PDA

View Full Version : Re: Kids and cavities

nyscof
October 6th 03, 11:45 AM
"shirley" > wrote in message news:<ZG2gb.694496$uu5.113747@sccrnsc04>...
> Sealing takes about 30 minutes and is totally painless. We had Chris's
> sealed but not Kathleen's. Chris has the most unusual geography on his
> molars, tons of pits and grooves that are very difficult to clean, even with
> an explorer but Kathleen's almost perfectly smooth which can be cleaned very
> well and easily. Neither have cavities either but both have braces.
> Brushing is a bit more difficult now.
>
> Also, Kathleen has never had fluoride drops (as suggested by the Chairman of
> Pedo at my DH's dental school), and does have fluoridosis (tooth staining).
> She was not medicated (another reason it occurs), as a baby or toddler but
> she still has a few spots on her teeth. Go figure - even our dentist has no
> clue.
>
> Shirley
> Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Many common foods have high enough levels of fluoride to cause
fluorosis.
Baby chicken food, made from mechanically deboned chicken, is one -
because bone stores fluoride (as do teeth) and the mechanically
deboning process invariably gets bone dust in the finished product.
The same is for all mechanically deboned meats that make formed
products such as hot dogs, mcNuggets, vienna sausages, etc. but
chicken products show the highest amount.

Grape juices have very high levels of fluoride because of fluoride
containing pesticide residues. Juices made from skin-removed grapes
are better for kids. Many fruit juices and sodas have as much fluoride
as that of the tap water used to make it.

Tea and tuna fish are two foods with very high fluoride content. And
most all foods (in the highly fluoridated US, anyway) have some level
of fluoride.
Here's a website that lists some:

http://bruha.com/pfpc/html/f-_in_food.html

Dentist/researchers report that children who eat foods regularly with
high fluoride content can get fluorosis even if their water supply
isn't fluoridated and even if they aren't fed fluoride supplements.

Other surprising sources of fluoride are air pollution, ocean mist and
medicines.

In fact, it's virtually impossible to consume a fluoride-free diet.

New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
http://tinyurl.com/ad9k

Fluoride Action Network
http://www.fluoridealert.org