PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cocksackie Virus

Ken
October 19th 03, 06:31 PM
Hi.

My child is just about 18 months old. Starting around 7 months old,
he's gotten what his pediatricians have called Cocksackie virus about
every three or four months (he's had it about 4 times so far). It
manifests itself as a fever in the 100-103 degrees range. He also
gets blisters in his throat--though not on his hands or feet. The
symptoms are more annoying than severe. The fever is able to be
controlled with baby Tylenol. His appetite decreases, and
occasionally he'll vomit, but he still eats and drinks enough to get
through the 7 to 10 days it takes for the virus to work itself out.
The first time he got it, my wife did, too. So she knows first hand
(or mouth) that those throat blisters can be pretty painful. Though,
as I said, the Tylenol seems to do the trick, and though it is clear
he is uncomfortable, the illness has always passed without incident.

My question is about the recurrence of this illness.

Is it common for this to recur every few months? Our boy has been in
daycare since before the first occurrence. The daycare folks have
always said that no child was sick (there are six kids in his group)
when he gets sick. Our doctor has said that this illness is so
common, that it is quite likely that some kids did have Cocksackie,
but that the daycare providers just did not know it. In fact, he
said, even a runny nose can be an indication that Cocksackie is
present. As to the recurrence, the doctor said that there are many
different strains of Cocksackie (the CDC website says there are 23
Cocksackie A and 6 Cocksackie B strains), so he is probably just
getting different strains.

Has anyone else experienced this type of recurrence? I noticed that
in a 10/23/98 post to this newsgroup (from Sharon, subject "Re:
Cocksackie Virus"), someone had said that while Cocksackie is an
enterovirus, its symptoms can be confused with a much more severe,
recurring herpes simplex virus. Should I be asking our pediatrician
to rule out herpes?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ken

Tsu Dho Nimh
October 19th 03, 08:50 PM
(Ken) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>My child is just about 18 months old. Starting around 7 months old,
>he's gotten what his pediatricians have called Cocksackie virus about

Coxsackie virus is the correct spelling ...

>My question is about the recurrence of this illness.
>
>Is it common for this to recur every few months? Our boy has been in
>daycare since before the first occurrence.

>different strains of Cocksackie (the CDC website says there are 23
>Cocksackie A and 6 Cocksackie B strains), so he is probably just
>getting different strains.

Yes - and unfortunately, infection with one strain is not
protection against the others.

"The virus spreads easily from mouth to mouth, or from feces to
hand to mouth, and usually strikes children between 6 months and
4 years of age. It's highly contagious and is easily transmitted
through coughing and sneezing. Not surprisingly, outbreaks are
common in daycare centers."

"As with colds, your baby will be immune to the virus he already
had, but there are many strains of coxsackie. You can take
precautions such as washing your hands regularly and trying to
avoid infected children, but it's impossible to completely
prevent a child from catching the illness if he's exposed to an
infected person."

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or

Ken
October 20th 03, 01:46 AM
Oops. I just realized its spelled "Coxsackie."

(Ken) wrote in message >...
> Hi.
>
> My child is just about 18 months old. Starting around 7 months old,
> he's gotten what his pediatricians have called Cocksackie virus about
> every three or four months (he's had it about 4 times so far). It
> manifests itself as a fever in the 100-103 degrees range. He also
> gets blisters in his throat--though not on his hands or feet. The
> symptoms are more annoying than severe. The fever is able to be
> controlled with baby Tylenol. His appetite decreases, and
> occasionally he'll vomit, but he still eats and drinks enough to get
> through the 7 to 10 days it takes for the virus to work itself out.
> The first time he got it, my wife did, too. So she knows first hand
> (or mouth) that those throat blisters can be pretty painful. Though,
> as I said, the Tylenol seems to do the trick, and though it is clear
> he is uncomfortable, the illness has always passed without incident.
>
> My question is about the recurrence of this illness.
>
> Is it common for this to recur every few months? Our boy has been in
> daycare since before the first occurrence. The daycare folks have
> always said that no child was sick (there are six kids in his group)
> when he gets sick. Our doctor has said that this illness is so
> common, that it is quite likely that some kids did have Cocksackie,
> but that the daycare providers just did not know it. In fact, he
> said, even a runny nose can be an indication that Cocksackie is
> present. As to the recurrence, the doctor said that there are many
> different strains of Cocksackie (the CDC website says there are 23
> Cocksackie A and 6 Cocksackie B strains), so he is probably just
> getting different strains.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this type of recurrence? I noticed that
> in a 10/23/98 post to this newsgroup (from Sharon, subject "Re:
> Cocksackie Virus"), someone had said that while Cocksackie is an
> enterovirus, its symptoms can be confused with a much more severe,
> recurring herpes simplex virus. Should I be asking our pediatrician
> to rule out herpes?
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ken

Wendy
October 23rd 03, 10:44 PM
Ken wrote:
> Is it common for this to recur every few months? Our boy has been in
> daycare since before the first occurrence. The daycare folks have
> always said that no child was sick (there are six kids in his group)
> when he gets sick.

At one point in the childcare career of my three kids we changed to a
center that required everyone (grownups and children) to immediately wash
their hands when they first arrived for the day.

Our incidence of illness dropped dramatically in our entire
family. Stunningly. Amazingly. We were no longer getting all the germs
from six different school systems. We didn't have to wonder if they had
washed their hands after wiping their butt that morning. Our
viral-triggered asthma episodes dwindled to nothing.

If there is any way you can get your daycare provider to insist on a
hand-washing routine when people come through the door, please do. Good
luck, though, I've never been able to get anyone to change their
handwashing behavior. I just cringe when I see co-workers leaving the
bathroom without using the sink.

Wendy