PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please, ( kinda OT )

Christine
June 16th 04, 10:49 PM
You all might remember the problems I had through my pregnancy with my
OB,,,,she was HORRIBLE...NO bed side manners what so
ever!!!!!...anyhow, when I had Chloe, I really lucked out,,,,she was not
on duty that day..;-))
she had someone covering for her..........so HE did the C-Sec,,,,,he was
soooooo wonderful,,,,I cant believe how nice he was....the question is
this: do you think he would accept me as a patient? would he even
remember me?
( I guess I would HAVE to tell him that he gave me a C-sec...lol.....but
has anyone ever changed dr's this way...I want to change to HIM!
I will NOT be having anymore children as DH made an appointment for a
vastectomy =91=91 without even talking it over with me first ) but that
is another post!!!

but it would be just for routine visits,,,
( knock on wood ) routine visits.lol...

I dont care what my OB NOW thinks, but I dont want to get shot down from
this new Dr. because they ARE friends........they do NOT work together
but they do work in the same hospital, city, etc...but NOT the same
practice, they both have there own..I guess they cover for each other!!!
what do you all think?

TYIA...;-)))....christine

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=3D9T8S0V9F=
5G

Nan
June 16th 04, 11:01 PM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:49:30 -0400, (Christine)
wrote:

>You all might remember the problems I had through my pregnancy with my
>OB,,,,she was HORRIBLE...NO bed side manners what so
>ever!!!!!...anyhow, when I had Chloe, I really lucked out,,,,she was not
>on duty that day..;-))
>she had someone covering for her..........so HE did the C-Sec,,,,,he was
>soooooo wonderful,,,,I cant believe how nice he was....the question is
>this: do you think he would accept me as a patient? would he even
>remember me?

You'd have to ask him if he's willing to take you on. If he says yes,
all you need to do is stop going to your old doc, and have your
records transferred.
I fired one OB and hired another from the same practice after my
accident, so I'm sure it's do-able as long as he's taking new
patients.

Nan

Nancy P
June 16th 04, 11:11 PM
"Christine" > wrote in message
I dont care what my OB NOW thinks, but I dont want to get shot down from
this new Dr. because they ARE friends........they do NOT work together
but they do work in the same hospital, city, etc...but NOT the same
practice, they both have there own..I guess they cover for each other!!!
what do you all think?

TYIA...;-)))....christine

I think that the next time you need gynecological care, you call the new
doctor's office and ask if he's taking new patients. If he is, you make an
appointment and show up. People change doctors all the time, I doubt anyone
will take it personally. Its not like he's going to see you, say, "Oh,
you're dr. so and so's patient, I can't treat you."

Nancy

Sophie
June 16th 04, 11:26 PM
>You all might remember the problems I had through my pregnancy with my
>OB,,,,she was HORRIBLE...NO bed side manners what so
>ever!!!!!...anyhow, when I had Chloe, I really lucked out,,,,she was not
>on duty that day..;-))
>she had someone covering for her..........so HE did the C-Sec,,,,,he was
>soooooo wonderful,,,,I cant believe how nice he was....the question is
>this: do you think he would accept me as a patient? would he even
>remember me?
>( I guess I would HAVE to tell him that he gave me a C-sec...lol.....but
>has anyone ever changed dr's this way...I want to change to HIM!

Don't think it matters if he remembers you, although that would be nice :)
Like the other replies said, call and see if he's taking new patients. No
big deal I don't think.

>I will NOT be having anymore children as DH made an appointment for a
>vastectomy '' without even talking it over with me first ) but that
>is another post!!!

Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not have
to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.

Nan
June 16th 04, 11:31 PM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:26:47 -0400, "Sophie" >
wrote:

>Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
>still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
>vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not have
>to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.

I thought it was silly that I had to be consulted when dh and I
planned for him to get a vas. It's his body, not mine, and if I'm
going to support pro-choice for women, the same should apply to men.

Nan

Clisby
June 16th 04, 11:39 PM
Sophie wrote:

> Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
> still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
> vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not have
> to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.

Why should the spouse have to be consulted? Seems to me that should be
an individual's decision.

Clisby

Tori M.
June 17th 04, 12:08 AM
I would imagine that if say the husband had 3 kids by a differant
relationship then after you both got married he had a vacectamy and did not
tell his wife she would think that it was her fault for not being able to
have kids and that could cause some major problems. I have heard of states
that allow you to veto (wrong word I know when they say a marrage never
happened) a marrage if you knew you could not have kids and did not inform
your spouse.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
"Clisby" > wrote in message

> Sophie wrote:
>

> > Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
> > still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
> > vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not
have
> > to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.
> >

> Why should the spouse have to be consulted? Seems to me that should be
> an individual's decision.
>
> Clisby

Carol Ann
June 17th 04, 01:13 AM
> You all might remember the problems I had through my pregnancy with my
> OB,,,,she was HORRIBLE...NO bed side manners what so
> ever!!!!!...anyhow, when I had Chloe, I really lucked out,,,,she was not
> on duty that day..;-))
> she had someone covering for her..........so HE did the C-Sec,,,,,he was
> soooooo wonderful,,,,I cant believe how nice he was....the question is
> this: do you think he would accept me as a patient? would he even
> remember me?
> ( I guess I would HAVE to tell him that he gave me a C-sec...lol.....but
> has anyone ever changed dr's this way...I want to change to HIM!
> I will NOT be having anymore children as DH made an appointment for a
> vastectomy '' without even talking it over with me first ) but that
> is another post!!!
>
> but it would be just for routine visits,,,
> ( knock on wood ) routine visits.lol...
>
> I dont care what my OB NOW thinks, but I dont want to get shot down from
> this new Dr. because they ARE friends........they do NOT work together
> but they do work in the same hospital, city, etc...but NOT the same
> practice, they both have there own..I guess they cover for each other!!!
> what do you all think?
>
> TYIA...;-)))....christine
>
> http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=9T8S0V9F5G

I don't think she would even notice. Just don't make any additional
appointments with her.

Who did your followup exam? Now is a good time to just call his office and
make the appointment stating it is your "follow up" or 2 month check up.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/28zno <---Pictures!

Sophie
June 17th 04, 01:28 AM
"Clisby" > wrote in message

> Sophie wrote:
>

> > Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
> > still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
> > vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not
have
> > to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.
> >

> Why should the spouse have to be consulted? Seems to me that should be
> an individual's decision.
>
> Clisby

So the # of kids a married couple has has nothing to do with the other
spouse?

Sophie
June 17th 04, 01:29 AM
"Nan" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:26:47 -0400, "Sophie" >
> wrote:
>
> >Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
> >still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
> >vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not
have
> >to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.
>
> I thought it was silly that I had to be consulted when dh and I
> planned for him to get a vas. It's his body, not mine, and if I'm
> going to support pro-choice for women, the same should apply to men.
>
> Nan

JMO but I think if you're talking about a married couple having more kids
(or not) the decision should involve both people.

Nan
June 17th 04, 01:47 AM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:29:18 -0400, "Sophie" >
wrote:

>"Nan" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:26:47 -0400, "Sophie" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Oh no, we just had this come up on a large family board I post to. She
>> >still wants kids (I think they have 3) and he doesn't. So he had a
>> >vasectomy. Apparently they live in a state where the spouse does not
>have
>> >to be consulted AT ALL. I don't get that.
>>
>> I thought it was silly that I had to be consulted when dh and I
>> planned for him to get a vas. It's his body, not mine, and if I'm
>> going to support pro-choice for women, the same should apply to men.
>>
>> Nan
>
>JMO but I think if you're talking about a married couple having more kids
>(or not) the decision should involve both people.

For the most part, I agree that major things should be discussed
between both. As far as it being *required*, I have an issue with
that.

Nan

Kathy Cole
June 17th 04, 03:52 AM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:28:01 -0400, "Sophie" >
wrote:

> So the # of kids a married couple has has nothing to do with the other
> spouse?

Ultimately unless both members of the couple agree on increasing the
number, there shouldn't be more babies.

I don't think it's fair to skip discussion of what the number is and go
straight to surgery; each member of the couple owes it to their
relationship to talk over such a major issue. From my perspective,
preempting any discussion is a sign of trouble in the relationship.

Alternatively, maybe extensive discussions have occurred and the couple
is at the going around in circles stage because there's a lack of
acceptance that one member is not interested in creating additional
kids; I could understand someone deciding further discussion was
pointless and formalizing the decision that person has made by
scheduling the surgery. Then the other partner needs to decide whether
he or she will prioritize potential additional kid(s) over their couple
relationship (and whatever kids, if any, they already have).

Naomi Pardue
June 17th 04, 02:14 PM
>I would imagine that if say the husband had 3 kids by a differant
>relationship then after you both got married he had a vacectamy and did not
>tell his wife she would think that it was her fault for not being able to
>have kids and that could cause some major problems.

Ummm... just because the doctor doesn't tell the spouse, doesn't mean that
that patient won't. (And if a man has a vasectomy and doesn't bother to tell
his wife, I'd say that that couple already had major issues between them and
the marriage isn't going to last long anyway.)

> I have heard of states
>that allow you to veto (wrong word I know when they say a marrage never
>happened) a marrage if you knew you could not have kids and did not inform

The word is annul.

Naomi

Naomi Pardue
June 17th 04, 02:16 PM
>So the # of kids a married couple has has nothing to do with the other
>spouse?

Of course it does. But a person does not need his/her spouse's permission to
have surgery of any kind. ANd if one half of the couple is done having kids, I
think the other half needs to respect that choice, since BOTH parents are
involved in the raising of said children.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Leslie
June 17th 04, 02:58 PM
Naomi said:

>ANd if one half of the couple is done having kids, I
>think the other half needs to respect that choice, since BOTH parents are
>involved in the raising of said children.

ITA. BUT, people's mind's do change. I think it's wrong to make the decision
a permanent one if one half of the couple would still like more children.

Leslie

Tori M.
June 17th 04, 04:58 PM
> The word is annul.
>
> Naomi
Thank you soooo much.. I was sitting here for like 5 minutes trying to think
of that stupid word... I think it is a pregnancy brain thing;)

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Daye
June 17th 04, 09:21 PM
On 17 Jun 2004 13:16:41 GMT, (Naomi Pardue)
wrote:

>Of course it does. But a person does not need his/her spouse's permission to
>have surgery of any kind

This is in Australia, so YMMV. When my MIL had her tubal in about
1979, she had to get a paper signed by her husband saying that he
agreed (or allowed or permitted) the surgery. MIL was not impressed.

When I wanted mine done, I was discussing this with the OB. My DH was
at the appointment with me. The OB asked my husband if he was okay
with it. He didn't have to sign anything, but he was asked. I am not
sure what would have happened if DH had said, "I don't want her to
have a tubal."

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold

Naomi Pardue
June 17th 04, 10:57 PM
>>ANd if one half of the couple is done having kids, I
>>think the other half needs to respect that choice, since BOTH parents are
>>involved in the raising of said children.

>ITA. BUT, people's mind's do change. I think it's wrong to make the
>decision
>a permanent one if one half of the couple would still like more children.

True. However, this is still an issue to be worked out between the two halves
of the couple. The doctor doesn't have a say in the matter, and has no right
to inform the other spouse/require permission from the other spouse if the
patient doesn't wish it.