PDA

View Full Version : stool frequency

utkanbir
September 19th 03, 02:56 PM
Hi Everybody,

I have a 1,5 years son. He looks very healty , energetic . But this
stool frequency of 4-5 in a day makes me wonder whether there is
something wrong with him. Is this normal? What's the normal stool
frequency?

He does not eat much . Sometimes especially at nights he does not
want to eat his usual meal (at 8:30 pm) . (after eating his yogurd at
4:30 pm.) I wonder whether my baby eats normal , less than normal or
more than normal. According to his mum , he eats nothing! (she is a
mother , indeed) Anyway , any comments about this will help me great.

Kind Regards,
hope

Bill Fischer
September 19th 03, 05:55 PM
Four to five stools daily at 1½ years of age is a little unusual.

This might just reflect his diet. For example, if he is drinking a lot
of prune juice, that could do it.

When you say he is healthy and energetic, I am somewhat reassured that
his may not be a medical problem.

But I recommend that you discuss this matter with your son's pediatrician.

utkanbir wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I have a 1,5 years son. He looks very healty , energetic . But this
> stool frequency of 4-5 in a day makes me wonder whether there is
> something wrong with him. Is this normal? What's the normal stool
> frequency?
>
> He does not eat much . Sometimes especially at nights he does not
> want to eat his usual meal (at 8:30 pm) . (after eating his yogurd at
> 4:30 pm.) I wonder whether my baby eats normal , less than normal or
> more than normal. According to his mum , he eats nothing! (she is a
> mother , indeed) Anyway , any comments about this will help me great.
>

> Kind Regards,
> hope

Jeff
September 20th 03, 02:19 AM
This sounds a little often. What is the consistency of his stool? How big is
it? What color is it? How much does he drink? What does he drink?

A lot of kids who drink a lot of juice have frequent stools, especially in
the morning. They tend to be very soft or watery. Removing the juice from
the diet (or decreasing it to say 4 oz per day), increasing fiber, dairy
(like adding butter to veggies and giving yogurt so food takes longer to
digest) and bananas all help to firm up the stool.

Jeff

om...