PDA

View Full Version : Rhinocort Situation: Residual Effects?

Sal
October 8th 03, 04:11 PM
I have my 9 and 12 year old kids every other week. At their mom's house,
during the winter (now), they take Rhinocort (nasal spray form) daily.
They've done this for a few years now, so the majority of the time they are
not on it (i.e. the other 3 seasons). At my house, I'm not seeing daily
nasal problems with allergies, so I don't give it to them daily. When they
do have an issue, I give them Benadryl. In addition, for the last 6 weeks,
my daughter has complained of having minor headache/stomach ache/throat
problems at her mom's most of the week. She comes to my house, I give her
easy foods to eat and avoid milk products, and she usually feels better
within a day or 2.

Their mom has told me I need to give them Rhinocort daily, because not doing
it causes major allergic reactions at her house, despite her starting it up
again. She says it needs to continue daily to maintain the buildup of
"something". Is this true? Does Rhinocort use have a build-up effect that
lasts longer than 24 hours, or can it be used as needed? And if it does,
should I give them a "prep spray" the day before they're going to their
mom's house, or does it really need to go on all week? I've read some
articles on here discussing stopping Rhinocort after years of daily use, but
we're not quite there. Obviously things are likely different between the
households, but for this thread I'd just like to find out if it is necessary
to use Rhinocort constantly when used at all, and what negative effects
could occur when using it every other week like this. But, that said, if
there are other pitfalls that come out from the few givens in this message
(like using Benadryl one week and Rhinocort the next), and of course if I'm
not expressing enough information, I'd certainly appreciate
comments/questions.

Thanks.

Frances Warren
October 16th 03, 09:40 PM
When I started taking a Rhinocort nasal spray I was told by the doctor
that it would take 2 days before it started to work, so the assumption
there is that you take it consistently if you're going to bother taking
it at all. I actually find it works a bit quicker - maybe 24 hours - for
me, and if I stop taking it I have a delay of 24 hours before hayfever
starts up again.

Frances

Sal wrote:
> I have my 9 and 12 year old kids every other week. At their mom's house,
> during the winter (now), they take Rhinocort (nasal spray form) daily.
> They've done this for a few years now, so the majority of the time they are
> not on it (i.e. the other 3 seasons). At my house, I'm not seeing daily
> nasal problems with allergies, so I don't give it to them daily. When they
> do have an issue, I give them Benadryl. In addition, for the last 6 weeks,
> my daughter has complained of having minor headache/stomach ache/throat
> problems at her mom's most of the week. She comes to my house, I give her
> easy foods to eat and avoid milk products, and she usually feels better
> within a day or 2.
>
> Their mom has told me I need to give them Rhinocort daily, because not doing
> it causes major allergic reactions at her house, despite her starting it up
> again. She says it needs to continue daily to maintain the buildup of
> "something". Is this true? Does Rhinocort use have a build-up effect that
> lasts longer than 24 hours, or can it be used as needed? And if it does,
> should I give them a "prep spray" the day before they're going to their
> mom's house, or does it really need to go on all week? I've read some
> articles on here discussing stopping Rhinocort after years of daily use, but
> we're not quite there. Obviously things are likely different between the
> households, but for this thread I'd just like to find out if it is necessary
> to use Rhinocort constantly when used at all, and what negative effects
> could occur when using it every other week like this. But, that said, if
> there are other pitfalls that come out from the few givens in this message
> (like using Benadryl one week and Rhinocort the next), and of course if I'm
> not expressing enough information, I'd certainly appreciate
> comments/questions.
>
> Thanks.

Jeff
October 17th 03, 02:38 AM
I think what you need to do is go to the doctor's with their mom and get
everyone on the same page.

Jeff

amanda
November 10th 03, 08:35 PM
Sal,

Benadryl is Antihistamine; Rhinocort is steroid based.

I am required to use Rhinocort. I can tell you a lot fo info but right
niow I gotta run and do something. I will be back today and post
again.

amanda
November 10th 03, 08:35 PM
Sal,

Benadryl is Antihistamine; Rhinocort is steroid based.

I am required to use Rhinocort. I can tell you a lot fo info but right
niow I gotta run and do something. I will be back today and post
again.

amanda
November 11th 03, 05:50 AM
(amanda) wrote in message >...
> Sal,
>
> Benadryl is Antihistamine; Rhinocort is steroid based.
>
> I am required to use Rhinocort. I can tell you a lot fo info but right
> niow I gotta run and do something. I will be back today and post
> again.

I just tyoed a long response and lost it. If the kids are fine at
your house but not in her house, her house needs to be checked for
mold, etc. Also, she may want to put room air purifiers.

Why depend on med if there is a better way.

Also, the spray would last for about 24 hours or 12 hours in the
building is extremely moldy (I am using mold as the source of problem
bcause it is the source in my case). Building upo continuously is not
true. If they can cope without it at your house, then they do not
need it. But the key word is "cope".

"Coping" is not about staying one step ahead of getting too sick. It
is not "coping" in my dictionary because they may be able able to
function productively.

"Coping" to me is if they are able to breathe well, no scrathy thoart,
or other type of reaction, etc. and are able to function productively
and lead a normal life on daily basis.

I myself want to know about the long term use of Rhinocort. I haven't
used it lately but the other day, I used once. I have been outdoor
duuring the day lately, getting fresher air and hence was able to do
without it but it seems that my throat is a bit scrathy. I wil use it
before going to bed.

In summary, I use Rhinocort, only when I need it. But, in the past, I
waited too long and as a result, I would alraedy have throat infection
reqiring antibiotics. So now, I don't wait too long.

Since I am an adult,I can be the judge of when to use it. Your
children would not be able to do that but you may possibly be able to
train/guide them, i.e know their body, how they feel in thorat, etc.

I mean, how does the throat feel? Scrathty?

Do they feverish? Note that different people may have different
symptoms. Mine are either scrathy thorat or fever or both.

Note that Rhinocort doesnt help with post nasal drip. For that I use
Astelin. I have been doing ok without it; I use it when I feelt hat I
need it.

Thier mother's house need to get A/C air duct cleaned, carpet
shampooed, dusted thoroughly.

Have the kids have skin allergy tests? I am curious to know what is
the primary reason that the doctor give them Rhinocort. Was the
doctor an ENT?