PDA

View Full Version : home made disposable baby wipes

ted
June 17th 04, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know how to make them?

Thanks.

Sandi
June 17th 04, 04:36 PM
"ted" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know how to make them?
>
> Thanks.

Here's a couple of "recipes" I found a few years ago. I don't know how well
they work as I've never used them.

Recipe 1
You will need:
10 cup container (ex: rubbermaid, w/lid)
1/2 roll of Bounty paper towels
2 tbls of baby oil
2 tbls of baby bath
2 cups of water
Cut roll of paper towells in half, remove center cardboard, mix liquid
ingredients, pour on top of paper towels, pull first towel up. Each roll of
towels makes 2 containers of wipes, which lasts aprx. 3 weeks.
I have found that if I let them sit for about 1 hour all the liquid has
enough time to absorb the entire 1/2 roll. I also have tried several brands
of heavy duty paper towels, and have found that Bounty expands when wet and
the others seem to shrivel up. Remember do not shake the liquid, it will
foam up.

----
Recipe 2
No more expensive baby wipes! Here is a great recipe.
1-roll of Bounty papertowels cut in half & cardboard removed
2-cups water
2-Tablespoons each baby bath and lotion
1-plastic bowl (about 6 cup capacity-with lid)
Bring water to boil and add baby bath and lotion. place one half of paper
towel roll into plastic container, and pour solution over paper towels. Once
cool, pull your "wipes" from the center of the roll. keep sealed when not in
use to prevent evaporation.

Hope these work for you!

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3 1/2

Tori M.
June 17th 04, 04:38 PM
1 package cloth-like paper towels (not the cheapest papery type)
2 cups hot water, boiled
1 tablespoon baby bath soap or baby shampoo
1 tablespoon oil (baby oil, mineral oil, massage oil)
1 tablespoon lotion (baby lotion or regular)
1 tablespoon white vinegar (to inhibit mold)
1. Saw the paper towels in half lengthwise with a serrated kitchen
knife (not your best one ... this can't be "good" for it). Mix the hot water
and following ingredients:
2. Put the half roll in a plastic container that has a lid,
Tupperware-type, empty roll-type baby wipe container, etc.
3. Shredded side down -- I pick as much of the shredded paper off as
I can -- otherwise you leave "lint balls" on your baby's bum.
4. Pour the water solution over the roll.
5. (Don't worry about the cardboard tube.) Let sit about 5 minutes,
then turn upside down for 5 more minutes to saturate the roll.
6. Now the cardboard tube will pull out easily.
7. Pull a "wipe" from the center.
8. I make one roll at a time and wash the container well between
uses. (Note: Mold can be an issue. Suggestions include using Johnson &
Johnson soap or 4 drops of tea tree oil to inhibit mold.)

Tori this is from http://www.recipezaar.com

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04
"ted" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know how to make them?
>
> Thanks.

Sophie
June 17th 04, 04:44 PM
> 1 package cloth-like paper towels (not the cheapest papery type)
> 2 cups hot water, boiled
> 1 tablespoon baby bath soap or baby shampoo
> 1 tablespoon oil (baby oil, mineral oil, massage oil)
> 1 tablespoon lotion (baby lotion or regular)
> 1 tablespoon white vinegar (to inhibit mold)
> 1. Saw the paper towels in half lengthwise with a serrated kitchen
> knife (not your best one ... this can't be "good" for it). Mix the hot
water
> and following ingredients:
> 2. Put the half roll in a plastic container that has a lid,
> Tupperware-type, empty roll-type baby wipe container, etc.
> 3. Shredded side down -- I pick as much of the shredded paper off
as
> I can -- otherwise you leave "lint balls" on your baby's bum.
> 4. Pour the water solution over the roll.
> 5. (Don't worry about the cardboard tube.) Let sit about 5 minutes,
> then turn upside down for 5 more minutes to saturate the roll.
> 6. Now the cardboard tube will pull out easily.
> 7. Pull a "wipe" from the center.
> 8. I make one roll at a time and wash the container well between
> uses. (Note: Mold can be an issue. Suggestions include using Johnson &
> Johnson soap or 4 drops of tea tree oil to inhibit mold.)
>

> Tori this is from http://www.recipezaar.com

I did the same thing minus the baby lotion and vinegar.

aml
June 18th 04, 01:46 PM
(ted) wrote in message >...
> Does anyone know how to make them?
>
> Thanks.

Just wanted to say I've been using home-made disposable wipes for
quite a while now (2 years?)...and the recipes already posted are
about what I've seen/used, except that I don't boil the water I use.
I've never had a mold problem, but I realize it could probably happen,
especially if you live in a very warm climate without AC (I know there
are quite a few Aussies here).

Also, I keep some store bought as well...for "emergencies," like when
I've accidentally run out of paper towels. It also seems to me that
the store bought ones stay wet longer in the little take-along
containers (for the diaper bag) than the home-made. Just my
experience.

aml

jjmoreta
June 18th 04, 05:07 PM
"ted" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know how to make them?
>
> Thanks.

I just wanted to add that these matched the recipes I had, except that on
mine the user noted that a few drops of lavender essential oil not only made
the wipes smell really good but had a natural anti-mold property as well (I
would think the tea tree oil might be a bit too tingly for sensitive baby
parts).

Then again, purchased wipes are way too convenient and not as expensive as
we thought. But that may be because we probably don't use as many as
regular people. As a newborn, DS only had a dirty diaper every 1-3 days!
Now that he eats solids, we get 2-5 a day and have finally been using wipes
up at a noticeable rate. We don't use wipes for diapers that are only wet
and have never had a problem with that - these new diapers wick moisture
away so fast it's not an issue.

The convenience of buying wipes outweighs any small dollar savings we would
recognize (we also buy large refill packages with coupons on sale so we
regularly save at least $2 off regular prices). I realize that homemade
wipes would have fewer ingredients that might be harmful to babies, but we
just choose the non-aloe (just in case) and he hasn't seemed sensitive to
them at all.

- Joanne
DS Ian 11/6/03