PDA

View Full Version : Molluscum contagiosum - succes at last!

Tony S
August 5th 03, 09:31 AM
About 2 years ago my daughter, then aged 2, was diagnosed as having
molluscum contagiosum. She had thirty or forty small wart-like spots
under her arms, on the backs of her legs, down her torso & sides. They
occasionally would burst & become infected. The doctor told me there
was nothing he could do, as it was a viral infection. He said they
would go away in a few weeks or months. They didn't. They would fade,
but others would come along to take their place.

I searched the web & came up with no real answer. Cauterisation and
freezing were possibilities, but at some pain & risk of scarring.
Luckily, my daughter didn't get any on her face or near her eyes.

After about a year, we took her to a homeopathic doctor who had been
successful in reducing my wife's hayfever. He gave her some tablets,
but they did no good. We were beginning to wonder if our beautiful
daughter would ever stop being spotty.

About two months ago, I noticed even more spots beginning to surface
down her left side - dozens and dozens of them. We went back to the
doctor, who confirmed that it was yet more molluscum, and that there
was nothing to be done.

Six weeks ago I searched the web again and found a brief reference to
the use of herb - comfrey - in the treatment of molluscum. So I went
down to the local health food shop, bought a little jar of Comfrey
Salve for 2.50 GBP. I applied it to her spots morning and night. It
caused her no discomfort. It's a brownish cream which goes on easily.

Success! The spots that were threatening to come through have
disappeared. Most of her existing spots have gone, axcept for ten or
so which seem to be going away.

Now viruses & the immune system are funny things, and it may be pure
coincidence that the spots went after I started the comfrey treatment.
But I'd recommend any parents out there whose children are plagued
with molluscum to try comfrey.

- Tony -

Mary Gordon
August 5th 03, 02:56 PM
One of my kids had molluscum this winter - he was a real mess - it was
all down one side of his chest and all over the inside of one arm (it
is very contageous and we think he spread it itself because of the
position he sleeps in. Horrible looking stuff too - he was very
embarrassed and upset, and totally freaked about the prospect of
having them removed with freezing or scraping or any of the other
miserable ideas. The doctor said left on its own, it could be a few
years before it went away so that wasn't going to do at all - the poor
kid didn't want to go to gym class, swimming etc. etc. It really
looked bad. The dermatologist prescribed Aldara, which is a topical
antiviral. It didn't seem to be doing anything at first, but at the
end of a month, the tide turned and the whole mess finally cleared up
(actually being gone took a few months). Despite what you read, it DID
leave scars - little teeny red pits. The redness is fading but the
pits look like they are there for good.

Mary G.

PF Riley
August 6th 03, 06:28 AM
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 05:00:08 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh

(Tony S) wrote:

>>Six weeks ago I searched the web again and found a brief reference to
>>the use of herb - comfrey - in the treatment of molluscum.
>
>>Now viruses & the immune system are funny things, and it may be pure
>>coincidence that the spots went after I started the comfrey treatment.
>
>And after TWO years of the virus hanging around, the immune
>system finally spotted it, produced antibodies, and killed it
>off. Molluscum lesions may become red and sore when the body
>tries to reject the virus ... that flareup was a sign of the
>immune system kicking in.

The original poster is to be commended at least for acknowledging the
possibility of the fallacy of "post hoc, ergo propter hoc."

>Many diseases vanish spontaneously.

The fundamental basis for most quack cures is the natural spontaneous
resolution of most disease.

PF

Bill Fischer
August 6th 03, 05:59 PM
PF Riley wrote:

> The fundamental basis for most quack cures is the natural spontaneous
> resolution of most disease.

Yes, and add the parent/patient demand for immediate cure.

Mark
August 7th 03, 01:41 AM
(Tony S) wrote in message >...
> About 2 years ago my daughter, then aged 2, was diagnosed as having
> molluscum contagiosum. She had thirty or forty small wart-like spots
> under her arms, on the backs of her legs, down her torso & sides. They
> occasionally would burst & become infected. The doctor told me there
> was nothing he could do, as it was a viral infection. He said they
> would go away in a few weeks or months. They didn't. They would fade,
> but others would come along to take their place.
>
> I searched the web & came up with no real answer. Cauterisation and
> freezing were possibilities, but at some pain & risk of scarring.
> Luckily, my daughter didn't get any on her face or near her eyes.
>
> After about a year, we took her to a homeopathic doctor who had been
> successful in reducing my wife's hayfever. He gave her some tablets,
> but they did no good. We were beginning to wonder if our beautiful
> daughter would ever stop being spotty.
>
> About two months ago, I noticed even more spots beginning to surface
> down her left side - dozens and dozens of them. We went back to the
> doctor, who confirmed that it was yet more molluscum, and that there
> was nothing to be done.
>
> Six weeks ago I searched the web again and found a brief reference to
> the use of herb - comfrey - in the treatment of molluscum. So I went
> down to the local health food shop, bought a little jar of Comfrey
> Salve for 2.50 GBP. I applied it to her spots morning and night. It
> caused her no discomfort. It's a brownish cream which goes on easily.
>
> Success! The spots that were threatening to come through have
> disappeared. Most of her existing spots have gone, axcept for ten or
> so which seem to be going away.
>
> Now viruses & the immune system are funny things, and it may be pure
> coincidence that the spots went after I started the comfrey treatment.
> But I'd recommend any parents out there whose children are plagued
> with molluscum to try comfrey.
>
> - Tony -

This is interesting. I'm going to look into the potential side
effects/toxicity of Comfrey (if any), and if it looks innocuous
enough, I think I might give it a try as a recommendation to my
patients.

I have a problem with the difficulties in treating molluscum.
Currettage works, but it's a pain and it can scar. Aldara is
expensive and I am not convinced that it works all that well.

All this said, it is also VERY possible that the initiation of your
"comfrey treatment" merely happened to coincide with the natural
resolution of the molluscum. In any case, it's worth some thought.

Mark, MD