PDA

View Full Version : Re: PTO/PTA

blacksalt
July 12th 03, 04:35 AM
Jarkat2002 wrote:

> What is the difference between PTO and PTA?
> Anyone know?
> In my area (Ohio USA) there are some schools that are PTA and some that are
> PTO.

From what my ex-SIL (heavily involved in a PTO) said, the Organization
doesn't have to pay dues to the national Association.
blacksalt

Donna Metler
July 12th 03, 05:27 AM
"Jarkat2002" > wrote in message
> What is the difference between PTO and PTA?
> Anyone know?
> In my area (Ohio USA) there are some schools that are PTA and some that
are
> PTO.
> TIA
> ~Kat

PTA is a national organization, and schools which have PTA's pay into the
national umbrella. PTO's are completely independent.

> Planet Claire has pink air
> All the trees are red
> No one ever dies there
> No one has a head

dragonlady
July 12th 03, 07:29 AM
In article >,
(Jarkat2002) wrote:

> What is the difference between PTO and PTA?
> Anyone know?
> In my area (Ohio USA) there are some schools that are PTA and some that are
> PTO.
> TIA
> ~Kat
>

> Planet Claire has pink air
> All the trees are red
> No one ever dies there
> No one has a head

I have only anecdotal evidence, but the PTA's my mother and SIL were
involved in tended to be involved in the "political" side of the school,
influencing policies and supporting extracurricular things, that sort of
thing. The PTO's in the schools my kids attended raised money and threw
parties. (And after a few years of trying to be involved, I gave up --
throwing parties and raising funds aren't my better skills; I
volunteered in the school in other ways.)

meh

ºFree~Spiritº
July 12th 03, 02:14 PM
On 12 Jul 2003 03:59:35 GMT, (Jarkat2002) wrotc:

>What is the difference between PTO and PTA?
>Anyone know?
>In my area (Ohio USA) there are some schools that are PTA and some that are
>PTO.
>TIA
>~Kat

PTA is a national organization. So if you call your parent teacher- whatever a
PTA your organization got to pay dues to the national organization for the
privilege of being called a PTA. So to avoid that some school system just give
it a different name. PTO, SCA, SCO (School Community Association/Organisation)
etc just to name a few.

>Planet Claire has pink air
>All the trees are red
>No one ever dies there
>No one has a head

Free Spirit
DD(7) DS(10)

Sue
July 12th 03, 03:23 PM
PTA: Parent/teacher association. This is what we are called in our district.
PTO: Parent/teacher organization

They changed it to PTO to give it a better name instead of association
because of the stigma that the PTA has in being too cliqish. They changed it
to organization so people wouldn't be turned off at the name.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Jarkat2002 > wrote in message
> What is the difference between PTO and PTA?
> Anyone know?
> In my area (Ohio USA) there are some schools that are PTA and some that
are
> PTO.
> TIA
> ~Kat
>

> Planet Claire has pink air
> All the trees are red
> No one ever dies there
> No one has a head

Sue
July 12th 03, 06:59 PM
Sorry I didn't realize the PTO didn't have to pay dues. Sorry my mistake. I
had heard rumored that they changed the name due to the stigma, but perhaps
they did so they could restructure it. PTO is keeping the money in the
school it is participating in.
--
Sue
mom to three girls