PDA

View Full Version : Re: Children infections: can they be transmitted by a third person?

Jeff Utz
August 6th 03, 12:53 AM
Your nanny or anyone else who comes in contact with the child can transmit
infections to him, including ones that are preventable from vaccinations.

How likely this is, I don't know. It would be much less likely if your child
were immunized.

As far as whether you are paranoid or not, I don't know. ;-)

Jeff

"Mamasha" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> Q: Can some of the children infections (pertussis, etc.) be
> transmitted by a third person?
>
> Background: We delayed the vaccinations of my son (he is 1 year old
> now and hasn't had any vaccinations but also any colds or other health
> problems yet). I am breastfeeding him along with giving some solids,
> and he is a home child :not in a day care,and very seldom interacting
> with other children.The only permanent contact outside of the family
> is his nunny.
>
> The nunny comes to us only part time, half a day a few days a week.Now
> she got another job to babysit a 4-months old infant who does go to
> the day care. The nanny will babysit him only when he is sick. My
> concern is that she might carry over some germs from him (when he is
> sick) and/or some infections dormant in the day care and not affecting
> him but present nevertheless.
>
> Is my concern justified or am I just paranoid?
>
> Thanks a lot for any information,
>
> Mamasha

Mark Probert
August 6th 03, 01:18 AM
Mamasha wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Q: Can some of the children infections (pertussis, etc.) be
> transmitted by a third person?
>
> Background: We delayed the vaccinations of my son (he is 1 year old
> now and hasn't had any vaccinations but also any colds or other health
> problems yet). I am breastfeeding him along with giving some solids,
> and he is a home child :not in a day care,and very seldom interacting
> with other children.The only permanent contact outside of the family
> is his nunny.
>
> The nunny comes to us only part time, half a day a few days a week.Now
> she got another job to babysit a 4-months old infant who does go to
> the day care. The nanny will babysit him only when he is sick. My
> concern is that she might carry over some germs from him (when he is
> sick) and/or some infections dormant in the day care and not affecting
> him but present nevertheless.
>
> Is my concern justified or am I just paranoid?

Just one point...thee may be more....pertussis is found in adults, and
your child can die from it.

Tsu Dho Nimh
August 6th 03, 03:43 AM
(Mamasha) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Q: Can some of the children infections (pertussis, etc.) be
>transmitted by a third person?

Yes. Some adults can have a mild infection and transmit a bad
case of it to the people they work with or live with. Also, most
of the common viral infecitons (measles, mumps, chickenpox,
pertussis) are most contagious before the infected person is ill
enough to notice. They think they have a cold - really they are
spreading measles or pertussis.

>Background: We delayed the vaccinations of my son (he is 1 year old
>now and hasn't had any vaccinations but also any colds or other health
>problems yet). I am breastfeeding him along with giving some solids,
>and he is a home child :not in a day care,and very seldom interacting
>with other children.

Get the vaccinations up to date - any member of the family could
catch something and bring it into the house and infect the baby.

>The nunny comes to us only part time, half a day a few days a week.Now
>she got another job to babysit a 4-months old infant who does go to
>the day care. The nanny will babysit him only when he is sick. My
>concern is that she might carry over some germs from him (when he is
>sick) and/or some infections dormant in the day care and not affecting
>him but present nevertheless.

Yes ... people who work with sick children should not be caring
for healthy children if it is possible to avoid it.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both