PDA

View Full Version : childbirth without insurance

1qa2ws
September 9th 03, 09:30 PM
Hi,

I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance? Maybe you know
if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in Missouri
state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.

Daniel

Jeff
September 9th 03, 10:16 PM
"1qa2ws" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
> possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance?

If you're pregant, nearly 100%.

> Maybe you know
> if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in
Missouri
> state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.

No, but ask at your doctor's office. They usually have staff members who can
help you. If not, you might be able to get free or reduced-cost care at one
of the universities there, like St. Louis University and Wash U.

Jeff

> Daniel

Donna Metler
September 9th 03, 10:21 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message

> "1qa2ws" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
> > possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance?
>
> If you're pregant, nearly 100%.
>
> > Maybe you know
> > if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in
> Missouri
> > state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.
>
> No, but ask at your doctor's office. They usually have staff members who
can
> help you. If not, you might be able to get free or reduced-cost care at
one
> of the universities there, like St. Louis University and Wash U.

In Memphis, one of the hospitals has a pre-paid childbirth plan, where it is
one set rate for a normal delivery (or planned C-section), which you pay in
regular installments. I believe it was something like $2500 for a regular
delivery with monthly prenatal visits and one ultrasound.

Now if you have a complicated pregnancy, this won't help.

> Jeff
>
> > Daniel

Bev Brandt
September 10th 03, 07:04 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message >...
> "1qa2ws" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
> > possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance?
>
> If you're pregant, nearly 100%.
>
> > Maybe you know
> > if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in
> Missouri
> > state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.
>
> No, but ask at your doctor's office. They usually have staff members who can
> help you. If not, you might be able to get free or reduced-cost care at one
> of the universities there, like St. Louis University and Wash U.
>
> Jeff

I second what Jeff said. To the OP - Washington University is HUGE and
affiliated with Barnes-Jewish-Childrens hospitals and healthcare
organization (A.K.A "BJC," which also includes Missouri Baptist
Hospital.) Although my rudimentary search didn't turn up anything
specific, they probably have *something* for the under- or un-insured.
Call around.

Also try the county or St. Louis city departments of health. I don't
know which you live in and I don't know if the services cross lines.
FYI - St. Louis city is not in the county and St. Louis County does
not include the city of St. Louis. If you're new to the area, you may
not understand this.

These departments may not provide the actual services, but they might
be able to direct you to someone who will.

County DOH web site: http://www.stlouisco.com/doh/ (there is
apparently help for *high* *risk* pregnancies, but I don't know about
other help)

City DOH: http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/health/index.html

Also, employers must cover you for pregnancy, I understand. So if you
can get a job while pregnant, it's one option. I changed jobs while
pregnant and was fully covered by the second employer's insurance. But
that was my primary insurance, not insurance through my spouse. A
spouse getting a job that includes health benes may be an option, too.
But in this particular "employer's market," it's probably not a great
option...

- Bev

Jeff
September 10th 03, 11:00 PM
"Bev Brandt" > wrote in message
om...

(...)

> Also, employers must cover you for pregnancy, I understand. So if you
> can get a job while pregnant, it's one option. I changed jobs while
> pregnant and was fully covered by the second employer's insurance. But
> that was my primary insurance, not insurance through my spouse. A
> spouse getting a job that includes health benes may be an option, too.
> But in this particular "employer's market," it's probably not a great
> option...

Good point. In addition, there are often enrollment periods employer's
health insurance. For example, if you or your spouse is employed and there
is a new open enrollment, they have to take you during open enrollment. Open
enrollment is usually around new year's day, but it does vary (for my
company, the open enrollment ends Oct 31, with the new coverage effective
Nov 1). Of course, if either you or your spouse get a new job, this would
apply to both spouses.

Jeff

> - Bev

1qa2ws
September 11th 03, 12:46 AM
Hi,

maybe I describe my situation more precisely:

I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
buy any... :( What should I do?

Daniel

Joni Rathbun
September 11th 03, 01:24 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, 1qa2ws wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe I describe my situation more precisely:
>
> I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
> semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
> insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
> study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
> asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
> buy any... :( What should I do?
>
> Daniel

1. They may not provide maternity benefits but they may cover
the baby once born so you should probably still get insurance.

2. Start saving your money and if your wife is healthy and
experiencing a normal, healthy pregnancy, start exploring
alternative birthing options. Other posters here who've
been through these things more recently can probably share
some ideas.

It's been a while since I was pregnant. I didn't have
insurance with baby #1. I chose a pediatric nurse
practitioner as my care giver (she worked under the
guidance of a team of doctors) and while I did decide
to go to a hospital, we chose the alternative birthing
room and quick exit. The total at the time was going
to be right about $800.

Of course, as luck would have it, the birth was not
a quick or easy one and emergenies arose so we wound
up spending considerably more....

But I have many friends who were successful!

Jeff
September 11th 03, 01:58 AM
If your university has a medical center, they might be willing to cut you a
deal. Or the UMSL might as well.

The other thing you can look into is getting Medicaid for your wife when she
arrives as well as for your child. I don't know the rules about recent
immigrants or newly born citizens with regard the Medicaid. Or, for that
matter, Medicaid and students. There may be special insurance from the
state that you can get, at least for your child, which is cheaper than you
can get elsewhere (I think most states have it). Can't hurt to look.

Jeff

"Joni Rathbun" > wrote in message

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, 1qa2ws wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > maybe I describe my situation more precisely:
> >
> > I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at
this
> > semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
> > insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
> > study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd.
I've
> > asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I
cannot
> > buy any... :( What should I do?
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> 1. They may not provide maternity benefits but they may cover
> the baby once born so you should probably still get insurance.
>
> 2. Start saving your money and if your wife is healthy and
> experiencing a normal, healthy pregnancy, start exploring
> alternative birthing options. Other posters here who've
> been through these things more recently can probably share
> some ideas.
>
> It's been a while since I was pregnant. I didn't have
> insurance with baby #1. I chose a pediatric nurse
> practitioner as my care giver (she worked under the
> guidance of a team of doctors) and while I did decide
> to go to a hospital, we chose the alternative birthing
> room and quick exit. The total at the time was going
> to be right about $800.
>
> Of course, as luck would have it, the birth was not
> a quick or easy one and emergenies arose so we wound
> up spending considerably more....
>
> But I have many friends who were successful!

llama mama
September 11th 03, 01:24 PM
"just me" > wrote in
om:

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
> ...[i]
>> If your university has a medical center, they might be willing to cut
>> you
>> deal. Or the UMSL might as well.
>>
>> The other thing you can look into is getting Medicaid for your wife
>> when
> she
>> arrives as well as for your child. I don't know the rules about
>> recent immigrants or newly born citizens with regard the Medicaid.
>> Or, for that matter, Medicaid and students. There may be special
>> insurance from the state that you can get, at least for your child,
>> which is cheaper than you can get elsewhere (I think most states have
>> it). Can't hurt to look.
>>

> If they fall below the income and resource rules the baby ought to
> qualify for Medicaid after the third month [rules vary by state], and
> one does not need to be a US citizen to qualify for Medicaid . And, if all else
> fails, many hospitals will work out a payment plan for nearly anyone.

if an illegal alien has a child born in the US (or a foreign national of
any type, for that matter) that child is automatically an American
citizen & eligible for Medicaid, etc.
most hospitals will work out a payment plan. then there's always the
Hill-Burton act, which says hospitals can't refuse treatment even if the
client can't afford it...

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital

Bev Brandt
September 11th 03, 02:17 PM
"Jeff" > wrote in message >...
> If your university has a medical center, they might be willing to cut you a
> deal. Or the UMSL might as well.

"The UMSL" *is* the University of Missouri at St. Louis. :)

To the OP, keep on looking. Are you a graduate student? You might be
able to get an on-campus job that pays benefits and also allows you to
continue with your studies. Even if you're an undergraduate, that's an
option.

Try the University health services.

http://www.umsl.edu/services/health/

They're probably more for students who have minor illnesses and
injuries, but they may be able to direct you to an organization that
can help. There must be an international student organization on
campus somewhere, too. I would think that this might not be all that
uncommon of a situation.

Oh, and welcome to St. Louis. I hope you like it here and enjoy your
studies.

- Bev

just me
September 12th 03, 02:53 AM
"llama mama" > wrote in message
. ..
> most hospitals will work out a payment plan. then there's always the
> Hill-Burton act, which says hospitals can't refuse treatment even if the
> client can't afford it...

You are correct about the Hill-Burton Act in that any hospital accepting
public monies must provide a certain amount of care under that act, but,
those funds tend to get exhausted very early in the fiscal year and are very
difficult to obtain, in my experience, due to that.

From the web site:
http://www.infoline.org/InformationLibrary/Documents/Hill-Burton%20Act%20cw.asp
HILL-BURTON ACT

The Hill-Burton Act is a federal program which requires "obligated
facilities" (health care facilities including hospitals) that have used
federal money for facility reconstruction or modernization to provide free
or low cost health care services to people living in the facility's area who
cannot afford to pay for the services. To be eligible, a person must not be
covered by, nor receive services under, a third-party insurer or a
governmental program such as Medicaid or Medicare. If income is less than
current Poverty Income Level, facility services may be free. If income is
greater than but not more than double Poverty Income Level, services may be
provided at full charge, reduced charge, or free. Check the individual
notice of your facility. It is not necessary that applicants be U.S.
Citizens. Patient need only have been living in the U.S. for a minimum of 3
months. (Note: Hill-Burton facilities must provide a specific amount of free
care per year, but can stop services once they have given that amount.)
The Hill-Burton Act is administered by the regional office of the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services.

I would not begin to depend on this as a first or even third line of
defense, but as a last ditch hope. Medically Needy Medicaid is more likely
to be helpful [name may be different in other States, that is the Florida
term]. http://www.parenttoparentofga.org/spenddown.htm

http://www.wvdhhr.org/ofs/Policy/IMManual/Manual%20PDF%20Files/Chapter16/ch16_4.pdf

-Aula

Jeff
September 13th 03, 01:06 AM
"just me" > wrote in message
om...

> "llama mama" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > most hospitals will work out a payment plan. then there's always the
> > Hill-Burton act, which says hospitals can't refuse treatment even if the
> > client can't afford it...
> >

> You are correct about the Hill-Burton Act in that any hospital accepting
> public monies must provide a certain amount of care under that act, but,
> those funds tend to get exhausted very early in the fiscal year and are
very
> difficult to obtain, in my experience, due to that.

If a pregant lady goes into any emergency room in labor, they will take care
of her. However, to increase the odds of a good outcome, the baby and mother
need good prenatal care, including a plan to deliver the baby.

Anyone who is pregant needs to have good prenatal care. In this case,
because the mother is out of the country, a clinic or doctor identified
before the mother comes to the US, and doctors here in the US get all the
medical records before the mother leaves for the US. In addition, the
doctors here might want to ask the certain tests that are done in the US but
not overseas as part of the prenatal care be done over there. This might
also decrease the cost of care, because, at least these tests won't have to
be paid for.

Good luck.

Jeff

> From the web site:

http://www.infoline.org/InformationLibrary/Documents/Hill-Burton%20Act%20cw.asp
> HILL-BURTON ACT
>
> The Hill-Burton Act is a federal program which requires "obligated
> facilities" (health care facilities including hospitals) that have used
> federal money for facility reconstruction or modernization to provide free
> or low cost health care services to people living in the facility's area
who
> cannot afford to pay for the services. To be eligible, a person must not
be
> covered by, nor receive services under, a third-party insurer or a
> governmental program such as Medicaid or Medicare. If income is less than
> current Poverty Income Level, facility services may be free. If income is
> greater than but not more than double Poverty Income Level, services may
be
> provided at full charge, reduced charge, or free. Check the individual
> notice of your facility. It is not necessary that applicants be U.S.
> Citizens. Patient need only have been living in the U.S. for a minimum of
3
> months. (Note: Hill-Burton facilities must provide a specific amount of
free
> care per year, but can stop services once they have given that amount.)
> The Hill-Burton Act is administered by the regional office of the U.S.
> Department of Health and Human Services.
>
> I would not begin to depend on this as a first or even third line of
> defense, but as a last ditch hope. Medically Needy Medicaid is more
likely
> to be helpful [name may be different in other States, that is the Florida
> term]. http://www.parenttoparentofga.org/spenddown.htm

http://www.wvdhhr.org/ofs/Policy/IMManual/Manual%20PDF%20Files/Chapter16/ch16_4.pdf

> -Aula

Al Bell
September 14th 03, 11:23 AM
"1qa2ws" > writes:

>I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
>semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
>insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
>study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
>asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
>buy any... :( What should I do?

a) You might have promised the U.S. government when you got your visa that
you had health insurance and/or the ability to support yourself and any
dependents you brought over. On the UMSL international student handbook
site, see the section under "What is a 'Public Charge'?" here:

http://www.umsl.edu/~intelstu/current/handbook/family.html

In other words, it's possible that if you go to a hospital and get the
hospital really mad at you, the hospital could somehow call the government
and get you kicked out of the country. So definitely talk to UMSL
international student advisors as soon as possible.

b) Frankly, who knows that your wife is pregnant? How pregnant is she? Is
there any way you could apply for student health insurance and get away
with lying about the date of conception? Because, speaking
philosophically, how can you "know" that your wife is pregnant? We "know"
nothing. We are mere phantasms in the mind of God. If not knowing that
your wife is pregnant will get her health insurance, go for it.

c) If the UMSL counselors say your wife can qualify for the state health
insurance program for pregnant women even if she's in St. Louis on a
student visa, here's the URL:
http://www.mokids.org/health.htm

d) Go to the patient services representative at Barnes (or a hospital
affiliated with the UMSL medical school, if UMSL has a medical school, or
maybe a public hospital in St. Louis) and ask that person for advice.
Maybe you can work out a good deal with the patient services rep. The main
thing you know is assurances that the hospital won't try to get you
deported if you have a hard time paying the bills.

f) If worse comes to worse and your wife wants to go to St. Louis before
she delivers and you can't get any insurance, you could consider paying
cash for routine prenatal care, which probably cost be more than $1,000,
then have her carry around a folder that has her medical records in it.
When she goes into labor, she could just walk into Barnes with her patient
file and say, "Hi. You're delivering my baby!"

Sure, the ob/gyn won't have any idea who your wife is, but the ob/gyn who
decided that I should have my baby (because of preeclampsia) and the
doctor who delivered my baby had no idea who I was, and they seemed to do
a reasonably good job, under the circumstances.

Also: if the prenatal visits show that your wife has some obvious risk
factor, such as prenatal diabetes, you ought to go back to Poland about a
month before her due date and she ought to deliver in Poland, near
her family. Having a complicated delivery in a new country would be hell.

Hillary Israeli
September 14th 03, 02:25 PM
In >,
Al Bell > wrote:

*"1qa2ws" > writes:
*
*>I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
*>semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
*>insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
*>study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
*>asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
*>buy any... :( What should I do?
*
*a) You might have promised the U.S. government when you got your visa that
*you had health insurance and/or the ability to support yourself and any
*dependents you brought over. On the UMSL international student handbook
*site, see the section under "What is a 'Public Charge'?" here:
*
*http://www.umsl.edu/~intelstu/current/handbook/family.html

Using that link, and then following along to
http://www.umsl.edu/~intelstu/current/handbook/stayinghealthy.html
it appears that UMSL has mandatory health insurance for international
students. It doesn't say anything about their dependents, though. I
suppose it is entirely possible that he's allowed to get the insurance for
himself but not his family. I think the OP needs to go speak to the plan
administrator!

h.

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Wendy Marsden
September 16th 03, 10:15 PM
In misc.kids.health 1qa2ws > wrote:
> I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
> semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
> insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
> study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
> asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
> buy any... :( What should I do?

Have your wife deliver in Poland.

Wendy

dragonlady
September 16th 03, 10:34 PM
In article >,
Wendy Marsden > wrote:

> In misc.kids.health 1qa2ws > wrote:
> > I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
> > semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
> > insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
> > study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
> > asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
> > buy any... :( What should I do?
>
> Have your wife deliver in Poland.
>
> Wendy

That might be wise financially, but there is more to life than $$$. he
doesn't say how soon his wife is due -- I would hate to stay seperated
for several months extra, especially while I was pregnant. I would hate
to have given birth while my husband was on another continent. And, of
course, it will be at least a little while before mom and baby can fly
-- I'd hate to have to wait until the baby was a week old to see my
husband, introduce the baby. And I'd hate to have to fly alone with a
newborn!

I think I'd move heaven and earth to find a way for her to come here
before she gives birth.

meh

Banty
September 16th 03, 11:02 PM
In article >, dragonlady
says...

>In article >,
> Wendy Marsden > wrote:
>
>> In misc.kids.health 1qa2ws > wrote:
>> > I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
>> > semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
>> > insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
>> > study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
>> > asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
>> > buy any... :( What should I do?
>>
>> Have your wife deliver in Poland.
>>
>> Wendy
>
>That might be wise financially, but there is more to life than $$$. he
>doesn't say how soon his wife is due -- I would hate to stay seperated
>for several months extra, especially while I was pregnant.

OK - he goes back to Poland for awhile.

Banty

dragonlady
September 16th 03, 11:37 PM
In article >,
Banty > wrote:

> In article >, dragonlady
> says...
> >
> >In article >,
> > Wendy Marsden > wrote:

> >> Have your wife deliver in Poland.
> >>
> >> Wendy
> >
> >That might be wise financially, but there is more to life than $$$. he
> >doesn't say how soon his wife is due -- I would hate to stay seperated
> >for several months extra, especially while I was pregnant.
>
> OK - he goes back to Poland for awhile.
>
> Banty

Right.

Most graduate programs will not let you just go back home for several
months and then pick up where you left.

And most student visas also limit severely the amount of time you can
leave the country and still return.

That is probably the LEAST viable option for this couple.

meh

Banty
September 17th 03, 12:47 AM
In article >, dragonlady
says...

>In article >,
> Banty > wrote:
>
>> In article >, dragonlady
>> says...

>> >That might be wise financially, but there is more to life than $$$. he
>> >doesn't say how soon his wife is due -- I would hate to stay seperated
>> >for several months extra, especially while I was pregnant.
>>
>> OK - he goes back to Poland for awhile.
>>
>> Banty
>>

>Right.
>
>Most graduate programs will not let you just go back home for several
>months and then pick up where you left.
>
>And most student visas also limit severely the amount of time you can
>leave the country and still return.
>
>That is probably the LEAST viable option for this couple.

Why couldn't he take a break to go back? It happens relatively often in
engineering graduate programs. I had a Korean colleague go home for three months
to have a marriage arranged. And I'm talking a strigent research-oriented
engineering program.

Furthermore, the OP doesn't have to go home for "several months".

It's a great financial and medical risk to be giving birth without insurance.

There may be a motivation here as to citizenship for the child.

Banty

dragonlady
September 17th 03, 01:25 AM
In article >,
Banty > wrote:

> Why couldn't he take a break to go back? It happens relatively often in
> engineering graduate programs. I had a Korean colleague go home for three
> months
> to have a marriage arranged. And I'm talking a strigent research-oriented
> engineering program.
>
> Furthermore, the OP doesn't have to go home for "several months".
>
> It's a great financial and medical risk to be giving birth without insurance.
>

> There may be a motivation here as to citizenship for the child.
>
> Banty

That's true; if the baby is born here, he or she will have dual
citizenship. Possibly yet another good reason for her to come here, if
they want USA citizenship for the baby.

Not all programs will allow a break, especially if he has any sort of
financial aid, like a teaching assistantship.

There's also the finances of him taking an extra round trip ticket, vs.
just the one ticket for her.

meh