact that you won't be changing so
> many poopy diapers for a while. HTH

As others have said, perfectly normal. But when your baby goes...watch
out! You'll be changing more than a poopy diaper! ;-) DD will often
go through stages when she'll only have a movement every 5 days or so,
but when she goes, we change her diaper, her clothes, what she was
sitting on, and then she (and often I!) jump into the tub!

Samantha

Larry McMahan
June 15th 04, 01:35 AM
ChitaShines > writes:
: Is it normal for a breastfed 1-1/2 mo old to go several days without passing
: stools? Our baby sometimes goes into a 3rd day without passing. We end up
: having to stimulate her with the tip of a thermometer. We've done that
: twice in the last several weeks, but feel that we shouldn't have to be doing
: that to bring on a BM.

You don't need to do that at all! Our son would regularly go 5 to 6 days
between poops, and would they be blow-outs. Don't worry, be happy. :-0

Larry