PDA

View Full Version : Migraine - THIS IS A NIGHTMARE

Zaz
June 18th 04, 01:56 PM
I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
the pain, and of course it does absolutely nothing. I spend the whole day
yesterday hiding in a dark room trying not to scream my lungs out, and today
looks to be the same. The pain is soooooo terrible. My visio9n is blurred -
so excuse any mispelling or any werid letter combination - which means I
can't even read. Watching TV is impossible - light hurts.

Laying down, worrying about the baby (is he/she in pain too?) is all I can
do.

Isabelle
EDD nov 20

Donna Metler
June 18th 04, 02:18 PM
"Zaz" > wrote in message
> I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> the pain, and of course it does absolutely nothing. I spend the whole day
> yesterday hiding in a dark room trying not to scream my lungs out, and
today
> looks to be the same. The pain is soooooo terrible. My visio9n is
blurred -
> so excuse any mispelling or any werid letter combination - which means I
> can't even read. Watching TV is impossible - light hurts.
>
> Laying down, worrying about the baby (is he/she in pain too?) is all I can
> do.
>
> Isabelle
> EDD nov 20

One thing which does help me-and which my OB Ok'd, was phenergan-it's not a
pain killer, but it helps with the nausea, and it tends to put me to sleep,
which lets me sleep off the migraine a bit faster.

I hope it passes quickly-they're horrible, horrible to go through.

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 18th 04, 02:55 PM
Zaz wrote:

> I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> the pain, and of course it does absolutely nothing. I spend the whole day
> yesterday hiding in a dark room trying not to scream my lungs out, and today
> looks to be the same. The pain is soooooo terrible. My visio9n is blurred -
> so excuse any mispelling or any werid letter combination - which means I
> can't even read. Watching TV is impossible - light hurts.
>
> Laying down, worrying about the baby (is he/she in pain too?) is all I can
> do.
>
> Isabelle
> EDD nov 20

Ibuprofen works for me.

Ericka Kammerer
June 18th 04, 03:07 PM
Zaz wrote:

> I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> the pain...

This is patently untrue. Get to a doctor and
demand better care. Most narcotics are just fine in
pregnancy, when there's a real need to use them. Some
doctors are idiots and parrot the "nothing but Tylenol"
line because it's easy. Go to someone who'll take your
pain seriously and prescribe something that is effective
and reasonably safe.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Irrational Number
June 18th 04, 03:13 PM
Zaz wrote:

> I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> the pain, and of course it does absolutely nothing. I spend the whole day
> yesterday hiding in a dark room trying not to scream my lungs out, and today
> looks to be the same. The pain is soooooo terrible. My visio9n is blurred -
> so excuse any mispelling or any werid letter combination - which means I
> can't even read. Watching TV is impossible - light hurts.

Oooh... Been there, done that... Go see a doctor;
he or she may have some meds for you that are
safe during pregnancy.

Also, have you tried some coffee? Sometimes that
helps me.

> Laying down, worrying about the baby (is he/she in pain too?) is all I can
> do.

The baby is just fine. Your headache does not transmit
to the baby; if anything, by fighting it, you're probably
releasing lots of serotonin and baby is feeling pretty
good...

-- Anita --

Zaz
June 18th 04, 03:37 PM
My doctor, pharmacist and midwife advised against it. Tylenol in small
dosage is all they are willing to recommend.
- obviously, I'm finally feeling better, since I can sit in front of the
computer - not more than 5 minutes at a time though.

"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
. ..

> Ibuprofen works for me.

Circe
June 18th 04, 03:54 PM
Zaz wrote:
> My doctor, pharmacist and midwife advised against it. Tylenol in
> small dosage is all they are willing to recommend.

Well, you need a new doctor, pharmacist, and/or midwife. Narcotics (codeine,
percoset, etc.) have a long history of safety and efficacy during pregnancy
and there is no reason to deny medications like Tylenol 3 to a pregnant
woman who is experiencing severe pain. I suffer from migraines and my OB
(for two pregnancies) and midwives (for one) were perfectly comfortably with
me taking either Tylenol with Codeine or hydrocone (generic Vicodin) for
migraine pain during pregnancy.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Jill
June 18th 04, 04:28 PM
"Zaz" > wrote in message
> I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> the pain,

been there done that except my headache wasn't anything other than a
protracted bad headache (I get migraines, and there is a difference!) My OB
allowed me Darvocet after the first trimester. Probably would have allowed a
small dose of another narcotic as well.

But, narcotics don't help my migraines, they make the pounding and
sensitivity to light and nausea even worse....and usually don't do anything
but slightly dull the pain. But everyone is different, would something like
that possibly help you?

Also, take a cool shower and lie down in a cool dark quiet room with a cold
rag or ice pack on your head. Cool seemed to help mine whereas heat made
them much worse. Sometimes all you can do with a migraine is sleep it off.
It does suck during pregnancy, Tylenol won't touch a migraine!

Jody Pellerin
June 18th 04, 08:38 PM
"Circe" > wrote in message news:<GkDAc.10631$ey.1312@fed1read06>...
> Zaz wrote:
> > My doctor, pharmacist and midwife advised against it. Tylenol in
> > small dosage is all they are willing to recommend.
>
> Well, you need a new doctor, pharmacist, and/or midwife. Narcotics (codeine,
> percoset, etc.) have a long history of safety and efficacy during pregnancy
> and there is no reason to deny medications like Tylenol 3 to a pregnant
> woman who is experiencing severe pain. I suffer from migraines and my OB
> (for two pregnancies) and midwives (for one) were perfectly comfortably with
> me taking either Tylenol with Codeine or hydrocone (generic Vicodin) for
> migraine pain during pregnancy.
> --
> Be well, Barbara
> Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)
>
> Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
> Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."
>
> All opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful.
> Needless to say, they are not those of my Internet Service Provider, its
> other subscribers or lackeys. Anyone who says otherwise is itchin' for a
> fight. -- with apologies to Michael Feldman

"were perfectly comfortably with me taking either Tylenol with
Codeine"
Your post just made me feel so much better. Something that was in the
back of my mind since I found out I was pregnant was before I knew, I
took tylenol with codeine one night when I had a really bad headache.
I always wondered if it was safe or not. And being not so bright, I
never thought to ask my doctor about it. Thank you!

Jody Pellerin
June 18th 04, 08:45 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk > wrote in message >...
> Zaz wrote:
>
> > I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> > pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> > the pain, and of course it does absolutely nothing. I spend the whole day
> > yesterday hiding in a dark room trying not to scream my lungs out, and today
> > looks to be the same. The pain is soooooo terrible. My visio9n is blurred -
> > so excuse any mispelling or any werid letter combination - which means I
> > can't even read. Watching TV is impossible - light hurts.
> >
> > Laying down, worrying about the baby (is he/she in pain too?) is all I can
> > do.
> >
> > Isabelle
> > EDD nov 20
> >

> Ibuprofen works for me.

Isn't that dangerous when you're pregnant?

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 18th 04, 09:38 PM
Zaz wrote:

> My doctor, pharmacist and midwife advised against it. Tylenol in small
> dosage is all they are willing to recommend.
> - obviously, I'm finally feeling better, since I can sit in front of the
> computer - not more than 5 minutes at a time though.
>
> "Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Ibuprofen works for me.

Hmmm, well I guess different people read different journals. ;-)
Standard advice where I live right now is that it's OK up until the
third trimester. I know that one study has been done that suggests an
increased risk of something leading to miscarriage (I think) if it's
taken early in the first trimester, but I'm not sure if the results of
that have been generally accepted yet.

Ericka Kammerer
June 18th 04, 09:42 PM
Zaz wrote:

> My doctor, pharmacist and midwife advised against it. Tylenol in small
> dosage is all they are willing to recommend.

They are being unreasonably conservative. Ask
them for the research to support their conclusions. Fer
cryin' out loud, they'd be happy to give you narcotics
during delivery! Here are some reviews contrary to their
opinions:

Neurology. 1999;53(4 Suppl 1):S26-8.
Migraine in pregnancy.
Aube M.
McGill University and the Montreal Neurological Institute,
Quebec, Canada.

Migraine does not increase the risk for complications of pregnancy for
the mother or for the fetus: the incidences of toxemia, miscarriages,
abnormal labour, congenital anomalies, and stillbirths are comparable to
those of the general population. Several retrospective studies have
shown a tendency for migraine to improve with pregnancy. Between 60 and
70% of women either go into remission or improve significantly, mainly
during the second and third trimesters. Women with migraine onset at
menarche and those with perimenstrual migraine are more likely to go
into remission during pregnancy. The migraine type does not seem to be a
significant prognostic factor for improvement. However, in the small
number of women (4-8%) whose migraines worsen with pregnancy, migraine
with aura appears to be overrepresented. In a small number of cases
(1.3-16.5%), migraine appears to start with pregnancy, often in the
first trimester; these headaches involve a higher proportion of migraine
with aura. Management of migraine during pregnancy should first focus on
avoiding potential triggers. Consideration should also be given to
nonpharmacologic therapies. If pharmacologic treatment becomes
necessary, acetaminophen and codeine can be used safely as abortive
agents; ASA and NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen) can be used as a second
choice, but not for long periods of time, and they should be avoided
during the last trimester. For treatment of severe attacks of migraine,
chlorpromazine, dimenhydrinate, and diphenhydramine can be used;
metoclopramide should be restricted to the third trimester. According to
the United States FDA risk categories, meperidine and morphine show no
evidence of risk in humans but should not be used at the end of the
third trimester. In some refractory cases, dexamethasone or prednisone
can be considered. Should prophylactic treatment become indicated, the
beta-adrenergic receptor antagonists (e.g., propranolol) can be used.

Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2002 Apr;3(4):389-93.
Pregnancy and chronic headache.
Marcus DA.
Pain Evaluation & Treatment Institute, 4601 Baum Boulevard,
Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA.

Headache patterns in women change in relation to fluctuations in
oestrogen levels. Increasing oestrogen levels in early pregnancy offer a
protective effect against headache, particularly for women with
migraine. However, some women continue to experience troublesome
headache throughout pregnancy. Headache persisting at the end of the
first trimester will usually continue without improvement for the
remainder of pregnancy and should be treated. Safe and effective acute
care treatment options include paracetamol, opioids and anti-emetics.
The use of triptans during pregnancy is controversial and not broadly
recommended. Safe and effective preventive treatments include
relaxation, biofeedback, beta-blockers, some antidepressants and
gabapentin in early pregnancy.

Neurol Clin. 1997 Feb;15(1):209-31.
Migraine and pregnancy.
Silberstein SD.
Comprehensive Headache Center, Germantown Hospital and Medical
Center, Pennyslvania, USA.

Migraine and tension-type headache are primary headache disorders that
occur during pregnancy. Migraine sometimes occurs for the first time
with pregnancy. Most migraineurs improve while pregnant; however,
migraine often recurs postpartum. Some disorders that produce headache,
such as stroke, cerebral venous thrombosis, eclampsia, and SAH, occur
more frequently during pregnancy. Diagnostic testing serves to exclude
organic causes of headache, to confirm the diagnosis, and to establish a
baseline before treatment. If neurodiagnostic testing is indicated, the
study that provides the most information with the least fetal risk is
the study of choice. Although drugs are used commonly during pregnancy,
there is insufficient knowledge about their effects on the growing
fetus. Most drugs are not teratogenic. Adverse effects, such as
spontaneous abortion, development defects, and various postnatal
effects, depend on the dose and route of administration and the timing
of the exposure relative to the period of fetal development. Although
medication use should be limited, it is not absolutely contraindicated
in pregnancy. In migraine, the risk of status migrainosus may be greater
than the potential risk of the medication use to treat the pregnant
patient. Nonpharmacologic treatment is the ideal solution; however,
analgesics, such as acetaminophen and narcotics, can be used on a
limited basis. Preventive therapy is a last resort.

Daye
June 18th 04, 10:02 PM
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:07:07 -0400, Ericka Kammerer >
wrote:

> Most narcotics are just fine in
>pregnancy, when there's a real need to use them. Some
>doctors are idiots and parrot the "nothing but Tylenol"
>line because it's easy.

I took Pandeine (tylenol + codeine) for most of both pregnancies for
both migraines and pain associated with irritable uterus. I think it
is called Tylenol 3 in the US. It is considered safe. My GP, midwife
and OB were all okay with taking it, so long as I didn't exceed the
maximum dose.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold

Donna
June 19th 04, 01:45 AM
"Zaz" > wrote in message
> I'm on hour 23 of a terrible migraine. This is where I realise that being
> pregnant is sometimes not FUN. I cannot take anything but Tylenol to ease
> the pain, and of course it does absolutely nothing. I spend the whole day
> yesterday hiding in a dark room trying not to scream my lungs out, and
today
> looks to be the same. The pain is soooooo terrible. My visio9n is
blurred -
> so excuse any mispelling or any werid letter combination - which means I
> can't even read. Watching TV is impossible - light hurts.

Call your OB. There *are* things you can take for a migraine, while you
are pregnant. I have dreadful migraines that sound like what you are
describing, and I can't imagine how you are managing without a painkiller.
Call your OB and explain exactly what your symptoms are.

FWIW, I have a script for fiorinal with codeine (I think), for emergencies.

Donna

Ericka Kammerer
June 19th 04, 02:35 AM
Donna wrote:

> FWIW, I have a script for fiorinal with codeine (I think), for emergencies.

Fiorinal doesn't have codeine, but it does have a
different barbiturate in it (butalbital, I believe) plus
caffeine and aspirin (Fioricet is the same, but with
Tylenol instead of aspirin).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Zaz
June 20th 04, 11:33 AM
"Jill" > wrote in message
. com...

> But, narcotics don't help my migraines, they make the pounding and
> sensitivity to light and nausea even worse....and usually don't do
anything
> but slightly dull the pain. But everyone is different, would something
like
> that possibly help you?

Same here. The only thing that could help me before was zomig, a one-time
pill that did miracle.

> Also, take a cool shower and lie down in a cool dark quiet room with a
cold
> rag or ice pack on your head. Cool seemed to help mine whereas heat made
> them much worse. Sometimes all you can do with a migraine is sleep it off.
> It does suck during pregnancy, Tylenol won't touch a migraine!

Been there, done that. And you're right about the Tylenol: it does zit.

But I am happy to report that after 30 hours, the migraine is gone, leaving
my a bit tired, but still up at 6:33 in the morning...

Zaz
June 20th 04, 11:36 AM
"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Zaz wrote:

> Standard advice where I live right now is that it's OK up until the
> third trimester.

And I'm in my second trimester. What should this read? Frankly, in doubt,
I will abstain. At any rate, at the dosage I need to get a migraine away, I
do not think it will be healthy: I would need 3 to 4 Motrin IB Migraine
every other hour, for at least 10 hours if I wanted to be slightly
functional. Mine are the kinds of migraines that had me brought to the
hospital in an ambulance and put on morphine three times in the past...

Zaz
June 20th 04, 11:42 AM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>ASA and NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen) can be used as a second
> choice, but not for long periods of time, and they should be avoided
> during the last trimester.
As I posted elsewhere in the thread, one or two pills would not help at all:
if I'm to kill the pain, I would need extra dosage, and, as this one lasted
30 hours, I am pretty sure it would be bad.

>Although drugs are used commonly during pregnancy,
> there is insufficient knowledge about their effects on the growing
> fetus. Most drugs are not teratogenic. Adverse effects, such as
> spontaneous abortion, development defects, and various postnatal
> effects, depend on the dose and route of administration and the timing
> of the exposure relative to the period of fetal development. Although
> medication use should be limited, it is not absolutely contraindicated
> in pregnancy.

"there is insufficient knowledge"... I don't like that at all. Maybe
that's why my doctor, midwife and pharmacists don't like it either.

<snip>Nonpharmacologic treatment is the ideal solution; however,
> analgesics, such as acetaminophen and narcotics, can be used on a
> limited basis.

Again, that "limited basis" thing. That does not help much on dosage, and
I'd need a huge one...

I think I'll stick to my health counsellors on this one - stubborn me, I
suppose.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Isabelle

Ericka Kammerer
June 20th 04, 03:22 PM
Zaz wrote:

> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>
>>ASA and NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen) can be used as a second
>>choice, but not for long periods of time, and they should be avoided
>>during the last trimester.
>
> As I posted elsewhere in the thread, one or two pills would not help at all:
> if I'm to kill the pain, I would need extra dosage, and, as this one lasted
> 30 hours, I am pretty sure it would be bad.

What are you considering "extra dosage"? When
they say long periods of time, they're likely talking
about weeks, not hours or days, and with dosage they're
likely talking about up to 800mg of ibuprofen, not just
200mg. Heck, I realized the other day that the recommended
ibuprofen dosage for my 9yo is 250mg, while the recommended
dose for *ME* on the bottle is only 200mg! Anyway, you
can take a lot more ibuprofen than is listed on the bottle ;-)

>>Although drugs are used commonly during pregnancy,
>>there is insufficient knowledge about their effects on the growing
>>fetus. Most drugs are not teratogenic. Adverse effects, such as
>>spontaneous abortion, development defects, and various postnatal
>>effects, depend on the dose and route of administration and the timing
>>of the exposure relative to the period of fetal development. Although
>>medication use should be limited, it is not absolutely contraindicated
>>in pregnancy.
>

> "there is insufficient knowledge"... I don't like that at all. Maybe
> that's why my doctor, midwife and pharmacists don't like it either.

In that case, the above was talking mostly about
the -triptans, not about narcotics. There is quite a bit
of knowledge about narcotic use in pregnancy.

> <snip>Nonpharmacologic treatment is the ideal solution; however,
>
>>analgesics, such as acetaminophen and narcotics, can be used on a
>>limited basis.
>>

> Again, that "limited basis" thing. That does not help much on dosage, and
> I'd need a huge one...

"Limited basis" means not for weeks or months
on end, not for the relatively few doses you'd likely need
for your migraine. And keep in mind that if you are in
constant pain, *that* has effects on your child too,
particularly if you are dealing with nausea that makes
it difficult for you to eat.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Zaz
June 20th 04, 04:24 PM
> What are you considering "extra dosage"? When
> they say long periods of time, they're likely talking
> about weeks, not hours or days, and with dosage they're
> likely talking about up to 800mg of ibuprofen, not just
> 200mg. Heck, I realized the other day that the recommended
> ibuprofen dosage for my 9yo is 250mg, while the recommended
> dose for *ME* on the bottle is only 200mg! Anyway, you
> can take a lot more ibuprofen than is listed on the bottle ;-)

Extra dosage is between 600 mg and 800 mg (3-4 caplets) every other hour...
That helps, and has been approved by my migraine specialist before, but
obviously I cannot take that with my pregnancy. Below that dosage, I get no
relief. The other option is sometimes morphine, when it gets very bad, but
that hasn't happened in a long long time.

I am lucky enough not to have nauseas (most of the time) and be able to eat
through the migraines, almost as much as usual. DH brings me my meal in the
dark, I eat, and I lay back in bed. And as Anita says, I am probably
releasing enough serotonin to get baby in top shape!

Mind you, this 60 hour one (I though 30, but I realise I have been 2 full
days laying down in bed, not just one!) has really hit me by surprise: I
normally get through a migraine within 6 to 12 hours. I cannot attribute it
to pregnancy just yet: I remember one, 8 years ago: 96 hours, including 48
hooked up to morphine IV in the hospital, trying not to scream in pain
because a lady in the bed besides me was having pregnancy complications, and
I was told to try not to disturb her...
I do hope, however, that this last migraine was just part of my regular
cycle (every seasonal change seems to do it for me, as well as stress), and
that the next one will be a "regular" one.

I try to take it on the positive side: I have become very good at handling
pain; maybe I will be able to remember that during childbirth!

Isabelle

Donna
June 20th 04, 07:38 PM
"Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
> Donna wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I have a script for fiorinal with codeine (I think), for
emergencies.

> Fiorinal doesn't have codeine, but it does have a
> different barbiturate in it \

Right. Fiorinal with codeine is a combination drug. Fiorinal, plus
Codeine. :)

Donna

Ericka Kammerer
June 20th 04, 08:41 PM
Donna wrote:

> "Ericka Kammerer" > wrote in message
>
>>Donna wrote:
>>

>>>FWIW, I have a script for fiorinal with codeine (I think), for
>
> emergencies.
>
>>Fiorinal doesn't have codeine, but it does have a
>>different barbiturate in it \
>

> Right. Fiorinal with codeine is a combination drug. Fiorinal, plus
> Codeine. :)

Oh, gotcha. Well, Codeine is also used in
pregnancy ;-) I hadn't run across Fiorinal with codeine
before!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 21st 04, 01:37 AM
Zaz wrote:

> "Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
>
>>Zaz wrote:
>

>>Standard advice where I live right now is that it's OK up until the
>>third trimester.
>

> And I'm in my second trimester. What should this read? Frankly, in doubt,

It means that you're not in the third trimester. :-) There is a known
bleeding risk if you take the drug late in the third trimester.

> I will abstain. At any rate, at the dosage I need to get a migraine away, I
> do not think it will be healthy: I would need 3 to 4 Motrin IB Migraine

I usually need a high dose, too, if I want to *completely* rid myself of
the problem. However, while pg, I just took a double dose, spread out
over a couple of hours, and it took the edge off enough so that I could
sleep the rest of it off. Taught me a lesson, actually: from now on, I
will see if I can get away with less medication and just sleep it off,
if I can spare the time. BTW, narcotics have never done anything for my
pain. It's weird how people are different, isn't it?

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 21st 04, 01:40 AM
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

> dose for *ME* on the bottle is only 200mg! Anyway, you
> can take a lot more ibuprofen than is listed on the bottle ;-)

Oh heck, yes. I've even had it prescribed at 400mg per pill, two pills
(so an 800mg dose). That was after dental surgery. 800mg is usually
what kills a migraine for me, but I won't take that much while pg.

Zaz
June 21st 04, 04:13 PM
Well, thank you anyway. This morning I did take one caplet of 200 mg
Ibuprofen, and it did get the headache away. I would never have dared
without you, and everyone being so reassuring here!
- now, I must convince DH that I am NOT killing our baby!

"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
> Ericka Kammerer wrote:
>
> > dose for *ME* on the bottle is only 200mg! Anyway, you
> > can take a lot more ibuprofen than is listed on the bottle ;-)
>
> Oh heck, yes. I've even had it prescribed at 400mg per pill, two pills
> (so an 800mg dose). That was after dental surgery. 800mg is usually
> what kills a migraine for me, but I won't take that much while pg.

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 21st 04, 05:39 PM
Zaz wrote:

> Well, thank you anyway. This morning I did take one caplet of 200 mg
> Ibuprofen, and it did get the headache away. I would never have dared
> without you, and everyone being so reassuring here!
> - now, I must convince DH that I am NOT killing our baby!

I'm glad you're feeling better. I have to admit, though, that I always
feel guilty when I tell people that ibuprofen works for me. I feel like
a drug pusher. ;-) So, I *hope* that you don't have a recurrence,
because I don't want to feel like a pusher again!

Zaz
June 21st 04, 08:55 PM
Oh, believe me, I will get a recurrence. I get at least one migraine every 3
months, whenever weather pressure changes. But at least, now I can get some
relief, without feeling guilty!

BTW, I just came back from my chiropractor, and she eliminated the remainder
of the pain - I should have gone earlier...

"Vicky Bilaniuk" > wrote in message
.. .
> Zaz wrote:
>
> > Well, thank you anyway. This morning I did take one caplet of 200 mg
> > Ibuprofen, and it did get the headache away. I would never have dared
> > without you, and everyone being so reassuring here!
> > - now, I must convince DH that I am NOT killing our baby!
>
> I'm glad you're feeling better. I have to admit, though, that I always
> feel guilty when I tell people that ibuprofen works for me. I feel like
> a drug pusher. ;-) So, I *hope* that you don't have a recurrence,
> because I don't want to feel like a pusher again!

Jenrose
June 22nd 04, 09:09 AM
> Hmmm, well I guess different people read different journals. ;-)
> Standard advice where I live right now is that it's OK up until the
> third trimester. I know that one study has been done that suggests an
> increased risk of something leading to miscarriage (I think) if it's
> taken early in the first trimester, but I'm not sure if the results of
> that have been generally accepted yet.

Ibuprophen is a prostaglandin inhibitor. That makes me *really* nervous in
pregnancy...

Jenrose