PDA

View Full Version : Kid falling out of crib--help

Jim Beaver
October 10th 03, 12:15 AM
My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
problem. Any suggestions?

Jim Beaver

Leigh Menconi
October 10th 03, 12:27 AM
"Jim Beaver" > wrote in message
m...
> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced
this
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Jim Beaver

We put a mattress and boxsprings on the floor with pillows next to it and
let him roll out until he could manage to stay in. (There are also rails
you can put on a regular bed to keep them from falling out) We childproofed
his room so that he could safely be in there unsupervised and put a babygate
across the door to keep him from wandering around the house (which wasn't
completely childproofed) after he got up in the morning.

Leigh

Hillary Israeli
October 10th 03, 01:59 AM
In >,
Jim Beaver > wrote:

*My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
*started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
*without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
*practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
*problem. Any suggestions?

How young is she? My parents moved me out of my crib at 18 mos because I
was jumping out of my crib. I moved my son out at about 21 mos for the
same reason (well, that, and I needed the crib for a new baby).

not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

just me
October 10th 03, 02:21 AM
"Jim Beaver" > wrote in message
m...
> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced
this
> problem. Any suggestions?

Well, if you've got the mattress at the absolute lowest setting it may just
*be* time to move her to a mattress on the floor, or even a bed. We moved
DS from crib to regular single bed [and a tall one at that] at 18 months and
he did just fine. He was a very active sleeper, rolling all over the place
for a long time after that move, but placement against the wall coupled with
a railing bought at Wal-Mart on the other side and he never fell out of bed.
This also made night time toilet training easier, but that was later.

Good luck!

-Aula

Marty Billingsley
October 10th 03, 02:33 AM
In article >,
Jim Beaver > wrote:
>My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
>started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
>without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
>practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
>problem. Any suggestions?

Crib tent. You can get one at Babies R Us (or through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056HLX/qid%3D1065749540/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-5061164-2318515).

Outside of the US I don't know where you might find one. One of my twins has been
using one since she was about 12 months; she's perfectly happy with it
and reminds me to zip it up if I forget.

Cheers,
- marty
(mom to alex & andie, 2.5+)

Jeff
October 10th 03, 04:03 AM
"just me" <aula@no spam.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Jim Beaver" > wrote in message
> m...
> > My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> > started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> > without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> > practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced
> this
> > problem. Any suggestions?
> >

> Well, if you've got the mattress at the absolute lowest setting it may
just
> *be* time to move her to a mattress on the floor, or even a bed. We moved
> DS from crib to regular single bed [and a tall one at that] at 18 months
and
> he did just fine. He was a very active sleeper, rolling all over the
place
> for a long time after that move, but placement against the wall coupled
with
> a railing bought at Wal-Mart on the other side and he never fell out of
bed.

With railings and such, you have to be really careful that the kids can't
get stuck, like between the railing and the wall or the railing and the bed.

Jeff

> This also made night time toilet training easier, but that was later.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Aula

Rosalie B.
October 10th 03, 04:17 AM
x-no-archive:yes "Jim Beaver" > wrote:

>My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
>started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
>without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
>practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
>problem. Any suggestions?

Are the crib springs at the lowest setting? When is she doing this?
In the morning? at night? at naptime?

Why do you think she's too young for her own bed? How old is she?
Most of mine were out of a crib by the time they were 2 at the latest.

grandma Rosalie

Sue
October 10th 03, 05:06 AM
How old is your daughter?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Jim Beaver > wrote in message
m...
> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced
this
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Jim Beaver

James and Karen Stewart
October 10th 03, 01:39 PM
How old is she ? My son was climbing out of his crib, at a very young age
and so we moved him to a toddler bed with bed rails....I think he was around
18 months I felt he was to young also but it was either put him in the bed
or have him falling out of the crib. It wsa really hard because we have a
two storey home and he was sharing a room with his sister at the time, we
had to put up a gate but we also had to get up with his sister and let her
over the gate because she was just new to the potty at the time.
I remeber her waking me up, crying at the gate because she wanted out, but
couldn't get over the gate to go pee.

I had a toddler bed for him with a rail on the side ...it worked well..just
put a gate at the door..you may find her sleeping on the floor some morning
because she has gotten out...but at least she will still be in her room.

Karen

"Jim Beaver" > wrote in message
m...
> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced
this
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Jim Beaver

lynn
October 10th 03, 03:39 PM
In article >,
"Jim Beaver" > wrote:

> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Jim Beaver

Do you mean she's climbing out? I assume you've lowered the mattress all
the way and raised the rails to their full height.

Friends of ours had this problem and used a crib tent that fit over the
top of the crib. Worked great. Search for crib tent on-line.

- Lynn

Karen
October 10th 03, 03:56 PM
Jim Beaver wrote:

> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Jim Beaver

How old is she? If she is falling out of her crib it is time for a regular bed.

You could tent her crib (see Right Start catalogs etc......) but I question how
they will
hold up against a really determined child.
My son went into a toddler bed after breaking his arm at 17 months 'climbing'
out of his crib, which
was at the lowest mattress setting with the sides up and locked. Better to
spend time teaching her how to
stay in bed/in her room then going to the ER with a concussion or broken limb
from falling.

Karen

Jenn
October 10th 03, 04:28 PM
In article >,
"Jim Beaver" > wrote:

> My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced this
> problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Jim Beaver

when they can get out they are no longer 'too young to have their own
bed'

Caroline or Greg :P
October 10th 03, 10:57 PM
I know I put my son in his own bed at 18 months. Didn't need the rails as
he stayed on the bed on his own but boy I had to rebabyproof the room lol...
Toddler beds are great. THey are close to the ground and they have a
railing that keeps them from rolling off... GOod luck

Caroline

--
God made us to be individuals so why stoop to be a copy? - Billy Graham
"Hillary Israeli" > wrote in message
> In >,
> Jim Beaver > wrote:
>
> *My daughter is too young to have her own bed, but she's tall and she's
> *started tumbling over her crib rail. I've googled all over the place
> *without finding a product to extend the height of her crib rails in a
> *practical manner, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's ever faced
this
> *problem. Any suggestions?
>
> How young is she? My parents moved me out of my crib at 18 mos because I
> was jumping out of my crib. I moved my son out at about 21 mos for the
> same reason (well, that, and I needed the crib for a new baby).
>
> --
> hillary israeli vmd http://www.hillary.net
> "uber vaccae in quattuor partes divisum est."
> not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)

Jenn
October 12th 03, 04:33 PM
In article
. rogers.com>,
"Caroline or Greg :P" > wrote:

> I know I put my son in his own bed at 18 months. Didn't need the rails as
> he stayed on the bed on his own but boy I had to rebabyproof the room lol...
> Toddler beds are great. THey are close to the ground and they have a
> railing that keeps them from rolling off... GOod luck

on the other hand, who wants to have to buy many different beds for one
kid -- if one has a toddler bed given to one or one of those convertible
crib sets great -- but I wouldn't buy a toddler bed -- just get the twin
size mattress and springs and start on the floor if necessary

YMMV