PDA

View Full Version : speaking of car accidents...

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 13th 04, 12:30 AM
Some of you, here, are bad luck! ;-) No, I did not have an accident,
but I sure came close! Picture this: me, in my car, following two
mini-vans that were driving closely together. The one directly in front
of me is swerving back and forth between the left and right lanes, so I
figure that that's the one to watch. We eventually get to a spot where
I must make a lane change in order to keep going where I wanted to go,
so I move to the right lane (on this particular road, the left lane
becomes a turning lane and the right lane, which is mostly a parking
lane, suddenly becomes the through lane - yes, this is a stupid design,
but we're stuck with it). We were all in the left lane to start with -
well that one mini-van was mostly in the left lane so I count it as
being in the left lane. After make my lane change, I see that the
swerving mini-van has temporarily stabilized, so I go for it (both
mini-vans were moving kind of slowly, so I wanted to get up to normal
speed). As soon as I get nose to nose with it, take a guess at what
happens... The *other* mini-van driver decides to make a right hand
turn from the left lane. Could this get worse? Yes, because they made
the turn into a driveway, so they slowed right down so as to reduce the
impact of the initial bump.

Let's just say that my ABS once again got a work out (I can't believe
how many times I've had that ABS kick in, yet when I bought the car I
figured I would have no use for ABS and just got it anyway because it
seemed like a nice resale feature). I can't believe it; I almost
t-boned that stupid b&tch. ;-) I saw her the whole time, too. She
never looked, not even once. The passengers in the van were all kids
and they weren't looking, either. Anyway, this activity freaked the
driver of the other mini-van out so much that they stopped in the middle
of the road and just sat there for a few seconds. Personally, I was on
my way to pick up DH so I just kept going as soon as the way cleared
again, although I wish I had thought to honk the horn (that *always*
happens - I barely make it out of something and never think to honk the
horn until later, and the reason why I don't honk it *during* is because
I have both hands on the wheel and I'm much more focussed on driving
than on payback).

On the way back (which was just a few minutes later), I looked for the
van and never found it. For this reason, I figure that this person was
driving a bunch of kids home and what likely happened was that one of
the kids said "OK my house is right... HERE HERE THAT ONE!" No excuse,
of course, but I bet that it's at least the *explanation*. Anyway, I'm
just glad I hadn't pulled up any sooner, otherwise I would have been
sideswiped.

The one downfall about ABS got reinforced in my mind, though: it's too
silent! That woman never knew what almost hit her. ;-) If I had
achieved 4 wheel lock up, she would have at least noticed...

Jody Pellerin
June 13th 04, 06:01 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> horn until later, and the reason why I don't honk it *during* is because
> I have both hands on the wheel and I'm much more focussed on driving
> than on payback).
>
> On the way back (which was just a few minutes later), I looked for the
> van and never found it. For this reason, I figure that this person was
> driving a bunch of kids home and what likely happened was that one of
> the kids said "OK my house is right... HERE HERE THAT ONE!" No excuse,
> of course, but I bet that it's at least the *explanation*. Anyway, I'm
> just glad I hadn't pulled up any sooner, otherwise I would have been
> sideswiped.
>
> The one downfall about ABS got reinforced in my mind, though: it's too
> silent! That woman never knew what almost hit her. ;-) If I had
> achieved 4 wheel lock up, she would have at least noticed...

Oh my Lord Vicky! Thank God you didn't get into an accident! That must
have been scary. I imagine you were shaken up afterwards. Did you tell
your husband?

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 14th 04, 04:27 PM
Jody Pellerin wrote:
> Oh my Lord Vicky! Thank God you didn't get into an accident! That must
> have been scary. I imagine you were shaken up afterwards.

Not really. ;-) Pregnancy hormones are great! Actually, I have seen
so much while on the road (the 401 in Toronto is an, um, *experience*)
that I just don't get bothered anymore unless something actually
happens. I guess I've been desensitized.

Did you tell
> your husband?

Well of course! ;-) It was the story of the day! I'm just glad that
he wasn't with me. I'm glad no one was with me (especially the dogs,
who I admit are never tied up and who would therefore have gone flying).
I would hate to spread the desensitization around, if you know what I
mean.

Ilse Witch
June 14th 04, 08:10 PM
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:30:13 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

> The one downfall about ABS got reinforced in my mind, though: it's too
> silent! That woman never knew what almost hit her. ;-) If I had
> achieved 4 wheel lock up, she would have at least noticed...

I'm glad you got out safe! At least for me, breaking heavily is always
accompanied by hitting the horn. I've made a reflex of it ;)

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 15th 04, 02:48 AM
Ilse Witch wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:30:13 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:
>

>>The one downfall about ABS got reinforced in my mind, though: it's too
>>silent! That woman never knew what almost hit her. ;-) If I had
>>achieved 4 wheel lock up, she would have at least noticed...
>

> I'm glad you got out safe! At least for me, breaking heavily is always
> accompanied by hitting the horn. I've made a reflex of it ;)

I wish I could do that, but I've just never been able to train myself
into being used to even having a horn in the first place. ;-) The
first car I ever drove, which was also the one I learned on, was a very
illegal, heavily modified kind of thing that they didn't bother
installing a horn on (my mother's boyfriend's idea, even though it was
her car).