PDA

View Full Version : A line is a line, right?

Someone
June 17th 04, 03:44 AM
I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
positives".

Thanks in advance.

Unadulterated Me
June 17th 04, 03:50 AM
Someone wrote:

> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".
>
> Thanks in advance.

I think from reading here the Discover picks up at 3 day's before your
due period and at any time of day, so yup a lines a line. I'll start
knitting the booties ;-)

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 17th 04, 03:56 AM
Someone wrote:

> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".
>
> Thanks in advance.

False positives aren't very common, that I know of. AFAIK, a line is a
line, but it's only reliable if you look at it within the prescribed
amount of time. Good luck! Perhaps try again in two or three days?

Someone
June 17th 04, 04:18 AM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:56:24 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk
> wrote:

>Someone wrote:
>
>> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
>> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
>> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
>> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
>> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
>> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
>> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
>> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
>> positives".
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
>False positives aren't very common, that I know of. AFAIK, a line is a
>line, but it's only reliable if you look at it within the prescribed
>amount of time. Good luck! Perhaps try again in two or three days?

The packet insert says that a positive result is positive for up to 48
hours and after that it might disappear, anything that appears
negative in the first 10 minutes should be considered negative no
matter what happens after that. This was definitely a faint positive
within the first 5 minutes although it didn't get any darker after it
initially appeared.

I had planned to retake it in a couple of days if no sign of AF, I
don't particularly want to freak out DH with a faint positive if it
turns out to be wrong
..

ModernMiko
June 17th 04, 04:33 AM
"Someone" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:56:24 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk
> > wrote:
>
> >Someone wrote:
> >
> >> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> >> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> >> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> >> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> >> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> >> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> >> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> >> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> >> positives".
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >
> >False positives aren't very common, that I know of. AFAIK, a line is a
> >line, but it's only reliable if you look at it within the prescribed
> >amount of time. Good luck! Perhaps try again in two or three days?
>
> The packet insert says that a positive result is positive for up to 48
> hours and after that it might disappear, anything that appears
> negative in the first 10 minutes should be considered negative no
> matter what happens after that. This was definitely a faint positive
> within the first 5 minutes although it didn't get any darker after it
> initially appeared.
>
> I had planned to retake it in a couple of days if no sign of AF, I
> don't particularly want to freak out DH with a faint positive if it
> turns out to be wrong

This little one was a faint positive on the first test (done the day AF was
due). Then stronger positive the next morning. So far so good :-) 15 weeks,
4 days (I think - I'm rather tired)

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Jody Pellerin
June 17th 04, 03:52 PM
Someone > wrote in message >...
> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".
>
> Thanks in advance.

I once had something similar happen. It wasn't the same brand of test
but a faint line appeared, very very faint like yours. You had to have
very good lightening to see it. However, it was wrong. I wasn't
pregnant.

False positives are rare but it can happen.

Elle
June 17th 04, 07:49 PM
Someone > wrote in message >...
> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yep a line is a line. However, I have had faint lines with ectopics
and also with early miscarriage. Then again I've had a dark line then
miscarried. So mileage always varies.

There is also the matter of evaporation lines. I'm not sure if the
kind of test you used is known for them.

After a few days you'll know one way or the other. I hope you get the
outcome you want!

Elle

Kirsty
June 18th 04, 02:54 AM
Someone > wrote in message >...
> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".
>
> Thanks in advance.

<delurks>

Back in July 2003 I got line which was just as faint as yours, at
about the same time in my cycle. A day later the line was as dark as
anything, and I now have a very healthy and happy nine-week old baby!
Usually, a line really is a line.

Cheers
KF, mummy to DD born 13 April 2004.

Cathy
June 18th 04, 03:03 AM
Someone wrote:
> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".
>
> Thanks in advance.

I got a very faint line, which I wasn't sure meant positive. I showed it to
a midwife who said it was positive. And the blood tests I had done that day
showed it was positive. Good luck - I'm guessing you want it to be
positive.

Cathy
EDD 8 Dec 04

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 18th 04, 04:13 AM
Someone wrote:

> The packet insert says that a positive result is positive for up to 48
> hours and after that it might disappear, anything that appears
> negative in the first 10 minutes should be considered negative no
> matter what happens after that. This was definitely a faint positive
> within the first 5 minutes although it didn't get any darker after it
> initially appeared.

They *can* disappear! It's weird! The tests I used didn't say this on
the package insert, but the lines definitely faded over a couple of
days. They were quite dark to begin with, so they never faded
completely, but I imagine that I faint line could disappear completely.
I would bet that it would take even a faint line a couple of days to
disappear, though.

> I had planned to retake it in a couple of days if no sign of AF, I
> don't particularly want to freak out DH with a faint positive if it
> turns out to be wrong
> ..

Well good luck to you!

KatoKirk
June 18th 04, 01:51 PM
A line is a line. I took a test in the afternoon and it was very faint. I
decided to take 2 more tests the next day with first morning urine, which is
more concentrated. And both came up VERY dark & VERY positive. I had it
confirmed the next day at the doctors and I am 7 weeks 1 day today.

Kirsten 7w1d
little kicker
edd 2/4/05

She's A Goddess
June 18th 04, 08:10 PM
"Someone" > wrote in message
> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> positives".

My 10 and 11 dpo tests were this way. Much clearer a day later each time
and no longer faint by 13 dpo. Those both turned into bouncing babies.
Good luck with this surprise. I'm guessing you'll do well with it after the
shock settles, and so will DH.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 3/4 years) and O. Boy (11 months)

Cheryl
June 19th 04, 02:23 AM
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:10:48 GMT, "She's A Goddess"
> wrote:

>"Someone" > wrote in message
>> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
>> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
>> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
>> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
>> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
>> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
>> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
>> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
>> positives".
>
>My 10 and 11 dpo tests were this way. Much clearer a day later each time
>and no longer faint by 13 dpo. Those both turned into bouncing babies.
>Good luck with this surprise. I'm guessing you'll do well with it after the
>shock settles, and so will DH.

Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive. I'm not
sure how DH will react to the news since we weren't talking about TTC
until Dec at the earliest and I can't tell him until the end of next
week. This is not really a good time for our family for various
reasons but if this baby wants to join our family now I am happy about
it.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)

Not My Real Name
June 19th 04, 03:35 AM
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:10:48 GMT, "She's A Goddess"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Someone" > wrote in message
> >> I'm 11dpo today. I did a test about midmorning and it's come up
> >> positive but only very faintly. It's a Discover One-step, and the
> >> positive line is so faint that I have to take it into the sunlight to
> >> see it, artificial light seems to blank it out. Now I'm not sure how
> >> I feel about this (which is why I'm semi-incognito, I don't mind if
> >> people work out who I am but I don't really want to advertise yet) so
> >> rather than hearing "congrats, you're pregnant" I would rather hear
> >> about people's experiences with chemical pregnancies and "false
> >> positives".
> >
> >My 10 and 11 dpo tests were this way. Much clearer a day later each time
> >and no longer faint by 13 dpo. Those both turned into bouncing babies.
> >Good luck with this surprise. I'm guessing you'll do well with it after
the
> >shock settles, and so will DH.
>
> Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
> closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive.

Congrats, I suppose! Good luck with telling your DH!

(I had no idea who was posting, btw!)

--
-Sara:)
Mommy to DD, 27 months

Sophie
June 19th 04, 01:49 PM
> Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
> closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive. I'm not
> sure how DH will react to the news since we weren't talking about TTC
> until Dec at the earliest and I can't tell him until the end of next
> week. This is not really a good time for our family for various
> reasons but if this baby wants to join our family now I am happy about
> it.
>
> --
> Cheryl
> Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
> Mischief (30 Jul 02)
> + someone unexpected due Feb 05

Aaaaahhhh!!!! I thought you were done with 3 for some reason.

Congrats!!

Leslie
June 20th 04, 05:15 AM
Congratulations, Cheryl!

Leslie

She's A Goddess
June 20th 04, 11:35 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
> closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive. I'm not
> sure how DH will react to the news since we weren't talking about TTC
> until Dec at the earliest and I can't tell him until the end of next
> week. This is not really a good time for our family for various
> reasons but if this baby wants to join our family now I am happy about
> it.

Yeah, I did. But I didn't give you away ;) Honestly, from our conversation
about it a week or so back I'd been wondering about you and then when this
post popped up the intuition hit. A look at the headers showed a .au
address and I pretty much assumed.

Congratulations and many hopes for a happy and uncomplicated 40 weeks.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 3/4 years) and O. Boy (11 months)

Cheryl
June 21st 04, 02:28 AM
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:35:27 GMT, "She's A Goddess"
> wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
>> Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
>> closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive. I'm not
>> sure how DH will react to the news since we weren't talking about TTC
>> until Dec at the earliest and I can't tell him until the end of next
>> week. This is not really a good time for our family for various
>> reasons but if this baby wants to join our family now I am happy about
>> it.
>
>Yeah, I did. But I didn't give you away ;) Honestly, from our conversation
>about it a week or so back I'd been wondering about you and then when this
>post popped up the intuition hit. A look at the headers showed a .au
>address and I pretty much assumed.
>
>Congratulations and many hopes for a happy and uncomplicated 40 weeks.

40 weeks! That would be the longest pregnancy I've had ;) Thanks
Rhiannon.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Mischief (30 Jul 02)
+ someone unexpected due Feb 05

Cheryl
June 21st 04, 02:29 AM
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:35:05 -0400, "Not My Real Name"
> wrote:

>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:10:48 GMT, "She's A Goddess"
>> > wrote:

>> >My 10 and 11 dpo tests were this way. Much clearer a day later each time
>> >and no longer faint by 13 dpo. Those both turned into bouncing babies.
>> >Good luck with this surprise. I'm guessing you'll do well with it after
>the
>> >shock settles, and so will DH.
>>
>> Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
>> closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive.
>
>Congrats, I suppose! Good luck with telling your DH!
>
>(I had no idea who was posting, btw!)

Thank you Sara.
--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Mischief (30 Jul 02)
+ someone unexpected due Feb 05

Cheryl
June 21st 04, 02:30 AM
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:49:41 -0400, "Sophie" >
wrote:

>> Ha, you guessed who I am as well :) OK, I may as well come out of the
>> closet, this morning's HPT was pretty definitely positive. I'm not
>> sure how DH will react to the news since we weren't talking about TTC
>> until Dec at the earliest and I can't tell him until the end of next
>> week. This is not really a good time for our family for various
>> reasons but if this baby wants to join our family now I am happy about
>> it.

>Aaaaahhhh!!!! I thought you were done with 3 for some reason.
>
>Congrats!!

Thanks Sophie. I was always thinking 1 more but I had to convince DH.
He came around when he came back from Iraq last year and had missed so
much of Mischief's babyhood but he wanted to wait a while longer.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Mischief (30 Jul 02)
+ someone unexpected due Feb 05

Cheryl
June 21st 04, 02:31 AM
On 20 Jun 2004 04:15:29 GMT, (Leslie) wrote:

>Congratulations, Cheryl!

Thanks Leslie.