PDA

View Full Version : Re: Help--babysitting opinions needed

CBI
September 20th 03, 06:54 PM
"Chive mynd" > wrote in message
> Hi, you seem to be a doctor, so let me ask you. The part I didn't make
clear
> is that this babysitter is my wife's best friend, so I am hearing this,
"She
> would never let anything happen to the baby"
>
> But a counter argument to that, and I am asking you because you're a
doctor, is
> this:
>
> "This guy has exposed Eva to herpes, and has slept with others with herps.
He
> won't get tested. He could have diseases such as oral herpes and pass
them on
> to the baby."
>
> In that situation, the baby is put at a risk no matter how nice this man
really
> is, correct??

I suppose you could go that route, and it is technically correct, but I
think it is a weak argument. Presumably, if he is a nice guy he will not be
exposing your child to genital herpes and exposure to oral herpes will come
no matter what you do. It is a common thing.

I think the stronger argument is to just have a policy that when people are
baby-sitting they should be devoting their attention to the child. They
should not be watching soaps, playing on the Internet, or entertaining
friends.

--
CBI, MD

Chive mynd