PDA

View Full Version : Bug spray question

Zannah
June 19th 04, 04:36 AM
I'm off on a two-day business trip next week and have been told I am
going to want to thoroughly cover myself with bug spray - not just
because of the mosquitoes, but also the horseflies. (And I do tend to be
particularly succulent to mosquitoes.) Does anyone have any
recommendations for bug sprays that are safe for a pregnant woman?

Thanks,

Zannah.

Wendy
June 19th 04, 05:23 AM
From what I understand, OFF bug repellant (with DEET) is safe for
pregnant women and babies older that 2 months, according to Web MD. Of
course you could always use something like Avon's Skin So Soft and I
have noticed in the bug spray aisle they have several DEET-free
alternatives. However, I read DEET works best and the way to use it
safely is to not buy a higher concentration than is needed. The higher
the concentration, the longer it lasts.You still get the same amount of
protection with a lower percentage of DEET.

Wendy

Amy
June 19th 04, 06:17 AM
Apparently 'Deet' is a big no-no. Anything like 'Vicks' chestrub or similar,
something strong smelling, should put them off. Lavender is safe in pg and
is thought to be effective, I've read just dabbing some on your pulse
points, wrists, temples, backs of knees, ankles and behind your ears is
supposed to work, but if you wanted it 'all over' you could dilute it in a
carrier oil first. Vanilla is supposed to be good too, but I imagine it
would have to be real vanilla and not the mostly water/alcohol stuff you get
at the supermarket.

"Zannah" > wrote in message
> I'm off on a two-day business trip next week and have been told I am
> going to want to thoroughly cover myself with bug spray - not just
> because of the mosquitoes, but also the horseflies. (And I do tend to be
> particularly succulent to mosquitoes.) Does anyone have any
> recommendations for bug sprays that are safe for a pregnant woman?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zannah.

Mary W.
June 19th 04, 12:46 PM
Zannah wrote:

> I'm off on a two-day business trip next week and have been told I am
> going to want to thoroughly cover myself with bug spray - not just
> because of the mosquitoes, but also the horseflies. (And I do tend to be
> particularly succulent to mosquitoes.) Does anyone have any
> recommendations for bug sprays that are safe for a pregnant woman?

I use family OFF (lower DEET) on my clothes only. On exposed skin
I've been using OFF botanicals which doesn't contain DEET. It
actually has been working pretty well.

Mary

Sophie
June 19th 04, 01:17 PM
"Zannah" > wrote in message
> I'm off on a two-day business trip next week and have been told I am
> going to want to thoroughly cover myself with bug spray - not just
> because of the mosquitoes, but also the horseflies. (And I do tend to be
> particularly succulent to mosquitoes.) Does anyone have any
> recommendations for bug sprays that are safe for a pregnant woman?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zannah.

I like Burt's Bees bug repellant. Has citronella in it, smells good, works,
not all chemically.

Luna
June 19th 04, 03:52 PM
"Zannah" > wrote in message
> I'm off on a two-day business trip next week and have been told I am
> going to want to thoroughly cover myself with bug spray - not just
> because of the mosquitoes, but also the horseflies. (And I do tend to be
> particularly succulent to mosquitoes.) Does anyone have any
> recommendations for bug sprays that are safe for a pregnant woman?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zannah.

I would never use DEET on myself, pregnant or otherwise, and definitely not
on my bub. Fresh catnip leaves rubbed on the skin have just been proven to
be more effective in repelling mosquitoes than DIET. But if you don't have
any catnip available, try a product scented with essential oils or
citronella, like Burt's Bees.

Hannah

Vicky Bilaniuk
June 19th 04, 11:23 PM
Zannah wrote:

> I'm off on a two-day business trip next week and have been told I am
> going to want to thoroughly cover myself with bug spray - not just
> because of the mosquitoes, but also the horseflies. (And I do tend to be
> particularly succulent to mosquitoes.) Does anyone have any
> recommendations for bug sprays that are safe for a pregnant woman?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zannah.

I've been advised that DEET is fine but in low doses. So, I've been
told to stick with the short term stuff (usually comes in an orange
container if it's from Off), and in particular, that Off Skintastic type
of stuff (I think they also have Skin So Soft, or something). I've got
a spray version of the Skin So Soft, or whatever it's called, and I use
that. Again, orange container (well it's the lid mostly that you'll see
as definitely being orange). Off colour codes their stuff, at least in
Canada.

Oh, and unlike other people here, I would never use citronella. ;-)
Talk about an instant asthma attack or what. I would probably want to
kick anyone who walks around smelling like that, too. ;-) I hope the
stuff never takes off around here - I just don't need that trigger in
public places. (and no I don't know what it is about the stuff, but
whatever it is, no matter how medicated I am, I get an attack from it)

Shelly
June 20th 04, 12:12 AM
"Sophie" > wrote in message
> I like Burt's Bees bug repellant. Has citronella in it, smells good,
works,
> not all chemically.

Maybe our mosquitos are just extra blood-thirsty here where I live, but I
didn't have very good luck with Burt's Bees at all. The mosquitos seemed to
be attracted to it, and it was so oily. Usually I love Burt's Bees stuff,
but I wasn't fond of the repellant at all.

Off Botanicals, on the other hand, seems to be working really well for us.

-Michelle