PDA

View Full Version : Re: Many child cyclists wear helmets wrongly

JG
August 4th 03, 09:05 PM
"JG" > wrote in message

Ooops! Left off the attribution. The article is from
www.reutershealth.com, Health eLine, 8/4/03.

Roger Schlafly
August 4th 03, 09:26 PM
"JG" > wrote
> Ped-as-bike-helmet-expert? Just why would a ped know more than a
> bike-shop salesperson, a traffic cop, or (heavens!) helmet
> manufacturers?

<grin>

> But a four-minute test found only 4 percent, or 20 of the children,
> passed the criteria for proper helmet fit.
> Wearing a helmet while cycling has been found to sharply cut the risk of
> head injuries, but wearing it improperly reduces the protective benefit,
> the report said.

Only 4% wear helmets properly, but it still sharply cuts the risk of
head injuries? This ped is an idiot.

> Parkinson urged pediatricians to make helmet fitting part of a child's
> regular check-up.

The article assumes that 0% of the parents can put a helmet on a kid,
but 100% of the peds can. Here is the abstract:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/2/320

JG
August 4th 03, 09:43 PM
"Roger Schlafly" > wrote in message
t...
> "JG" > wrote

> The article assumes that 0% of the parents can put a helmet on a kid,
> but 100% of the peds can. Here is the abstract:
> http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/2/320

Mr. Trouble never hangs around,
When he hears this Mighty sound,

Here I come to save the day!

That means that Mighty Ped is on the way!

Yes sir, when there is a wrong to right,
Mighty Ped will join the fight!

On the sea or on the land,
He's got the situation well in hand!

....sincerest apologies to Philip A. Scheib, Marshall Barer, and, of
course, Mighty Mouse...

Jeff Utz
August 5th 03, 01:37 AM
"Roger Schlafly" > wrote in message
t...
> "JG" > wrote
> > Ped-as-bike-helmet-expert? Just why would a ped know more than a
> > bike-shop salesperson, a traffic cop, or (heavens!) helmet
> > manufacturers?
>
> <grin>

Apparently cops, bike-shop salespersons and helmet manuifacturers are not
doing an adequate job.

> > But a four-minute test found only 4 percent, or 20 of the children,
> > passed the criteria for proper helmet fit.
> > Wearing a helmet while cycling has been found to sharply cut the risk of
> > head injuries, but wearing it improperly reduces the protective benefit,
> > the report said.
>
> Only 4% wear helmets properly, but it still sharply cuts the risk of
> head injuries? This ped is an idiot.

Really? I disagree. The results of the study suggest that if kids wore
helmets that are better fitting and in better condition, death and injury
rates from bike crashes would go done futher.

> > Parkinson urged pediatricians to make helmet fitting part of a child's
> > regular check-up.
>
> The article assumes that 0% of the parents can put a helmet on a kid,
> but 100% of the peds can. Here is the abstract:
> http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/2/320

Really? Near 0% of the parents can fit a helmet correctly (0 of 52 of the
kids whose parents helped had helmets on correctly).

Pediatricians and people who work for pediatricians (like nurses) can learn
to fit helmets correctly and show the kids how to put them on correctly.

I believe the authors felt that doing this would decrease the risk that kids
would die or be seriously injured in bike crashes (as well as scooter,
in-line skating and skateboard crashes). I believe the authors are correct.

Jeff