PDA

View Full Version : Adderall vs. Strattera ????

RW
August 5th 03, 03:43 AM
Our son (9) was diagnosed as having ADHD with impulsivity disorder 2
1/2 years ago. We first tried Ritilan for 6 months. This worked
well, but had some disturbing side effects (total loss of appetite,
difficulty sleeping, rebounding). We then switched to Adderall (20mg)
for the last two years. Although it was better, he still had some bad
side effects(loss of appetite, difficulty going to sleep, social
rigidity, flat affect). We are considering switching to Strattera
based off our Doctors recomendation. Does anyone have any experience
with Strattera on a child with this diagnosis or this age? I would
appreciate any advice you might have.

R.W.

Mark Probert
August 5th 03, 09:59 PM
RW wrote:

> Our son (9) was diagnosed as having ADHD with impulsivity disorder 2
> 1/2 years ago. We first tried Ritilan for 6 months. This worked
> well, but had some disturbing side effects (total loss of appetite,
> difficulty sleeping, rebounding). We then switched to Adderall (20mg)
> for the last two years. Although it was better, he still had some bad
> side effects(loss of appetite, difficulty going to sleep, social
> rigidity, flat affect). We are considering switching to Strattera
> based off our Doctors recomendation. Does anyone have any experience
> with Strattera on a child with this diagnosis or this age? I would
> appreciate any advice you might have.

My son has been on meds since age 6 and is now 20. He recently switched
to Strattera and says that is is far smoother than anything he has ever
tried.

Personally, I do not notice any change in his abilities. Perhaps that is
because he is attending school full time and working 25 hours per week,
or more, and I do not see him as much. He has always been an excellent
reporter of how meds affect him, and I have no reason to doubt what he
says.

He has never had serious side effects from any med, and never went
through the appetite suppression everyone talks about. In facvt, he
thinks he is a bit heavy, and wishes that there was some appetite
suppression. He knows he has to eat better, but he cannot seem to work
that in to his schedule.

The nice thing about Strattera is that it does not require a monthly
prescription.