PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on obese kids in NYC

October 7th 03, 03:50 PM
I'm researching how New York City schools address childhood obesity. I
am looking for students (preferably in high school), their parents,
teachers or activists who are working with the city to find solutions.
Please e-mail me and tell me a little about yourself and I'll be happy
to explain more about what I am doing. Thanks!

JG
October 7th 03, 06:25 PM
"D" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm researching how New York City schools address childhood obesity. I
> am looking for students (preferably in high school), their parents,
> teachers or activists who are working with the city to find solutions.
> Please e-mail me and tell me a little about yourself and I'll be happy
> to explain more about what I am doing. Thanks!

It's not the job/responsibility of schools to "address" obesity; schools
(theoretically, at least) exist to educate kids. Why/how would a system
(*public* education) that's generally failed to accomplish its original
(sole) objective do any better at "helping" to reduce obesity???
Obesity is an *individual* problem best "addressed"/dealt with by the
obese individual, his/her family, and his/her health care
adviser/provider.

Markosito Probertosito
October 7th 03, 10:38 PM
"JG" > wrote in message
t...
> "D" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm researching how New York City schools address childhood obesity. I
> > am looking for students (preferably in high school), their parents,
> > teachers or activists who are working with the city to find solutions.
> > Please e-mail me and tell me a little about yourself and I'll be happy
> > to explain more about what I am doing. Thanks!
>
> It's not the job/responsibility of schools to "address" obesity; schools
> (theoretically, at least) exist to educate kids. Why/how would a system
> (*public* education) that's generally failed to accomplish its original
> (sole) objective do any better at "helping" to reduce obesity???
> Obesity is an *individual* problem best "addressed"/dealt with by the
> obese individual, his/her family, and his/her health care
> adviser/provider.

Agreed.

However, when they chenged the menu served in the lunchroom, my wife began
eating there. I stopped off one day as I was in the neighborhood, and the
food was wholesome, low in fats and sugars, and actually had a taste.

CBI
October 7th 03, 11:49 PM
"JG" > wrote in message
t...
> "D" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm researching how New York City schools address childhood obesity. I
> > am looking for students (preferably in high school), their parents,
> > teachers or activists who are working with the city to find solutions.
> > Please e-mail me and tell me a little about yourself and I'll be happy
> > to explain more about what I am doing. Thanks!
>
> It's not the job/responsibility of schools to "address" obesity; schools
> (theoretically, at least) exist to educate kids. Why/how would a system
> (*public* education) that's generally failed to accomplish its original
> (sole) objective do any better at "helping" to reduce obesity???
> Obesity is an *individual* problem best "addressed"/dealt with by the
> obese individual, his/her family, and his/her health care
> adviser/provider.

For the most part I agree.

Two possible exception:

1) The definition and dangers of obesity as well as eating habits would be
appropriate topics for a health class.

2) The food served at school should be reasonably healthy.

Other than that I think it is a problem that the kids and their families
should address and the schools shouldn't be expected to do much more.

--
CBI, MD

Markosito Probertosito
October 8th 03, 02:07 AM
"CBI" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "JG" > wrote in message
> t...
> > "D" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I'm researching how New York City schools address childhood obesity. I
> > > am looking for students (preferably in high school), their parents,
> > > teachers or activists who are working with the city to find solutions.
> > > Please e-mail me and tell me a little about yourself and I'll be happy
> > > to explain more about what I am doing. Thanks!
> >
> > It's not the job/responsibility of schools to "address" obesity; schools
> > (theoretically, at least) exist to educate kids. Why/how would a system
> > (*public* education) that's generally failed to accomplish its original
> > (sole) objective do any better at "helping" to reduce obesity???
> > Obesity is an *individual* problem best "addressed"/dealt with by the
> > obese individual, his/her family, and his/her health care
> > adviser/provider.
>
> For the most part I agree.
>
> Two possible exception:
>
> 1) The definition and dangers of obesity as well as eating habits would be
> appropriate topics for a health class.
>
> 2) The food served at school should be reasonably healthy.
>
> Other than that I think it is a problem that the kids and their families
> should address and the schools shouldn't be expected to do much more.

What they shouldn't do is to defeat the efforts of the parents by providng
crap for lunch.