PDA

View Full Version : How to help keep your children from missing school

IndoorAirGuy
September 18th 03, 04:38 PM
Dear Friend,

Did you know the EPA has labeled indoor air pollution as our Nation's #1 Pollution Problem? The place we call home, our castle is making us miserable, and we don't even realize it! It's Crazy!

Ask Yourself the following questions...
a.. How many members in your family wake up with a runny nose and itchy eyes?
b.. How many members in your family are taking an allergy medicine?
c.. Moreover, how many times have your children missed school because of allergic reactions to indoor allergens, and your taking them to the doctor more than usual?

Mold spores, bacteria, and mildew thrive in dampened towels, wash cloths, and moist or humid areas. Your bathroom is a breeding ground for bacteria.

It is estimated that 60-70% of all Americans suffers from allergies, headaches and more serious asthma.

We participate in activities with our friends. We bring our children to gatherings and sports events. We send them to day care.

In fact we subject ourselves (and our children) to more allergens and bacteria on a daily basis. Take for instance doing our laundry. Clothes are stored in a place where bacteria festers. We then pull all the clothes out of the hamper where we stir up the air sending thousands of dust particles into the air and bring them to the washer where we separate them then use detergents (with bleach) that put a perfume into the clothes that we wear and breathe!!

And this is perfectly acceptable (NOT!). But we have to have a life! Yes, we do and if we were paranoid about all this no one would have a life! But this is not my point... Doing nothing about polluting our indoor air is not the answer. Taking precautions help, and helps a lot!

For years I wondered why my daughter constantly had a stuffy nose and frequent ear aches. We took her to the doctor who was exacting on diagnosis and treatment but did little else to help us solve the problem. It wasn't until I got ill that I looked into our INDOOR environment!

What is going into your lungs?

While you are probably saying "this is old news, my home is as clean as a whistle", my question is why has the EPA rated indoor air as the #1 pollution concern? Let me count the ways...

"I've had an Air purifier in my home since 1995, and it's all but eliminated my wife's allergy attacks and helped enormously with my son's asthma. He hardly ever uses an inhaler now." M. Sisco, Maine

Airborne pet dander, dried saliva from your best friend that breaks off the end of their hair and floats in air since they are so small is a common trigger for allergies and asthma. In addition, the feces from your pet emits added contaminates into the air as well. How many times has your best friend put his mark on your rug? Or worse, ever clean a cat litter box?

Up to 80% or the airborne particles that you see floating in a ray of sunlight consist of some of the 100,000 dead skin cells we shed, and, they just are not ours either! Consider your family and friends.

In addition, what about the "floaters" you see in your coffee at your favorite restaurant? Where do they come from?

About 40 pounds of dust is generated per 1,500 square feet of home space every year. Each speck of dust carries about 40,000 dust mites and other illness-causing bacteria and viruses.

Insects and bugs feces are also a powerful allergen. How much more susceptible to asthma are children living in homes that are not thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis (using biodegradable and hypoallergenic cleaning solutions)?

Dust mites, comprise over 50% of the weight of the average pillow, and this is where we place our head for 8-hours every night!

Air ducts serve as a fertile breeding ground for mold spores, and we use cheap filters to keep the furnace clean (hey, here's a point we have missed for over 40 years...The filter in most furnaces helps to keep your furnace free from dust and debris so that the blower does not become damaged!). Well, I suppose that was "OK" 40 years ago when homes had little insulation.

We literally poison the air we breathe with chemical fumes and toxins such as cleaning products, hair spray, spray deodorant, scented deodorizers, do-it-yourself furniture restoration kits, etc., etc.

Smoking in the home leaves the air being breathed dense with over 3600 cancer-causing toxins. These toxins also cling to the clothing we wear, and release when we enter other homes and buildings. Ever smell your clothing after you have been walking in the big city? Do they smell of car exhaust and other pollution? Wear them for a few days and you get a triple dose of pollutants...

So what do we do?

It's amazing! We go through our daily lives accepting the air we breathe in our work and home. We are so busy making a living, and because we have been educated we accept our illnesses as they are and do little to prevent them. Whoever coined the expression "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" hit the nail right on the head. The first action we must take is to prevent as much as we can. ...take charge of our indoor air...

We can take charge of our indoor air and control as many of the allergens and toxic fumes as possible. Remember, we spend one third of our daily lives indoors, sleeping. Our household furnishings spend all their time "out gassing" the chemical fumes so...

Start by getting an "air purifier"; A device that purifies the air, not a filter.

a.. If you have asthma or bad allergies, watch when the pollen counts are high and avoid being outside during those times.
b.. Avoid wood stoves and do not allow anyone to smoke inside your home.
c.. If you have pets, do not let them in your bedroom.
d.. Bathrooms must be ventilated to avoid trapping moisture that becomes a breeding ground for mold.
e.. Put pillows and mattresses in allergen protective covers and use your air purifier to sanitize them prior to covering.
f.. Use non-toxic cleaners where possible.

I've Got Central Air, so I'm good.

Buzzz...wrong answer! Many people feel central air is all that is needed in their home to provide their living space with clean air. The truth is that is just a starting point. Moreover, most of us who live in older homes don't have central air, so how do we start cleaning our indoor air? Quite simply, don't become paranoid, Get an air purifier, follow the list above and get on the EPA's mailing list or go to their web site for more information.

Q & A

Q What is an air purifier and how does it differ from an air cleaner?

A Simply put, an air purifier takes pollutants out of your indoor air without filters or harmful chemicals. A blend of science and technology that can cleanse the air inside your home.

There is way too much science to try and explain it so the best way to describe it is what is called a "thunderstorm in a box".

The affect a thunderstorm has on outdoor air is what our air purifier does.

I have been using one for over 3 years and quite frankly I won't shut it off. But don't take my word for it. Try it yourself, free.
For more information
Call 508-775-5989
You'll be glad you did!

Mark Probert